Working for canadian company from thailand

I am interested in living in Thailand for an extended period with my wife and 2 children. During this period I would manage my software business in Canada through the Internet from an office or home. I am 43 and Canadian.

Any suggestions on the type of permit I would require?

hy,

officially you need a work permit but...

as you probably have a software selling biz on the net it all is to much bother if the only thing you need to do is edit your website and send download codes to your customers.

if you need to export or package your stuff you need work permit, export license, company here and so on.

If you dont need that just get an Non O immigrant if possible from your country and work at home and just pretend to be a tourist for a few years.

A friend of mine does exactly the same and just takes money from his visa card or via bank transfer into thailand.

non O should give you at least one year with visa run every three months (for every member of famillie). you can come on tourist and get non o here but its a hassle and illegal by law yet many people do it. starting something here just for your stay would seem over the top ( why would you wanna pay taxes times two).

if anybody asks you how do you make your money just say you live from a relative or a fund from overseas.

thais are all to happy to see money coming in.

bart

Zendesigner's comments about a Class O visa only applies if your wife is a Thai citizen.

But I concur with the gist of his reply - you basically don't need to do anything special - just keep a low profile.  Your main concern will be with entry permits - unless you can get a work permit and extended non-immigrant visa, you will have to leave Thailand frequently (at 30 to 90 day intervals) to renew your visa.

To get the work permit and extended non-immigrant entry permit, you will have to either incorporate a Thai Privite Co. Ltd, or open a Regional/Representative Office of you company here.  Frankly, its cheaper to make visa runs.  If you want more info on starting a business (or opening a rep office) here, my company can help.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

[email protected]

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the advice. I lived on Phukey all of last year working out of my home.

The Thai gov should encourage this because all I did was make money in Canada and spend it in Thailand!

I'm trying to figure out a way of doing it again, but this time I want to work in an office with a better Internet connection (and no screaming kids  :o )

Trooper