What Mobile Phone Are You Using ?

Who, me ?

Nokia N70. Decent phone with EDGE connectivity, and since it's an S60, works wonderfully with Linux when I need a mobile connection.

Otherwise it handles phone calls and there's not much more I expect of a phone; those SMS, pictures and such simply don't interest me.

Nokia 1100 &%$ I think. Just a phone, no gadgets, don't want them, don't need them.

Pro: If I lose it I wouldn't mis one minute of sleep over it. Great battery life!

Con: If it rings I am supposed to answer...

Nokia 1100 &%$ I think. Just a phone, no gadgets, don't want them, don't need them.

Pro: If I lose it I wouldn't mis one minute of sleep over it. Great battery life!

Con: If it rings I am supposed to answer...

:o:D very true, for the con thing

Edited by Who, me ?

There was the exact same thread about two months ago on this topic. Many posters recommended the Nokia 3110 Classic. I picked one up on their recommendations, and couldn't be happier: A good price (3,000-3500 baht), lots of connectivity options, can use as a modem, decent camera/video, MP3, voice recorder, plenty of PIM (Personal Information Management) functions. The main thing I like is easy and intuitive connectivity with my PC's data, using Nokia PC Suite software. Easy synchronization and file transfers.

Oh yeah, it makes phone calls too.

I've got a HTC TytnII. I quite like it, except that it's a Windows Mobile device, and as such will not talk to any of my other devices [mostly Ubuntu based]. Drives me crazy, it's got WIFI, Bluetooth and USB, but can't transfer any files or sync the PIM etc without having that stupid windows only program that everything has to go through.

I'm just waiting for the Android to come out and I'll be all over it, then probably give the HTC to my wife. It takes nice pictures, she'll like that.

Samsung Omnia

Pro: Wi-Fi,GPRS,GPS Nav,5Mb Camera with flash.Oh and a phone in there somewhere?

Seems ok,the same size as Apple i-phone but without copyright /sim hassles.

Con: Really chews up the battery power using the GPS and not as detailed mapping as a garmin

with the ESRI Thai map

Sony Ericsson k790i upgraded from a SE k750i. Main reason for upgrade, EDGE capability.

Pros:

GPRS/EDGE capable

Sony Cybershot 3.2Mp autofocus camera with xenon flash.

MP3 player

E-mail/Web browser built in

Charges off the USB port while connected to the Internet

Good battery life

Cons:

Proprietary USB & charging cable.

Too many features to remember how to use them all. :o

Samsung duo simcard with 3 mpx Cam. If you use 2 phones for 2 sims then buy this phone its indispensable. You can use any networks, mine is one for call diversion from oz and the other sim is Dtac. Simply switch between the 2

Nokia N73 Music Edition ..... Symbian, S60, Edge (through DTAC GPRS) great camera (3.2Mp), good music player (Ipod is better and louder)

THB 9,900 .... Initially prone to hang if you install third party applications. Got the latest software update from Nokia Care. No problems anymore.

Samsung B500 ... nice little slide phone. Not many features, but does a good job for calling and sms.

THB 2,000 or less ....

Edited by sniffdog

Just as an aside to this...........what would be the best to do? Buy a sim free, unlocked one from home country, and buy a Thai simcard when out there. Or buy one in the likes of Tukcom, Pantip etc?

I am thinking mainly the price camparison side of things. If a model in home country is about the same as one in Thailand itself, then i guess its best to go with brining one from home. If theres a VAST difference in price then its best to go with buying one in Thailand.

Thing is there dont seem to be that many prices quoted in the various websites

Penkoprod

Nokia 2630, very slim. now selling around 2,600. superb for basic needs such as a VGA camera, MP3 ring tones etc etc.

pro: What I like about it is that its really light and slim.

con: forget about loading a bit more than average memory draining games.

highly recommended.

Just as an aside to this...........what would be the best to do? Buy a sim free, unlocked one from home country, and buy a Thai simcard when out there. Or buy one in the likes of Tukcom, Pantip etc?

I am thinking mainly the price camparison side of things. If a model in home country is about the same as one in Thailand itself, then i guess its best to go with brining one from home. If theres a VAST difference in price then its best to go with buying one in Thailand.

Thing is there dont seem to be that many prices quoted in the various websites

Penkoprod

It would help if you told us what is your home country.

Depending on the exchange rate of your country to the baht it could save you money to buy in yr home country.:o

Samsung duo simcard with 3 mpx Cam. If you use 2 phones for 2 sims then buy this phone its indispensable. You can use any networks, mine is one for call diversion from oz and the other sim is Dtac. Simply switch between the 2

Do you have to pick which sim is active at any one time, or are they both live at the same time ?

Sounds like this may be a good solution for me if they can somehow both be active.

You can do some comparison here > http://www.tohome.com/mobile.aspx The prices are probably on the high side relative to a walk in shop but gives an idea. Bought my last two phones from them, mainly due to the convenience.

Thanks for that !!!! :o

It just confirms what i thought in the 1st place. Best to either bring one with you, either to get one unlocked, or bring a sim free one on the one hand, or buy a cheap and cheerful one for use as a phone only, without all the bells and whistles.

The prices arent THAT dis-similar to UK ones, model for model, and i aint that lucky to be in the right place at the right time to get a deal good enough to be tempted on getting one in Thailand

Penkoprod

Do you have to pick which sim is active at any one time, or are they both live at the same time ?

Sounds like this may be a good solution for me if they can somehow both be active.

Both active at the same time and they even ring a different tone and if you want to call via either sim card just press a button 0n the side of the phone and it switches. But only one sim can be primary for edge or email download.

Both active at the same time and they even ring a different tone and if you want to call via either sim card just press a button 0n the side of the phone and it switches. But only one sim can be primary for edge or email download.

Brilliant, thank you. I will look to get one, I am sick of lugging two phones about.

Sony Ericsson k790i upgraded from a SE k750i. Main reason for upgrade, EDGE capability.

Pros:

GPRS/EDGE capable

Sony Cybershot 3.2Mp autofocus camera with xenon flash.

MP3 player

E-mail/Web browser built in

Charges off the USB port while connected to the Internet

Good battery life

Cons:

Proprietary USB & charging cable.

Too many features to remember how to use them all. :o

I started with a K750 and moved to the K790, which is now with my wife. Tried Nokia N95, couldn't live with the horrible battery life nor the bulk. Traded in for the LG Viewty, which had slightly better battery life and a touchscreen - but the software was beyond terrible.

Traded that in for a Sony C902, which is essentially an upgrade of the K850/K790/K750. Don't know why I even bothered to switch manufacturers at all, this phone is superb, though no touchscreen nor WLAN. Pros are as Tywais described, plus 5mp camera. The only additional con is that the software is sometimes slow and appears to hang, but generally if you wait a bit it will right itself.

O2 Flame

Pros: Great VGA large screen used for GPS mapping. Long 4 days battery life (with the new Mugen battery I got for it). Additional Nvidea graphics chip great for watching movies on the road.

Cons: Windows Mobile 5 needs mem cleaning softwares running each day. 3G doesn't work in Thailand, but almost anywhere else.