Where Can I Buy Quality American Groceries?

DegenFarang

Gotta agree with Naam... yes... Bud beer is a bit of watered-down horse's piss.... but... it is AMERICAN horse's piss...so gotta give it some credit for that.... And.. I say that as an American... :o

On the other hand, Miller's tastes like fermented lawn grass clippings... So it's really hard to choose between the two...

So if you can't decide, just drink Coors instead.... since water has no taste anyway... :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta agree with Naam... yes... Bud beer is a bit of watered-down horse's piss.... but... it is AMERICAN horse's piss...so gotta give it some credit for that.... And.. I say that as an American... :D

On the other hand, Miller's tastes like fermented lawn grass clippings... So it's really hard to choose between the two...

So if you can't decide, just drink Coors instead.... since water has no taste anyway... :D

Do you know where it can be purchased in Bkk, I love Coors. :o

Gotta agree with Naam... yes... Bud beer is a bit of watered-down horse's piss.... but... it is AMERICAN horse's piss...so gotta give it some credit for that.... And.. I say that as an American... :o

Well seeing as I am unlikely to come across a bud, coors, miller or ol milwalky, would it be ok to just drink Corona instead tonight?

Ya... it's a strange thing re Thai beers (and we now are getting seriously off thread).

But I can drink Leo all night and feel fine the next day. But I drink just one or two Singhs, and hangover like crazy...

It's strange how we react differently. :o

I can drink Singha and/or Leo all night, but 1 or 2 bottles of Chang gives me a bad hangover.

Oh.....Chang draft is also OK. :D

Ya... it's a strange thing re Thai beers (and we now are getting seriously off thread).

But I can drink Leo all night and feel fine the next day. But I drink just one or two Singhs, and hangover like crazy...

It's strange how we react differently. :o

I can drink Singha and/or Leo all night, but 1 or 2 bottles of Chang gives me a bad hangover.

Oh.....Chang draft is also OK. :D

Me too, the Chang is the problem. Years ago when I used to come on holiday it would make me physically sick. Now that my body is used to <deleted> quality beer I can stomach it, but the hangovers are unpleasant...

• 2 months later...

:D:D:D:o

I would think the best place to find it is in America, not Thailand.

Reminds me of one guy I saw sitting in Ozzie BBQ restaurant at Siam bit*hing to the poor waitress, "You don't have Budweiser, why not?!"

yes well food alone is not reason enough to live in america. and while i do enjoy eating thai food i miss quality food from my home country as well. i'm not bitching that they don't have quality food everywhere and widely available. but take a thai person to any foreign city and if there isn't at least one good thai food restaurant and supermarket there they will be a very unhappy camper.

congratulations on being so emmersed in the culture that you eat nothing but pappaya salad and grasshoppers, take a non aircon bus to work, drink sangsom, send money to isaan and do all of your clothes shopping at chatuchak.

:burp::D:wai::P :jerk:

What happened with making your own OJ?

Go to the local market, practice your Thai for free and come home with a bag of oranges and squeeze the juice out of them.

Serve with some ice cubes and you have the best tasting juice compared to anything sold in cartons or botlles.

Ready made pasta sauce, are you guys serious?

Ready made meals?

Bagels?

:o

• 1 year later...

I like American things; Halle Berry, Dell computers, Japan and Molson are but a few examples. ...

Sorry... But Molson is Canadian.... Originally from Montreal.. They also used to own the Montreal Canadians hockey team.

So is Labatts.... Both too good for the Thai market.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

I would think the best place to find it is in America, not Thailand.

Reminds me of one guy I saw sitting in Ozzie BBQ restaurant at Siam bit*hing to the poor waitress, "You don't have Budweiser, why not?!"

yes well food alone is not reason enough to live in america. and while i do enjoy eating thai food i miss quality food from my home country as well. i'm not bitching that they don't have quality food everywhere and widely available. but take a thai person to any foreign city and if there isn't at least one good thai food restaurant and supermarket there they will be a very unhappy camper.

congratulations on being so emmersed in the culture that you eat nothing but pappaya salad and grasshoppers, take a non aircon bus to work, drink sangsom, send money to isaan and do all of your clothes shopping at chatuchak.

Boy if I knew it was gonna be this easy to wind you up, I would have joined this thread earlier. :o

up to you

wow, thats the worst comeback I Have ever heard. You appear to have no sense of humour. Also, you seem to be demanding the response you want and not the one warranted by the tone of your op.

I just came back from grocery shopping at the Villa Market Sukhumvit Soi 11, and WOW, some kind of BIG shipment must have just arrived. Because right now, they seem better and more fully stocked than almost any time I can remember in the past year.

I don't know if all the different Villa's get their new stocks at the same time from a central warehouse, or if it varies by store location. I'd assume they are supplied from a central point in BKK. So it may well be that other Villas are similarly replenished right now.. Anyone have any experience at other locations of late???

In any event, to the OP, among other things, they had a couple of cases of pretty good avocados (Thai version) on display in the produce section... I've been thinking a lot of avocados lately after a friend and his Thai wife here in BKK treated me lately to some homemade guacamole. She fixed it herself under his direction, and it was excellent.

On a side note, I was out to lunch today at La Casa Italian restaurant on Sukhumvit near Soi 12 and had a very good real crab and real avocado salad for lunch for about 250 baht... I asked my Thai companions, "what's the Thai word for avocado?".. and they said..."there isn't" a Thai word for that vegetable... And...as far as I can tell, it's not used anywhere in Thai cooking.

The Thai word is AWOCADO, it does not translate into Thai , so they just change the V to a W sound, but very ,very few Thais would know anything about them. I have a falang friend who is actually growing them commercially, just starting to get some fruit. Can't wait to get some.

Anyway, back to Villa, right now, they have fresh half gallons of Florida's Natural OJ (not the crappy, sugary stuff offered by Malee and Tipco), all kinds of baking and flours and cereals, canned Rosarita frijoles, and more and more...

As an aside, in the produce section, they also had full-length bundles of fresh aparagus for 22 baht apiece. Usually, they have the packages of the cut tips for a similar price. Today I saw the full length fresh spears.

Needless to say, I blew my food shopping budget for the month...but came home happy.

:o:D

Avocado is supposed to be in a lot of the Sushi rolls, especially the "california" ones. Might be able to get a word of it from one of them. I will make a note to check when I am there.

I just came back from grocery shopping at the Villa Market Sukhumvit Soi 11, and WOW, some kind of BIG shipment must have just arrived. Because right now, they seem better and more fully stocked than almost any time I can remember in the past year.

I don't know if all the different Villa's get their new stocks at the same time from a central warehouse, or if it varies by store location. I'd assume they are supplied from a central point in BKK. So it may well be that other Villas are similarly replenished right now.. Anyone have any experience at other locations of late???

In any event, to the OP, among other things, they had a couple of cases of pretty good avocados (Thai version) on display in the produce section... I've been thinking a lot of avocados lately after a friend and his Thai wife here in BKK treated me lately to some homemade guacamole. She fixed it herself under his direction, and it was excellent.

On a side note, I was out to lunch today at La Casa Italian restaurant on Sukhumvit near Soi 12 and had a very good real crab and real avocado salad for lunch for about 250 baht... I asked my Thai companions, "what's the Thai word for avocado?".. and they said..."there isn't" a Thai word for that vegetable... And...as far as I can tell, it's not used anywhere in Thai cooking.

There is no Thai word,they simply change the V sound to a W sound, AWOCADO. However there would be very, very few Thais that would know what they are.They are definitely not used in Thai cooking. I have a falang friend who is growing them commercially. They are jist starting to fruit. look forward to getting some ,soon.

Anyway, back to Villa, right now, they have fresh half gallons of Florida's Natural OJ (not the crappy, sugary stuff offered by Malee and Tipco), all kinds of baking and flours and cereals, canned Rosarita frijoles, and more and more...

As an aside, in the produce section, they also had full-length bundles of fresh aparagus for 22 baht apiece. Usually, they have the packages of the cut tips for a similar price. Today I saw the full length fresh spears.

Needless to say, I blew my food shopping budget for the month...but came home happy.

Avocado is supposed to be in a lot of the Sushi rolls, especially the "california" ones. Might be able to get a word of it from one of them. I will make a note to check when I am there.

There is no Thai word,they simply change the V sound to a W sound, AWOCADO. However there would be very, very few Thais that would know what they are.They are definitely not used in Thai cooking. I have a falang friend who is growing them commercially. They are jist starting to fruit. look forward to getting some ,soon.

Read above for info about Thais and avocado