Uk Prepaid Phone Sims

Digitalbanana

I know nothing about the UK phone systems these days.. whats the best option to have a prepaid phone SIM on arrival at Heathrow? Where do they sell them? Best value for money? I have a GSM phone and just want to swap out my DTAC card when I get there for a local card. Need it for calls and occasional web access if possible.

Thanks for all advise.

I know nothing about the UK phone systems these days.. whats the best option to have a prepaid phone SIM on arrival at Heathrow? Where do they sell them? Best value for money? I have a GSM phone and just want to swap out my DTAC card when I get there for a local card. Need it for calls and occasional web access if possible.

Thanks for all advise.

Most of the pre-paid sims are now free in the UK as long as you top-up by a minimum amount. They can be obtaimed via ads on the internet. O2 and Orange pre-paid sims will give you web brousing.

Your best bet is to ask a friend in the UK to obtain one for you, activate it in the UK and put in some credit and then post it to you in LOS. I obtained a UK Sim this way. The UK Sim "roamed" whilst in LOS & I could top it up whilst in LOS.

You may be able to buy one in Heathrow at Dixons or even an O2/Orange shop but I'm not 100% sure.

In Heathrow terminal 5, when you arrive, go up to the upper level and there is a Vodaphone shop there. A Vodaphone SIM costs 5 English pounds and the staff will activate it for you and you can buy a top up while you are at it. I was in and out of the shop, with a functioning mobile phone in just 10 minutes.

Thanks guys, looks like some choices there... I need to buy something real in a shop as I won't have a mailing address to send a SIM to in UK, so will try the Heathrow shops first... last time I went a couple yr s ago it wasn't easy to know where to shop for this and I went without. I just need to surf the net on my mobile and possibly make an emergency local call or two.. no plans to call International or Thailand and I'll only be there (UK) a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the Lebara one. I have just researched this. Uses the Vodaphone network. CHeap all round; very cheap for international calls; cheap for UK calls. Only downside is that they disconnect the Sim if you don't use it for 80 days, which could be a problem if you come over to LOS for a couple of months and don't use it. So I would suggest that you don't port your number across.

I sent an email to Labara asking them about the 80 day expiry; they advise that they can freeze your number when you go abroad, and can unfreeze it just before you come back, so it does not expire. Only thing is you have to remember to do it! If you port your number over, it still expires after 80 days.

I have been using a OneTel sim for many years (again using the Vodaphone network). Onetel got bought by Opal Telecom. I thought I had a good deal on this (5 quid per month; 6p pm =10p pm using a cheap access number, but still expensive for regular calls); but this Labara looks cheaper and no wasting half a min of air time waiting for my phone to send the Thai number through (stored as 08445702410p00668123456789 on my SIM), with occasional wasted calls when the connect does not work. I don't need data as I have a Three Skypephone for that (5 quid per month unlimited internet plus free Skype calls if I top up 10 quid every 3 months).

So I have just ordered a SIM on their website, and if that works out, then I will get them to port my number over and dump the Opal one. 5 quid a month can buy 83 minutes of calls a month to Thailand :o

Talkmobile do something similar http://talkmobile.com/world.html

They also do a pay monthly with only 30 days notice for £6 a month. For that you get 50 minutes and 50 texts free to the UK or 25 minutes and 25 texts free to Thailand (or any combination thereof) and 60 other countries. It's called 'Simple' sim only:

http://talkmobile.com/pay_monthly.html

Does anyone know if the Vodafone pay as you go phone SIM expires? Cannot see any info about expiry on web site. I've got 57p left on mine and don't expect to rtn to UK for another year or more!

Sorry not sure about Vodafone specifically, but I have has many other brands of UK PAYG sims and every one expires after between 3 to 6 months if not used. With O2, I even lost my account balance!

Its prob cost you more than 57p in electric posting on here :o:D:D

I suggest you check out 'Martins Money Tips' website, it has a wealth of info about cheapest UK deals on most topics.

Dave