Extension Based On Retirement Using Banked 800k

You only need the current bank book showing a balance of 800K minimum for the last 3 month,

plus a letter from the bank, confirming the balance.

So copies only going back 3 months? Sounds good. Also note that not all offices actually require the top up to be seasoned 3 months for SUBSEQUENT extensions based on retirement when using the 800K. All do for the FIRST time extension.

So copies only going back 3 months? Sounds good. Also note that not all offices actually require the top up to be seasoned 3 months for SUBSEQUENT extensions based on retirement when using the 800K. All do for the FIRST time extension.

Yes there have been a lot of posts on this.

But I don't think I would take the chance ot it not being accepted and then having to make border runs until it was there 3 months as the rules clearly call out.

Yes there have been a lot of posts on this.

But I don't think I would take the chance ot it not being accepted and then having to make border runs until it was there 3 months as the rules clearly call out.

Up to you.

I took a copy of all pages in my current Bank book, just in case.

I was asked for copies of all the used pages including the inside cover with my personal details at the front of the book.

So my 25 satangs worth, copy them all, then you are well prepared for whatever they ask for.

marshbags :o

I was asked for copies of all the used pages including the inside cover with my personal details at the front of the book.

So my 25 satangs worth, copy them all, then you are well prepared for whatever they ask for.

I agree you need the date page with name and account number. I bet you most officers would accept a year's history, but as I have to admit this isn't a huge issue, maybe you are right, hand it all over.

Marsh, which immigration office did that? And how recent or far back???

My original quote edited out.

Marsh, which immigration office did that? And how recent or far back???

Nongkhai, 3 months ago.

It was also a probable marker for activity and the continued use of my account. ???

This for me is not a problem and i personally consider it reasonable.

Possibly considered Off topic and definitely not a reference to you jfc, just a bit of positve stuff asto how i have been treated at N.K.

My experience, since dealing with them direct ( chose to ignore the Udon office due to negativity before it closed ) has all been positive,( to offset possible repeated negative comments on our local facility. ) :o

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

3 months in sufficient, however, I also take with me - in case it's requested - a certified statement from the bank which shows the money coming into Thailand from o/seas a number of years back (I keep a minimum 800 000 in an account solely to fullfil the requirements) living expenses I bring in as required.

Well, now I have been here awhile and it feels silly to give immigration copies of my bank book going back for years. Will copies going back about 1 year be accepted? Is there is a specific written rule about how far back the records need to be?

At Bangkok Immigration Office Suan Plu beginning of August I supplied copies of bank book pages back to the date of the transfer that took it over 800,000 (plus the name page). They kept only the pages for the last 3 months (the date that the bank letter stated, which was May 1). I was not asked to supply proof that the transfer was from abroad (it could be seen from the code in the bank book, though). I WAS asked to sign a paper stating that I understand that ALL subsequent extensions will also require 800,000 Baht to be in the bank for 3 months.

Edited by lothda

For what its worth, I did my forth, one year extension at Jomtien ,Pattaya immigration a couple of weeks ago.

What they wanted was a copy of each page of the current bank book.This book is about a year old.

This book is a three month time deposit, with separate amounts on 6 different pages, that come due at different times.

I copied each page, plus the page with my name and account number on. I signed each page, as they always want you to.

Additionally they wanted a letter from the bank confirming the account, total amount deposited in this account, and my full name.

It was also signed by me.

Its worth noting, that your name on the bank account should match exactly the name in your passport, or they can say its not you.

Also check that the bank letter shows your name exactly as per the bankbook and your passport name, and the total amount of money in the letter exactly matches what your book pages show you have.

I once had a letter that said I had a million Baht ( you only need 800,000). After they wrote the letter the book got updated to show about a million and ten thousand.

Immigration would not accept it, as the two amounts did not match, even though either amount was more than they needed.So I had to go back to the bank and get a new letter.

As I live and bank in Pattaya, this was a minor inconvenience.

But if your bank was upcountry where you lived, and you travelled to Pattaya for your visa and got the letter thrown out it could be a real pain.

One other thing. Whilst I was waiting my turn, the farrang in front of me, who was with his Thai wife, and looked about 70, had his one year extension rejected.

The reason for rejection was that the bank letter was more than three days old.

They lived and banked in Nakon Sawan ( about 6 hours from Pattaya).They had come down to do the extension and stay for a couple of nights holiday in Pattaya.

Now they would have to do another round trip to nakon Sawan, get a new bank letter and come back within three days to try the immigration lucky dip again.

So make sure your bank letter is current when you go to immigration, just in case.

:o

Edited by bottleymike

One other thing. Whilst I was waiting my turn, the farrang in front of me, who was with his Thai wife, and lookedabout 70, had his one year extension rejected.

The reason for rejection was that the bank letter was more than three days old.

Ouch! That really seems harsh. Oh well. I was once grilled by an officer when I got the letter on Friday and showed up on Monday, but he let it by. He wanted to confirm that I hadn't touched the account over the weekend.

...One other thing. Whilst I was waiting my turn, the farrang in front of me, who was with his Thai wife, and looked about 70, had his one year extension rejected.

The reason for rejection was that the bank letter was more than three days old...

In Samut Prakan when I asked they said the bank or embassy letters had to be less than 3 DAYS old !

[in Samut Prakan when I asked they said the bank or embassy letters had to be less than 3 DAYS old !

If this is really true you can forget getting the embassy letter by mail. Since extentions cannot be made anymore in Bangkok it would be almost impossible to use embassy letters if you live in a remote area.

[in Samut Prakan when I asked they said the bank or embassy letters had to be less than 3 DAYS old !

If this is really true you can forget getting the embassy letter by mail. Since extentions cannot be made anymore in Bangkok it would be almost impossible to use embassy letters if you live in a remote area.

The income letter from the embassy is a different animal and the validity is longer than 3 days. More like 3 months

The income letter from the embassy is a different animal and the validity is longer than 3 days. More like 3 months

Indeed. If an officer indeed did require the embassy letter to be that fresh that was probably some kind of fluke, certainly not policy. Bank accounts are very fluid, reports of annual income, not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, my experience at Jomtien was this:

I handed over a copy of the entire bank book.

They kept the front page with name and account number and current year's record and handed back the copies of the older pages.

So, at Jomtien at least, copying the entire bank book is not needed.

I opened a special book for this purpose: a fixed account with one year deposit. As a result every year one or two lines are added in that book and a copy of one page gives a view on many years.

Some weeks before the renewal I get my bank letter at a convenient time. I also do not have to worry about new transactions after that letter, since the interest-date is not yet reached.

I showed this book already a couple of years at the immigration office in Mae Sod; never any problem.