Why Is It So Hard To Have Foreign Friends Without The Intimate Relationship?

MidoriApple

considering your apparent complete lack of familiarity with even very basic principles of Thai culture. Has no one told you about stuff like naam jai?

ceramic jars of water outside their homes It's a visible reminder of the Thai tradition of hospitality.

Since he was complaining about always paying for everything....

He should not expect anyone to offer him a glass of water?

So you mean he should know Naam jai does not apply to him?

He should bring money and food into any household he visits?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

considering your apparent complete lack of familiarity with even very basic principles of Thai culture. Has no one told you about stuff like naam jai?

ceramic jars of water outside their homes It's a visible reminder of the Thai tradition of hospitality.

Since he was complaining about always paying for everything....

He should not expect anyone to offer him a glass of water?

So you mean he should know Naam jai does not apply to him?

He should bring money and food into any household he visits?

I'm assuming AmeriThai was winding him up. He seems to have disappeared anyway. Probably a tourist.

naam jai?

Kindly translate.

R U there MG?

naam jai?

Kindly translate.

R U there MG?

Into what? Thai? น้ำใจ As for meaning, why don't you ask the OP or MetroGirl/Teacup. Both of them are Thai...

Ohh alright, I'm here once again……by popular demand

Naam Jai = hospitality

Thai's naam-jai = thai's hospitality

kindness to visitors: friendly, welcoming, and generous treatment offered to guests or strangers

Small doses of thai's hospitality can be charming, but very imposing in larger ones – it can make you feel seriously uncomfortable.

To point-blank just say NO because you don't want to be bothered sometimes - would be considered a slap in the face to them.

Ok back to bed now, for me - u know, beauty sleep :D :o

MKAsoke: Sorry I did not know the basics of Thai culture was for me to pay for everything, include random things she wants on the street. (sorry for not writing back straight away, I guess I have other things to do...)

Also to make a point I am western, therefore my friends should show some regard for my beliefs and values, same as I don't order beef in front of my Indian friends or eat pork when with Jewish friends.

Metrogirl: No problem, I was just explaining why most Thai/Farang friendships don't work for me personally, I don't need to be more open minded and it is not a stereotype - it is my personal experience.

Also I am not desperate for a Thai girl, I do quiet well socially in every country I have been to, I did not need to come to Thailand for that reason, in fact when I came here I was completely uninterested in Asian girls (that changed over time).

MKAsoke: Sorry I did not know the basics of Thai culture was for me to pay for everything, include random things she wants on the street. (sorry for not writing back straight away, I guess I have other things to do...)

Also to make a point I am western, therefore my friends should show some regard for my beliefs and values, same as I don't order beef in front of my Indian friends or eat pork when with Jewish friends.

Metrogirl: No problem, I was just explaining why most Thai/Farang friendships don't work for me personally, I don't need to be more open minded and it is not a stereotype - it is my personal experience.

Also I am not desperate for a Thai girl, I do quiet well socially in every country I have been to, I did not need to come to Thailand for that reason, in fact when I came here I was completely uninterested in Asian girls (that changed over time).

Well, is ok..... you are freely do or think as you wish/ cheers

Thankyou for permission to think freely, unfortunately I cannot control my experiences to be more suitable to you and I am also very sorry to you for meeting some Thai girls who were just after money - after all that would be my fault wouldn't it????

Thankyou for permission to think freely, unfortunately I cannot control my experiences to be more suitable to you and I am also very sorry to you for meeting some Thai girls who were just after money - after all that would be my fault wouldn't it????

Is not your fault....I just felt a bit sad that I was sympathy you might be desperate for meeting only Thai gold-diggers,

but you not!, apparently.... you are doing fine...

Well, I cannot confirm Thai people to be only good, no any bad...I guess, foreigners as well.

But if you will be pessimistic for "all" Thai girls as per your own experiences, you have the right to do so...I really mean it.

Again, do or think as you really want..... your life is yours, isn't it? :o