Only Thaksin Could Unlock Country's Problems : Anand

george

I don't think "most Thais" support Thaksin, but it also depends on how you define "support". Don't forget that Democrats got more votes than PPP on the national party/national politics/national leaders list - and that's the list by which you should judge ideological changes you love to talk about.

Let's say there is a referendum with one question - Should Thaksin come back and to take charge of the country and to

solve all the problems his way?

There's no doubt in my mind that it will be defeated by a large margin, and there's no doubt in anyone's mind that political figthing will only become worse and nothing will be solved if Thaskin is allowed back in.

Will there be people who'd say "I still love Thaksin, I'll vote for him to come back"? Sure, plenty of them. Who do you think those would be? I assume rural farmers.

Now, let's look at the numbers - agriculture adds only 10% to Thai GDP, and we have to deduct farmers in the South and elsewhere, and farmers who don't support Thaksin, even in Isan it's not 100% solid, and farmers at the top of the food chain who might have middle class outlook (they also produce and contribute relatively more).

My initial estimate is not that far off even in the strict sense.

Next, you accused me of saying that millions of Thaksin supporters shouldn't count because they are poor. That is not what I said. I said that YOU can't ignore and you can't fight people who contribute 99% to country's wealth, and this is exactly what will happen if the alleged majority would have its way.

Reminds me of an old article in Database about smart ID cards. The commission sat down and voted that there is enough memory on them to comply with specifications. Of course you can't vote that 28MB is more than 32, but that's exactly what they did. You can't vote that Thaksin will come back and everything will be just fine. It won't, no matter how many votes he gets.

One of your assumptions is that Thaksin's appeal is limited to uneducated rural farmers.I think he has a far larger constituency.

As to the referendum you are probably right, though the margin might be smaller than you think.Most Thais simply want to get on with their lives.

I'm not going to comment on your points about wealth creation.I'm assuming economics is not your field but happy to discuss separately.

I don't see any end to all this until there is a recognition of at least some positive contributions from Thaksin.At the moment there are still millions of Thais who still see Thaksin as someone who gave them dignity and hope.They probably feel now the elite, rather as you do, treats them with contempt.

A far more mixed appeal may be better imho. Looking at how the PPP vote is, and assuming it largely reflects Thaksin support (many argue this). Up North East he enjoys rural support at about two/thirds of those who bother voting. In the North he enjoys 50-60% support. In the central region it is around 40%. Down South he enjoys support of about 10% of those who bother voting. In Bangkok it is at least 30%. In the East it dips lower than Bangkok - Chonburi about 20% at best.

Support for and against Thaksin is spread countrywide. Even in the South he has his supporters and even in the rural Isaan he has his detractors. Right now I wouldnt want to guess on the outcome of a referendum on whether he should return or not. It may well come down to those who dont usualy vote and what arrangement is made for all those that have to travel long distances to vote. Events are also moving at such a pace that opinion polls may be out dated by the time they are released.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand has a leadership crisis, it's everywhere, in every sphere of public life. Abhisit is nice guy, and so was Chuan, but they are not a leadership material. Thaksin was probably the best, but he was too small himself to command respect from anyone higher than farmers.

If anyone wonders why the PAD is so concerned about security maybe you should look at this photo and see what they are making sure doesn't happen to them.

TH

Erm....and who do you think funded and supported the murderers of these poor students? And what is the link with PAD?

Answers on a postcard please.

Is it a safe statement to say that most foreign press are in support of the current government; and against PAD? At least CNN, BBC, CCTV, Aljazeera, CNA, TNA, AP Reuters, Bloomberg etc, IMHO, has been bias in support of the current Thai government.

Or is it just a courtesy of the media to take side of current governemnt in power, regardless, just to make sure that they are not banded from selling their media in that country?

What do you think? I would like to hear if there is any international reputable media that pro PAD? Please leave ASTV, TOC & NBT out.

I don't seem to have any difficulty whatsoever finding media articles from ALL sources that are highly critical of the current government on just about any issue or topic. Just about every News Clipping Forum thread is bursting with them.

I think many overseas media can't get past the

"if a government is voted in then that is democracy"

issue.

"Self censorship" - with few exceptions, events are reported only in a "seems to fit the picture" manner!

Which of the mentioned (major) news channels has a correspondent who is at the scene AND has enough background to really get what is going on, most of the time it's only hearsay reported or what is called 'contacts', political lobbyists, party PR or like most of the time, they all feed on one single report by one of the large, world wide news agencies as REUTERS/AP/UP/UPI/AFP/TASS and they tend to push articles which tend to make it into the headlines!

Does anyone know if BBC's Bangkok Correspondent Jonathan Head is fluent in Thai?

Most what I have read in foreign press about this conflict and politics in Thailand, with very few exceptions, the core of the story was somewhat 'close' to the real core of the situation, but hardly ever spot on!

And specially 'live-reports' are very much prone to (unknowingly maybe) report a manipulated picture, even if they are present at the scene of the event, the reporters have to rely on a local interpreter, translator of what is going on and here is plenty of room for deception, polarization... depends on the knowledge of the reporter and of course who the interpreter is working for, leaning towards to, if the foreign journalist hasn't enough genuine insight he will only report what he gets told...and pretend that this is what the "news" are!

Edited by Samuian

issue.

"Self censorship" - with few exceptions, events are reported only in a "seems to fit the picture" manner!

Which of the mentioned news channels has a correspondent who is at the scene AND has enough background to really get what is going on, most of the time it's only hearsay reported or what is called 'contacts" political lobbyists, party PR or like most of the time, they all feed on one single report by one of the large, world wide news agencies as REUTERS/AP/UP/UPI/AFP/TASS and they tend to push articles which tend to make it into the headlines!

Most what I have read in foreign press about this conflict and politics in Thailand, with very few exceptions, the core of the story was somewhat 'close' to the real core of the situation!

And specially 'live-reports' are very much prone to report a manipulated picture, to whom could, unless they are present at the scene of the event and really independent, they respond, the reporters have to rely on a local interpreter, translater of what is going on and here is plenty of room for deception, polarization... depends on the knowledge of the reporter, if he hasn't enough genuine insight he will only report what he gets told....what the "news" are!

The elections equals democracy and none of the other stuff matters meme has also gained prominence since the advent of George W. Bush who has parachuted elections and therefore democracy into a few countries although a cursory examination of said places would not exactly result in the descrition of democratic in any meaningful way. They do however have elections and that bar is enough for them to be part of the "world community" and more importantly sign free trade agreeemnts, pass laws giving their natural resources to foreign countries etc. Thaksin was brilliant in that he saw that was all the west was interested in when discussing democracy and that all the other trappings could be thrown away.

by the way everyhting you write about the media is sad but true. They mostly pander to entetainment or gorier versions of it anyway these days and intellectual stuff like politics is not as entetaining as affairs, scandals, riots and killings and wars etc, and so gets only a cursory and as you state "seems to fit the picture" approach. Also dont forget we live increasingly in a sound bite world where analysis takes far too long to read or think about to interest many.

Is it a safe statement to say that most foreign press are in support of the current government; and against PAD? At least CNN, BBC, CCTV, Aljazeera, CNA, TNA, AP Reuters, Bloomberg etc, IMHO, has been bias in support of the current Thai government.

Or is it just a courtesy of the media to take side of current governemnt in power, regardless, just to make sure that they are not banded from selling their media in that country?

What do you think? I would like to hear if there is any international reputable media that pro PAD? Please leave ASTV, TOC & NBT out.

I don't seem to have any difficulty whatsoever finding media articles from ALL sources that are highly critical of the current government on just about any issue or topic. Just about every News Clipping Forum thread is bursting with them.

Critical articles on the present government from both the international and local press are very common, hardly surprising given its incompetence and the perception it is directed by Thaksin.It is much more difficult however to find a reputable international press or media outlet supportive of the PAD:in fact the coverage has been wholly negative focusing on its repulsive leadership and reactionary ideology.If there had been a supportive piece from a well regarded source we can be sure you would have posted it since by your own admission you only post articles consistent with your rather one dimensional view of Thai politics.

issue.

Which of the mentioned news channels has a correspondent who is at the scene AND has enough background to really get what is going on, most of the time it's only hearsay reported or what is called 'contacts" political lobbyists, party PR or like most of the time, they all feed on one single report by one of the large, world wide news agencies as REUTERS/AP/UP/UPI/AFP/TASS and they tend to push articles which tend to make it into the headlines!

Most what I have read in foreign press about this conflict and politics in Thailand, with very few exceptions, the core of the story was somewhat 'close' to the real core of the situation!

And specially 'live-reports' are very much prone to report a manipulated picture, to whom could, unless they are present at the scene of the event and really independent, they respond, the reporters have to rely on a local interpreter, translater of what is going on and here is plenty of room for deception, polarization... depends on the knowledge of the reporter, if he hasn't enough genuine insight he will only report what he gets told....what the "news" are!

The elections equals democracy and none of the other stuff matters meme has also gained prominence since the advent of George W. Bush who has parachuted elections and therefore democracy into a few countries although a cursory examination of said places would not exactly result in the descrition of democratic in any meaningful way. They do however have elections and that bar is enough for them to be part of the "world community" and more importantly sign free trade agreeemnts, pass laws giving their natural resources to foreign countries etc. Thaksin was brilliant in that he saw that was all the west was interested in when discussing democracy and that all the other trappings could be thrown away.

by the way everyhting you write about the media is sad but true. They mostly pander to entetainment or gorier versions of it anyway these days and intellectual stuff like politics is not as entetaining as affairs, scandals, riots and killings and wars etc, and so gets only a cursory and as you state "seems to fit the picture" approach. Also dont forget we live increasingly in a sound bite world where analysis takes far too long to read or think about to interest many.

Bush and Florida was in my mind when i wrote this , didn't want to pick on it.. but however there is a "Watergate" every day, somewhere, but as you write for most it gets boring, Britney Spears bad dressing, Spice Girls underwear and Beckham's last affairs, boobs on page 2, are much more likely to be consumed by drooling readers, then any intellectual analysis of a certain conflict or political affair, besides few even have any interest in such topics, yes, it mirrors the sorry state of a morally bankrupt consumerist society in the 21st Century!

reading some topics crisscross, in this forum regarding more insight in political events, tells a short and clear story!

Look at the recent [press stunt about the "big bail out".... :o bail 'em out... genuine tax reform, health care reform, no lets get the big bucks rollin' we print fresh dough... hey, hey it's party time!

After all, if they have served their term, they will never be responsible for anything, unless someone takes them to court... as in Taxins case!

After all, I do think that Anands message was: "take off your hands, let the meddling!"

Well, now the ball is in Somchai's court...

Edited by Samuian

Unbelievable statement considering the source. Thaksin's presence in this country at the moment would cause massive problems.

Thaksin is the problem and rather than "unlocking" he should be locked up as the criminal he surely is. :o

yeah sure, he should be chain-ganged alongside that criminal, incompetent quartet from hel_l, Sonthi Boonyaratglin - Sondhi Limthongkul - Abhisit Vejjajiva - Surayud Chulanont who are mainly responsible for the sorry state Thailand now find itself in

Throw 'em in a 7x10 foot cell with only a 42" plasma TV and a bottle of claret per week (1 crystal glass only) to share between them, that'll teach 'em a lesson :D

issue.

Bush and Florida was in my mind when i wrote this , didn't want to pick on it.. but however there is a "Watergate" every day, somewhere, but as you write for most it gets boring, Britney Spears bad dressing, Spice Girls underwear and Beckham's last affairs, boobs on page 2, are much more likely to be consumed by drooling readers, then any intellectual analysis of a certain conflict or political affair, besides few even have any interest in such topics, yes, it mirrors the sorry state of a morally bankrupt consumerist society in the 21st Century!

reading some topics crisscross, in this forum regarding more insight in political events, tells a short and clear story!

Look at the recent [press stunt about the "big bail out".... :o bail 'em out... genuine tax reform, health care reform, no lets get the big bucks rollin' we print fresh dough... hey, hey it's party time!

After all, if they have served their term, they will never be responsible for anything, unless someone takes them to court... as in Taxins case!

After all, I do think that Anands message was: "take off your hands, let the meddling!"

Somchai is no doubt now checking he has the support, twisting arms etc so that he can soldier on until the next crisis. Failing that he will probably risk elections rather than resign. He will only resign if all other avenues are closed.

I would guess that they will try and coalesce aroubnd the lets await the report outcome to play for time even though we already know the cause of the death and that the government ordered the action from a very well independent person. It will be a time play if they can pull it off. It will also raise tension.

A resignation and a new PM would be the best outcome right now which probably means it wont happen. Howeer, I hope to be proven wrong

I'm not going to comment on your points about wealth creation.

A few people who control Toyota Motor here create as much business and wealth for the country as a million of farmers. Yes, sure, farmers are important in more ways than I can possibly count, but it's not the issue here - the issue is that Thaksin's return is opposed by relatively few people who really make this country work, on a day to day basis, by people who are expected to stand up and save the country from effects of global crisis. The government cannot afford to fight them, and pretend it's on behalf of the farmers.

>>>

Don't confuse support for Thaksin as a person and support for what will happen if he is allowed to return to power.

Critical articles on the present government from both the international and local press are very common, hardly surprising given its incompetence and the perception it is directed by Thaksin.It is much more difficult however to find a reputable international press or media outlet supportive of the PAD:in fact the coverage has been wholly negative focusing on its repulsive leadership and reactionary ideology.If there had been a supportive piece from a well regarded source we can be sure you would have posted it since by your own admission you only post articles consistent with your rather one dimensional view of Thai politics.

The same as everyone else, I post articles that are supportive of my various positions. :o

Don't recall too many reports supportive of the government as I'm sure the Thaksinistas would post them too.

Edited by sriracha john

Somchai is no doubt now checking he has the support, twisting arms etc so that he can soldier on until the next crisis. Failing that he will probably risk elections rather than resign. He will only resign if all other avenues are closed.

I would guess that they will try and coalesce aroubnd the lets await the report outcome to play for time even though we already know the cause of the death and that the government ordered the action from a very well independent person. It will be a time play if they can pull it off. It will also raise tension.

A resignation and a new PM would be the best outcome right now which probably means it wont happen. Howeer, I hope to be proven wrong

Hope not!

Has been assumed in another thread - his follow up could easely be "Father of the gunslingers", Don Chalerm!

Oh' dear, Oh' dear... :o

as he is a known rogue, not many will want to cross his path! (Asumingly he with his mate Kowit was behind the crackdown!)

On the contrary, this move would certainly erase the remaining % of confidence in this government, if there still is any left at all.

Let's see and watch as the drama unfolds...to be continued....

Edited by Samuian

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying.You appear to concede most Thais support Thaksin but because they are not dealing with the arbitrary issues you mention they somehow don't count.Then you say the situation in fact no longer applies compared with five years ago.Then you ludicrously say or imply that the majority of Thais make up no more than 1% to the country's wealth and well being.This is all disagreable fascist nonsense rather typical of the frustrated lower middle class, and also economic illiteracy.I see you are also quoting h90 as a intellectual source.Says it all really.

Well this sure comes off as

Patronizing

Showing condescending favor;

assuming the manner of airs of a superior toward another.

It also comes across as denigrating towards h90.

I'll take patronizing any day over the other.

At least THAT is not flaming a bystander.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying.You appear to concede most Thais support Thaksin but because they are not dealing with the arbitrary issues you mention they somehow don't count.Then you say the situation in fact no longer applies compared with five years ago.Then you ludicrously say or imply that the majority of Thais make up no more than 1% to the country's wealth and well being.This is all disagreable fascist nonsense rather typical of the frustrated lower middle class, and also economic illiteracy.I see you are also quoting h90 as a intellectual source.Says it all really.

Patronizing

somehow I missed that there is a discussion about my humble person.....

But I feel honored.

Patronizing

But I feel honored.

After all interesting twist in the story, be showered with Laurels, may the grace of Daphne and the gods shine upon you!

Patronizing

But I feel honored.

After all interesting twist in the story, be showered with Laurels, may the grace of Daphne and the gods shine upon you!

It seems the gods do no shine on some square faces anymore....Some Laurels are free to be used as seasoning.

Astonishing statement. I would imagine it will steel his resolve even further and no doubt inflame the ire of the PAD.

Let's get serious. Neither the PAD nor the army or even anyone else, even though they show bias towards PAD should not be feared. It is the PEOPLE who decide. they went to a polling booth. What is the sense of having a democracy when a handful of anti democratic elements united in PAD will dictate what must happen.

Arnand is right of course, but in order for Thaksin to do something he probably wants to have something in return. let;s say the same thing as the people who placed a bomb under a car, or the people who shot on policemen seem to get. Immunity from prosecution. In any society there are double standards, but in Thailand they are so obvious and shameless that there is not one reason for government supporters not to take on the PAD far harsher than they did before. It is for me shocking that an army general thinks that an elected government should go. In any non banana republic, the army general would have found himself without work after such an interview. But we can make an estimated guess when this turmoil might be over. Most PAD leaders are in their 70's, so within ten years the problem has solved itself. In the meantime every day more Izan boys and girls learn to realize that the elite has robbed them and their parents from a decent live over the last 100 years, and thus the voice of the rural poor will grow stronger and stronger till they will really take over the country, just as it happened in Europe and the Americas, and just as it will going to happen in South East Asia and the Middle East. Bob Dylan knew already that the times are changing. Now it is time for the men in uniform, being it the army or the police or the doormen in white uniform to come to terms with the new reality. The PAD is just the last spastic moves that a dead dead system is making.

It always amazes me how quickly these topics go skidding off the rails. The very first poster complete mis-reads the statement and obviously has no knowledge of Khun Anand or his politics and from there it goes skidding into a US election of 8 years ago. Seriously how does such a bizarre chain of logic take place?

Anand is in no way a supporter of Thaksin, has often been gently critical of him in fact. Anand just said that if Thaksin truly quit Thai politics (i.e. stop trying to pull the strings of PPP, stop being the final source of approving ministers and PMs, and mostly stop funding PPP and and UMD) then Thai politics would quickly settle back into the same old, same old. But as long as the money is rolling in to stir the pot then this stuff will never end. It does not require him to come back to turn off the money tap either.

Really.

I'm not going to comment on your points about wealth creation.

A few people who control Toyota Motor here create as much business and wealth for the country as a million of farmers. Yes, sure, farmers are important in more ways than I can possibly count, but it's not the issue here - the issue is that Thaksin's return is opposed by relatively few people who really make this country work, on a day to day basis, by people who are expected to stand up and save the country from effects of global crisis. The government cannot afford to fight them, and pretend it's on behalf of the farmers.

>>>

Don't confuse support for Thaksin as a person and support for what will happen if he is allowed to return to power.

Plus ,

Sorry Plus, I used to enjoy your posts, but since you put on your yellow blindfolds I can't stand them anymore.

You just forgot one simple principle .

They day Toyota thinks it's no longer worth investing a satang in Thailand they will walk away from this land in a second. Do you think 1 million farmer could do as much ???

Unbelievable statement considering the source. Thaksin's presence in this country at the moment would cause massive problems.

Thaksin is the problem and rather than "unlocking" he should be locked up as the criminal he surely is. :o

Unbelievable Statement you put on this bog...I think you just one of the naive person that flow with the Trent........ With out him Thailand will be still in Republc banana(1997) right now...and still under the world bank watch eye.... I think you probably have a very short memory. Every leader in Asian and aboard is admire him. the skill of Managing the economic.... Japan and China is studying his managing system and the Indonesia and Philippine government is implement his style of Management right now. I think he is the only one can get Thailand out of the problem......

Unbelievable Statement you put on this bog...I think you just one of the naive person that flow with the Trent........ With out him Thailand will be still in Republc banana(1997) right now...and still under the world bank watch eye.... I think you probably have a very short memory. Every leader in Asian and aboard is admire him. the skill of Managing the economic.... Japan and China is studying his managing system and the Indonesia and Philippine government is implement his style of Management right now. I think he is the only one can get Thailand out of the problem......

So, if I understand you correctly, before Thaksin Thailand was a Banana Republic (but not sure what 1997 has to do with it?) and was under the World Bank's watchful eye (as a Banana Republic correct?), but since Thaksin's regime started (2001) Thailand became such a world-beating example of economic governance that even Japan and China (plus all other Asian leaders) have been flocking to Thaksin's door to understand how he managed it? And now Indonesia and Philippines are implementing the Thaksin style of management (presumably to great effectiveness judging by the Philippines current economic state). Am I correct? :D

At least your conclusion concurs with that of Anand, but for slightly different reasons I suspect. :D

Sorry but this is just crazy talk.

Erm....and who do you think funded and supported the murderers of these poor students? And what is the link with PAD?

Answers on a postcard please.

I well understand your point and who is on which side this time around.

But my point remains that scenes like these have happened in the past, and the PAD is going to make sure they are not defenseless if attacked. The PAD may be idealistic in their expectations, but they are pragmatic in their preparations.

TH