Thai Or Non Native Singers

Jockstar

Generally I dont have a problem with this.I have many Thai friends in bands In Bangkok. But i have to say. I am in Penang at the moment. I went to see a local playing some songs. ###### ###### it was terrible. I dont have a problem with guys who can sing and maybe get the words wrong or are slightly out off tune occasionally. But this Malay guy was ###### absolutely shit.His guitar playing was pretty good but his singing was shocking to put it mildly. I can't sing or play the guitar but i'll tell you this i could sing better than this guy, and thats saying something. I would say like a cat on speed but it wasn't that high. I was a very very deep voice. It gave me a headache it was so bad. He started off by doing an acoustic set. Ok! He can play. But when he started to murder Let it Be. I really wanted to go home. So i gave him the chance.I love the Beatles.He then went on to rape Imagine. What are you doing mate? If it wasn't enough to do this to the Beatles.He then went for I just Called to Say i love You by Stevie Wonder. I wonder why? As i write this i can hear his warbling. No wonder i have a drink. Any one else experienced this torture in Thailand or surrounding countries? I'm gonna go to bed soon as i can't take no more.

I've been to this bar called Bombay (Thonglor) on several occasasions and must say they sing extremely good Thai songs. However, it's a completly diffrent story when it comes to singing English songs as they constantly mispronounce too many words. But it seems Thai clubbers never give a stuff anyway

It depends, back in the days of the BKK Blues Band you could hear some fantastic R&B from one of the best singers anywhere.

Alas all good things come to pass.

But as a general rule Thais are pretty cr@p at English (Singing or Spoken).

The Filipinos on the other hand are superbe (all of 'em).

S'true , I remember about 8 years back in the basement of the Hotel that housed the Banana disco ( can't remember name - Patong Beach maybe?)

A Filipino Duo that could play nearly any song you could think of , and play it ###### well , Zeppelin, Cranberries, Floyd , Madonna , anything...and I requested some songs that ain't easy to play or sing.

Jock , the bloke in Penang isn't called Gary by any chance ?

:o

Granted alot of the filipino singers are good, not all though. also it is hard to find a thai that can sing good english stuff.

I'm far from being an expert but i have to say that the best thai singer i've heard (that sings english stuff correctly) is Lam Morrison, otherwise they are all good as long as they sing "hotel California, Bon Jovi and al the stuff that you here on every bloody corner.

I once again have a headache about this at the moment regarding my rock bands thai singers.

I had 2 filipino musicians before. very talented but eventually became big headed and lazy for the money they were earning. (2000bht each for 1 night.)

S'true , I remember about 8 years back in the basement of the Hotel that housed the Banana disco ( can't remember name - Patong Beach maybe?)

A Filipino Duo that could play nearly any song you could think of , and play it ###### well , Zeppelin, Cranberries, Floyd , Madonna , anything...and I requested some songs that ain't easy to play or sing.

Jock , the bloke in Penang isn't called Gary by any chance ?

:o

Chonabot. Not sure of the guysname. He had long hair, wore a black waistcoat and couldnt sing for his dinner. Sounds a bit like Jon Bon Jovi. Though Jon could at least sing. Man you should have heard him. Every song was sang the same way. Like he had a sore throat. ###### terrible.

Maybe they are getting revenge on falangs for inflicting Jonas and that cute blonde chick on them.  :o

It seems not generally known that Jonas Anderson and Christy Gibson grew up in, and are both active members of the mind ###### cult the family. This was previously known as the children of god and as usual in cults demanded total commitment even to the point of letting other memebers shag your kids, yes they preached sex with kids. Don't buy their CD's as part of the profits go towards the cult. I have seen them both, Jonas is a joke as a singer whislt christy although not a bad singer has no emotions to empart and behaves like a 'star', neither deserve the title luktung singer-peter

Interesting I've been really impressed with the english covers that Thai singers have performed especially in the discos and some of the outside bars that have live bands with singers.

Blues Factory- the bird Dave has working there can really belt out some songs. I agree Lam is incredible. :o

Generally I dont have a problem with this.I have many Thai friends in bands  In Bangkok. But i have to say. I am in Penang at the moment. I went to see a local playing some songs. ###### ###### it was terrible.

Why not hear them singing their own songs? Why anyone wants to listen to locals singing western songs at all is one of lifes great mysteries to me-whats the point? Not so bad if an ex pat for a bit of nostaligia once or twice a year but thats about it.

Having said that thias singing string is almost as bad, that's a horrible empty musical import as well.-peter