Security Breach At Suvabarbhum Airport

richoz

As a regular traveler and former police officer I am outraged at the massive security breach that I encountered when flying Thai Air Asia recently. This should be a warning to all who travel from Suvanarbhum airport. Last Wednesday evening at 8.40pm I caught an Air Asia flight (FD3236) from Bangkok (Suvanarbhum) to Chiang Mai. After checking-in for my flight, and clearing what I thought was a very thorough security screening procedure, X-Ray and metal detector, I decided to grab a bite to eat at the City Garden Café on the inside of the domestic terminal. I was shocked and stunned to see that I could eat my pizza with a very heavy sharpened knife. In fact, there were no less than 30 of them there for any passenger to pick up, and board any flight without question. The further security screening gate at my departure gate was also closed and unmanned. It should send a chill up the spine of any passenger to know that it would have been, and probably still is, so terribly easy for a passenger to board a flight with such a dangerous weapon.

Email them and let us know what response you get..?

I emailed the Bangkok Post and Thai Air Asia. Bangkok Post published my letter in Post Bag, but Thai Air Asia did not respond. I cant stress enough that these were also not ordinary knives. They were heavy sharpened ones. An ideal weapon in the wrong hands.

Email them and let us know what response you get..?

I emailed the Bangkok Post and Thai Air Asia. Bangkok Post published my letter in Post Bag, but Thai Air Asia did not respond. I cant stress enough that these were also not ordinary knives. They were heavy sharpened ones. An ideal weapon in the wrong hands.

I think Air Asia (or should be AOT imo) will respond to your letter in the Bangkok Post.

Dunno to be honest they use heavy knives/forks in 1st/business class flights once again. Obvious this doesn't apply with Air Asia, but point being they are available. I have a feeling the rules aren't as stringent now. I'd ask the screener when you head back through what is allowable these days.

Dunno to be honest they use heavy knives/forks in 1st/business class flights once again. Obvious this doesn't apply with Air Asia, but point being they are available. I have a feeling the rules aren't as stringent now. I'd ask the screener when you head back through what is allowable these days.

Well, I am sure someone with ill-intentions is gonna put that idea at the top of their list. :o

I recently travelled from Bangkok to Canada via Hong Kong. Changing aircraft in Hong Kong I had to go through their security scanning. Imagine my surprise when they found a very shape knife in my bag!

Two hours later, after loads of police and security guards interviewing me I was allowed to catch my next flight.

I was in a hurry to get to the airport so I took my everyday work bag with my lap top and forgot I had a knife in it. I won't make that mistake again.

Great security in BBK airport.

Craig :o

Business class / first class passengers in most asian airlines have metal knifes and forks. I wouldnt be too concerned.

it all depends on the international destination / law of the country you are flying to/from whether metal cutlery will be allowed.

Thanks - Now the next time I call for a pizza air side at BKK I'll be given a crappy plastic knife.

The whole security issue is a heap of nonsense... You can't take liquids on board... might make a liquid bomb..... powders are OK..

Yeh right - The checks are more about making you feel save then actually making you safe.

Thanks - Now the next time I call for a pizza air side at BKK I'll be given a crappy plastic knife.

The whole security issue is a heap of nonsense... You can't take liquids on board... might make a liquid bomb..... powders are OK..

Yeh right - The checks are more about making you feel save then actually making you safe.

IMO the authorities only care about your well-being prior to dumping your cash here.

As a regular traveler and former police officer I am outraged at the massive security breach that I encountered when flying Thai Air Asia recently. This should be a warning to all who travel from Suvanarbhum airport. Last Wednesday evening at 8.40pm I caught an Air Asia flight (FD3236) from Bangkok (Suvanarbhum) to Chiang Mai. After checking-in for my flight, and clearing what I thought was a very thorough security screening procedure, X-Ray and metal detector, I decided to grab a bite to eat at the City Garden Café on the inside of the domestic terminal. I was shocked and stunned to see that I could eat my pizza with a very heavy sharpened knife. In fact, there were no less than 30 of them there for any passenger to pick up, and board any flight without question. The further security screening gate at my departure gate was also closed and unmanned. It should send a chill up the spine of any passenger to know that it would have been, and probably still is, so terribly easy for a passenger to board a flight with such a dangerous weapon.

Airport security is a pile of shit at the best of times, you worry about sharp knives...after all the security procedures, once I get into airside, go to the duty free, buy a couple of bottles of Vodka, pour them on the floor and burn the whole thing to kingdom come..it's a joke!

Airport security is a pile of shit at the best of times, you worry about sharp knives...after all the security procedures, once I get into airside, go to the duty free, buy a couple of bottles of Vodka, pour them on the floor and burn the whole thing to kingdom come..it's a joke!

Does vodka poured on the floor really burn sufficiently to bring down an aircraft :o

Or is that just a joke :D

You can in fact carry a lot of stuff into an airplane. Including short-blade knifes, as long as they are not foldable. Think its up to 6cm. The security can still take them from you if they think you'll use them. Or anything else suspicious like hiding them.

If it was up to me I would say "Sorry, no carry-on at all". The airplane staff would probably be able to handle anything that people really really need to get into a plane for a 10 hour trip.

Does vodka poured on the floor really burn sufficiently to bring down an aircraft :o

Not really, does a pizza knife bring down an aircraft!You could probably "pistol whip em" with one of your turds following the in flight meal!

Edited by MinnieCauldwell

I agree, Airport Security IS a joke.

I mean seriously, you think a hijacker or someone who wishes to commit suicide by deceleration event while aboard an aircraft is going to use a knife?

A tooth pick in the eye is probably as good an inducement to acquiesce as a knife could be.

If you want to have 'real' security, you need to have full body x-ray, the next big thing will surely be surgically embedded explosives.

Go have a donut and <deleted>.

my advice to you is "never fly Qatar first class and order a steak!" besides, i have never heard of any hi-jacking carried out by means of a sharp knife. "massive security breach?" my butt! :o

Hahahaha

First time I read the OP's letter in the Post yesterday, I thought it was a joke or a spoof. As a former police officer I am outraged, shocked and stunned blah blah blah . . .

This guy sounds like Mr Angry from Chelmsford.

As a former police officer I am outraged, shocked and stunned blah blah blah . . .

I don't think you really should react as that :o at least he didn't ask about getting a goddamn taxi to center Bangkok from the airport in his rant :D

Not really, does a pizza knife bring down an aircraft!You could probably "pistol whip em" with one of your turds following the in flight meal!

Pre 9/11 you probably would have said "does a box cutter bring down an aircraft".

ANSWER : YES

I flew on Singapore Airlines and I got a metal knife--not particularly sharp, but a knife none-the-less.

Security may be a joke, but you never quite know what they are going to do. Of course, I suppose it's only us innocent people that get worried about this stuff. The dangerous ones would carefully plan this stuff out.

As a former police officer, you tend to look at these matters in a different way than the average "Joe passenger ".

I can understand that apart in the Op his post.

A car mechanic will notice a worn tire sooner than the average "Joe driver"

Yup, that is his way of looking at things.

And a passenger just wants to be taken from A to B he is "Joe average".

And doesn't want to be bothered with hysteric rules, ( because that is what it has become )

I can agree with these rules up to a certain level, because it is not just terrorists who cause trouble in the cabin, but mostly ......"Joe average" !

I think it is a very reassuring fact that an attempt has been made to make sure that that Joe doesn't have a gun in his bag or on his person, just because he is allowed to do that at home for instance. But I would still allow him to eat with a decent knife and fork.

But you cannot take away everything for protection sake, if that were to be the case we would ban flying all together, or having a meal in flight, or a drink or two three..four..

my advice to you is "never fly Qatar first class and order a steak!" besides, i have never heard of any hi-jacking carried out by means of a sharp knife. "massive security breach?" my butt! :o

Well, it happened once back in 2001: "Since U.S. airline screening procedures make it virtually impossible to smuggle guns aboard, the hijackers used pocketknives, utility box-cutting knives, and cans of Mace or pepper spray as their weapons." ( http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_701509...11_attacks.html )

/ Priceless

Hahahaha

First time I read the OP's letter in the Post yesterday, I thought it was a joke or a spoof. As a former police officer I am outraged, shocked and stunned blah blah blah . . .

This guy sounds like Mr Angry from Chelmsford.

What, he's moved from their traditional place-of-retirement, Tunbridge Wells ? ! :o

( P.S. 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' is a much-loved British stereo-type, old farts to a man/woman )

Well, it happened once back in 2001: "Since U.S. airline screening procedures make it virtually impossible to smuggle guns aboard, the hijackers used pocketknives, utility box-cutting knives, and cans of Mace or pepper spray as their weapons." ( http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_701509...11_attacks.html )

/ Priceless

Yes, they improvised. The point is that anything and anyone can be weapon if someone so desires.

The biggest lesson learned was that the door to the pilots must be secured. That was something well known before 9/11 as well but it was deemed too expensive to implement.

They still have wine and champagne bottles on most flights I have been on, there are a multitude of ways to confer bodily harm on someone that does not involve a knife, box cutters or metal forks.

I could understand if most hijackings were a spur of the moment thing where people just grab whatever is at hand. But they tend not to be. They are deliberate and planned, it matters not what you ban from taking unto a plane so long as there is access to the pilots.

If there hadn't on 9/11 the pilots could have depressurized the cabin and knock everyone out.

The only thing that this 'security' fetishism has done is inconvenience millions(?) on a daily basis and drive up the airport taxes and airfares in general. It seems a grand PR stunt meant to both reassure those that were afraid to fly after 9/11 as well as plant in our minds that we are surrounded by threat that the powers that be are protecting us from. Its working well, so much so that an ex policeman, who surely should know better, is now warning people from flying on the off chance that a person might get it into his head that he wants to run amok on an airplane as he is eating pizza.