Belarus Vs. England (16-oct-2008)

bravingbangkok

BELARUS VS. ENGLAND (16-OCT-2008)

Will be showing on channel 61 from 1.30am which is great news seeing that they have a better team than Kazy so should make for a better match.

Fabio Capello's England tackle Belarus on Wednesday night aiming to record their fourth consecutive World Cup qualifying victory in Group 6.

Italian coach Capello has left the critics with little ammunition to work with after leading his charges to successes over Andorra, Croatia and, most recently, Kazakhstan.

Three away points in Minsk would set an England record while, perhaps more significantly, it would hand the country a hearty fillip with the next competitive encounter not until April 2009.

Belarus, though, are a gifted side that held South American giants Argentina and Euro 2008 finalists Germany to stalemates in friendly meetings in August and May respectively, and also overcame the Dutch in a European Championship qualifier last year.

Skipper Rio

Bernd Stange's men opened their path to South Africa with an injury-time loss to Ukraine, but responded in their second outing to dispose of Andorra 3-1.

The fixture at Dinamo Stadium is Belarus' first at home in Group 6 as Stange looks to overcome a nation that lies 45 places higher than his charges in the Fifa world rankings.

Stand-in captain Rio Ferdinand will continue to lead England in the absence of John Terry - who has failed to recover from a back injury - with the Manchester United centre-back set to be partnered with Matthew Upson in the heart of defence for the second game running.

Left-back Ashley Cole, who was victim of booing from a minority of the Wembley faithful last weekend, is absent with a hamstring injury so Wayne Bridge is poised to make his first competitive England start in almost a year.

Capello's main conundrum is themed around the centre of midfield as the much-debated poser of whether Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard can operate alongside one another successfully continues to rumble on.

The AC Milan, Juventus, Roma and Real Madrid coach must first choose whether to implement a four or five-man midfield, with the former - offset behind the spearhead of strikers Wayne Rooney and Emile Heskey - working more effectively in the second period against the Kazakhs.

Hleb absence

With Joe Cole still sidelined, Capello may opt to play Gerrard on the left-side of a foursome, with Gareth Barry partnering Lampard centrally and Zagreb hero Theo Walcott, 19, on the right wing.

Belarus are without captain and star playmaker Alexander Hleb after the Barcelona player failed to recover from ankle ligament damage.

Stange will look to the likes of striker Vitali Rodionov, who scored in the win over Andorra last month, and 22-year-old BATE Borisov midfielder Igor Stasevich as he looks to claim what would be a memorable and shock scalp.

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}

What a result Hleb isn't playing, good Player that one..

I'll go 3-0 England, just contemplating whether to get a few hours sleep first then set the alarm or stay up til KO..

& i don't have Channel 61 on my UBC, am i to assume that Channel 61 is True Sport 1 ( my numbers recently changed & i think TS 1 used to be 61 thinking about it ?? )

What a result Hleb isn't playing, good Player that one..

I'll go 3-0 England, just contemplating whether to get a few hours sleep first then set the alarm or stay up til KO..

& i don't have Channel 61 on my UBC, am i to assume that Channel 61 is True Sport 1 ( my numbers recently changed & i think TS 1 used to be 61 thinking about it ?? )

I thinks its true sports 3 now as yes u are right they did change.

I am just glad it's another six months until the next round. We had a good EPL season going, lots of things happening, good games with upsets and then boom....

WCQ to lose the momentum and ensure that all star players are even more tired.

I am just glad it's another six months until the next round. We had a good EPL season going, lots of things happening, good games with upsets and then boom....

and torres gets bloody injured. :o

I dont know what Capello has done but this England team looks way better than Svens and McCraps Era

Yes he does seem to be able to get a team not playing well in the first half to look like a completely different team in the 2nd half.

He is showing Sven and Mcclaren to be the money grabbing, publicity seeking, celebrity culture, no knowledge of football charlatans that they are.

When reporters/journalists are interviewing him on a one 2 one basis they seem petrified of him and he mocks their stupid questioning, highlighting the lack of football knowledge that most journalists have.

Big team like Liverpool have surely got the strength and depth to cope with one man injured for a couple of weeks. Or not?

Big team like Liverpool have surely got the strength and depth to cope with one man injured for a couple of weeks. Or not?

They've got the strength in depth to still get Results but of course they haven't got anyone to replace him who is going to provide so much for them, Torres is one of the best Strilers in the World at the moment..

They've got the strength in depth to still get Results but of course they haven't got anyone to replace him who is going to provide so much for them, Torres is one of the best Strilers in the World at the moment..

Was that a "yes" or a "no"?

why do u need Torres when you have Gerrard

Is that a question, statement or wind up ??

it means you dont need Torres when Gerrard is in the team, Torres didnt change anything last season as Liverpool didnt even anything. Maybe this season

If it wasn't for Torres, City would have beaten Liverpool the other week. And Gerard was in the team.

it means you dont need Torres when Gerrard is in the team, Torres didnt change anything last season as Liverpool didnt even anything. Maybe this season

If it wasn't for Torres, City would have beaten Liverpool the other week. And Gerard was in the team.

Well, if it wasn't for John Terry, Chelsea would have beaten us in the Champions League Final.

Well, if it wasn't for John Terry, Chelsea would have beaten us in the Champions League Final.

My response was aimed at the statement above about not needing Torres when Gerrard is in the team. You need all your best players for as much of the season you can possibly get.