You Get What You Pay For

Flow

Hi

Having lived in Thailand for over 20 years and having used different local health providers I came to the conclusion that it all comes down to "you get what you pay for".

Most of us, myself included, often moan about local insurrance companies. The reason is that we often don't get what we had expected to get from them when we signed up. This is because 99% of the local providers use this "percentage" system in calculating how much they ought to pay out when when the insurer is hospitalized for whatever reason. 50% for this 70% for that 90% for... or sometimes only 5% for... well you get the picture.

I travel overseas at least 4 times a year for business purposes, then the additional hassle of getting Travel Insurance. Travel insurance by the way, for some odd reason is inexpensive with local providers. Don't ask me why. (I used LMG and they were fine) Never submitted any claims with them, though.

After someone mentioned in here that a company called Premier underwitten by ****** (not sure if I can give out the name as this forum is moderated by Thai Visa Health) I thought I'd do a bit of googling and see what they have to offer. Very attractive packages indeed but SUPER expensive; for me it was either go back with a local insurance company, pay a lot less but continue being unhappy or sign up with Premier for 78,000 Baht++ and enjoy unlimitted coverage not only in Thailand but in other countries as well. I decided on the latter.

The reason is simple. it's pretty much similar or better than the NHS in the UK. There is no real maximum for IPD/OPD- well there is. But what medical procedure would require spending over 85 million Baht? (this is per year) and... what I like most about this insurance is that you can choose the country and hospital you wish to receive treatment from. It's elective. You ask the doctor in Thailand to write you a letter that you need surgery say in say Japan, the UK or whatever country at whatever hospital and you're on your way. It's also an interesting way of bypassing hospitals that have waiting lists....

What you say about the ‘percentages’ (called “policy schedule”) on medical pay out is correct BUT for the ‘basic’ cover only.

Where you have it wrong is that the ‘premium’ cover, by the local insurance companies, do pay out in full just like the policy you have !

Thai Visa Insurance can easily offer the cover you mentioned but the average person living in Thailand would be more than happy with (say) a 20m Baht full payout coverage.

"Where you have it wrong is that the ‘premium’ cover, by the local insurance companies, do pay out in full just like the policy you have !"

Interesting. I didn't know that. I was insured as part of a company group package through an agent here. They offered us only 3 choices/packages. It wasn't what I wanted. I was willing to spend more for something better, but I was told ONLY 3 choices so I left (there were some other things that triggered my "exit" but let's leave that for another topic for another day.)

For now, I am with Premier. If Premier for some reason make me "unhappy" , I'll get in touch with you.

Cheers

Flow

• 3 weeks later...