Import Laws

foxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't wanna start a new thread so I've latched on to this one as it's the most recent I could find.

I want to import an 18 year old BMW Z1 cos I'm gonna stay here for a bit.

As it's fairly rare and old, I'm wondering whether it'd be considered as a classic by the authorities and thus exempt from import duty.

I've also heard that one could theoretically import a vehicle to Malaysia and drive it to Thailand on foreign plates as long as one has a valid visa.

Edited by HardenedSoul

HardenedSoul: As it's fairly rare and old, I'm wondering whether it'd be considered as a classic by the authorities and thus exempt from import duty.

:o Don't think so. In Thailand a classic just means it hasn't broken down as often as a new car! But if the car isn't staying forever...and you don't mind border runs.....

From the PDF at Customs (www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/indexEng.jsp)

A TEMPORARY IMPORT OF PERSONAL VEHICLES

A temporary import of personal vehicles for a short visit e.g. a motor vehicle, motorcycle, yacht, sports boat, or fishing vessel, etc. into Thailand by owners shall be grant tax/duty relief provided that they are to be re-exported within 1-2 months but not exceeding six months. Any persons intending to temporarily import personal vehicles e.g. a motor vehicle, motorcycle, yacht, sports boat, or fishing vessel, etc. have to closely observe the following Customs regulations and conditions:

Didn't wanna start a new thread so I've latched on to this one as it's the most recent I could find.

I want to import an 18 year old BMW Z1 cos I'm gonna stay here for a bit.

As it's fairly rare and old, I'm wondering whether it'd be considered as a classic by the authorities and thus exempt from import duty.

They dont care

I've also heard that one could theoretically import a vehicle to Malaysia and drive it to Thailand on foreign plates as long as one has a valid visa.

Only if you get Malay plates and then bring cross border asean.. 'Western plates' still need a massive cash bond to be left.