Office Workers Join Pad Demonstration On Silom And Surawong

TAWP

Here are some numbers from Abac published in BKK Post:

BangkokPost.com) - The numbers of government supporters, anti-government supporters and those who do not take political sides were not too diverse, according to Abac Poll Research Centre's recent poll.

The Political Groups survey was conducted from October 11 to 18, and it involved 3,667 respondents in 18 provinces.

43.8 percent supported the opposition Democrat party, 39.5 percent for the People Power party (PPP), and 16.7 percent for other political parties. Most Democrat supporters were females while more male respondents were behind the PPP.

34.0 percent backed the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s anti-government movements while 34.8 percent opposed the group. 31.2 percent were neutral.

Continued http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131510

If you, like me, wondered who abac are: http://www.abacpoll.au.edu/abacpollinter/aip.html

Edited by sylviex

holding up a TV poll as if it is of some significance... :o

Of the same significance as most of the posts on this subject. At least it shows what the farangs on TV think.

Actually, it just shows what 98 out 65,222 members think... Is that an adequate scientific sampling to prove anything?

What of the wording of the poll? It can easily be taken any number of ways and open for misinterpretation resulting in unintentional and erroneous vote casting... What of the results of the several other PAD-related polls? What of the significant number of anti-PAD multiple-ID'ers on TV? One particularly troubled member with 27 documented and different ID's could account for nearly a third of all the negative votes cast.

Polls on TV have always been nothing more than a light-hearted, unscientific, temporary diversion from the serious topics.... to all of a sudden attempt to hold them up as being scientifically representative of truly-held belief to the extent that utterly ridiculous statements like "shows what the farangs on TV think" are made is laughable to the extreme.

If you think otherwise, then I highly recommend an additional poll awaiting your participation..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Inane-Meanin...89.html&hl=

Edited by sriracha john

Of the same significance as most of the posts on this subject. At least it shows what the farangs on TV think.

Actually, it just shows what 98 out 65,222 members think... Is that an adequate scientific sampling to prove anything?

What of the wording of the poll? It can easily be taken any number of ways and open for misinterpretation resulting in unintentional and erroneous vote casting... What of the results of the several other PAD-related polls? What of the significant number of anti-PAD multiple-ID'ers on TV? One particularly troubled member with 27 documented and different ID's could account for nearly a third of all the negative votes cast.

Polls on TV have always been nothing more than a light-hearted, unscientific, temporary diversion from the serious topics.... to all of a sudden attempt to hold them up as being scientifically representative of truly-held belief to the extent that utterly ridiculous statements like "shows what the farangs on TV think" are made is laughable to the extreme.

If you think otherwise, then I highly recommend an additional poll awaiting your participation..

Are you saying that there are 65,222 active members of this forum? The subject of active members vs. total membership has been brought up many times before. There are probably just a few hundred active members - you know it and so do we. Of those who bothered to vote (182), nearly 3 to 1 said they did not support the PAD. So trying to compare those who voted with the total membership is ridiculous and you know it.

As for the poll question, it couldn't have been simpler: "Do you support the PAD". Nothing complicated, nothing biased, just a simple question. But you say "What of the wording of the poll? It can easily be taken any number of ways and open for misinterpretation". No it can't, don't be ridiculous.

"Significant number of anti-PAD multiple-IDers?" Why should anyone believe this is only an anti-PAD phenomenon? Are you now making excuses for the poll result? But you said it was an "unscientific, temporary diversion", so there's no need to defend your poor showing, is there? Unless you feel - as I'm sure you do - that it does reflect how TV members felt at that time.

I don't want to go into the way you and your group have managed to get banned or suspended several anti-PAD posters as it's against the rules here. Suffice to say, you act like a football player running up to the referee trying to get someone sent off. Not acceptable to most sportsmen and not acceptable on this forum either.

I think it's a great shame that you have come out so strongly in support of the PAD. Everyone now knows that we can never again trust the news forum to give us a balanced view.

As for me, do I support Thaksin? Of course not. Neither do I like the current government. But the courts must be given time to do their job. That's what they are for. All this support for the PAD will simply result in blood on the streets. The PAD should go home and let the courts do their work.

Are you saying that there are 65,222 active members of this forum? The subject of active members vs. total membership has been brought up many times before. There are probably just a few hundred active members - you know it and so do we. Of those who bothered to vote (182), nearly 3 to 1 said they did not support the PAD. So trying to compare those who voted with the total membership is ridiculous and you know it.

As for the poll question, it couldn't have been simpler: "Do you support the PAD". Nothing complicated, nothing biased, just a simple question. But you say "What of the wording of the poll? It can easily be taken any number of ways and open for misinterpretation". No it can't, don't be ridiculous.

And you don't think that any number of our many, many ESL members could easily interpret the word "support" any number of ways? "Hmm.. do I give financial support to PAD?.. uhh..no, so I will clicks No." Support is a very arbitrary word and you know it or at least should know it.

"Significant number of anti-PAD multiple-IDers?" Why should anyone believe this is only an anti-PAD phenomenon?

I don't think it is, but historically, as a review of any number of political threads reveal, the overwhelming vast majority of these multiple-ID'ers have been the most ardent anti-PAD posters.

Are you now making excuses for the poll result?

No, simply stating that the results are highly suspect and drawing any sort of definitive conclusions from them is absurd.

But you said it was an "unscientific, temporary diversion", so there's no need to defend your poor showing, is there? Unless you feel - as I'm sure you do - that it does reflect how TV members felt at that time.

I don't want to go into the way you and your group have managed to get banned or suspended several anti-PAD posters as it's against the rules here. Suffice to say, you act like a football player running up to the referee trying to get someone sent off. Not acceptable to most sportsmen and not acceptable on this forum either.

LOL.... so now I'm to blame for what others post by their own hand that results in their own banishment??? More absurdity.

I think it's a great shame that you have come out so strongly in support of the PAD. Everyone now knows that we can never again trust the news forum to give us a balanced view.

Every member is entitled to post what ever view they support. It's always been that way and hopefully will always remain that way. To that end, I and every member that posts news, posts news that generally tends to support our own personal opinion or views. That's not changed in the four and half years I've been a member.

As for me, do I support Thaksin? Of course not. Neither do I like the current government. But the courts must be given time to do their job. That's what they are for. All this support for the PAD will simply result in blood on the streets. The PAD should go home and let the courts do their work.

The PAD, in my opinion, should protest in a non-violent manner. With a few notable exceptions, as can be expected in any large movement, that's generally held true over the months and years of their protests and the millions of their supporters involved.

Edited by sriracha john

"all but one" = everybody except one.

"anti-PPP" = does not like PPP, some might like PAD, most are just against PPP.

This is in regards to the Thai staff. The non-Thai (us being in a numeral minority) has no real expressed view most of the times...

Except here, where the result was 62% against PAD. Still, I guess you and the other half dozen prolific PAD posters don't want to remember that.

JetsetBkk>> Your distorted view of the world is almost understandable to me now. You are unable to read what is actually written and make up your own stories.

So, to be extra clear: Us farangs in MY OFFICE tries to not have any expressed view on Thai politics most of the time. That is why I wrote 'staff', not 'forum members'.

And again you call me a PAD poster, proving that you have no idea what is actually written or posted.

Sad really.

Office Workers Join PAD Demonstration On Silom And Surawong

People welcome PAD protesters on Sukhumvit

A lot of passers-by and officer workers on Sukhumvit Road welcomed the anti-government protesters by coming out to rock their "hand clappers" and get video CDs and documents distributed by protesters.

The march by the People's Alliance for Democracy caught a lot attention of the passers-by and office workers on the section of the Sukhumvit Road from the Rajprasong Intersection to the Wireless Road.

The PAD organised the march to hand out VCDs and documents to raise awareness on the Oct 7 bloody crackdown.

- The Nation / 2008-10-20

The march by the People's Alliance for Democracy caught a lot attention of the passers-by and office workers on the section of the Sukhumvit Road from the Rajprasong Intersection to the Wireless Road.

thats not sukhumwit road

ploenchit....but quite frankly it could be mochit or just sh!t, and people would show up out of curiosity or to get some free cd's and clappers...doesnt necessarily mean that was a show of support.... :o

Edited by Payboy

thats not sukhumwit road

ploenchit....but quite frankly it could be mochit or just sh!t, and people would show up out of curiosity or to get some free cd's and clappers...doesnt necessarily mean that was a show of support.... :o

most of my office headed down to show support; not that they especially like PAD, just they despise the eggheads of PPP.

most of my office headed down to show support; not that they especially like PAD, just they despise the eggheads of PPP.

Which I assume is the case for most of the non-hardcore supporters. They see PAD as a tool to remove something more dangerous.

Which I assume is the case for most of the non-hardcore supporters. They see PAD as a tool to remove something more dangerous.

yep.

In my case I think the PAD are probably clinically insane at the upper levels.

However, they are still a hel_l of a lot safer than the guy in London and his mates; many of whom I actually know and have worked with.

However, they are still a hel_l of a lot safer than the guy in London and his mates; many of whom I actually know and have worked with.

I agree. An attorney friend who originally supported the TRT and later worked on Thaksin's defence team called Mr T 'the most dangerous man in Thailand' (before he fled to the UK).

Mr T is surely exceptionally intelligent, though -- an evil genius ! We should clone him & make use of the intelligence and discard the evil. Or is there a connection that cannot be broken :o ?

I wonder what he was like as a child ... dreaming of ruling the world ?

.....edit....

I agree. An attorney friend who originally supported the TRT and later worked on Thaksin's defence team called Mr T 'the most dangerous man in Thailand' (before he fled to the UK).

Is part of the riddle while his brother in law insists that he must remain "for the good for the country" PM and MUST change the constitution to safeguard and ensure the good of the country, if he steps down "evil minded people" will seize power and install a puppet government which will rule dictatorial!

Whoever can read the sad cynicism in this, understands what this man stands for and what to think about large part of this government!

All this finger pointing at the PAD, the badmouthing, the blackmail, the trickery, the disinformation, the grand plan of the master, fiddling at his comeback, his little ego just can't let go!