Does Gasohol Work For Elder Chopper Bikes?

drronnie

I am seeking to buy a second hand Honda Shadow (built 1999) in Pattaya. However due to the fact that Benzin 95 is getting rare. What can I do to get to get it to run on Gasohol?

Benzin 95 is not getting rare can buy every pumpstation and if not 95 than 91.

I am seeking to buy a second hand Honda Shadow (built 1999) in Pattaya. However due to the fact that Benzin 95 is getting rare. What can I do to get to get it to run on Gasohol?

Benzin 95 is not getting rare can buy every pumpstation and if not 95 than 91.

Mine 3 years old runs OK on Gasohol

However for some reasons the motorcycle rentals in Pattaya like to tell customers not to use Gasohol 95 to fill up the big bikes. I wonder why.

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/gasohol.html

While basically accurate, this may be a little overblown.

But the rental agencies do not want to encur any possible repair costs, even if they are minor and far into the future. So as they are not paying for the gas, tehy want you to pay extra so they don't have a possible expense.  Makes sense from their point of view.

However for some reasons the motorcycle rentals in Pattaya like to tell customers not to use Gasohol 95 to fill up the big bikes. I wonder why.

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/gasohol.html

While basically accurate, this may be a little overblown.

But the rental agencies do not want to encur any possible repair costs, even if they are minor and far into the future. So as they are not paying for the gas, tehy want you to pay extra so they don't have a possible expense. Makes sense from their point of view.

Thank you for the link sir.

Sommart Srisamacharn, motorcycle aficionado and winner of popular aficionado competition TV program on Thailand's Channel 5, recalled his first time on motorcycle saddle and shared the pride in supporting Thailand's alternative energy initiative by using locally produced gasohol (bio-ethanol) instead of benzene. He affirmed that after turning to use gasohol, he didn't see any impact on engine speed and performance

There seem to be many stories on both sides of it working or not working. I've got a `93 Shadow and I use Benzine 91 in it. I think I've occasionally (you can never be sure what the stations are selling as benzine, TIT) had gasohol in it though, one or two tanks seemed to make it run sluggish.

I'd love to find out if it's possible to buy gasohol resistant carb parts. I'm fine with changing the hoses, but I haven't heard of anything about resistant diaphragms, etc. it shouldn't be too hard to mod the bike for gasohol if we can find the parts.

I think it's a VERY BIG concern here in LOS, where so many old bikes and cars are used for the "every day" work... Sure, I don't know exactly, but maybe 80 % of the benzine vehicles are not designed to run with gasohol.

So I can't imagine a govt deciding from today to tomorrow to strictly replace regular benzine by some 91 and/or 95 gasohol...

I think it's a VERY BIG concern here in LOS, where so many old bikes and cars are used for the "every day" work... Sure, I don't know exactly, but maybe 80 % of the benzine vehicles are not designed to run with gasohol.

So I can't imagine a govt deciding from today to tomorrow to strictly replace regular benzine by some 91 and/or 95 gasohol...

Now let's be honest... Govt's take decisions and issue new laws/directives based upon the advice of "Experts", now for Gasohol, the rulers have good reasons, since it means money for them.... and the Gasohol thing also mean money for a number of the consulting "experts" (car industry)... forcing the use of Gasohol in all those older cars and bikes will eventually take them of the road, probably sooner than the owners want, and force them to buy a new one..... or use public transport :o

Gasohol is no blessing, certain countries in EU that originally where Pro, are now phasing out Gasohol, since they found that a lot more cars will be damaged by using this fuel than originally estimated, and since some EU governments can be sued for their mistakes...... :D

As to the topic's question, if you love your older bike, avoid using any E.. fuels. and for the even older bikes, there is also no Leaded fuel anymore.... {my '80 CB750 knows what I'm talking about}

It is true that this is an economic push and not an environmental one, but TIT, who knows how it will play out.

I'd rather stack the deck in my favour though, which is why I keep looking for gasohol resistant parts. Has anyone seen any?

I googled it, and found that it's being done in theory at least:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=QZSUtJioYq...0&ct=result

I assume that the new-to-market bikes with carbs are all gasohol resistant? Maybe we could mod with those parts? Is there anyone here with a carbed bike that is new? Is it E10 friendly?

Nowadays, most cars and bikes from the new market come with injection. And in this case are "ready" for the gasohol...

But what about the Honda Dream (and the like) brand new in shop now?

Essentially, carbs can run with gasohol with some adjustings. The bad things are for the rubber components, some pistons/cylinders (some alloys don't appreciate alcohol) and for the metallic tanks due to the retention of water by alcohol...

So old bikes need new rubbers all along the line from the tank to the cylinder(s) and the ones inside carbs, engine is what it is (don't think to modify the inside if needed!..) and plastic tank or lining the inside with some plastic stuff (this stuff already exists and is sometimes used in old rusty tanks)...

It is what I heard and read about...

The uggly is for the carbs: where to find this "special rubber components"? Maybe in a near future this will open a new (niche) market...

Cheers,

Gobs

Since 2002 I drive a Yamaha Royal Star (V4, 1300cc) 1998 model which I fill up with 91 gasohol or none-gasohol whetever they have and it runs and runs. Never any problems for more than 50'000 km. I never felt any difference between 95, 91 with or without Gasohol.

Regards

Thedi

Is the Royal Star carbed or injected? If it's carbed, does the dealership say that E10 is okay? If so, maybe we need to mod our Hondas with a Yammy carb? (but don't both companies use Mikuni?)

As to the tank, the best product according to the `net is POR-15. There was a distributor on Ratchada, but I went to their office and was told that they moved. I'm not sure where they are now.

Look friends:

The Thedi's Yam Royal Star 1998 runs great with gasohol...

And then the BikerBob's Yam Dragstar 1999 runs bad...

What's the heck?..

Probably, noone can know before trying his own's "old" bike... Maybe OK, maybe bad at all!..

Am I ready to try in my CB1 400 or my XR 250? A BIG NO for the moment...

I think, we are able to get regular 91 for years ahead IMHO...

Gobs

Probably, noone can know before trying his own's "old" bike... Maybe OK, maybe bad at all!..

I agree, and I hope you're right about benzine being available for a while. Like I said before, TIT. Those "big bosses" who have a say in govenment might get tired of gasohol (look at the problems with corn farmers in the north right now, I think it's related), and invest in something else. Who knows?

But, in case we are stuck with E10 (and later E20), I'm keeping an eye out for gasohol-safe parts! :o

hi guys,

i've read that there should be a color coding that we can use to determine if the fuel in the stations are gasohol or gasoline. being:

yellow for regular 95

orange for gasohol 95

red for regular 91

and green for gasohol 91

i thought i got it figured out before (in shell) when i am selecting something written in red with a number 91 on a green background on it being regular 91 since it has red on it. but now i am not so sure anymore when i noticed that there is something written in white on a green background (with a 95 i think) and a green on a yellow background (with a 91 i think). i really can't recall since i think there is also a white on a black (diesel?).

can you anyone point me onto the right direction here?

I'm riding a BMW F650 1994 carb model. In Malaysia we have RON 97 and RON 92 and never heard of gasohol. On my way to and fro Surat Thani for this year 3 Nation Charity Ride last week, I filled up with Gasohol 95 (92 RON is sufficient for mine). I can swear the bike runs great, smoother, better low and mid range, easier to starts etc. Now I wish we have petrol + ethanol here.

Edited by razino