Pm Somchai Will Not Resign

george

Luckily it is the people who decide. Not the top brass, not the PAD (noticed the lovely report of Human rights watch about the PAD) and it is also not Prem who decide. Any government will be damned by a handful of people. This is a country in which bomb makers and people who shoot cops are protected and an PM must go for making 6500 baht as a guest cook. Maybe it is time to check the tax statements of Sonthi cs.

But never mind, nothing will change in this country till the old power base have literally died out. Thailand is the Congo on the Chaya Praya

Sad, but true. Let's cross our fingers tightly that the next generations are less murdurous and selfish.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God bless Taksin, and Samak, and their buddies, and their enemies, the Khmer Rouge, the Viet Cong, G W Bush, Castro, and Hugo Chavez. We are only commanded to love our enemies, not to agree with their policies or their actions.

You forgot the fags and the commies ...

I've spoken substantially to a senior election commission official (who hates Taksin by the way) and this election was fair. Claim otherwise all you want, but the EC (certainly not TRT / PPP supporters or dogsbodies) have the information and the strengh to say it how it was - fair.

H90, just spouting on and on and on an ubsubstatiated (and clearly incorrect according to respected authorities) opinion carries no weight - quite the reverse.

LOL

Strange ..... but the EC has stated differently :o Strange but PPP has been found guilty of election fraud already and are awaiting the penalty which very well may be party dissolution and the banning of the party brass for 5 years!

stick with facts please :D

EC resolves to seek PPP's dissolution

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission Tuesday voted unanimously to seek an order of the Constitution Court to dissolve the People Power Party.

The Election Commission Tuesday voted unanimously to seek an order of the Constitution Court to dissolve the People Power Party in connection of vote buying by its former deputy leader Yongyuth Tiyapairat.

The EC voted that the PPP had to be held responsible for vote buying committed by Yongyuth so the EC would file a suit with the Constitution Court, asking the court to dissolve the party.

-- The Nation 2008-09-02

and that's not the only issue from the last election :D

Phi Krasu Shinawatra, come to steel the babies souls...

His ghost never stops,

just dragging the entrails around from the neck, till eternity ends.

Patient:

Nurse Nurse where is Dr Thaksin?

Will he be back soon?

Nurse:

Oh he won't be back for a loooong time.

He's out on one of those eternity cases.

rimshot

:o Can you communicate normally? This is not a poetry board (however, of course you have the right to communicate in any way you desire...)

Complain about me, though I include Thai culture,

and needed humor with irony,

but 'BOO' gets a pass. Yeah right.

Good enough for Mark Twain and Will Rogers.

I'll do things my way.

I've spoken substantially to a senior election commission official (who hates Taksin by the way) and this election was fair. Claim otherwise all you want, but the EC (certainly not TRT / PPP supporters or dogsbodies) have the information and the strengh to say it how it was - fair.

H90, just spouting on and on and on an ubsubstatiated (and clearly incorrect according to respected authorities) opinion carries no weight - quite the reverse.

LOL

Strange ..... but the EC has stated differently :o Strange but PPP has been found guilty of election fraud already and are awaiting the penalty which very well may be party dissolution and the banning of the party brass for 5 years!

stick with facts please :D

EC resolves to seek PPP's dissolution

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission Tuesday voted unanimously to seek an order of the Constitution Court to dissolve the People Power Party.

The Election Commission Tuesday voted unanimously to seek an order of the Constitution Court to dissolve the People Power Party in connection of vote buying by its former deputy leader Yongyuth Tiyapairat.

The EC voted that the PPP had to be held responsible for vote buying committed by Yongyuth so the EC would file a suit with the Constitution Court, asking the court to dissolve the party.

-- The Nation 2008-09-02

and that's not the only issue from the last election :D

As usual you attempt to change the facts quoted.

Both sides (numerous parties) were 'found guilty' of election freud, yellow & red cards were handed out as per EC suggestions and the government was formed appropriately and correctly - with PPP majority. A fair result because the 'cheats' (on both sides) were rightly kicked out.

His ghost never stops,

Patient:

Will he be back soon?

Nurse:

rimshot

:o Can you communicate normally? This is not a poetry board (however, of course you have the right to communicate in any way you desire...)

I'll do things my way.

The ironic humour that you are looking for lies in the fact that the people from the North East who are supporting the PAD will do so and lose their right to vote under the proposed PAD new politics.

That is democracy for you.

Cheers, Rick

His ghost never stops,

Patient:

Will he be back soon?

Nurse:

rimshot

I'll do things my way.

I'm not complaining about you, and I wouldn't want to discourage your individuality - often I don't understand what you're trying to say, that's all. I'm interested in your opinion, but I'm not sure what it is.

Yeah, that is why 2 parties were dissolved and the PPP is most likely awaiting that same result.

sorry jas ... you can't be buying votes and call it a fair or democratic election. period. full stop.

Did your associate, the EC Commissioner, say this before or after all those red and yellow cards were issued for vote buying by them? Which, btw, they're still issuing... from a December election... with 5 more just a few days ago.

Somchai insists to stay on to carry out three important missions

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat insisted Friday that his government has to stay on to carry out three important missions.

First, his government would have to hold the royal cremation for HRH Princess Galyani Vadhana from November 14 to 19. And on November 20, there will be a ceremony for setting up a tiered umbrella to honour the late princess.

Second, his government would have to hold a grand celebration on the occasion of His Majesty the King’s birthday in December.

Somchai said the third event was important for Thailand’s image in the eyes of the International Community. He said Thais should be united to support the government in holding the Asean Summit in December. He said the entire world was watching whether Thailand could hold the event smoothly or not.

-- The Nation 2008-10-17

How the Thai baht can remain so strong against other currencies is one of the most amazing wonders of the modern world.

The country is a shambles with the Gov paralysed for how long now ? I am going to email Oz Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, tonight and tell him the secret to a strong currency is chaos. Maybe Aus can attack New Guinea or NZ. Does the curent PM really believe the rest of the world looks upon Thailand as a country to be admired.

Actually nothing wonderous about the baht strength, its being bought quite massively which is keeping it strong. Were this not the case it would probably be starting to freefall. The man in London hasn,t given up on getting his billions of baht out of the Kingdom, maybe he has instructed the BOT through his proxy government to keep buying....after all he doesn't want his holdings to be devalued. What difference to him does it make if he bankrupts the country in doing so ?

Yeah, that is why 2 parties were dissolved and the PPP is most likely awaiting that same result.

sorry jas ... you can't be buying votes and call it a fair or democratic election. period. full stop.

Jd they all vote buy - the lot of them are cheats! The EC / army were desperate to ban as many PPP as possible, but they still fairly won and took control. You cannot deny that. I hate the PPP cheats, but I still see who the Thais voted for and will next time too.

Edited by jasreeve17

Did your associate, the EC Commissioner, say this before or after all those red and yellow cards were issued for vote buying by them? Which, btw, they're still issuing... from a December election... with 5 more just a few days ago.

Be as sarcastic as you like, but the facts remain:-

1) All sides cheated (normal Thai politics, sadly) and were issued with yellow / red cards.

2) The PPP got the votes to form a government.

All this despite the fact that the army (remember the coup?) and the people they put in place to 'check' the election were desperate for the PPP not to form a government. Even despite these huge odds, and the stacked cards, the PPP still won, because that's who the majority of Thais wanted and continue to want.

I repeat one hundred times: If Taksin (who I hate personally) came back to Thai politics he would win an election by a landslide. I know it, you know it, The Thai populous knows it and PAD knows it too.

I am completely inline with your clear hatred of Taksin and the PPP. The only difference is ;I believe the PAD to be equally bad, and I also respect the Thai populous vote - you and PAD don't. Luckily for the masses you / PAD are a very tiny minority.

Jd they all vote buy - the lot of them are cheats! The EC / army were desperate to ban as many PPP as possible, but they still fairly won and took control. You cannot deny that. I hate the PPP cheats, but I still see who the Thais voted for and will next time too.

You mean the ones paying for their votes? .. You might be correct! But this is neither here no there -----

The topic is Somchai and his resignation that was called for by so many people ....

The man just has to go, the military won't listen to him and have ever so subtly suggested he step down. He's extremely unpopular not only in BKK. Even PPP supporters are suggesting he fall on his political sword so that the gov't can stay intact.

His ghost never stops,

Patient:

Will he be back soon?

Nurse:

rimshot

I'll do things my way.

I'm not complaining about you, and I wouldn't want to discourage your individuality - often I don't understand what you're trying to say, that's all. I'm interested in your opinion, but I'm not sure what it is.

Thaksin metaphorically as a disembodied spirit, a Phi Krasu, in Thai mythology,

is an angry head, dragging it's bodiless entrails around, using it's tounge to move about.

It's original body has decayed and sloughed off, yet it still moves malignly onward.

Always trying to cross thresholds, and steal babies souls and birthrights, and corrupt

mens minds, because it felt slighted in it's last times on earth, or in it's lost position of power.

It's evil and malign temperment in life, dooms it to forever try and regain

it's imagined loses, and so it haunts the living, when it can gain a tounge hold,

on their minds.

I think a Thai would get it, I may be wrong.

After having that less than pleasant vision of Thaksin forever more

attempting to regain his lost power with his words and disembodied deeds,

I needed humor, and add the classic George Burns / Gracie Allen joke.

As a relief valve for tension.

Cause surely we are building tensions needing release here.

And as I have said to others. I am partly dyslexic.

I am not writing poetry, though I DID add one this week.

And 'Journalist' thought enough of it to comment positively.

My phrase formating reflects me wanting to say things clearly.

If I can't read it properly myself, how can I get my meaning across?

You may not have known my references, but what I said made sense if you did,

and was phrased to say it as I wanted it read.

Edited by animatic

You mean the ones paying for their votes? .. You might be correct! But this is neither here no there -

The topic is Somchai and his resignation that was called for by so many people ....

The man just has to go, the military won't listen to him and have ever so subtly suggested he step down. He's extremely unpopular not only in BKK. Even PPP supporters are suggesting he fall on his political sword so that the gov't can stay intact.

Ok Somchai goes, a new election comes (supported by international observers - remember it was the EC / army that wouldn't allow international observers - says a lot in itself) and is won by MrT again. Will the PAD accept this...

In fact change the winners to any party, linked to anybody who is not directed by PAD. Will they then accept the Thai people's wishes? Of course they won't. They will only stop when they (a tiny minority group) have their own way. Sorry, but that is not democracy of any type.

His ghost never stops,

Patient:

Will he be back soon?

Nurse:

rimshot

I'll do things my way.

is an angry head, dragging it's bodiless entrails around, using it's tounge to move about.

It's original body has decayed and sloughed off, yet it still moves malignly onward.

Always trying to cross thresholds, and steal babies souls and birthrights, and corrupt

mens minds because it felt slighted in it's last times on earth, or in it's lost position of power.

it's imagined loses, and so it haunts the living, when it can gain a tounge hold,

on their minds.

After having that less than pleasant vision of Thaksin forever more

attempting to regain his lost power with his words and disembodied deeds,

I needed humor, and add the classic George Burns / Gracie Allen joke.

As a relief valve for tension.

Cause surely we are building tensions needing release here.

And as I have said to others. I am partly dyslexic.

I am not writing poetry, though I DID add one this week.

And 'Journalist' thought enough of it to comment positively.

My phrase formating reflects me wanting to say things clearly.

If I can't read it properly myself, how can I get my meaning across?

You are surely waxing lyrical tonight, but what has any of this got to do with the thread?

Rick

........The only difference is ;I believe the PAD to be equally bad, and I also respect the Thai populous vote - you and PAD don't. Luckily for the masses you / PAD are a very tiny minority.

I believe the PAD to be worse. It's very simple IMO, the PAD clearly espouses fascist ideology.

Of course they would accept others .... Remember the PAD is not a political party.

And elections where vote buying etc are happening are not democratic either.

And Thaksin's power base is disintegrating .... the PPP didn't "WIN" the last elections, they just got the most MP's elected. They had to rely on other people to form a government. Apparently the Thai electorate are learning! Look at the last 3 elections (including the voided one) and you see a shift.

I liked Thaksin his first term, for the most part. It wasn't until he thought he could do anything he wanted because he was beyond censure and had destroyed the checks and balances that are required for an operating democracy that I changed how I thought about him :o

Of course they would accept others .... Remember the PAD is not a political party.

And Thaksin's power base is disintegrating .... the PPP didn't "WIN" the last elections, they just got the most MP's elected. They had to rely on other people to form a government. Apparently the Thai electorate are learning! Look at the last 3 elections (including the voided one) and you see a shift.

I liked Thaksin his first term, for the most part. It wasn't until he thought he could do anything he wanted because he was beyond censure and had destroyed the checks and balances that are required for an operating democracy that I changed how I thought about him :o

Our thoughts on Taksin are inline, but we seperate on the PADS real agenda. You believe them to be pro-democracy, my thoughts are that they're anti-democracy & pro re-self-empowerment.

With the non stop lies and spin that they all throw does anyone really know, outside of their sad little power crazed circles? Let's call it a draw, I'm off to bed.

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? They got the most MPs elected, but they didn't win? How's that work? Is it the new PAD style election? We say who wins.

Again, and again posters re-iterate the core issues here. PPP is far from perfect but the PAD are fascists and they think most of the people of Thailand are too inferior to have a vote. But this is ignored. Instead we hear how the PAD will make everything bright and shiny and new and how terrible it is that the current democracy is far from perfect. I got news for you. They all are.

A great, great man put it much better : "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time"

His ghost never stops,

often I don't understand what you're trying to say, that's all.

mens minds because it felt slighted in it's last times on earth, or in it's lost position of power.

on their minds.

You are surely waxing lyrical tonight, but what has any of this got to do with the thread?

Rick

Thaksin is still calling the shots, and Samchai can't back down yet,

Still needing to drag the entrails of TRT though peoples lives for his own reasons.

Because Dr. T.'s work is NOT DONE YET.

So hide behind official duty's to do list.

And try an invoke a 'higher power's' alleged need for THEM to help out.

I had written rather briefly until asked to explain.

Edited by animatic

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? They got the most MPs elected, but they didn't win? How's that work? Is it the new PAD style election? We say who wins.

Again, and again posters re-iterate the core issues here. PPP is far from perfect but the PAD are fascists and they think most of the people of Thailand are too inferior to have a vote. But this is ignored. Instead we hear how the PAD will make everything bright and shiny and new and how terrible it is that the current democracy is far from perfect. I got news for you. They all are.

A great, great man put it much better : "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time"

PPP get dissolved for vote buying, so they didn't got elected....

And calling the PAD fascists just shows clearly that you didn't look into the details of the acting persons. Would say there are more very left one than right wing.

His ghost never stops,

often I don't understand what you're trying to say, that's all.

on their minds.

Rick

Thaksin is still calling the shots, and Samchai can't back down yet,

Still needing to drag the entrails of TRT though peoples lives for his own reasons.

Because Dr. T.'s work is NOT DONE YET.

So hide behind official duty's to do list.

And try an invoke a 'higher power's' alleged need for THEM to help out.

I had written rather briefly until asked to explain.

Thanks for the explanation. I did not understand you the first time, but it was well written.

Cheers, Rick

PPP get dissolved for vote buying, so they didn't got elected....

And calling the PAD fascists just shows clearly that you didn't look into the details of the acting persons. Would say there are more very left one than right wing.

And you clearly know nothing about politics. Fascism is not a left/right movement. But let's be fair, and say they are clearly a Totalitarian movement.

God bless Taksin, and Samak, and their buddies, and their enemies, the Khmer Rouge, the Viet Cong, G W Bush, Castro, and Hugo Chavez. We are only commanded to love our enemies, not to agree with their policies or their actions.

You forgot the fags and the commies ...

Gee, and there I was thinking all along that the Khmer Rouge, V.C., Castro and Red Hugo were commies. As for fags, your avatar has one in his mouth I think. :o

I note that theres a nastly little incident brewing up at the border with Cambodia that isn't quoted as a reason to stay on, nor the economic crisis. Oh well in light of the story below it looks like it will be a very reluctant coup.

Silent coup.

By Wassana Nanuam, Pradit Ruangdit and Nattaya Chetchotiros

Army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda has stated flatly for the first time that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat should resign to take responsibility for the Oct 7 clashes between police and People's Alliance for Democracy demonstrators.

In an hour-long interview on Channel 3 on Thursday, Gen Anupong reiterated responsibility must be taken because of public unease over what happened on Oct 7 when police fired teargas canisters to break up the protest outside parliament.

"If the government gave the order, it has to take responsibility. If the people cannot tolerate it, there will be chaos and the matter will not be put to an end," he said.

The rally tried unsuccessfully to prevent the government from declaring its policy in parliament. At the end of the day, two people were dead and more than 400 were injured, some critically.

Since then, the prime minister has come under heavy criticism for overreacting to the protest.

Asked what he would do if he were the prime minister, Gen Anupong said: "To be honest, I would resign. Why would I stay on? The country is in ruins. It will not hold on.

"I am not saying this to pressure the government to resign, but it must take responsibility. No government can survive after the spilling of people's blood, because society can never accept this. There's no point in staying on when the country has already been damaged."

It is unfortunate that people were injured and sad indeed for 2 to loose their lives. However if you take it for what it was, the use of tear gas is quite often used in other countries, it is the option taken when violence and bloodshed ARE NOT WANTED. It seems the problem is not the tear gas itself but the canisters that caused the damage and I doubt the person responsible for purchasing same would have been aware that these could cause deaths.

The army chief sat side by side with Supreme Commander Gen Songkitti Jakkabatr, navy chief Adm Kamthorn Phumhiran, air force leader ACM Itthaporn Supawong, and police chief Pol-Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan during the programme in a show of unity.

Gen Anupong continued to rule out a coup, saying it would not solve the political strife. The armed forces leaders and the public were not in favour of it.

He defended the army's role in the Oct 7 incident, saying it was not aware of the government's order to police to disperse the demonstrators.

He said he regretted the violence and would have opposed the police measures if he could.

A source close to Gen Anupong said the army chief wanted Mr Somchai to step down, not to dissolve the House, to end the political turmoil.

Had violence been intended then I suspect Firearms would have been used. Their are ways of protesting and in this case the organisers of the protest have to take some of the responsibility.

"He does not want a coup. So, the prime minister must resign," said the source.

The army chief's remarks could catch the prime minister off guard.

Earlier on Thursday Mr Somchai, also the defence minister, was greeted with a warm welcome when he officially assumed his duties at the Defence Ministry.

The armed forces leaders also followed him over to Muang Thong Thani to listen to his policy only to later appear on television and demand that he hand in his resignation.

Gen Anupong's statement prompted the People Power party to call an urgent meeting. Former deputy leader Yongyuth Tiyapairat was said to be the only one who saw Mr Somchai, a source in the party said.

Strategies that would be employed include ignoring the call from the army leader and forcing the armed forces to stage a coup so it could then be a target of criticism, or dissolving parliament, the source said.

Another source close to deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said Mr Thaksin had recommended three candidates to succeed Mr Somchai if he decides to stand down.

They are Foreign Minister Sompong Amornvivat, Deputy House Speaker Apiwan Wiriyachai and Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana leader Gen Chettha Thanajaro.

Democrat executive member Sathit Wongnongtoey said the opposition party strongly opposed a military coup or any other attempt to resolve the current political crisis unconstitutionally, including the setting up of a national government.

Source Bangkok Post www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=131470

Somchai insists to stay on to carry out three important missions

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat insisted Friday that his government has to stay on to carry out three important missions.

First, his government would have to hold the royal cremation for HRH Princess Galyani Vadhana from November 14 to 19. And on November 20, there will be a ceremony for setting up a tiered umbrella to honour the late princess.

The Thai people will honor the late Princess regardless.

Second, his government would have to hold a grand celebration on the occasion of His Majesty the King’s birthday in December.

The Thai people celebrate the King's birthday every year, no need for Somchai.

Somchai said the third event was important for Thailand’s image in the eyes of the International Community. He said Thais should be united to support the government in holding the Asean Summit in December. He said the entire world was watching whether Thailand could hold the event smoothly or not.

With all that has happened in the last few months in Thai politics, it's a wonder that Thailand isn't the laughing stock of ASEAN. The entire world has more important things to worry about ASEAN's perception of Thailand.

-- The Nation 2008-10-17

Thaksin didn't resign, Samak didn't resign and Somchai won't resign. The first two were forced from the position of P.M. and I feel sure the Somchai will be sooner than later.