Motorbike

jonboy

Harleys are expensive but not so much more expensive then abroad! Since we are all talking about bikes...I am selling a Harley Heritage softail with new battery, tyres, new Mikuni 42mm carb, new Crane Hi 4 ignition, lots of chrome extras, runs great, custom handlebars,lowered suspensions, custom seat, Thunderheader pipes.....original purple color, if interested please pm me.... or email me  :o

I figure about double compared to US prices, Aus buddies tell me close to Aus prices. What year is the bike and tao rai. A bud is selling 2000 Fat Boy with lots of extras for 800,000.He bought a 2005 Road King for 1.4mill

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You will have cars and bikes coming headon at you on the wrong side of the street, at nihgt with no lights, be ready for it always have an escape plan, sometimes you just can't stop fast enough.

Getting used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road was one thing. But the first time out on the highway, on the left shoulder, approaching an oncoming motorbike, I ran out of ideas. Fortunately, I slowed down enough to figure out you pass to the right in this situation -- usually. On narrow country roads, sometimes it's hard to figure out if the motorbike approaching in the middle of the road will pass 'wrong way' or 'right way.' Keeps things interesting.

Oh, is there anything on the market in Thailand for instant tire repair, i.e., portable can that will fill and repair (with gunk) your tire? Some of the spots I've explored are really in the sticks, where a tire puncture would ruin the week, let alone the day.

Phantom 150. No problems, and with adjustable rear suspension, nice ride. Good bike for an old man.

Oh, is there anything on the market in Thailand for instant tire repair, i.e., portable can that will fill and repair (with gunk) your tire? Some of the spots I've explored are really in the sticks, where a tire puncture would ruin the week, let alone the day.

I ride off the beaten track quite often so I always carry a can of instant puncture repair. You can buy them from Homepro, possibly Tesco or Carrefour may have them too.

Should be buying the bike tomorrow and still no helmet!! Ive looked in lots of the small bike shops and at Seacon,Seri center,Central Bangna etc etc and the biggest I've found are 2 61cms.Funny enough only one goes over my head without pain(maybe extra padding??).The local helmets range from 100-1000 baht which is fine but I decided to goto a shop on Ekami and look at some imported helmets......18,000 baht!!!!!!!!!He reckons I might pick one up for between 7,500-10,000 at one shop but not sure.I'm not traveling long distances , mainly just for to and from work so I dont want to spend this kind of money.If you know of a shop anywhere with larger helmets then please post(61cm or more....61 is bare minimum).

Thanks

Try Faddy's shop. It's off Lad Prao soi 4. I bought an OGK open face helmet that's made in Japan for 4,000baht. They don't have a very good range or many helmets in stock though. Best bet would be to go to Red Baron's on Sukhapiban Rd in Bang Kapi. They have OGK's for around 5,000b. (washable liners too)

Maybe Mr T bike on Rama III may be worth a visit as he keeps a lot of old stock at (I think) old prices.

Try this link for other possible places.

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/shops/index.html

Edited by Gazza

OK thanks again all....I'm on the road now!!!...BEWARE!!

Just to let you all know the absolute facts(IN MY AREA).I'll tell you how I got on...

I decided on a Phantom 200 as suggested here on the forum and also at Ajarn.I found the bike of my dreams off the internet site http://www.mocyc.com/store/ (In thai but quite easy to use the search facility if you don't understand Thai)which again I was told about in the forums.I found a bike for 53,000 and then knocked him down to 48,000.The bike was 2 years and 2 months old...here's a picture 31337.jpg

First of all I wanted my Thai driving licience for both a car and a motorbike.The car was no problem as I already have an English DL, but for the bike I had to complete a test.For both DL's they require:-

1, Passport

2, Non-Imm visa(of any kind)

3, EITHER a, work permit or b,letter confirming your address from your embassy.For some reason when I went to the embassy they wanted to see NO proof of residency...they just took my word(kind of defeats the whole object)

Ive seen it wrote that you only need a letter from your local police station instead of the embassy but I got one of these first and believe me THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT IT as I really tried(again this is this particular office). The letter from the embassy costs 1,600 baht and is a single sheet of paper(ridiculous) saying that they have nothing on file saying that the address stated is untrue(about 3/4 lines). They will not give the letter to you the same day so I asked for it to be posted to me as I live quite far away.

Then off to the office of transportation which is situated nearly directly opposite sukhumvit soi 62(look for the archway leading into an avenue with no soi number)I gave all the documents to the lady behind the desk(was unsure where to go but in front of you as you walk in the MAIN doors there is a small desk.If you stand there for a while someone will tell you the window to goto.She filled in everything for me just asking for signatures.You also need special sized pictues and photocopies which can all be obtained here for low low cost(maybe 65 baht for pictues?).

As I didnt have a current bike DL they asked me to come back the next day for the exam.There are 20 questions(multiple choice) which I scored 17(test is in English aswell).They also test you for colour blindness,depth perseption and reaction speed using a machine.Now onto the course.This consists of a go-kart sized course with about 6/7 signs to obey...4 of which are STOP signs.Then you need to weave in and out of cones and hey presto...you've passed.I saw lots of Thais mounting the curbs in their cars,knocking the cones over while reversing and going in the wrong direction....PASS..lol

O.k...Now I need to get the bike into my name.You need to go to the same location as before(same location for driving course,driving licience,exam,registration.road tax and insurance!).You need to go with the person your buying the bike off so that he can provide his id card and signature (witnessed)...(this is presuming your buying second hand...if not most of this will be done for you by the shop I think).After you have both filled in the correct forms and the money is handed over you can then goto get your insurance sorted out(before you register your bike for some reason).As long as you have the document you have just filled out stating he has just sold the bike to you with his signature on it they will put the insurance into your name.The compulsory goverment insurance including tax etc for a 200 phantom came to 470 baht.For a smaller engine(less than 125) it is less.The place to arrange the insurance is just to your right as you walk into the building (small booth(closed for 1 hour for lunch 12-1pm)).

Now upto floor3 to give your documents to the lady at the small desk infront of all the counters.She will then give you a number which you need to wait for being called and goto the correct window when told to do so.Wait about 1 hour and then they charge you about 430 baht which includes the transfer into your name and also the 1 year road tax.

SORTED!!

You now need to turn left out of the builing/avenue to drive for about 3 seconds before being stopped by the police(lol) and then they see you havent yet stuck the stickers on the bike.Quick explanation by pointing to the office over my shoulder and showing them the stickers and let go no problems.

P.s. I DON'T have an international licience and I'm English so some details may not be the same for you....but mostly I think they should be.Also this is the requirements for this particular office in Bangkok.

Hope this helps a few people.

• 7 months later...

I got back to Thailand in December, spent a while in Pattaya and decided to buy the Phantom 200 there.

Rode it up to home in Phrae with a few stops on the way.

Found it very comfortable and definitely adequate for my needs.

Drive thru Bangkok was not much fun tho!.

I paid the extra for the small running boards instead of the footpegs and was glad I had. Definitely makes for a more comfortable ride if going any distance.

Anyway, motorbike has been great and I still enjoy going out on it.

I can see that for some people, they will consider it lacking in power, but for me, more than good enough.

Amazing motorbike for the same price as 85 Bangkok bargirls, but guaranteed a great ride everytime. :D:D

That was meant as a joke, I have no idea how much a Bangkok bargirl costs!!! :o

I got back to Thailand in December, spent a while in Pattaya and decided to buy the Phantom 200 there.

I paid the extra for the small running boards instead of the footpegs and was glad I had. Definitely makes for a more comfortable ride if going any distance.

I can see that for some people, they will consider it lacking in power, but for me, more than good enough.

Amazing motorbike for the same price as 85 Bangkok bargirls, but guaranteed a great ride everytime.  :D  :D

3k per trip LOL

I don't know about this 'pennis' word here in Thailand.  Just yesterday, during the parents' meeting, one of the mothers of my 12 or 13 year old boys said that her son had two operations.  My boss translated that one was for an artery in the neck (carotid, probably) and the other operation was to the boy's 'pennis.'

Chopper style gas tanks don't tend to slap you in the crotch on hard stops as badly as the sportsbikes do.  Once in Houston I was distracted by a very attractive young adult body and bumped the car in front of me at about 8 miles per hour.  Ouch!

Try looking at baht and sold they have a good range of secondhand bikes thereis a nice looking Yamaha 400 0n there at the moment 49000.

I've got a Honda 150 RR for sale. I've got over 26,000 baht into it and she's fast. I've had her up to 140k and had to slow down for a turn. It's got plenty of new stuff: chain, both sprockets, battery,airfilter and plug. More parts also. PM me if interested with your email addy and I'll send a pic.

• 1 month later...

Ok so it's a bit dodgy. Get an international licence from uk. Had one for 3 years in BK and evrytime the police stopped me i'd show it. He'd look I explain "look see?international" :D smile. The 50bht in the licence I keep for those emergencies :o normally disappears and I go on my merry way.

Once got hit up the back by a taxi while on my phantom. Even showed licence to big police in the station. Got paid out by thai insurance co :D

The Phantoms a cool bike as small bikes go. Been all the the way to phuket, sankla, aranyapatet.

When i go back to stay in a couple of years I'm hoping there will be a market for bigger bikes though. I'm a triumph nut so Harleys don't realy do it for me,apart from the V rod, yum :D

Never seen one for sale in thailand but I bet they cost a bomb

Whats all that crap about no bikes on freeway/tollway btw :D

Dave where were you when I was looking for an intruder 1400 a few years ago :D

OK I thought i'd keep this thread going instead of starting a new one.What happens when my Thai 1 year driving licience runs out if I no longer have a non-imm b visa?will they renew it?

Thanks

As I recall when I changed to the five year I needed a new letter fromimmigration, but what they heck how with a smile and see what happens, or renew the visa and go for the five year. I had an odd experience in that when I tried to renew I went early a few days before expiration. They wopuld only give me a one year unless I came back on the exact day. Maybe it was just Udon I have no idea. I came back on the specific day and no problems at all.

It is probably going to depend on which clerk handles your paperwork, just luck of the draw.

• 2 years later...
You seem to know what your talking about Dave.Are you the same Dave who buys and sells bikes? :o

Hi Dave, agree with what you say about the Phantom, I had a Boss for 4 years and loved it, then I found out it was made in India so it had to go. Now have a Phantom and enjoying it immensely, doing 100 + Kilometres a day back and fro to work. Also in the market for something a bit bigger in a couple of months time, do you have any recommendations? Anyway good riding to you all

Chris Aitch

i have a lovely 250cc chopper its a monoco platinum,i am thinking of selling it when im back in thailand in november,its a reall cool looker looks a lot bigger cc than a 250cc,i have had it for two years but only drive it when im in thailand so it dont get much use,a lovely bike for only 55.000bath if any one interrsted i want to get a biger bike maybe a 600cc

post-47360-1190236627.jpg

We went on the Issan Honda safety ride two years in a row now, met some great people farrang and Thia, have fun with it.

What is this? Never heard of it. Have you any more details please? Thanks

Dear Loong,

These rides are organised by regional Honda dealerships. Sometimes you have to stay overnight, mostly in a beautiful place in nature. They have music, food and other entertainment (sleeping in a tent?), they promote the brand a little bit, but it is a very nice thing to do (sorry Sir, I don't remember the name of the person who recommended it).

It is a good feeling to enjoy something together with Thai people. For a day or so, even if you are remembered often about it, strange enough it seems that you are just a human being among other human beings. Because you enjoy the same things. In a way you are not a farang anymore, but a Thai-farang or Farang-thai.

The people will love you and think 'hey, that farang is almost the same as we are".

Do it!

Sounds v interesting - when is the next one and where?? thanks in advance

i have a lovely 250cc chopper its a monoco platinum,i am thinking of selling it when im back in thailand in november,its a reall cool looker looks a lot bigger cc than a 250cc,i have had it for two years but only drive it when im in thailand so it dont get much use,a lovely bike for only 55.000bath if any one interrsted i want to get a biger bike maybe a 600cc

You'll be lucky after all the bad posts from this make of bike :o

Sorry but nearly cracked a rib laughing :o

By the time you get back here it will have rusted away. The biggest load of crap in Thailand. Think LADA and then think a really bad LADA and you have Platinum. Chinese made and badly at that. For 55,000 you can get a good second hand Honda Phantom. Do they even cost that much new? A mate bought a Platinum Traily bike, I did try to warn him, and the thing spent more time getting fixed than riding it. Bits were falling off left right and centre. He eventually got his money back and bought an old Honda AX1 and has never looked back

BE WARNED AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but nearly cracked a rib laughing :o

By the time you get back here it will have rusted away. The biggest load of crap in Thailand. Think LADA and then think a really bad LADA and you have Platinum. Chinese made and badly at that. For 55,000 you can get a good second hand Honda Phantom. Do they even cost that much new? A mate bought a Platinum Traily bike, I did try to warn him, and the thing spent more time getting fixed than riding it. Bits were falling off left right and centre. He eventually got his money back and bought an old Honda AX1 and has never looked back

BE WARNED AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harsh but fair

Hi Loong

Read this and got the running boards fitted at the 5K service(yes I know it should be 4K), what a difference, a great little bike made even better, Cheers Mate

Chris

Amazing motorbike for the same price as 85 Bangkok bargirls, but guaranteed a great ride everytime. :D:D