Cold Pressed Coconut Oil

gymboxgirl

I'm wanting to buy some cold pressed 'virgin' coconut oil, does anyone know where to get in CM?

Chemists/pharmacys around town sell it in small clear plastic bottles for around 200B - which is a tad too expensive. I'm sure it must be for sale somewhere in bulk, for cheaper price.

Does anyone know where?

Cheers.

Aden on the Nimmanhemin road, just before the T-junction with lights has it.

Depending for what you need it, you can also go to a local market and buy coconut milk (kati) for 20 baht or so. The plastic bag with the milk you put in your fridge. The oil with some white stuff will go to the top and hardens up. That's your oil. Easy and cheap.

Nienke

Aden on the Nimmanhemin road, just before the T-junction with lights has it.

Depending for what you need it, you can also go to a local market and buy coconut milk (kati) for 20 baht or so. The plastic bag with the milk you put in your fridge. The oil with some white stuff will go to the top and hardens up. That's your oil. Easy and cheap.

Nienke

Thanks Slip and Nienke, I will check there.

My experience is that buying it from those vendors at the wet markets who make kra-tit is not always very hygienic (take a look at their machines if you don't believe me) and often the product has spoiled by the very next day.

Rimping sells a big bottle for around B500 as I remember. I bought one last month and having been taking a teaspoon twice and day and it's not run out yet.

Can't comment on other suggestions.

Cheers

My experience is that buying it from those vendors at the wet markets who make kra-tit is not always very hygienic (take a look at their machines if you don't believe me) and often the product has spoiled by the very next day.

Correct. And that's why I said 'depending for what you need it'. If you're planning to use it topical, put it in your hair, on your dog's coat or in its food, or cook with it, the kati at the local market would do just fine.

The coconut stuff spoils quickly if kept outside of the fridge or within a few days when kept in the fridge. What I usually do is keep a little in the fridge and the rest I keep in small portions in the freezer.

Nienke

Wow! WOOW! WOOOOW!

Found Aden today, can't believe I haven't been before! What a great shop - everything from wheat grass juice, coconut shampoos and natural soaps. Awesome! I can get my fix of wholesome foods.

I bought some 100% organic coconut oil. Thanks N!

I notice on your post that you recommend freezing it. Is that for all types of oil? Only, the jar I just bought says to store at room temperature once opened. I'd hate for it to go off.

An inappropriate post has been deleted.

As the OP is a lady, I don't think she deserves any speculation about uses of coconut oil.

Further transgressions will be dealt with in a somewhat harsher manner.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hi gymboxgirl,

Aden is a nice shop with very kind people, isn't it?! :D

I would follow the directions on the bottle. If you keep it in the fridge the oil hardens.

When I make the oil from the kati there is always some finely gated meat in it, making the substance whitish. It needs more processing to make it clear. Dunno how to do that, and honestly I'm not much bothered by it as well. :o

Nienke

• 1 year later...

The coconut stuff spoils quickly if kept outside of the fridge or within a few days when kept in the fridge. What I usually do is keep a little in the fridge and the rest I keep in small portions in the freezer.

Nienke

I bought my first 2 bottles of "Paridice" brand virgin cold pressed coconut oil last at "Carrfore" in Jungcelon Patong last night. After having it recommended to me by my personal trainer for loads of resons I went home and got online to read volumes of reserch on it and the helth benifits. I will not bother to go through all of the info on a forum and if interested do the reserch yourself and you will probably do the same as myself and go out and bye some.

One of the interesting things about the most highly recommended brands "Paridice" is that cold pressed virgin coconut oil can be kept on your cooking counter for up too 2 years without refriduration. Do not by the other types that are recomended for suning with as they are not cold pressed virgin.

I found it in Carrefore in the cooking oil Isle between the oils and organic rice choices. They only stock the small bottles so I bought 2 at 169 baht per bottle. It looked like a white jelly when I saw the bottles and did not move at all when I gave the bottle a vigorous shake. Upon taking it home I decided that I would get on-line this morning and find out what and how to use this jelly stuff. Behold! On my counter sat 2 bottles of beiutifull clear oil and I can only surmize that the previoss form was a result of the air conditioning at the shoping center.

I bought the extra bottle for my trainer as she mentioned that she did not know where to bye it localy and after reading all the research I learned more about fats and oils then a one hour training session.

I hope this info helps and regards from Nai Harn Richard