Is It Phuket, Thailand, Honda Or Me?

RigPig

Well as the topic says is it Phuket, Thailand, Honda or me?

I am in the market for a car have been looking at the Honda Jazz, but all of the second hand ones I have seen seem to be extraordinarily expensive. I have just seen a 2004 model nothing special, auto 478,000 baht :o . A new one is only about 550,000. Why the expensive price are they just holding their money or is it where we live?

Does anyone know where there is a reasonably priced second hand car yard around in Phuket. I didn't particularly see the need for a new car and I figure the GF will only bend it eventually anyway (or someone else), but I will not pay that much for a 4 year old car with no warranty !

Any suggestions? :D

Thanks for any replies

RigPig

Yes, it was a bit shock to me the second hand car prices when I arrived in Phuket. My then new girl friend advised me to buy a new car, and I thought that poor advice. But after 12+ years now I realise that was good advice. I have found out that there are no cheap second cars available in Thailand, especially Phuket Island. Sorry, I can't help you with a reasonable priced second hand dealer.

I had the same advise as livingkata,buy new but I thought I knew better and trolled around most of the ripoff dealers in Phuket.A 3year old truck that has probably had 20 Thais in the back was only about 100k cheaper.Sorry no good 2nd had car dealers on Phuket.Mind you I don't think I have ever met a good 2nd hand car dealer.

I am having the same trouble at the moment trying to find my GF a 2nd hand motorbike.

I am having the same trouble at the moment trying to find my GF a 2nd hand motorbike.

Your only hope is finding a farang leaving Thailand and must sell quick. Otherwise just buy a new one.

She has already wrote one off and its only to go to the market on so she will have to wait for a 2nd hand one.

Is anyone else having problems connecting to T.V tonight or is it just my usual crap connection

Prices don't deteriorate as fast here as back in the states where i come from.

Same in Brazil. Used car prices are high there too. Maybe it has something to do with the average salary and only the rich can afford cars/trucks???

I bought a 2nd hand pickup truck here that was 8 years old and spent more money than i ever have for a vehicle.

The good part is that it is still running great and has not had any major problems. I expect to keep it a while.

I considered buying new and am glad i didn't. The new ones were all too big for my taste. Parking spots in Asia are not big. That would be a problem for sure.

Anyway, that's the way it is here. You can find some bargains if you have the cash and are patient and look around. I have a friend who just bought a 10 year old pickup for 50,000 baht. A Toyota too.

But, if you want a Honda Jazz, you might have to pay big bucks for it.

I too had problems connecting earlier to Thai Visa. Must've been somthing going on.

So it's not just me and it's not just looking in the wrong places :D .

Oh well I wont be getting out of it for 350,000 like I had hoped, that doesn't worry me too much as the resale value is good and it should hold its price fairly well :o .

Trouble is I hate to see a new car spend most of its time in the panel beaters shop (any one know a good one Ha Ha) and I can see the insurance policy going through the roof, but maybe I'm just a pessimist or have been here too long and just expect the worst.

Thanks for the feed back and if anyone else has anything to add I would be grateful.

Cheers

RigPig

So it's not just me and it's not just looking in the wrong places :D .

Oh well I wont be getting out of it for 350,000 like I had hoped, that doesn't worry me too much as the resale value is good and it should hold its price fairly well :D .

Trouble is I hate to see a new car spend most of its time in the panel beaters shop (any one know a good one Ha Ha) and I can see the insurance policy going through the roof, but maybe I'm just a pessimist or have been here too long and just expect the worst.

Thanks for the feed back and if anyone else has anything to add I would be grateful.

Cheers

RigPig

Nothing cheap second hand! its simply really the new prices are resonable if the car is Thai made, and most models sold here are! but the greatest factor that keeps second hand prices high are the very cheap service and repair costs AND of course no real goverment testing :o

Well as the topic says is it Phuket, Thailand, Honda or me?

I am in the market for a car have been looking at the Honda Jazz, but all of the second hand ones I have seen seem to be extraordinarily expensive. I have just seen a 2004 model nothing special, auto 478,000 baht :o . A new one is only about 550,000. Why the expensive price are they just holding their money or is it where we live?

Does anyone know where there is a reasonably priced second hand car yard around in Phuket. I didn't particularly see the need for a new car and I figure the GF will only bend it eventually anyway (or someone else), but I will not pay that much for a 4 year old car with no warranty !

Any suggestions? :D

Thanks for any replies

RigPig

Hi

I'm selling a Red Honda Jazz and am not impressed with the results......My car was purchased 2nd August, has 1250km on the clock, top of the range with leather seats and other goodies....cost me a total of 750,000 and I'm selling for 600,000. Reason?? I'm leaving Phuket. The car is brand new and hardly used (I've been in the UK for most of the time since I bought it). Interested?

I understand your problem as I suffered from the same frustration as well. Sure, if you've got the money and it doesn't bother you too much financialy to buy a new car...buy one. However, I do believe good second-hand cars can be found in Phuket. The dealers (second-hand)I don't trust, just like dealers everywhere. My best advise for you would be to talk with as many expats as possible saying that you're looking for a car. My experience is sadly, the best cars often come from the westerners...not to say you can't obtain one from a Thai national. Some of my friends have been very lucky and bought some GREAT second-hand cars (from expats) and so have I. Compile a price list of the model you want and shop, shop and shop around. Take it slowly as I'm sure sonner rather than later, one will pop up with your name on it. Good luck mate. :o

While this thread contains 'conventional wisdom' repeated all the time by expats I dont actually agree..

First off the 'cars hold thier money' aspect.. Yes they do more then the west but they also hold thier money far less than they used to a couple of years ago.. The flood of cheap credit and Thais buying cars they cant afford has resulted in loads more on the market.. I was offered some really nice pickups (selection of models from up north) all of which were less than a year old and were in the 350 - 400 range.. Fully loaded with options.. Really nice ranger 4 door etc.. Someones taken a 200 - 250k bath on those for a few months use. As with many markets here theres always the 'unrealistic' prices that are put out there but very little moves in that.. If you need to actually shift something then to seal the deal these days requires prices that show a depreciation curve.

Secondly the 'cant buy a good deal second hand'.. Well I agree it a bit tougher.. You need to be able to work at it a bit more and Thai maintenance means things can be badly off when they really shouldnt. However here on phuket we have an issue that can be used to our advantage.. As this island seems to have higher second hand prices than elsewhere if you will buy out of province and bring here you gain a step up.. I am now on my 3rd car here and both the others I made money on the sale !! By buying at the late end of the depreciation curve, by buying cars that are not popular with Thais, and buying out of province theres been basically free motoring.

I I needed to replace my runabout, I would be looking at a well kept older Euro motor like a Audi 100 or A6 or large Volvo in really good condition.. The only hassle factor with those is the lack of parts but I have a guy who can source anything from Bangkok. Buying a big Euro motor at around 200k and drive it for years and the lack of anything nice in the low end of the market means your kinda OK on resale. I have also learnt that owning new things or really nice things, in Thailand is an exercise in frustration.. Your pride and joy gets trashed by others, and becomes a hassle rather than a tool.

I would much rather drive this http://one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails.asp...71108&row=2 (if only it was a manual) at probably 200k to a max of about 230 than I would a jazz at twice the price and then some.. But then everyones tastes are different. Just seems to me you get an awful lot more VW or Volvo or Audi for your money than a Honda or Toyota.

Hi

I'm selling a Red Honda Jazz and am not impressed with the results......My car was purchased 2nd August, has 1250km on the clock, top of the range with leather seats and other goodies....cost me a total of 750,000 and I'm selling for 600,000. Reason?? I'm leaving Phuket. The car is brand new and hardly used (I've been in the UK for most of the time since I bought it). Interested?

Is there possible to buy your car on Finance with down payment and monthly instalments?

When I was looking to buy my secondhand car I spent a few weeks looking at prices on the internet. www.one2car.com . From this I found that for some reason secondhand Hondas tend to be more expensive than other marques. Nissan and Mitsubishi's tend to be cheaper than Toyotas with Hondas being the most expensive of the big 4. This is only a general finding as if you shop around there are fair deals out there .

Go to BKK, and check out the cars there, there are deals to be had.

Wife and I picked up a 2004 E-class Benz two months ago, 220 CDI diesel, classic (i.e. lower trim levels) but only 86,000 km (~50,+00 miles) on the clock. 1.8M for the car.

The seller had lots of other cars for sale (or pawned); the 'tents' in Phuket are generally useless imho, BKK ones have some interesting things for sale.

i made the mistake of buying a 2nd hand pick-up, from a farang guy too. the wheel/axle assembly had been badly damaged internally and welded up to last long enough to sell. i ended up spending more on the dam_n thing than buying a new one. i got rid of it and bought a new toyota 4x4 with full insurance for a year thrown in, far better deal and great resale if i ever want to get another new one. don't wast time and money with 2nd hand.