[denmark] Want To Bring Wife To Visit

I have a neighbor (in the same village where my wife's family lives, in the middle of Nakhon Ratchasima), for which I am writing this post.

He wants to return to Denmark for the Xmas holidays and also wants his Thai wife to accompany him. He does not wish to settle in Denmark, but merely to return to settle his financial affairs and obtain a Non Imm O visa. He and his wife are in their 50's (well his wife could pass for 49). He is currently constructing a house on his wife's property (in Issan), and has spent over 200K baht.

I believe his wife to be sincere, so I do not think she is trying to rip him off. She has nothing, other than family and a rice field (or two). But she does care about her Danish husband. My wife also thinks the same.

I for one, think the Danish fellow is is naive/ignorant concerning the requirements necessary to retire in Thailand.

Because his English is poor, I do not fully understand if he has a pension, or is merely rich from selling navel lint all his life. He has been experiencing trouble having his money wired to Thailand for the last month or so since I have met him. This Friday (24 Oct 2008) he claims that his money will arrive. Either way, I am merely posting a query to see if any Danish fellow(s) have been a similar experience and can shed some light on what this guy needs, and can, do.

Oh, to add more flavor to the problem, my friend is in trouble... he has overstayed his tourist visa + 30 day extension. I've told him, and he (I think) understands, that for a 40+ day overstay, he will have to pay 20K baht fine to check-out of Swampi. What would be the outcome if he were to check-out at Nong Khai into Vientiane to get a Non-Imm O visa?

If he is dead-set on going to Copenhagen (Denmark) first, what is the likelihood that he can bring his wife. She does not have a Thai passport, which obviously would be required. What about the visa to Denmark? Can the wife qualify for a tourist visa, or is this a long-shot? If I knew how long they have been married, I would supply that info, but I do not know. Does the wife have a sincere reason to return?... only her age dictates that answer. Believe me, she would not want to stay in Denmark without financial support.

Edited by Gumballl

It would be very difficult indeed for a danish person to avoid having some form of benefits payment coming.

Unfortunately the benefits drop quite a bit if you are living outside the EU.

The guy sounds bonkers tbh, so might be eligible for a bit more.

I seriously doubt that he will be able to get his wife to Denmark (with or without passport) especially if he is not of independent means.

Basically, dunno.

It would be very difficult indeed for a danish person to avoid having some form of benefits payment coming.

Unfortunately the benefits drop quite a bit if you are living outside the EU.

The guy sounds bonkers tbh, so might be eligible for a bit more.

I seriously doubt that he will be able to get his wife to Denmark (with or without passport) especially if he is not of independent means.

Basically, dunno.

I know very little of the EU, being that I lived in Italy/Portugal much before any such blasphemy as "union" was mentioned.

From what I can tell (from exchange rates), Denmark, as small as it is, is NOT part of the EU. Maybe I am wrong??

Edited by Gumballl

Can the Danish I mentioned in the OP go to Vientiane for his Non-Imm-O visa, or is that too risky based on that he has overstayed his visa?

P.S. Mods -- please move this thread be moved to the "Visa and Migration to Thailand" section. Maybe I will get more responses.

His overstay will cost him 500 baht a day, with a maximum of 20,000. They will note the overstay in his passport, but it hasn't any consequences. If he is checked in Thailand and they see his overstay he will be jailed till he pays the fine and can show a ticket out of the country. If he sows up at the airport they will only fine him.

Regarding his non-Immigrant he can apply at a consulate with his marriage certificate and a letter from his wife asking for a visa for him. That will get him a non-O for 90 days, or a multiple for one year. In Thailand he can apply either for an extension of stay based on marriage (if he can show a family income of 40,000 baht a month, that is he and his wife combined).

As he is over 50 he can also apply on the base of retirement. (He needs to show either an income of 65,000 or have 800,000 on a Thai bank account for 3 months prior to applying for an extension).

Note that an extension based on retirement is easier to get.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

extension marriage 7.17

extension retirement 7.23

Edited by Mario2008

The OP asked questions about three different subjects that would belong in three different forums:

1. non-O visa for a foreigner married to a Thai wife

2. unspecified difficulties of a Danish national with money transfers to Thailand

3. visa for a Danish national's Thai wife to travel to Denmark

With his latest post he asked for the thread to be transferred to the "Visa and Migration to Thailand" section but there is no such forum and the thread is now in the forum "Thai visas, residency and work permits”. Therefore, let us limit the discussion in this thread to the question about the Danish man’s intention to get a non-O visa, ie point 1 above.

Point 2 would belong in the forum “Jobs, economy, banking, business, investment in Thailand” but without any specifics it would be useless to post there.

Point 3 belongs in the forum “Visas and migration to other countries” and the OP should feel free to post there, limiting his comment and questions to that subject.

--

Maestro

With an overstay, the situation can be a bit tricky. He can go to the nearest immigration office, pay his overstay fee of 20,000 Baht and if the officer agrees he can get a 60-day extension to visit Thai wife under clause 7.23 of the Royal Thai Police Order No. 606/2549. If he can’t get this 60-day extension he will probably be given a 7-day extension and he then has to go to a Thai consulate to get a tourist visa or non-O visa. Both procedures will give him time to stay in Thailand until December.

--

Maestro

Posts about a visa to Denmark have been deleted. If the OP chooses to post a relevant question about it in the forum “Visas and migration to other countries” please respond to him there.

Thank you!

--

Maestro

Gentlemen, thank you for the replies.

I am sorry about the confusing opening post. The Dane has a lot of issues, of which I hope one (his money transfer) gets sorted out today.

IMO, this guy needs to check-out of Thailand... and remain outside. He lacks the basic comprehensive English language skills, and because his Thai wife cannot assist in translating English to Danish, this guy is always going to be in the "dark". The only Thai embassy/consulate that can really explain things to him is probably the one in Copenhagen (if there even is one).

When I see him again, I will try to let him know of his options. If he wishes to remain in Thailand, I think the retirement option would be best for him, but whether he has sufficient funds is still a mystery. The first thing he needs to do though is check-out of Thailand before he meets up with the BiB.

Well, in a few days I will be leaving LOS myself. This guy is going to be in a world of hurt if the information I provide him doesn't sink in.

Once again, thank you for the replies.