Upgrading From Tot 1mb To 2 Mb

KohKarrang

I've read a lot of reports from other thaivisa members about the virtues and vices of upgrading from 1mb to 2mb, but I'm still not convinced if it's worth switching!

I'll be paying B1090 per month instead of B580 I believe(or something around that) and I'll be expecting download speeds of 200-250kb/s, is this realistic or just a ploy to take our money with no guarantees of speeds?

I also read that some customers have been able to swindle upgrades for free, what's the bets way to approach this?

I'm with TOT and have taken advantage of a recent premotion to upgrade to 2Mb for just 590bt.

There is an increase in speed though this can fluctuate with the way the wind is blowing. I'm getting pretty regular 160 kB/s on torrent downloads.

:o

I'm with TOT and have taken advantage of a recent premotion to upgrade to 2Mb for just 590bt.

There is an increase in speed though this can fluctuate with the way the wind is blowing. I'm getting pretty regular 160 kB/s on torrent downloads.

Are you in Bangkok? Because I just called the TOT call center and they told me 1000 baht for 2 mbit in Bangkok.

hi,

two megs lines for individuals are at 590 THB+7% tax.

switching wont improve your surf but will improve your download if bandwith is available.

:D

Where are you both located though, I jsut spoke witha rep on the phone and he said the 2mb B590 promotion was in the provinces only - I'm in Bangkok :o

They said I would pay B1000 for 2mb, it's a holiday today so no action or news of any promotions at my local Ban Kae office, it seems I'm not very lucky today!

Anybody else got a 2mb TOT line for B590 in Bangkok??

I have TOT 2mB - at first it was terrible but that was due to the local infrastructure in my area. But now its great ( I hope I am not talking too soon ) and I regularly get 160 - 190 kb/s downloads. For me its worth 1000 a month as I use it at least 10 hours a day.

Yeah it'll be worth it for me too, I'm using the internet 24 hours a day, I haven't turned my notebook off since the last blackout many months ago :o

I'm hoping that I'll get a similar download speed to that too, was actually hoping for a bit more than 190 though, I currently get about 105kb/s DL, I foolishly thought I'd get double...

Yes, it's 1,000 baht for the 2Mb in Bangkok. The price in the provinces is different because the same speeds as in most parts of Bangkok can never be reached.

Here in Bangkok I get full speed (225Kbs) with Rapidshare Premium most of the day, even at night. Don't always blame your ISP if you cannot get double the speeds,

not all servers/connections out there are capable of delivering the maximum to your computer.

Edited by sniffdog

Hi

My local TOT office is Krabi. The promption for 2Mb @ 590bt ended last month :D The promotional offer that came with the phone bill did seem to indicate it was only for new subscribers with free modem and some additional software. But my Missis whent to the office anyway and got the 2mb deal though non of the freebies. :D

My missis tells me you might still be eligable but have to go to the office to register for it, she also says that not all provinves have the same deals (TIT) though I'm not sure how she knows this :o

I would reccomend that going to the TOT office in person is the best option, you have to anyway to register - again.

:D

IF you already have TOT 1 meg and want to upgrade, what exactly do you do? I know. go to the office. But do you need to bring in your current TOT modem? What exactly is the process? Is it seamless other than the business contract part of it, or do you or a technician have to physically do something to your modem?

Edited by Jingthing

IF you already have TOT 1 meg and want to upgrade, what exactly do you do? I know. go to the office. But do you need to bring in your current TOT modem? What exactly is the process? Is it seamless other than the business contract part of it, or do you or a technician have to physically do something to your modem?

I had to do nothing exept change my username from @Bestcyber to @Goldcyber, used the same modem.

The Missis phoned me from the TOT office told me to change to Goldcyber and that I should get the extra speed by that evening. As it happens the speed increased within an hour - Good service from TOT. :D

I had to do nothing exept change my username from @Bestcyber to @Goldcyber, used the same modem.

The Missis phoned me from the TOT office told me to change to Goldcyber and that I should get the extra speed by that evening. As it happens the speed increased within an hour - Good service from TOT. :D

Thanks for that, but honestly I wouldn't know how to do even what you described, change username. Could you perhaps explain the steps as if you are speaking to a 10 year old? I haven't accessed my current username for years ...

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for that, but honestly I wouldn't know how to do even what you described, change username. Could you perhaps explain the steps as if you are speaking to a 10 year old? I haven't accessed my current username for years ...

1. You go to the office (take an old phone bill with you)

2. Request an upgrade to 2mb; verify the monthly charge

3. At the office, they will have you fill out a new form, requesting the change in service

4. They will give you a new user name (or ID) (your old user name was your phone number +"@bestcyber"; your new user name will be your phone number + "@goldcyber"

5. Your password is your phone number

6. By the time you get home, you should be able to connect to the internet at 2mb, using your new user name as follows....

• You should have an icon on your desktop that reads "Access Runner DSL." Click the icon.
  • This will bring up a window that has a box for your user name and password.
  • Make the change to your new password.
  • Click "dial" at the bottom

You should be connected at 2mb!

Edited by toptuan

I was told on the phone yesterday that the upgrade would take up to 3 days!! And would e done remotely, I would have to do nothing and I would get a phone call once it was complete!

I think you was lucky Daffy D, maybe something to do with that 'provinces' thing :o

I await my upgrade, I will post the reults here incase anybody needs up to date figures...

OK, thanks very much for that. I hope many others also found that useful.

In my case, I have no such icon: Access Runner DSL. Maybe I did on a previous computer, but not my current one. If I don't have that icon, can I get that without having a technician visit?

How about taking the 1.5mb option? I have this with TOT in Chiang Mai for less than B800 (can't remember exactly!) and get downloads consistently around 160k - this seems to me to be a good speed/cost compromise...

That does sound like a reasonable medium JimShortz, I'll wait and see what my 2mb will be like and report back, if I'm only getting around 160kb/swith the 2mb package I'll downgrade if possible, however, if I get closer to 180-190 then I don't mind paying the extra B200 per month for the extra 20-30kb/s :o

Hi "Jingthing" - I have a Xavi X7822r Modem so if yours is different the following may not apply but generally should work

Open your browser (IE or Firefox) at the top where it normally has "http://www. thaivisa.com" Type in 192.168.1.1 - Enter.

This will bring up the modem Management page.

Click on "Connection Settings" If you you are asked for password its - admin - TOT

post-35075-1224834389_thumb.jpg

Click on "Edit"

Under PPP options change user name XXXXXXX@Goldcyber (XXXXXXXX is your phone number and password))

Then click on "Apply this Service"

post-35075-1224834377_thumb.jpg

Next under Maintenance (window on the left) click "save" other wise you will lose the new setting when you restart.

Enjoy :o

Ops! - Missis gone out and the kid was crying so could not post any faster :-(

Edited by Daffy D

Hi "Jingthing" - I have a Xavi X7822r Modem so if yours is different the following may not apply but generally should work

Open your browser (IE or Firefox) at the top where it normally has "http://www. thaivisa.com" Type in 192.168.1.1 - Enter.

This will bring up the modem Management page.

Click on "Connection Settings" If you you are asked for password its - admin - TOT

post-35075-1224834389_thumb.jpg

Click on "Edit"

Under PPP options change user name XXXXXXX@Goldcyber (XXXXXXXX is your phone number and password))

Then click on "Apply this Service"

post-35075-1224834377_thumb.jpg

Next under Maintenance (window on the left) click "save" other wise you will lose the new setting when you restart.

Enjoy :o

Thank you so much! I was able to access that TOT page with the address you supplied. Oh, boy, upgraded speeds here I come ...

I pay 790 per month here in Surin for 2meg TOT and its well worth it IMHO

Dave

That's an odd price Dave, it's usually B590 for 1mb or B1000 for 2mb, you sure that's TOT?

Positive. I go pay the bill in TOT office, Surin every month.

Dave

Nice one, that must be another perk of living in the province :o

• 2 months later...

I got the 2 Meg upgrade from TOT in Udon Thani for 590 baht, it is way faster but I cannot push it past 160 on torrents so it seems it is capped, i've heard others say the same, that being said it makes a huge difference I can now actually be bothered to watch live UK football streaming, works very well with very few stalls and also all the utube vids and the like do not stall so it has opened up quite a few new ways to waste my life heh!

I have had in the past problems with connections, some things to try:

Get your line checked by your providers engineers

Ask for a new number or new line even

If it is only bad when it rains check for leaky junction boxes

If it goes bad at similar times, check for any power usage around that time, like showers being used or aircon on, dodgy electrics can really scramble a phone connection.

If it only effects torrents make sure you have encryption enabled in your client.

Good luck and happy surfing,

Mozzi

Thanks to Thaivisa,I went today in Ban Amphur ToT office .to upgrade from 256 k ADSL to 2 M at promotional price

2 years ago I went from 1M>256 k as the real speed was even faster.TiT.So now for 100bahts/month more I go 7 time faster (theorically :o )

After 1/2 day use I see

-faster surfing

-Torrent as bad as usual ;down actually 6 KB/s (from 17 to 0 usually) .Upload...better 7>10 KB/s ;previously 0>7 KB/s.

As suggested by Mozzi ,I have encryption enabled in my client.No change.

Will have to call ToT engineer on monday.