True A.i.s. D.t.a.c. & E D G E Sim Cards

GungaDin

I have all 3 sim cards now.

I can use a 3110c or a 6120c to connect to the Internet via EDGE / GPRS.

What company gets your vote in the scrub outside BKK?

gd

I use both AIS and Dtac here in Loei province. Dtac has been much better than AIS for the past month or so. Hopefully AIS will fix whatever their problem is but I'm not holding my breath. Sometime back True sent me a free SIM card but at that time True had no signal at all. Maybe their coverage is better now, I don't know.

Forget about True, even in Bangkok it's mostly GPRS only (no Edge), and although I have reception here just outside Pattaya, it won't even do regular GPRS, only phone calls!

The best is as Gary describes, use both AIS and dtac, normally one or the other will be working good.

My main usage is on AIS, which in my area is quite a bit faster then Dtac. It's also less stable with more downtime, hence my Dtac sim is always standby. More stable but slower (again, in my area, differs depending where you are..)

When you connect to the Internet with GPRS through your phone, the phone will automatically use EDGE if the phone is capable and the EDGE service is available. Both my Nokia and the older Samsung show an "E" (for EDGE) on the screen when connected through GPRS. I think EDGE is about 4 times faster than standard GPRS.

I have all 3 sim cards now.

I can use a 3110c or a 6120c to connect to the Internet via EDGE / GPRS.

What company gets your vote in the scrub outside BKK?

gd

I'd cross TrueMove off the mobile data list as they only offer GPRS and are very over-subscribed owing to a lack of infrastructure and too many promotions (voice and data).

Other than that AIS/One-2-Call have 100% EDGE coverage (actually means 100% of their base-stations) while DTAC has EDGE coverage in many, but not all, locations. It's really a huge crap-shoot as data services come after voice so one minute you'll have a decent data connection then a lot of voice calls get originated/terminated and you'll slow down. Add to that the fact that you're riding on private internal data networks and your "mileage" will vary greatly. Try using your cards and report back on your experiences.

I've been using One-2-Call EDGE for nearly 4 years and am relatively happy with it. I seem to get decent performance most times in a variety of locations (south, east, north, northeast).