Bag Snatchers

miltonbentley

I know this has always gone on but Mrs MB and I has a rather unpleasant experience on the way home this evening. We were in a tuk tuk and two young lads on a bike tried to grab her hand bag. We were moving at the time not stuck at lights.

Luckily they had not counted on Mrs MB's strong right arm and she managed to hold on to it. It helped that it was looped on her arm.

It was a reminder that there are some chancers out there so keep your belongings to the inside of tuk tuks and out of harms way. Be especially careful on motorbikes - we saw a terrible incident last year on the Tuskers soi when one poor young Thai lady was pulled at some speed from her bike and badly hurt by people after her bag.

I know this has always gone on but Mrs MB and I has a rather unpleasant experience on the way home this evening. We were in a tuk tuk and two young lads on a bike tried to grab her hand bag. We were moving at the time not stuck at lights.

Luckily they had not counted on Mrs MB's strong right arm and she managed to hold on to it. It helped that it was looped on her arm.

It was a reminder that there are some chancers out there so keep your belongings to the inside of tuk tuks and out of harms way. Be especially careful on motorbikes - we saw a terrible incident last year on the Tuskers soi when one poor young Thai lady was pulled at some speed from her bike and badly hurt by people after her bag.

That kind of thing simply doesn't happen in the glens :o . Welcome back!

That sucks, MB. Glad the new missus (Hi, Rachel!) is OK after this traumatic experience.

Maybe we could get Blinky to dress up in drag on his next visit (not too hard to do, I understand) and have him troll up and down CK road in a tuk-tuk, prominently displaying a large LV handbag...... :D:o

Crikey, you guys have been in the wars with this type of scum.

Would have been nice to read the thread title as 'Bag snatchers decapitated by tuk tuk after being yanked off motorsai by irate farang lady' :o

All the best.

We are glad that both of you are all right. Stuff like this happens all over the world but we hate to see it in our own community and to our friends.

ALSO: A German friend of mine had her bicycle stolen on Huay Gaew Road not far from Central just three days ago in front of a popular cafe. It was locked to a tree and the robber cut it off and rode off with it while they were eating. Coming back outside, they found just a helmet and cut cable lying on the sidewalk. So like carrying your bag on the inside, keep your bicycle in your sight and watch it if you have to leave it, or have a friend watch it.

Sorry to hear that :o . You would both probably be quite unsettled by such an event.

You don't suppose you might have been targetted, do you ?

Some time ago, someone who works nearby had her handbag taken when going home from work, late at night. She had taken the money for her rent from the bank earlier that day (rent provided by a foreigner, with whom she was walking and arguing in a soi and the story is a little complex; a scam is not impossible but she appeared very shaken the next day).

The type of handbag currently in fashion is not easily looped close to the body. However, if someone really wants your bag, it might be best to surrender it in some circumstances. I was once robbed in the Paris Metro (after going to AmEx to take money for the week) by someone who simply slashed the strap to separate it from the bag and ran off with the loot. You don't want to fight a desperate person with a knife.

Take care. Times are tough and unfortunately, there's a likelihood of such events occurring more often.

Just recounted this to the wife (who always keeps the bag between us when we are in a tuk tuk) and she said the other thing she is careful about is any necklace she is wearing because the back of the tuk tuk is open and it is easy for someone to snatch the necklace when the tuk tuk is stopped in traffic. Never knew she was so aware / awake!

Sorry to hear that :D . You would both probably be quite unsettled by such an event.

You don't suppose you might have been targetted, do you ?

Some time ago, someone who works nearby had her handbag taken when going home from work, late at night. She had taken the money for her rent from the bank earlier that day (rent provided by a foreigner, with whom she was walking and arguing in a soi and the story is a little complex; a scam is not impossible but she appeared very shaken the next day).

The type of handbag currently in fashion is not easily looped close to the body. However, if someone really wants your bag, it might be best to surrender it in some circumstances. I was once robbed in the Paris Metro (after going to AmEx to take money for the week) by someone who simply slashed the strap to separate it from the bag and ran off with the loot. You don't want to fight a desperate person with a knife.

Take care. Times are tough and unfortunately, there's a likelihood of such events occurring more often.

I agree times are tough, especially with the £ tanking!

Carry pepper spray, a decoy wallet or a razzler dazzler to shine at them :D.

Or all three! :o