Australian Dollar

it does hurt so far i have lost with the dollar going down and the crash in the market about 6 million bht. but im not selling my stocks it will come back .

cheers.

Ouch! that would hurt....i hope your stocks do come back mate! and i will pray every night for the old mighty aussie dollar to recover.

andy

it does hurt so far i have lost with the dollar going down and the crash in the market about 6 million bht. but im not selling my stocks it will come back .

cheers.

As long as you are well diversified your stocks should come back my friend, however with the world headed into a prolonged period of deflation (and given the fact that the aussie dollar is tied to commodities) the aussie dollar may still head down a bit further and may stay there for a while. GLTY to you on those equities though!

cheers.

As long as you are well diversified your stocks should come back my friend, however with the world headed into a prolonged period of deflation (and given the fact that the aussie dollar is tied to commodities) the aussie dollar may still head down a bit further and may stay there for a while. GLTY to you on those equities though!

sure! it's only a matter of time till stocks come back. shall we meet for a beer (or two) in a dozen (or so) years and celebrate the come-back? :o

yes thanks for the goodluck on equities . i remember when the 2 planes flew into the towers in the US the market fell 35% i was about 5 million down then as well, i put up with it for 18 months, the market came back for 4 years after that and gave me a return of 22% each year . i think we are getting close to the bottom, hence me spending about 40 thousand ausie last night on good blue chip stocks .

cheers,

"stocks come back"

investors who e.g. bought the Nikkei are waiting since 19 (NINETEEN) years that their stocks come back to 39,500. the Nikkei is now @ 7,649 and that means they (or most probably their great-grand-children) have to wait just a bit longer till their "stocks come back". the DOW of course is different. 9 (NINE) years and "only" a loss of 30%. that's peanuts, isn't it? the Tchermanns who invested in the DAX have a slightly bigger problem as they are down in 9 years around 45%. naturally all clever investors sold when the stocks were high and bought, respectively are buying now, when the stock are down... so they claim as there are no stupid investors who watch the stocks like a rat a cobra :o

yes thanks for the goodluck on equities . i remember when the 2 planes flew into the towers in the US the market fell 35% i was about 5 million down then as well, i put up with it for 18 months, the market came back for 4 years after that and gave me a return of 22% each year . i think we are getting close to the bottom, hence me spending about 40 thousand ausie last night on good blue chip stocks .

cheers,

G-day Kangeroo, Don't mind Naam he is just bitter that the Euro is taking such a beating :o The next few weeks will be a great time to put sidelined cash to work, I have never seen so many good solid companies selling at such a discount! This whole hedge fund forced liquidation really does have a silver lining, I put nearly 80K U.S. in a couple of gold mining stocks this morning as a hedge against some existing investments that have been working out very nice for me during this downturn, and I will be putting together a more broadbased portfolio over the coming weeks with companies like J&J, PF, Exxon, MSFT, Apple, a tobacco stock and a few others that I have on my radar screen! Congratulations on having the guts to buy in today, I think that you made the right move and you will be rewarded in 18 months time :D Cheers right back at you mate!

cheers,

G-day Kangeroo, Don't mind Naam he is just bitter that the Euro is taking such a beating :D

i am considering suicide because my portfolio shows only 29.3% USD and i bought only $2.25mm forward @ 1.34927 :D don't want to think what money i wasted changing $330k @ 1.43xx buying Tchermann-€-bunds :D i should have listened to you Vic and bought DOW "silektid shtocks" a week (or two) ago which was the right treatment for masochists :o

I put nearly 80K U.S. in a couple of gold mining stocks this morning

80k! :D it's not nice of you to flaunt your wealth Vic. have mercy! we poor retirees in Thailand might get envious :o

My personal wealth pales in comparison to yours oh mighty Klingon :D

With A$ crashing, I am still being paid in JPY.

In July it was 105Y, now 58Y.

My salary almost doubled, pity I have nobody to spend the money on in Oz.

This must be the feeling (if one can actually feel it): dying rich and rendering all the money useless.

Or should I buy some stocks? It took Wall Street only 17 years to recover from 1987 crash. I would probably be alive when it happens again, unless they postpone the orgasm for additional 2 decades or realize the capitalism is dead and adopt the Chinese system?

Why are there no buyers on Wall Street today? Where are their "long term" bullshits gone?

Edited by think_too_mut

In July it was 105Y, now 59Y.

This must be the feeling (if one can actually feel it): dying rich and rendering all the money useless.

Or should I buy some stocks? It took Wall Street only 17 years to recover from 1987 crash. I would probably be alive when it happens again, unless they postpone the orgasm for additional 2 decades or realize the capitalism is dead and adopt the Chinese system?

Why are there no buyers on Wall Street today? Where are their "long term" bullshits gone?

"It took Wall Street only 17 years to recover from 1987 crash" Very interesting :o , what other history would you like to rewrite while you are at it, perhaps the Jappanes really were victorious in WW2? As I recall it took Wall Street about two weeks to recover in 1987, I was a trader back then and made a killing in the weeks following the crash :D Sorry to hear about you lonely situation there in OZ, I am sure that if you were willing to share some of that money with your financially troubled countryman expats in the LOS they would be glad to find you some female companionship :D

"stocks come back"

investors who e.g. bought the Nikkei are waiting since 19 (NINETEEN) years that their stocks come back to 39,500. the Nikkei is now @ 7,649 and that means they (or most probably their great-grand-children) have to wait just a bit longer till their "stocks come back". the DOW of course is different. 9 (NINE) years and "only" a loss of 30%. that's peanuts, isn't it? the Tchermanns who invested in the DAX have a slightly bigger problem as they are down in 9 years around 45%. naturally all clever investors sold when the stocks were high and bought, respectively are buying now, when the stock are down... so they claim as there are no stupid investors who watch the stocks like a rat a cobra :o

Again, I agree with Naam. The comeback on this one will take a while.

I put nearly 80K U.S. in a couple of gold mining stocks this morning

80k! :D it's not nice of you to flaunt your wealth Vic. have mercy! we poor retirees in Thailand might get envious :o

My personal wealth pales in comparison to yours oh mighty Klingon :D

if that is the case you have a bunch of years left to make up (i suppose). i don't :D

"It took Wall Street only 17 years to recover from 1987 crash" Very interesting :o , what other history would you like to rewrite while you are at it, perhaps the Jappanes really were victorious in WW2? As I recall it took Wall Street about two weeks to recover in 1987, I was a trader back then and made a killing in the weeks following the crash :D Sorry to hear about you lonely situation there in OZ, I am sure that if you were willing to share some of that money with your financially troubled countryman expats in the LOS they would be glad to find you some female companionship :D

of course they were! didn't the the Japanese nuke L.A. and Frisco thereby forcing President Nixon (who was forced to resign later because of his cowardly behaviour) to surrender unconditionally? :D

I read that in The Economist, can't search for the article, look it up yourself. Those complicated indexes were discussed in there.

Robert Gottliebsen (The Australian Financial Review) said that between 2 peaks at Wall Street (2000. and 2007.) the gains were only 6% (for all 7 years together, not for 1 year).

As for Japanese: tell them to keep on paying well and say hello to some of JP girls I had pleasure to meet over years.

As for sharing money - the condo that was 78K A$ in July, is now 140K A$ - propelled Thai economy on the cheap, that should be enough.

of course they were! didn't the the Japanese nuke L.A. and Frisco thereby forcing President Nixon (who was forced to resign later because of his cowardly behaviour) to surrender unconditionally? :D

Naam, That sounds just like one of Hunter S. Thompsons acid trips :D

In July it was 105Y, now 58Y.

It did take wall street a while to come back ,but not 17 years , and as far as people investing in US blue chip stocks there are plenty of them as well . ok i probably will have egg om my face for a while but the 87 crash + fall of soviet union + september 11 hench war on iraq, market rebounds where 20_ 30 % not to mention the tax savings brought on by the crash . i think this sub prime crash is bought on by fear and soon we will all get used to it and the market will go up . i remember iraq that was a crisis for 2 years , and you know something people are still getting killed . but where all moving on .

cheers.

sure! it's only a matter of time till stocks come back. shall we meet for a beer (or two) in a dozen (or so) years and celebrate the come-back? :o

doctor, dont forget you already have a previous appointment at 2030 with our friend who was meeting with you to celebrate his australian property doubling in value every 10 years.

wasnt sure if you meant eight thirty in the evening or the year 2030, no doubt our friend will get back to confirm, he may however be delayed to about 2050.

I read that in The Economist, can't search for the article, look it up yourself. Those complicated indexes were discussed in there.

Robert Gottliebsen (The Australian Financial Review) said that between 2 peaks at Wall Street (2000. and 2007.) the gains were only 6% (for all 7 years together, not for 1 year).

As for Japanese: tell them to keep on paying well and say hello to some of JP girls I had pleasure to meet over years.

As for sharing money - the condo that was 78K A$ in July, is now 140K A$ - propelled Thai economy on the cheap, that should be enough.

Here is the truth my friend, the overall market had an irrational exeuberance leading up to its highs in August 1987 and the tumble started, from those lofty highs in August 1987 the DOW did not set a new high for about another 1 1/2 years (not 17 years as you proposed or perhaps you meant 1.7 years?) The market recovered from what people called the October crash of black monday within a few weeks (it actually recovered most in the next day or two) and the DOW actually ended 1987 higher than it began it. When I said the DOW recovered within weeks I was talking about the black monday crash itself, however as I have said even though the DOW was overinflated when it hit its highs in August 1987 it made new highs a little more than 1 1/2 years later, not 17 years later!!! Now since you obviously have a computer, I would suggest that you use it and do a litttle research before you post outrageous falsehoods again :D Anybody buying a consevative basket of stocks today may not double their money 18 months from now but they will likely make 50% + returns :D

@'VegasVic'

Here is the truth my friend, the overall market had an irrational exeuberance leading up to its highs in August 1987 and the tumble started, from those lofty highs in August 1987 the DOW did not set a new high for about another 1 1/2 years (not 17 years as you proposed or perhaps you meant 1.7 years?) The market recovered from what people called the October crash of black monday within a few weeks (it actually recovered most in the next day or two) and the DOW actually ended 1987 higher than it began it. When I said the DOW recovered within weeks I was talking about the black monday crash itself, however as I have said even though the DOW was overinflated when it hit its highs in August 1987 it made new highs a little more than 1 1/2 years later, not 17 years later!!! Now since you obviously have a computer, I would suggest that you use it and do a litttle research before you post outrageous falsehoods again :o Anybody buying a consevative basket of stocks today may not double their money 18 months from now but they will likely make 50% + returns :D

This needs a little more analysis. Presumably, you are referring to the raw index and is not the inflation adjusted. Some previous house price and market collapses in the UK were followed by rampant inflation which meant that nominal prices recovered but real prices did not.

The stock market indices are designed to go up not down. Poorly performing companies are removed and fast growing good performing companies are added.

The net effect is that the index goes up but unless your holding exactly matches the index, the value of your particular stocks may decline or even evaporate.

So your advice to buy a 'conservative basket of stocks today' may require very good luck in picking the right conservative stocks.

6.65% tax free offshore does me OK for the moment.

@'VegasVic'

Here is the truth my friend, the overall market had an irrational exeuberance leading up to its highs in August 1987 and the tumble started, from those lofty highs in August 1987 the DOW did not set a new high for about another 1 1/2 years (not 17 years as you proposed or perhaps you meant 1.7 years?) The market recovered from what people called the October crash of black monday within a few weeks (it actually recovered most in the next day or two) and the DOW actually ended 1987 higher than it began it. When I said the DOW recovered within weeks I was talking about the black monday crash itself, however as I have said even though the DOW was overinflated when it hit its highs in August 1987 it made new highs a little more than 1 1/2 years later, not 17 years later!!! Now since you obviously have a computer, I would suggest that you use it and do a litttle research before you post outrageous falsehoods again :o Anybody buying a consevative basket of stocks today may not double their money 18 months from now but they will likely make 50% + returns :D

This needs a little more analysis. Presumably, you are referring to the raw index and is not the inflation adjusted. Some previous house price and market collapses in the UK were followed by rampant inflation which meant that nominal prices recovered but real prices did not.

The stock market indices are designed to go up not down. Poorly performing companies are removed and fast growing good performing companies are added.

The net effect is that the index goes up but unless your holding exactly matches the index, the value of your particular stocks may decline or even evaporate.

So your advice to buy a 'conservative basket of stocks today' may require very good luck in picking the right conservative stocks.

OK, but by what metric did it take anywhere near to 17 years for the markets to reach their 1987 peaks again after the crash? If you don't like the DJIA, take a more broad index such as the S&P500 or the Wilshire 5000 if you want. If neither of those make your point, try adjusting them for inflation to see if that makes the claim work. If that falls short, try additionally adjusting those stock market indices for changes in the dollar index. And now that none of that has made the 17 year claim sound any less silly, let's try restating the stock market indices in terms of the price of gold, or the Zimbabwa dollar -- there's bound to be some way to make it sound reasonable...

@'VegasVic'

Here is the truth my friend, the overall market had an irrational exeuberance leading up to its highs in August 1987 and the tumble started, from those lofty highs in August 1987 the DOW did not set a new high for about another 1 1/2 years (not 17 years as you proposed or perhaps you meant 1.7 years?) The market recovered from what people called the October crash of black monday within a few weeks (it actually recovered most in the next day or two) and the DOW actually ended 1987 higher than it began it. When I said the DOW recovered within weeks I was talking about the black monday crash itself, however as I have said even though the DOW was overinflated when it hit its highs in August 1987 it made new highs a little more than 1 1/2 years later, not 17 years later!!! Now since you obviously have a computer, I would suggest that you use it and do a litttle research before you post outrageous falsehoods again :D Anybody buying a consevative basket of stocks today may not double their money 18 months from now but they will likely make 50% + returns :D

OK, but by what metric did it take anywhere near to 17 years for the markets to reach their 1987 peaks again after the crash? If you don't like the DJIA, take a more broad index such as the S&P500 or the Wilshire 5000 if you want. If neither of those make your point, try adjusting them for inflation to see if that makes the claim work. If that falls short, try additionally adjusting those stock market indices for changes in the dollar index. And now that none of that has made the 17 year claim sound any less silly, let's try restating the stock market indices in terms of the price of gold, or the Zimbabwa dollar -- there's bound to be some way to make it sound reasonable...

You are confusing me with the great Naam. :o He mentioned the 19 year wait so far for the Nikkei to rebound to 39,500 I made no claims about 17 years. I just pointed out that inflation needs to be accounted for.

In my opinion the final result of all these government bail outs will eventually be another bout of high inflation to pay for it, but that is another topic.

Here is an interesting chart from Dogs of Dow. Somehow."Dow up to 1000" doesn't have the same ring to it as up to 14,000.

The following Dow chart compares the Dow (1900 - Present) to an inflation-adjusted Dow (1925 - Present). Click here for many more insightful Dow charts

dow-1925cpi-log.gif

Point of Interest - To better demonstrate the true magnitude of the great bull and bear markets of the last century, it is necessary to adjust the Dow Jones Industrial Average for inflation. What the CPI (Consumer Price Index) adjusted Dow chart shows is that the 1966 to 1982 bear market was almost as severe as that of the early 1930s. And since 1982, a true and great bull market has ensued (even when adjusted for inflation).

You are confusing me with the great Naam. :o He mentioned the 19 year wait so far for the Nikkei to rebound to 39,500 I made no claims about 17 years. I just pointed out that inflation needs to be accounted for.

In my opinion the final result of all these government bail outs will eventually be another bout of high inflation to pay for it, but that is another topic.

The Nikkei history has been bleak whether inflation adjusted or not, there's no doubt about that. The Nikkei is presently at 7650, a level last seen in 1982, and the idea of seeing 39,500 again seems beyond fanciful.

My friend, you also have a computer.

This is what I quoted, from memory (and not 100% correctly):

Snapping investors out of their bear-market mentality takes a lot of work. The shortest of the 20th-century phases was 17 years. With luck, time will move faster in the 21st century.

The Economist October 16 2008 - Full Article

Snapping investors out of their bear-market mentality takes a lot of work. The shortest of the 20th-century phases was 17 years. With luck, time will move faster in the 21st century.

Saying that the shortest bear market of the 20th century was 17 years is different than saying that it took 17 years to recover after the 1987 crash, which was what you originally stated. The former is true if one were to classify the 1987 crash as an abrubt correction in the midst of a secular bull market rather than as the start of a bear market, which would probably be a fair way to characterize it. But the later is false not matter how you qualify it.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Saying that the shortest bear market of the 20th century was 17 years is different than it having taken 17 years to recover after the 1987 as you originally stated. The former is true if one were to classify the 1987 crash as an abrubt correction in the midst of a secular bull market rather than as the start of a bear market, which would probably be a fair way to characterize it. But the later is false not matter how you qualify it.

We are just 8 years further from the 20th century.

This "correction" now is bigger than what it has ever been in our living memory. Even Alan Greenspan looks like a floor mopping cloth these days.

No buyers at Wall Street kind of feel the same. Not 17 years to recover? Maybe 12?

But certainly longer that "2 weeks".

Saying that the shortest bear market of the 20th century was 17 years is different than it having taken 17 years to recover after the 1987 as you originally stated. The former is true if one were to classify the 1987 crash as an abrubt correction in the midst of a secular bull market rather than as the start of a bear market, which would probably be a fair way to characterize it. But the later is false not matter how you qualify it.

We are just 8 years further from the 20th century.

This "correction" now is bigger than what it has ever been in our living memory. Even Alan Greenspan looks like a floor mopping cloth these days.

No buyers at Wall Street kind of feel the same. Not 17 years to recover? Maybe 12?

But certainly longer that "2 weeks".

I suspect that it will take more that 12 years to revisit the recent highs on the DOW too, I wouldn't be shocked by 17 years either. But you said that it took 17 years to recover from the 1987 crash. That's false.

Edited by OriginalPoster