Fish That Eat Mosquito Larvae

I have a small moat aroung my house to keep scorpions and millipedes at bay and at least slow down the ants, it also doubles as a frog breeding ground which is nice and lately a mosquito breeding site which is NOT nice. I know there is a type of tiny fish one can get in Thailand that will eat mosquito larvae but no idea what they are called in Thai or where they are sold, anyone know? Thanks!

Just about everyone has a pot/pond of fish called "Pla Jet Sii" although most don't seem to be seven coloured or rainbow.

You can buy then at the fish/pet stores but it's not too difficult to find someone that has some in their garden. Half a dozen of them will soon multiply. But they eat the frog spawn too.

....what a fantastic idea!

I have a number of water plants in the garden and have been thinking about the mozzie issue - I didn't think about fish despite walking past other people's fish in pots on a regular basis !

Doh !

We've got lots of the little things, you can buy them pretty much everywhere, most of the fish you see for sale in the sweaty plastic bags will eat mozzies and yes they multiply in no time at all - almost as quickly as they disappear :o

This sign might help.

The fish that eat mosquito larvae are called Talapia. Get them everywhere I have around 1000 in my pond, come over and take a few home with you they will soon breed into hundreds.

The really good thing about them is that you can then catch the fish and eat them as well.

Pla-hang-nok-yung (fish that eat mosquitoes) is what Thais call the guppy.

Another poster mentioned that the pal jet sii (presumably tilapia?) will also eat frong spawn which if possible I'd like to avoid as I like the froggies.

Anyone know if the guppies will eat frog larvae and tadpoles??

(Koi are too large -- it's not that wiode a moat!)

Pla-hang-nok-yung (fish that eat mosquitoes) is what Thais call the guppy.

Another poster mentioned that the pal jet sii (presumably tilapia?) will also eat frong spawn which if possible I'd like to avoid as I like the froggies.

Anyone know if the guppies will eat frog larvae and tadpoles??

(Koi are too large -- it's not that wiode a moat!)

Pla Jet Sii and Pla Hang Nok Yung are the same fish so the answer is yes.

I think the Talapia are what the Thais call Pla Nin - they are pretty big fish. Tasty though!

Pla Jet Sii and Pla Hang Nok Yung are the same fish so the answer is yes.

I think the Talapia are what the Thais call Pla Nin - they are pretty big fish. Tasty though!

You are correct on both counts Talapia are Pla Nin and are indeed very tasty :o

• 7 months later...

Sheryl Guppies even fully grown couldn't tackle frog spawn. You can buy them (guppies) from almost any petshop, but surely you have some friends/neighbours who keep them. Their nickname is millions fish. Think rabbits and you'll get the idea. In the UK aquarist shops tend to keep females and males apart. A pregnant female has a dark patch on her belly near her vent. They are live bearers.

Edited by Mosha