Condo Got Bigger?!

My condo is almost finished, in that everything is done and now its juts final touch-up and fixing things to my liking before signing over.

On the weekend I was hit with an extra charge of XXk as they said the condo was 1.3sqm bigger then the original size. I said not my problem, they said yes, its in the contract where the size is approx of the orig stated size.

I said ok, show me the measurements from the land department and your orig floor plans. They said they dont have it and I wont understand.

I said <deleted>, I want to see the official land department measurements and see where that extra 1.3sqm came from.

The question for those that have experience......is this sheer <deleted>?? What are the possiblities of gaining an extra 1.3sqm area for a 45sqm condo.??? Floor plans are laid out and there is only a limited area so 1.3sqm seems a BIG mistake to make.

I asked the salesguy, are my neighbours smaller...answer no. Then where did that extra 1.3sqm come from???

Bringing in my own land department guy to do a measurement and to dig out their first measurements.

This situation has been discussed at length, earlier. The final sales price is dependent upon the final measurement of your unit. It's as simple as that. You have to pay for what you're getting, like it or not.

and yes it is common.

A lot of more reputable developers build in a marginal increase and round up, so the odds of 1.4m goes down a lot.

At the time you bought, they probably didn't know exactly how the ducting would run, etc etc so very easy to have things slightly different. On your unit title you should be able to see the EXACT size.

The version from the land office may be in Thai numbering; what they provided you is less relevant, as it says in your contract (by Thai law) that the final size is what you pay on.

Your Chanote will have he exact measurements of your unit including the total m2 area.

Your price if based on a m2 rate will be based on that as will all future charges such as sinking fund, monthly maintenance etc.

Get a copy of the Chanote from the developer and have a Thai translate it for you.

Update.

Went to the land department with a friend who works for the land department. He arranged a sit down with person incharge of the measurements for the condo development.

Looking at the measurements, the area for the ac compressors were measured as well and that came up to 1.58sqm.

The ac compressors were supposet to hang off the balcony but because of the exterior fascade of the condo, the compresors for my unit sits on the fascade and to keep the look, the developer built a fence/grill around it. This fenced area was included into the size of the condo. I pulled out the plans the condo developer gave me and it says compresor will hang from the balcony and doesnt even give any measurements for it.

So the front-middle units on the 2,4,6,8 floors all got hit with the added size. But if you do not include the added 1.58sqm from the compressors the units are all 0.27sqms smaller.

Talked to the condo sales guy and he repeated what he said last week about how the living space was bigger, and that he will get us the land department measurements (after 1 week fo waiting) and that we wont be able to understand the "complex" measurements. Then I pulled out the copy I got from the land department and said friend was from the land department and it shows the "extra living space" was the ac compressors which should not be counted.

So now waiting for a meeting with the managers of the development as I told the sales guy he was either openly lying to me or too stupid to figure out the plans. In either case, I no longer feel comfortable dealing with him.

The manager is busy as he seems to be getting alot of calls, the higher units are paying +100k for ac compressor space.

My condo is almost finished, in that everything is done and now its juts final touch-up and fixing things to my liking before signing over.

On the weekend I was hit with an extra charge of XXk as they said the condo was 1.3sqm bigger then the original size. I said not my problem, they said yes, its in the contract where the size is approx of the orig stated size.

I said ok, show me the measurements from the land department and your orig floor plans. They said they dont have it and I wont understand.

I said <deleted>, I want to see the official land department measurements and see where that extra 1.3sqm came from.

The question for those that have experience......is this sheer <deleted>?? What are the possiblities of gaining an extra 1.3sqm area for a 45sqm condo.??? Floor plans are laid out and there is only a limited area so 1.3sqm seems a BIG mistake to make.

I asked the salesguy, are my neighbours smaller...answer no. Then where did that extra 1.3sqm come from???

Bringing in my own land department guy to do a measurement and to dig out their first measurements.

where are these condos. when i clear my story with legal it will make your hair curl, the true extent of some builders tactics. watch this space.....

The condo is the Niche 49.

Was there again and no managers available. Their answer through the sales guy was its a land department thing and get the money back from the land department.

I told them BS. The land department does not get the money and not to take me for a fool. More lies and I told them, I had agood sit down with the person incharge for measuring this particular development and that he told me everything.

Problem is that some of the Thai buyers are simply paying the extra $$$ without even checking.

One ofthe sales guy bought a unit on one of the affected floors and is paying an extra 60k. I asked him if he was happy with that. He said the developers told him the land department thing (see above) and he didnt know until my wife had called him complaining.. I told him "what kind of sales guy are you??? you are supposed to check and you will be the one handling the complains and worse your own unit is affected"

Do they really think ppl will just hand over 100k for compressor space???? Closing is Nov30th. and I have a feeling they will drag it out until then and say, pay up or lose everything. I have informed them I want a resolution asap and if nothing is done by next week I will escalate it.

The question is how??????

Do they really think ppl will just hand over 100k for compressor space???? Closing is Nov30th. and I have a feeling they will drag it out until then and say, pay up or lose everything. I have informed them I want a resolution asap and if nothing is done by next week I will escalate it.

Most will as this is standard practice in Asia; in HK you even have to pay a share of the common area.

The entire balcony is yours, and is part of your title, when you come to sell you sell that as well.

The alternative would be this is a common area, and therefore the body corp would maintain it, own it and run it. In which case you would be a bit screwed when you come to sell if the body corp decided they wanted to use the space for something else, or never maintain it, or wanted/demanded access to it.

They were trying to get something for nothing by hanging the aircon over space; I am fairly sure you are not allowed to do that anymore. So either it becomes a common area (in which case it will be a total mess, as the aircon units would also have to be belonging to the body corporate OR the space subrented back to you to use) or you own it in which case you have to pay for it; there is no way to have the developer own it, as the company who develops will be wound up shortly after all transfers.

I don't see why you should get the space for free; it cost money to build and you get to sell it when you move out.

Everyone else here uses the same system.

The condo is the Niche 49.

Was there again and no managers available. Their answer through the sales guy was its a land department thing and get the money back from the land department.

I told them BS. The land department does not get the money and not to take me for a fool. More lies and I told them, I had agood sit down with the person incharge for measuring this particular development and that he told me everything.

Problem is that some of the Thai buyers are simply paying the extra $$$ without even checking.

One ofthe sales guy bought a unit on one of the affected floors and is paying an extra 60k. I asked him if he was happy with that. He said the developers told him the land department thing (see above) and he didnt know until my wife had called him complaining.. I told him "what kind of sales guy are you??? you are supposed to check and you will be the one handling the complains and worse your own unit is affected"

The question is how??????

Maybe you shouldn't have told the neighbors at first, and then gave a "friendly veiled" threat that you WILL tell the neighbors if they don't give in to you...

And then of course, still tell the neighbors afterwards. :o