Is Singapore That Expensive?

klikster

Not wanting to go OT but what is it with the yanks who run around the world telling everyone what to do but then piss their pants at the thought of squirrelling away a few $ from Uncle Sam ?

As to retirement in SG then probably not for me but I'd certainly prefer it to say Frankfurt or a number of other places I've lived in. The Malaysia option seems attractive but I'm still hung up on the muslim nutters thing and wonder if it rally is going to be all that stable going forward 20+ years.

My preferred option at the moment is a house in the missus' name but with a Bt50m or so mortgage on it to me which I leave to our daughter in my will. Add in some conditions and it sort of protects the house from anyone apart from my daughter.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not aware of any kind of retirement visa for Singapore. They want expats to work. You might consider Malaysia, similar food anyway, and they have a formal retirement visa that provides alot more security than Thailands; however the application process is more onerous.

I checked into it a little bit because I am working in Singapore now and getting to be old enough to start thinking about retirement. If you are over 50 years old, a foreign national can retire to Singapore if you are prepared to invest S$1,000,000 in the country. If you are less than 50, there's an additonal option in the sense that it's pretty easy to get an Employment Pass to work in Singapore, and after working there for awhile you can apply to become a Permananet Resident. The PR needs to be granted before you are 50 though. It looks as if once you have PR status, you could quite your job if you wanted to and still remain in Singapore without needing to in invest S$1M.

you checked a little bit but not enough. no such thing like getting a residence permit in SIN for an investment of a mere SGD 1mm. the stakes are much higher, i.e. buy for SGD 2.5 million a shitty house on Sentosa Island or have SGD 5 million blocked in a Singapore bank for five years. on top of that prove that your net worth is a minimum of 20 million Singapore Dollars :o

p.s. no such thing like minimum age and no such thing like retirement visa!

Naam... Today, at age 48, the Singaporeans granted me Permanent Residency after having worked there for 6 months for a multinational corporation and it is not contingent upon me being employed and I did not need to demonstate that I had any asset, let along a "mere" $S1mm. Fortunately you did not did not deter me from applying. I do need to reapply for a "re-entry permit" 5 years hence and it's not clear what rules the Singaporean's apply when people over age 50 apply for same, but I'm figuring that I'm going to resign from my job 3 or 4 weeks from now and that I'll probably want to move elsewhere even if the don't renew me 5 years from now anyway. I'm going out to drink some 3 Monts now...

Edited by OriginalPoster

I checked into it a little bit because I am working in Singapore now and getting to be old enough to start thinking about retirement. If you are over 50 years old, a foreign national can retire to Singapore if you are prepared to invest S$1,000,000 in the country. If you are less than 50, there's an additonal option in the sense that it's pretty easy to get an Employment Pass to work in Singapore, and after working there for awhile you can apply to become a Permananet Resident. The PR needs to be granted before you are 50 though. It looks as if once you have PR status, you could quite your job if you wanted to and still remain in Singapore without needing to in invest S$1M.

How do they feel about visa runners?

I lived there for 8 years.. For the first 3 years I just did border runs or got a 1 Month extension at immigration.. I have friends married to Singaporeans who have lived there for 10+ years doing a border run every Month.. No big deal and you can live a very pleasant lifestyle there without spending a fortune.. But if you want to live like a weathy expat in the same style to what expect in the West be prepared to spend money big time...

I'm not really sure because I have an Employment Pass right now. I think that the problem is that they normally only stamp you for 2 weeks when you arrive without a pre-arranged visa. Years ago I was visiting on a 2 week visa-on-arrival and renewed it by going across the Causeway to JB for lunch and then going back to Singapore and it didn't raise any eyebrows. However I don't know what would happen if you tried to do that 26 times per year.

How do they feel about visa runners?

I lived there for 8 years.. For the first 3 years I just did border runs or got a 1 Month extension at immigration.. I have friends married to Singaporeans who have lived there for 10+ years doing a border run every Month.. No big deal and you can live a very pleasant lifestyle there without spending a fortune.. But if you want to live like a weathy expat in the same style to what expect in the West be prepared to spend money big time...

I'm not really sure because I have an Employment Pass right now. I think that the problem is that they normally only stamp you for 2 weeks when you arrive without a pre-arranged visa. Years ago I was visiting on a 2 week visa-on-arrival and renewed it by going across the Causeway to JB for lunch and then going back to Singapore and it didn't raise any eyebrows. However I don't know what would happen if you tried to do that 26 times per year.

<deleted>? Did you add anything new to that post?

Edited by OriginalPoster

Naam... Today, at age 48, the Singaporeans granted me Permanent Residency after having worked there for 6 months for a multinational corporation and it is not contingent upon me being employed and I did not need to demonstate that I had any asset, let along a "mere" $S1mm. Fortunately you did not did not deter me from applying. I do need to reapply for a "re-entry permit" 5 years hence and it's not clear what rules the Singaporean's apply when people over age 50 apply for same, but I'm figuring that I'm going to resign from my job 3 or 4 weeks from now and that I'll probably want to move elsewhere even if the don't renew me 5 years from now anyway. I'm going out to drink some 3 Monts now...

you seem to have been very lucky OP or the rules have changed. i have an acquaintance who worked for 9½ years in Singapore and wanted to go for early retirement at age 53. when enquiring (two years ago) the authorities advised him to complete 10 years of employment to increase his chances for a residence permit without being employed. he followed the advice and obtained PR at age 54. the administrative procedure took about 4 months.

Today, at age 48, the Singaporeans granted me Permanent Residency after having worked there for 6 months for a multinational corporation and it is not contingent upon me being employed and I did not need to demonstate that I had any asset, let along a "mere" $S1mm. Fortunately you did not did not deter me from applying. I do need to reapply for a "re-entry permit" 5 years hence and it's not clear what rules the Singaporean's apply when people over age 50 apply for same, but I'm figuring that I'm going to resign from my job 3 or 4 weeks from now and that I'll probably want to move elsewhere even if the don't renew me 5 years from now anyway. I'm going out to drink some 3 Monts now...

Many congratulations - though I'm not sure why you would want PR if it is your intention to move elsewhere - as now you'll be paying into CPF.

Not everything is clear and in black in white with Singapore PR. Some things they will not say but a blog from one of the Ministers there is rather interesting.

http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/08/wp...-residency.html

Page down to the statistics for those granted PR during 2006. Add up the figures for nationalities. They've split up Asian and South-East Asian nationalities, but if you add them together you'll find that just over 93 percent of granted PRs in 2006 were of an Asian nationality. A mere 7 percent for "Others". You may draw your own conclusions.

Today, at age 48, the Singaporeans granted me Permanent Residency after having worked there for 6 months for a multinational corporation and it is not contingent upon me being employed and I did not need to demonstate that I had any asset, let along a "mere" $S1mm. Fortunately you did not did not deter me from applying. I do need to reapply for a "re-entry permit" 5 years hence and it's not clear what rules the Singaporean's apply when people over age 50 apply for same, but I'm figuring that I'm going to resign from my job 3 or 4 weeks from now and that I'll probably want to move elsewhere even if the don't renew me 5 years from now anyway. I'm going out to drink some 3 Monts now...

Many congratulations - though I'm not sure why you would want PR if it is your intention to move elsewhere - as now you'll be paying into CPF.

Don't know for sure that I'd be moving elsewhere, I think that I'll be content to stay in Singapore. The CPF money doens't concern me though; you get that back at some point, both what you contibute and together with the amount that your employer had to contibute.

you seem to have been very lucky OP or the rules have changed. i have an acquaintance who worked for 9½ years in Singapore and wanted to go for early retirement at age 53. when enquiring (two years ago) the authorities advised him to complete 10 years of employment to increase his chances for a residence permit without being employed. he followed the advice and obtained PR at age 54. the administrative procedure took about 4 months.

Your friend's problem might have been because he was on the wrong side of 50 when first applying for the PR. Usually they want working professionals to apply for the PR before age 50.

I've heard tales of other expats who got their PR after 6 months service but apparently the odds of approval go up the longer that you have worked here. In my case, I had worked in Singapore a few years ago for another company, they might have counted that employment stint when considering my application as well. The real test I suppose is what happens 5 years from now when I need to get the re-entry permit renewed. They state in writing that they might turn down such applications if you haven't been continuously employed for the prior three 3 years but Immigration officials do seem to be allowed to exercrise discretion. In a recent letter to the editor in the Straits Times a long term expat & PR who was in his 60's asked that specific question (whether his reentry permit would be reneweed in his retirement) and the answer from an ICA official was along the lines that his application would most probably be considered favorably given his longterm contributions to Singapore. However it was phrased in reassuring sounding but a non-commital way so that it couldn't be taken to be a statement of policy. Being in my early 50's when I need renewal and with an shorter track record of working in Singapore, my case would be less clearcut than that gentleman's case. Of course maybe too I will change my mind and actually be working at the time that I need renewal, a lot of things can change over a 5 year period.

It woudl appear that the cost of living there makes Thailand look pretty good. I think Malayasia might be good in between. I understand English is widely used there even I have never really mastered the language myself.

If I could get a PR in Thailand I would be one happy camper. Can't qaulify without a work permit and employment taxes paid in for number of years. So I will stick to my annual vists to immigrations. Not that bad.

Page down to the statistics for those granted PR during 2006. Add up the figures for nationalities. They've split up Asian and South-East Asian nationalities, but if you add them together you'll find that just over 93 percent of granted PRs in 2006 were of an Asian nationality. A mere 7 percent for "Others". You may draw your own conclusions.

Fair point although there are a lot more Asians in Singapore, and they can apply for PR after however many years it is to "qualify" - in my office we have a couple of Filipino / Filipina workers who don't earn all that much (less than the Europeans and barely any more than the locals) who are PR's

I wonder if the % of successful applications from western applicants would be any higher or lower than that of Asian applicants, as opposed to just the base numbers themselves...

CC

Your friend's problem might have been because he was on the wrong side of 50 when first applying for the PR. Usually they want working professionals to apply for the PR before age 50.

I've heard tales of other expats who got their PR after 6 months service but apparently the odds of approval go up the longer that you have worked here. In my case, I had worked in Singapore a few years ago for another company, they might have counted that employment stint when considering my application as well.

The real test I suppose is what happens 5 years from now when I need to get the re-entry permit renewed. They state in writing that they might turn down such applications if you haven't been continuously employed for the prior three 3 years

but Immigration officials do seem to be allowed to exercrise discretion. In a recent letter to the editor in the Straits Times a long term expat & PR who was in his 60's asked that specific question (whether his reentry permit would be reneweed in his retirement) and the answer from an ICA official was along the lines that his application would most probably be considered favorably given his longterm contributions to Singapore. However it was phrased in reassuring sounding but a non-commital way so that it couldn't be taken to be a statement of policy. Being in my early 50's when I need renewal and with an shorter track record of working in Singapore, my case would be less clearcut than that gentleman's case. Of course maybe too I will change my mind and actually be working at the time that I need renewal, a lot of things can change over a 5 year period.

here we go! my acquaintance applied for PR based on his wish to retire in Singapore without the obligation of taking up any employment. after talking to him yesterday it turned out that the timeframe i mentioned was wrong. he was advised to add another 6 months to his 14½ years of employment in Singapore.

I've heard tales of other expats who got their PR after 6 months service but apparently the odds of approval go up the longer that you have worked here. In my case, I had worked in Singapore a few years ago for another company, they might have counted that employment stint when considering my application as well.

The real test I suppose is what happens 5 years from now when I need to get the re-entry permit renewed. They state in writing that they might turn down such applications if you haven't been continuously employed for the prior three 3 years

but Immigration officials do seem to be allowed to exercrise discretion. In a recent letter to the editor in the Straits Times a long term expat & PR who was in his 60's asked that specific question (whether his reentry permit would be reneweed in his retirement) and the answer from an ICA official was along the lines that his application would most probably be considered favorably given his longterm contributions to Singapore. However it was phrased in reassuring sounding but a non-commital way so that it couldn't be taken to be a statement of policy. Being in my early 50's when I need renewal and with an shorter track record of working in Singapore, my case would be less clearcut than that gentleman's case. Of course maybe too I will change my mind and actually be working at the time that I need renewal, a lot of things can change over a 5 year period.

here we go! my acquaintance applied for PR based on his wish to retire in Singapore without the obligation of taking up any employment. after talking to him yesterday it turned out that the timeframe i mentioned was wrong. he was advised to add another 6 months to his 14½ years of employment in Singapore.

At least he's getting Immigration to be specific about what is required of him, I found them to be pretty vague about what the rules are for people over 50. There is a subtle but significant difference in your friends case though in that he does not already have the PR, it's not just an issue of renewing the re-entry permit that is associated with the PR. Still, even in the worst case I get 5 years of residency here; in Thailand, isn't it only one-year that you get, rewable as long each of the governments that comes in after a future coup decides that they want to continue the policy?

Edited by OriginalPoster

• 6 months later...
So, putting numbers to make it easier to compare with Thailand, How much would one expect to spend in Singapore, to live the same lifestyle of a ~70k baht/month in Thailand (BKK)? I would assume at least twice as much?

70,000THB! Wow, that is nuts. I know I was able to live on 2,400thb/mo for accomodation in Bangkok.

And I thought I was stupid and spending too much because I was near Khaosan Road, at Mamasan's Guest House where lots of Japanese people go to. Considering I only made 100,000THB a month, and I don't think it was that much last year, I figured I needed to budget. This year is worse for me. I am only making a piddly 50,000THB a year, which is half of what I made last year. This is terrible for a 32 year old.

Edited by Umpatan

I have a page or two about Singapore on a website .. writing about it favorably as a possible place for retirement. I realize it is not Thailand or Laos, or ..

But for city people who want the kind of lifestyle, that Singapore offers, it would seem to be a reasonable place.

Not too long ago, an Irish chap took severe exception to my even suggesting Singapore was priced reasonably enough for mortals or anyone " .. other than a Sterling millionaire."

Of course, he was also trying to peddle "fully legal" houses in Phuket based on "legal because his law firm said so" 30+30+30 leases and land owned by "companies registered offshore".

But is Singapore strictly for richies?

I believe that if you want to live comfortably in Singapore, you have to be rich. Things in Singaproe is getting more and more expensive. Especially housing. As Singapore is a small country with limited land, so housing is getting very very expensive. Unless, you have a good paying job or a lot of cash, Singapore is a place where things are more expensive compared to other countries like Malaysia, Thailand or Philippines.

I think most people's perceptions of Singapore are shaped heavily by visiting the city area ... Orchard Road (particularly on this forum as the Thai embassy happens to be there) - Suntec - Boat Quay - Sentosa etc ...

Try going out to, say, Woodlands, and a different, far cheaper version of Singapore emerges. I still wouldn't say it is going to be cheap compared to upcountry Thailand, but do you need to be a millionaire to live comfortably there? I think not...

CC

I believe that if you want to live comfortably in Singapore, you have to be rich. Things in Singaproe is getting more and more expensive. Especially housing. As Singapore is a small country with limited land, so housing is getting very very expensive. Unless, you have a good paying job or a lot of cash, Singapore is a place where things are more expensive compared to other countries like Malaysia, Thailand or Philippines.

So, how do 90% of non-expat Singaporeans live then ?

Has the government left the floodgates open to swell the population?

You could have googled it yourself, but here it is, HDB.

Those HDB flats are also rented out (leaving 1 room locked as a token ).

I am not aware of any kind of retirement visa for Singapore. They want expats to work. You might consider Malaysia, similar food anyway, and they have a formal retirement visa that provides alot more security than Thailands; however the application process is more onerous.

:) My husband works at singapore. He ha been working there for two years.

Now he had applied for PR.If we get PR for my son (He is now 3 months

old.)and give up PR after 6 years without commiting for National Service!

If we return to our motherland after 6 years for his secondary education.

Shall getting PR for my son will affect his future? Kindly make a good advice

I do not think kids on Singapore PR are liable for National Service - only citizens.

I think most people's perceptions of Singapore are shaped heavily by visiting the city area ... Orchard Road (particularly on this forum as the Thai embassy happens to be there) - Suntec - Boat Quay - Sentosa etc ...

Try going out to, say, Woodlands, and a different, far cheaper version of Singapore emerges. I still wouldn't say it is going to be cheap compared to upcountry Thailand, but do you need to be a millionaire to live comfortably there? I think not...

CC

The most reasonable comment so far.

:)

Singapore is more expensive than other SE Asian countries, Yes, but how much more expensive is really down to the individual.

You can sit downtown and pay $20 for a beer or move out to the heartlands and get it for $4

I do not think kids on Singapore PR are liable for National Service - only citizens.

I think that's incorrect - male children who are PR are liable for NS in Singapore - HOWEVER there is no obligation to put kids on PR here - the parents can be PR whilst the child remains on a "Long Term Visit Pass" which is valid for 2 years at a time ...

My wife and I are applying for Sing PR at the moment - we will leave my stepson on his LTVP for now - he may decide to remain here in which case we can put him on PR in the future, or he may decide to return to Thailand in which case he will have to do "lor dor" there anyway. But let it be his decision when he's older...

CC

I have a page or two about Singapore on a website .. writing about it favorably as a possible place for retirement. I realize it is not Thailand or Laos, or ..

But for city people who want the kind of lifestyle, that Singapore offers, it would seem to be a reasonable place.

Not too long ago, an Irish chap took severe exception to my even suggesting Singapore was priced reasonably enough for mortals or anyone " .. other than a Sterling millionaire."

Of course, he was also trying to peddle "fully legal" houses in Phuket based on "legal because his law firm said so" 30+30+30 leases and land owned by "companies registered offshore".

The Irish chap is probably correct that you'd need to be a Sterling millionaire if you will be retiring at a fairly young age. What's expensive is rent and automobiles; if you're a barfly, that's going to be really expensive too. However I find that I have no need for an automobile when living so being forced to not have a car saves me money compared to many other places; the rent is the real killer. I'm finding that overall my monthly expenses are about the same as what it was costing me to live in rural Pennsylvania if (which was the last place I lived prior to Singapore) if that reference is meaningful to you, it's just that the money gets spent on different things. So I guess what it boils down to is that if you have enough money to retire to a locale in the US where costs are near the national average, you'd also have enough money to retire in Singapore.

:D ...the medical bills, if you're above 50, may just drain you dry, if you're at all a pennslyvanian millionaire.

:D besides, if noodles and rice are not your fare, prepare to live on steak once a week.forget the wine....

they are just too expensive at almost 150% tax on all alcohols and cigarettes and all imported goods.

:D remember, more than 90% of all products in singapore,edible or not, are imported.

:) singapore has no land for farming whateversoever like thailand or pennsylvannia.

:D it's just a concrete jungle where her singaporean people have been quoted to say why they must must be condemned to live in very expensive public housing of the chicken-coop type. private housing??????if you're are not bill gates, warren buffet or oprah or donald trump or anyone of them, forget singapore before you just rush into a nightmare.

:D fear small spaces or cubicles or chicken-coop housing? if so, go elswhere...singaporeans are crammed in their chicken-coops. wonder why singapore was suggested to you when singaporean birthrates cannot even cope with their own singaporean emigration rates for the last 20 years average.

The Irish chap is probably correct that you'd need to be a Sterling millionaire if you will be retiring at a fairly young age. What's expensive is rent and automobiles; if you're a barfly, that's going to be really expensive too. However I find that I have no need for an automobile when living so being forced to not have a car saves me money compared to many other places; the rent is the real killer. I'm finding that overall my monthly expenses are about the same as what it was costing me to live in rural Pennsylvania if (which was the last place I lived prior to Singapore) if that reference is meaningful to you, it's just that the money gets spent on different things. So I guess what it boils down to is that if you have enough money to retire to a locale in the US where costs are near the national average, you'd also have enough money to retire in Singapore.

:D ...the medical bills, if you're above 50, may just drain you dry, if you're at all a pennslyvanian millionaire.

:D besides, if noodles and rice are not your fare, prepare to live on steak once a week.forget the wine....

they are just too expensive at almost 150% tax on all alcohols and cigarettes and all imported goods.

:D remember, more than 90% of all products in singapore,edible or not, are imported.

:) singapore has no land for farming whateversoever like thailand or pennsylvannia.

:D it's just a concrete jungle where her singaporean people have been quoted to say why they must must be condemned to live in very expensive public housing of the chicken-coop type. private housing??????if you're are not bill gates, warren buffet or oprah or donald trump or anyone of them, forget singapore before you just rush into a nightmare.

:D fear small spaces or cubicles or chicken-coop housing? if so, go elswhere...singaporeans are crammed in their chicken-coops. wonder why singapore was suggested to you when singaporean birthrates cannot even cope with their own singaporean emigration rates for the last 20 years average.

Fair enough if you don't like Singapore. Some people do, some people don't - though I'd bet that a person who would inquire about the financial feasibility of retiring there would be one of those that do. I'd also wager that there's very little crossover between people who like Pattaya and people who like Singapore.

Most of your points are valid opinions, but one thing that you say that is incorrect is about import taxes. Alcohol, tobacco, and automobiles are taxed heavily but most other imported items are not. There are items that are taxed at the roughly 150% rate that you mentioned, but there also are categories of imported items that at taxed at 0% -- that 150% rate is not an across-the-board thing..

IMHO Singapore is an expensive place to live as compared to its neighbouring countries.

Reproduced a factual report here about the pros and cons (mostly cons) of living in Singapore for expats

Things you might not like about Singapore

Singapore is a wonderful city to live in. It is clean, green, extremely efficient, and is home to very friendly and hard-working people. However, there are certain aspects of the country that remain unpopular with expats living in Singapore.

Rule-bound

The first criticism against Singapore is its strict rule-bound culture. There is a penalty or fine for even the smallest offences, considered harmless in most other countries. This has led to labelling Singapore as a "fine city". In fact a t-shirt souvenir sporting this slogan on the front and pictures of the penalties and offences on the back is very popular among tourists. There are fines imposed on littering, jaywalking, smoking in most public places, failing to flush a public toilet after use, urinating in elevators, accidental breeding of mosquitoes, carrying durians (a tropical fruit with a strong odour) on trains and buses, eating or drinking in trains or buses or even on the platforms, possession of pornography, indecent exposure and unnatural sex, and chewing gum!

There are posters and signs at every juncture - public transport, parks, office buildings, elevators, shopping malls, libraries, residential apartment complexes - which are hard hitting, prominent and difficult to miss. Asians find it easier to accept these strict enforcements of rules. However, this culture can leave others feeling perpetually policed in a sterile environment with the feeling that their personal freedom is being infringed upon.

Hot and humid weather

If you are relocating from a country where you enjoy the four seasons (spring, summer, autumn and winter), then the weather in Singapore is going to take some getting used to. It is hot, humid and sticky most of the time with sudden and unpredictable rain-spells. Day-time temperatures hover around 32 degrees Celsius and humidity level at around 84%. Most expats find the humidity hard to bear and prefer staying indoors in air-conditioned comfort. The city is often described as a ' giant sauna ' ..

Small country

One of the disadvantages of Singapore is that it is a country, state and city all rolled in one.. It has an area of 692.7 sq km and is slightly more than 3.5 times the size of Washington DC .. Singapore is unlike other countries, where you would have the option of inter-state or inter-city travel and you could explore the region during weekend getaways or holidays. People who re-locate from Australia, Europe, America and other parts of Asia miss having the option of driving down to the nearest town or city for a short break - because there is no other city to drive to! The only option is to drive across the causeway link to Johor Bahru in Malaysia or to explore the nearby islands of Malaysia and Indonesia.

Uniformity

One of the stark features of Singapore is its uniformity. The public housing estates consist of tall and wide blocks closely packed to one another and have the same elevation and facade in every single locality. The city greenery, which includes trees and shrubs that line the roads and avenues are all pruned to the same level and planted at equal distances. As you drive through the city the uniformity is bleak and gives you a sense of artificiality. This uniformity can sometimes get boring and unnatural. In fairness, some of the new residential buildings have adopted more modern and experimental architecture which is a welcome change.

Limited access to entertainment and adventure activities

It is easy to exhaust most of the entertainment and recreation options in Singapore . Once you have explored Sentosa Island , the Zoo, Bird Park and Night Safari, there is little else to do except to ' wine and dine ' and ' shop till you drop ' . It is no wonder that shopping and dining are the national pastimes here. Many expats from Australia and America miss their outdoor activities - such as bush walking, cherry picking, weekend theme-based festivals, parades etc. Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, Chijmes, Holland Village and Orchard Road are the popular dining and shopping hubs. After a point, these too can get boring and repetitive.

The BBQ experience at the BBQ pits found within the compounds of condos comes nowhere close to the experience of a natural BBQ outdoors. Although Sentosa Island boasts of three beaches, it can be quite a let down if you are looking for the typical beach experience. These beaches have an artificial feel and are reclaimed using imported sand from neighbouring countries. Even the palm trees are said to be purposefully planted to give it a natural look.. These beaches do not have waves and expats who are used to surfing, resort to alternative beach activities (beach volley-ball, roller blading). The water is murky and people usually refrain from taking a dip and avoid snorkeling. Due to the dearth of natural rock climbing sites, wall climbing has become more popular in Singapore.

Decoding Singlish

English is widely spoken in Singapore . However, you will find Singaporeans ' speech peppered with Singlish. Singlish is a portmanteau word made from Singapore English. Singlish borrows terms from the Chinese, Malay and Tamil languages. There are certain expressions like ' lah ' , ' leh ' , ' ah ' , ' meh ' , ' lor ' used to punctuate sentences. Sentences are not complete and are more like phrases, without prepositions and are spoken quickly with a distinct Singaporean accent. Singaporeans also often use the word "can" in place of "yes".

It can be frustrating for an expat to understand what is being communicated but it eventually grows on you. The government has launched an aggressive ' Speak Good English Movement ' , strongly discouraging the use of Singlish. It is not used in everyday formal business interactions, presentations, meetings and job interviews, but if the population is largely comprised of locals, Singlish may be used to build rapport and inject humour. You cannot escape it when you interact with taxi drivers, hawkers and shop keepers.

Materialistic culture

Singapore is infamous for its materialistic culture. Increasing number of brands are making their way to Singapore to woo this brand conscious nation. Louis Vuitton, Prada, Gucci, Cartier , Mont Blanc and other luxury brands never go out of business. You will often find long winding queues of eager customers outside their doors. Materialism rules the roost and has led to a society of arrogance, selfishness and greed.

The society is highly individualistic and people are impatient to get rich. Most work-place conversations among colleagues centre around property, shares and higher salaries. It is a society that operates on the "time is money" principle and so everything is fast pace - walking fast, eating fast and increasing the speed of all activities. According to a study conducted by the British Council, Singaporeans are the world ' s fastest walkers, which is also indicative of the pace of life in the city. The Singapore materialistic dream is summed up in the 5 C ' s - cash, car, condo, credit-card and country club.

In an article published by the International Herald Tribune as early as 1994: Rise in Materialism Prompts Worry about a Moral Decline: With more Money Fewer Values?, there are some interesting insights by international sociologists on Singapore ' s rampant materialism. J.A.C. Mac kie, an Australian political scientist said that Singapore had become "the quintessence of consumerism and materialism." Although Australia has a reputation for hedonism, contemporary Singapore , he said, "makes Australia look rather spiritual." According to Kanwaljit Soin, a nominated member of Singapore ' s Parliament from 1992 to 1996, "in the quest for material gains, there is a tendency to believe that nothing succeeds like excess." Singaporeans will go all out to live the good life - lavish dinners; branded clothing, footwear and accessories; sporty cars, expensive WIFI phones, exotic holidays, playing golf, the list goes on. Its all about the ' been there done that ' life, which appears shallow and meaningless to non-Singaporeans.

Singaporean Attitude

Most expats find it difficult to forge friendships with the locals. The general perception is that Singaporeans are too focused on their personal goals to care about anything else. A common criticism is that Singaporeans often find it difficult to hold conversations on a topic or issue that has nothing to do with Singapore and that they hold a limited world-view. Moreover, the political climate and rule-bound culture makes them submissive and non-questioning. They are also considered a pampered lot who never seem satisfied with what they have. Most expats give up on trying to understand the locals, as nearly all conversations would only end up being a list of complaints against the government or how difficult life is or the 5 C ' s and 4-D (4-D is the 4 Digit lottery where people bet on a 4 Digit number).

There is also a general lack of warmth among the people. This is especially felt by Indian and Australian expats as they come from a warm, outgoing and friendly society. Singaporeans hardly smile to anyone in public and are quite to-the-point in everyday interactions. It signals a mechanical, robotic and an unpleasant spirit.. Recognizing this Singaporean trait, the government in 1979 launched the ' National Courtesy Campaign ' in an effort to make fellow Singaporeans more polite, friendly and thoughtful towards one another. This culminated into the ' Singapore Kindness Movement ' in 2001. Despite these efforts Singapore still fails to exude warmth and spontaneous smiles. Singapore ranked amongst the bottom 10 out of a total of 35 countries included in the Readers Digest ' s Global Courtesy Test 2006.

Work Culture Differences

Certain aspects of the work culture in Singapore may be alien to expats and at times these may be difficult to adjust to. Expats from Europe and America often miss the convenience of flexible-work hours. The focus in these nations is on getting the job done, not on how many hours you have spent at work. However, in Singapore people tend to work beyond office hours, irrespective of their actual productivity.

Singapore ' s work culture can at best be defined as "Asian". This often means, respect for seniority and authority, and employing non verbal means of communication. Unlike Western societies, employees usually agree with the boss and prefer not to challenge their views or ideas regarding business related issues. Most Singaporeans believe in exhibiting a calm demeanour and speaking softly rather than being outspoken, loud and aggressive. This non-questioning attitude may come as a cultural shock to Westerners, who are often direct and explicit in their communication.

Personal relationships play an important role in business and these relationships often take time to develop. Another contrast that most Westerners encounter, is that Singaporeans need very specific instructions to carry out a task and most of their knowledge is book based.

Rising cost of living

Expats are often envied by the locals as it is assumed that being on an "expat package" naturally means a better standard of living. While this is largely true, the situation is fast changing in Singapore with rising costs of living. While costs have soared, salaries have remained flat. In recent times many expats have considered returning to their home country due to increased cost of living.

According to a report published on Forbes.com , Singapore is the fifth most expensive city to live in Asia . The report said that a two bedroom apartment costs 3359 US dollars a month; 200 US dollars more than the cost of a similar apartment in Paris . Domestic cleaning help, estimated at 8.50 dollars an hour, is comparable to that of Seoul ' s, which was ranked as the second most expensive Asian city. A good-table-quality bottle of wine will approximately cost 26.90 US dollars as compared to 13.99 US dollars in Tokyo.

The Goods and Services Tax has risen from 5% to 7%. Transportation costs have gone up. Inflation rose by 7.6% in April of 2008. Fuel costs have increased by 13% and rents have risen sharply in the 2007/2008. This along with the strengthening Singapore dollar, is causing some amount of unhappiness in the expat community here.

On a final note

After all is said and done, despite these complaints, Singapore is still considered a top destination for expats. Singapore was recently ranked as the ‘Happiest country in Asia’ in a study reported by ABC News. The city has a lot to offer - security and safety being its unique advantage. The city is clean and green, with fairly acceptable pollution levels. The government through its big-brotherly policies has ensured housing for all and encourages its residents to maintain a work-life balance. Residents live harmoniously despite their varied ethnic backgrounds.

My husband works at singapore. He ha been working there for two years.

:) wrong! he is liable for national / army service.

:D it is your sons singapore wants. the singapore army does not have enough soldiers to defend the country.

:D many conditions apply before you can have your sons surrender their/ his pr status.

:D do not for once you can run away from singapore so easily once you as parents pick up the pr status.

:D many malaysians n chinese n indians who have picked up their prs are regretting it.

:D singapore is playing geo-politic games with INDONESIA n MALAYSIA - both MUSLIM majorities countries by granting prs to indians n chinese nationals who are mostly non-muslims. malaysian n indonesianchinese are treated similarly by being granted pr easily. INDONESIAN n MALAYSIAN MUSLIMS are NOT KNOWN TO BE GRANTED PR STATUS IN SINGAPORE.

Remember, SINGAPORE is a very small PREDOMINANTLY CHINESE country - no bigger than some very small islands of indonesia , bali included.

:D singapore is relying on india n china to come to her "rescue" in the event war breaks out with her muslim neighbors.

:D why do you thnk singapore behaves like an american lackey n was once branded a running dog for america???? :P

(this reply here is in need here though out of main topic. it is posted here to reply to an erroneuos info posted here about pr status n a child's liabilty to compulsory non-lottery (unlike in thailand) army service in singapore once someone picked up pr status in singapore. mods , pls do the needful .)

Edited by topben

Fair enough if you don't like Singapore. Some people do, some people don't - though I'd bet that a person who would inquire about the financial feasibility of retiring there would be one of those that do. I'd also wager that there's very little crossover between people who like Pattaya and people who like Singapore.

Most of your points are valid opinions, but one thing that you say that is incorrect is about import taxes. Alcohol, tobacco, and automobiles are taxed heavily but most other imported items are not. There are items that are taxed at the roughly 150% rate that you mentioned, but there also are categories of imported items that at taxed at 0% -- that 150% rate is not an across-the-board thing..

:D should it not read "all 'similarly liked' items????(yarm, are u there?)

also, don't see "across the board" mentioned by yarm. (are u there too, originalposter????)

whatever, some luxury items, as i have been told, are taxed at some 300% in singapore. is this true??? e.g.sports cars???,pls confirm

how come imported items are not be taxed???? then, what's the 7% vat tax (like in canada and most european countries) for????? :D

:D should it not read "all 'similarly liked' items????(yarm, are u there?)

also, don't see "across the board" mentioned by yarm. (are u there too, originalposter????)

whatever, some luxury items, as i have been told, are taxed at some 300% in singapore. is this true??? e.g.sports cars???,pls confirm

how come imported items are not be taxed???? then, what's the 7% vat tax (like in canada and most european countries) for????? :)

I don't really understand the animostity of Thai expats towards Singapore, but we don't need to explore that at this juncture...

The reason that some imported items are not taxed (except for the 7% VAT) is that the Singapore government uses taxation as a tool to implement social policy. They don't want people drinking excessively so they tax the hel_l out of beer & booze. They fear having excessive traffic jams & pollution so they tax cars to death. They want to be a high tech center so taxes on electronics and computers are minimal or non-existent. They want to attract skilled foreign workers so their income tax rates top out at 17% for those in the highest income bracket.

Yes, highend sports cars and luxury sedans are taxed radically, maybe by as much as the 300% that you mention. As I recall (for instance) the BMW 7 series costs about $70K in the US versus at least $200K in Singapore. Those cars are extortionately priced in Thailand too though. The solution to that is either have a big job or ride the buses or MRT. I can't think of a single car of any type that is priced reasobably in Singapore - cars in general pose a fiscal problem, not just luxury cars (though you might be able to get something with a 1.0 litre engine for a "mere" US$40K). But in Singapore, the public transport is very good & very cheap, there really is no need for a car unless you are trying to impress your neighbors.

All that said (and as I said originally), I do think that for it to be realistic to retire to Singapore that you would need to be a Sterling millionaire (which was the proposition put forth by the person who started this thread). Even then you might not be able to get a visa unless you have some previous ties to Singapore. However I don't think that Singapore is expensive compared to a lot of places in the West, and I think that the standard of living for the average person is higher in Singapore than in most other places in SE Asia. Singapore's really best for mid-career professionals who are still saving for retirement rather than for those that are already retired, as the higher salaries in Singapore will generally more than offset the higher cost of living if you are a person who works in a field that the Singapore government has decided is of value.

National Service

Under the Enlistment Act, all male citizens and Permanent Residents are eligible for national service when they reach 16½ years old. The length of national service is 2 or 2½ years of full-time service (NSF), and upon completion they are required to serve 40 days a year as an Operationally Ready National Serviceman (NS) until they reach 50 (officers) or 40 years old (other ranks).

If you are a first generation PR under the Professional, Technical Personnel, Skilled Workers Scheme or the Economic Benefits Scheme, you are exempted from NS. Your male child will be eligible for NS upon reaching 16½ years old.

For more information, contact:

Central Manpower Base

3 Depot Road

#03-07

Singapore 109680

Edited by somluck

There is a lot of bashing on here about Singapore and I don't agree with much of it at all.

Is Singapore expensive? Yes, but then you can earn the money here to pay for it!! And it also depends on where you go and what you buy. You can eat and drink very expensive of very cheep! If I go to the supermarket in Singapore one week and Phuket the next Singapore is definatly cheaper for the basket of goods I buy.

I am not sure why some people automatically give Singapore a bad time, its a great place with plently to do and easy to travel out of.

And yes Male children who are chlidren of PR's are elligiable for National Service. If they are liabile for Thai National Service also they do the Singapore service only.