Need To Transfer Money To U.k....

Hi all,

I need to transfer about 60,000 Baht to my father's account in the U.K. I no longer maintain any U.K accounts or offshore accounts.

I tried Bangkok Bank but according to their rules income earned here can be transferred back to country of origin but the account has to be in your own name. Can anyone confirm this?

Any ideas ?

Thanks guys!

Hi all,

I need to transfer about 60,000 Baht to my father's account in the U.K. I no longer maintain any U.K accounts or offshore accounts.

I tried Bangkok Bank but according to their rules income earned here can be transferred back to country of origin but the account has to be in your own name. Can anyone confirm this?

Any ideas ?

Thanks guys!

This can be very frustrating. Some times I have to transfer money to Hong Kong, and some times I meet a clerk that knows the rules and some times I meet an ignorant same as you did. There is a limit on how much money you can transfer out, but it is a lot more than 60,000B (10,000usd?) without any special paperwork. My money comes from abroad, but still sometime I get problems. Anyway, Western Union always works fine. If you have to transfer from a bank, just make up an invoice for whatever you can dream up with your father's account on it and it should go smooth after the clerk has finished scratching his head.

WB

Hi all,

Any ideas ?

Thanks guys!

You can transfer out of Thailand up to USD20,000 or its equivalent without needing BOT approvals. Just go into BK Bank and tell them you want to transfer the money and if they give you any grief just go to another branch. The fact that you have a work permit is irrelevant as is your need to transfer funds to an account in a name other than yours. If you really get desperate go to a larger BK Bank and buy a cashiers cheque in Pounds drawn on their London branch and courier it to the UK - the cheque will clear in three days.

Thanks for the replies!

In the end transferred via Western Union at the local post office, easy peasy, no questions asked. Just produced my passport and of course the cash. Lost a bit on their own exchange markup and fee of 2,200 Baht.

Wish the banks here could get their act together regarding transferring money out. Somehow, don't see that happening :o

Edited by jingjingna