Lump Sum........

To paraphrase what someone has already said - "beware the power of wishful thinking". The amount of money mentioned by the OP so far in terms of lump sum and/or possible income looks way tight to me - leave alone the healthcare implications.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but isn't this all academic? How is the OP - currently aged 39 - going to get a visa to stay here ?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chiang mai, I do not disagree that there are many factors to take into accout - I believe I am the only poster here who has actually mentioned the health and health care issues. We also need to keep a balanced view, you tell us your sister believes the NHS "doesn't offer much for MS sufferers" regardless of a definition of what 'Much' means it must be remembered that the Thai health system offers absolutely nothing to a foreigner who cannot pay.

Regardless of that, making an assessment of how one foreigner with MS would get by in Thailand based on the experiences of another person suffering with MS who is not in Thailand does not provide a useful guide. Hence my suggestion of health counselling.

But I think in a sense the OP is asking the wrong question - we can all make a calculation of what is a reasonable Lump Sum to live in Thailand, obtaining that Lump Sum is the difficult part.

I suggest a more informative approach (for anybody considering moving to Thailand) would be to determine the funds that are available and then examine if a move to Thailand is a practical reality based on those funds. Hence my suggestion to take professional advice on finances.

The OP is 39 years old, as you rightly point out, MS for very many people does not mean a shortened life span. Dropping out of employment and earnings with perhaps 30 or more years ahead of you to live on savings (Health Issues asside) requires serious capital.

You have stated that your sister decided to steer clear of a medication - a choice. Not being able to afford a medication is not a choice.

I simply advise careful thought and professional advice.

We're both broadly offering the same advice Guesthouse so no debate to be had on that. Just for information however but not to derail the OP's topic, UK health authorities offer little by way of help to MS sufferers because there is little they can do other than to provide support, there is no cure at present and very little by way of medication that can be offered that may help - others closer to the subject will be able to elaborate more precisely. It is therefore not a question of being able to afford the medication or not since there really is nothing that can be prescribed at any cost anywhere.

chiang mai, I do not disagree that there are many factors to take into accout - I believe I am the only poster here who has actually mentioned the health and health care issues. We also need to keep a balanced view, you tell us your sister believes the NHS "doesn't offer much for MS sufferers" regardless of a definition of what 'Much' means it must be remembered that the Thai health system offers absolutely nothing to a foreigner who cannot pay.

Regardless of that, making an assessment of how one foreigner with MS would get by in Thailand based on the experiences of another person suffering with MS who is not in Thailand does not provide a useful guide. Hence my suggestion of health counselling.

But I think in a sense the OP is asking the wrong question - we can all make a calculation of what is a reasonable Lump Sum to live in Thailand, obtaining that Lump Sum is the difficult part.

I suggest a more informative approach (for anybody considering moving to Thailand) would be to determine the funds that are available and then examine if a move to Thailand is a practical reality based on those funds. Hence my suggestion to take professional advice on finances.

The OP is 39 years old, as you rightly point out, MS for very many people does not mean a shortened life span. Dropping out of employment and earnings with perhaps 30 or more years ahead of you to live on savings (Health Issues asside) requires serious capital.

You have stated that your sister decided to steer clear of a medication - a choice. Not being able to afford a medication is not a choice.

I simply advise careful thought and professional advice.

We're both broadly offering the same advice Guesthouse so no debate to be had on that. Just for information however but not to derail the OP's topic, UK health authorities offer little by way of help to MS sufferers because there is little they can do other than to provide support, there is no cure at present and very little by way of medication that can be offered that may help - others closer to the subject will be able to elaborate more precisely. It is therefore not a question of being able to afford the medication or not since there really is nothing that can be prescribed at any cost anywhere.

Wow, thanks everyone who has commented/replied, I have read all your comments and found them very very interesting.

I totally take on board comments re my MS.

CM is very accurate in saying there is little the UK NHS can do, although there is Predisinole (IV steroid) which I have found very good so far, and general support is very good. For those with an interest in MS, check out the phase 3 trials now going on with Alemtuzumab

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7680641.stm ...........a cure may not be far away......

I will be seeking professional advice, health and financial, you are all helpful and I appreciate all that you have said.

I too thought maybe my lump sum may be a bit tight hence the original question, and the possible interest rate drop to 2% is great while I still pay my UK base rate tracker mortgage, but worrying if I need to live off the interest rate!

I am also planning on a multi entry visa?? and returning to the UK for 3 or 4 months a year, I can lodge with friends/family.

It sounds like Pattaya or Chaing Mai can be cheap to live in. Has anyone any other comments on this?

I have been to Pattaya and there is a guy from my home city in the UK who owns a bar there who I met this year, along with a about half a dozen others from the same city. I wish I had stayed longer and made more definate contacts but hey ho! Work can be restrictive when it comes to holidays.......

What a great website!

Q: would you be old enough to qualify for a Retirement Visa?

Would you be willing to plan around the 90 days limit every 180 days? Frequent trips to neighboring countries and probably the need to maintain two apartments?

Just living expenses, I reckon you can make it on 20,000 Baht a month. Every little helps. A decent furnished studio might start at 6,000 a month for Bangkok. Add 1,000 for phone & DSL. 2,000 for utilities etc.

post-7704-1225386985_thumb.jpg

Q: would you be old enough to qualify for a Retirement Visa?

Would you be willing to plan around the 90 days limit every 180 days? Frequent trips to neighboring countries and probably the need to maintain two apartments?

Just living expenses, I reckon you can make it on 20,000 Baht a month. Every little helps. A decent furnished studio might start at 6,000 a month for Bangkok. Add 1,000 for phone & DSL. 2,000 for utilities etc.

Thanks for that, I'm 39 so no retirement for me yet....! I think I could get by, but also might look for work just to top things up.

thanks again

Hi, thanks fo your reply. I am 39 and am basing it on the sale of my house which would give me about 100k. I have multiple sclerosis but my symptoms are mild and no-one notices there is anything wrong so I'm very lucky in that respect. After holidaying in Thailand this year and seeing how cheaply someone can live there, it has triggered thoughts of moving there as I think it would be good for me, no stress etc....

I did a pretty good budget last year, rented a two floor apartment in Chiang Mai - my cost was as follow (actual cost divided per month):

Rent: 2,700

Utilities: 1,000

Gasoline: 800

Food: 6,000

Health: 2,500 (savings account if not used)

Internet: 800

Cell: 500

Insurance: 1,500

Goods: 4,000

Total: 19,800

This was the basic costs just too live - in addition I spent in average 50k more on just crap (restaurants, drinks and travel). But this basic budget is a decent standard, Chiang Mai is cheap and you could live on much less if you tried too ... my neighbour which live in the same complex has a budget of 9000 per month and is happy and content.

Good luck! :D

This figure is so much more realistic than most on this forum. If you can get out of Bangkok, your living expenses go way down. I haven't seen anyone on here from Khon Kaen, but I'm betting it's even cheaper living there. I live in Lopburi province and these figures above are pretty close to mine. I have an Englishman friend who lives nearby and lives around the 9000-15000 baht per month budget. And he's got a young girlfriend and is very happy. :o

Damoninparadise:

oh, there are so many factors to consider.....and really, you do need some professional advice ..but professional advice from someone with actual experience of living in Thailand.

My opinion as to costs etc is slightly gloomier for you than many of the previous posts.

Firstly, where in Thailand have you been? Obviously Bangkok, but are there other areas that you have been to and felt that you'd actually like to live there PERMANENTLY?

This is the first thing you should consider.

Its all well and good to have gone on a holiday in Phuket, or Pattaya and then fallen in love with the "idea" of living there (and I am NOT saying that you have necessarily done this) and then thought, "yes, I can live here". This is going to be a very serious move for you and there are so many aspects to consider.

I would do another investigative trip to Thailand and just see where suits you and also where is the most practical for you to live....remembering you current lifestyle, and also your interests and longer term goals.

Contrary to many in TV, I would NOT rent in the longer term. If you do, you will lose your funds through inflation in rising rentals. I would, after doing your research, look at buying a unit that you feel you can comfortably live in....in an area that you feel comfortable with (and are happy to walk around) and with the facilities that you need.

In BKK, this may cost you 3 million baht..or it could cost you 1 million or 20 million. In other areas, again, the prices are that broad. In Phuket, well, you could pay much, much more.

Then consider what you are going to do with your day....whilst at the same time conserving or trying to grow your cash reserves. A week lying on a beach is pleasant.....a month becomes tedious...and 6 months becomes a sentence. You will need to keep your mind and body active other wise you will go troppo.

Consider all the costings given by posters earlier. These are a helpful guide. Add at least 30% to them and then you will have a fall back position.

Consider too taking out health insurance that either covers you in Thailand or is taken out in Thailand that will allow you to go to the best hospitals if (hopefully not) necessary.

Consider the cost of having a live-in carer further down the track. This is not just because you have MS....but for anyone who is looking at spending the rest of their lives in any part of Asia. I have seen too many elderly foreigners who live as paupers and uncomfortably due to lack of planning and resources. Believe me, you won't be popular with locals if you cannot adequately support yourself.

Food, entertainment, clothing, hobbies etc, as I said, are all pretty well covered in earlier posts.

Also, as an aside, look too at Malaysia. The Malaysian Governement is actively seeking foreigners to live there through their "Second Home" project. They too have very fine medical facilities and the cost of living is comparative. KL offers the additional benefit of being a short drive from some of the most wonderful forests in Asia.

Personally, although it may not sound like it, I would encourage you to make the move...for many more reasons that time now doesn't permit me to go into. But PLEASE, do your homework by actually coming here and taking the time to look around with your future in mind.

Good luck !!

Oh, in case you are wondering: I live for part of the year in Thailand (BKK), also in KL, NYC, London and Melbourne Australia. Yes, thats how I have structured my life.

Hi, thanks fo your reply. I am 39 and am basing it on the sale of my house which would give me about 100k. I have multiple sclerosis but my symptoms are mild and no-one notices there is anything wrong so I'm very lucky in that respect. After holidaying in Thailand this year and seeing how cheaply someone can live there, it has triggered thoughts of moving there as I think it would be good for me, no stress etc....

I did a pretty good budget last year, rented a two floor apartment in Chiang Mai - my cost was as follow (actual cost divided per month):

Rent: 2,700

Utilities: 1,000

Gasoline: 800

Food: 6,000

Health: 2,500 (savings account if not used)

Internet: 800

Cell: 500

Insurance: 1,500

Goods: 4,000

Total: 19,800

This was the basic costs just too live - in addition I spent in average 50k more on just crap (restaurants, drinks and travel). But this basic budget is a decent standard, Chiang Mai is cheap and you could live on much less if you tried too ... my neighbour which live in the same complex has a budget of 9000 per month and is happy and content.

Good luck! :D

This figure is so much more realistic than most on this forum. If you can get out of Bangkok, your living expenses go way down. I haven't seen anyone on here from Khon Kaen, but I'm betting it's even cheaper living there. I live in Lopburi province and these figures above are pretty close to mine. I have an Englishman friend who lives nearby and lives around the 9000-15000 baht per month budget. And he's got a young girlfriend and is very happy. :o

I partially agree, but I would have to add another 6,000 for beer and 8,000 pocket money for GF, plus a couple of extras putting me up to 40,000/month.

Although interest rates are coming down rapidly, I also believe that the strong inflation over the last couple of years will now slow considerably as the world enters a recession. But I am an optimist...

Damoninparadise:

oh, there are so many factors to consider.....and really, you do need some professional advice ..but professional advice from someone with actual experience of living in Thailand.

My opinion as to costs etc is slightly gloomier for you than many of the previous posts.

Firstly, where in Thailand have you been? Obviously Bangkok, but are there other areas that you have been to and felt that you'd actually like to live there PERMANENTLY?

This is the first thing you should consider.

Its all well and good to have gone on a holiday in Phuket, or Pattaya and then fallen in love with the "idea" of living there (and I am NOT saying that you have necessarily done this) and then thought, "yes, I can live here". This is going to be a very serious move for you and there are so many aspects to consider.

I would do another investigative trip to Thailand and just see where suits you and also where is the most practical for you to live....remembering you current lifestyle, and also your interests and longer term goals.

Contrary to many in TV, I would NOT rent in the longer term. If you do, you will lose your funds through inflation in rising rentals. I would, after doing your research, look at buying a unit that you feel you can comfortably live in....in an area that you feel comfortable with (and are happy to walk around) and with the facilities that you need.

In BKK, this may cost you 3 million baht..or it could cost you 1 million or 20 million. In other areas, again, the prices are that broad. In Phuket, well, you could pay much, much more.

Then consider what you are going to do with your day....whilst at the same time conserving or trying to grow your cash reserves. A week lying on a beach is pleasant.....a month becomes tedious...and 6 months becomes a sentence. You will need to keep your mind and body active other wise you will go troppo.

Consider all the costings given by posters earlier. These are a helpful guide. Add at least 30% to them and then you will have a fall back position.

Consider too taking out health insurance that either covers you in Thailand or is taken out in Thailand that will allow you to go to the best hospitals if (hopefully not) necessary.

Consider the cost of having a live-in carer further down the track. This is not just because you have MS....but for anyone who is looking at spending the rest of their lives in any part of Asia. I have seen too many elderly foreigners who live as paupers and uncomfortably due to lack of planning and resources. Believe me, you won't be popular with locals if you cannot adequately support yourself.

Food, entertainment, clothing, hobbies etc, as I said, are all pretty well covered in earlier posts.

Also, as an aside, look too at Malaysia. The Malaysian Governement is actively seeking foreigners to live there through their "Second Home" project. They too have very fine medical facilities and the cost of living is comparative. KL offers the additional benefit of being a short drive from some of the most wonderful forests in Asia.

Personally, although it may not sound like it, I would encourage you to make the move...for many more reasons that time now doesn't permit me to go into. But PLEASE, do your homework by actually coming here and taking the time to look around with your future in mind.

Good luck !!

Oh, in case you are wondering: I live for part of the year in Thailand (BKK), also in KL, NYC, London and Melbourne Australia. Yes, thats how I have structured my life.

Thanks London, I did think your message was going to discourage me at first but I know you are only trying to help and make sure I don't make a huge mistake!

There seems to be a huge demand for english teachers in Thailand so I will pursue that route as a possible means of financing my next trip over there. I take on board fully what you are saying, maybe a 2 or 3 month visit is in order to get a broader picture of life over there?

Well, it seems like everyone is pussyfooting around the issue, so it's up to me to state the bleeding obvious.

1) 100,000 sterling is NOWHERE near enough for a 39 year old to retire upon anywhere in the world, let alone Thailand.

2) Thailand is NOT the place for someone with MS, no matter how much they want to be here (based on a holiday)

3) Experienced and (supposedly) knowledgeable posters already living here should be ashamed of themselves for providing tacit encouragement to the OP.

100k is not enough for a 65 year old, let alone a 39 year old. How anyone can say it's enough when noone knows issues like inflation, fx rates etc for 3 months away, let alone 25 years from now, is completely beyond me. Utterly amazing, and completely irresponsible.

And while I understand the board's sensitivity in addressing the MS issue, let's be honest here. My sister has MS. Four years ago she was fine; today she is in a wheelchair. While the OP seems healthy now, what about the future? I think we can safely say no Thai company will provide health insurance based on his condition - so how is this addressed in the future?

To go back to the OP's question and based on all the variables (which in his case are considerably more risky than in anyone else's), it would be grossly irresponsible to even think of coming here with less than half a million, and perhaps much much more.

Well, it seems like everyone is pussyfooting around the issue, so it's up to me to state the bleeding obvious.

1) 100,000 sterling is NOWHERE near enough for a 39 year old to retire upon anywhere in the world, let alone Thailand.

"Actually did the math and using the criteria shown above (4% interest, 8% inflation, 80k baht spend per month and 35 baht per Pound), £400k will last you 13 years before you go broke".

Pussyfoot

The number will vary based on interest rates and rates of return on your money and that will vary greatly but you should make the calculation based on a worst case scenario. For example, returns on GBP for example were easily in the 6.5% to 7% range a few months ago but in twelve months time they will almost certainly be much lower, say 4% to 5% - that makes a huge difference. Inflation is another important factor and based on events in Thailand over the past few months that should not be underestimated - using an 8% inflation figure is not unreasonable. The third and final component is exchange rate and as we are seeing presently that can also vary widely over time - using an exchange rate of 35 baht per pound would not be unreasonable either. So, when you figure out what your actually monthly spend rate is likely to be in Baht, say 80,000 baht a month all in, take that number and work backwards through all the factors described above and then project it forward over the next ten years and don't be surprised if you come up with a figure of greater than £500,000.

Actually did the math and using the criteria shown above (4% interest, 8% inflation, 80k baht spend per month and 35 baht per Pound), £400k will last you 13 years before you go broke.

35 baht to the pound, I dont think so, most likely will level off at around 50 for next 2 years and then creep back up to 60.

There is nothing happening in Thailand to suggest that the baht is going to grow in strength, the present situation is short term and only through the world financial chaos.

Havent done the maths but suggest figures would work out closer to 20 years even allowing for inflation.

As for me I hope I last more than 20 years and the thought of being a geriatric and penniless in Thailand fills me with dread.

Edited by benjamat

The number will vary based on interest rates and rates of return on your money and that will vary greatly but you should make the calculation based on a worst case scenario. For example, returns on GBP for example were easily in the 6.5% to 7% range a few months ago but in twelve months time they will almost certainly be much lower, say 4% to 5% - that makes a huge difference. Inflation is another important factor and based on events in Thailand over the past few months that should not be underestimated - using an 8% inflation figure is not unreasonable. The third and final component is exchange rate and as we are seeing presently that can also vary widely over time - using an exchange rate of 35 baht per pound would not be unreasonable either. So, when you figure out what your actually monthly spend rate is likely to be in Baht, say 80,000 baht a month all in, take that number and work backwards through all the factors described above and then project it forward over the next ten years and don't be surprised if you come up with a figure of greater than £500,000.

Actually did the math and using the criteria shown above (4% interest, 8% inflation, 80k baht spend per month and 35 baht per Pound), £400k will last you 13 years before you go broke.

35 baht to the pound, I dont think so, most likely will level off at around 50 for next 2 years and then creep back up to 60.

There is nothing happening in Thailand to suggest that the baht is going to grow in strength, the present situation is short term and only through the world financial chaos.

Havent done the maths but suggest figures would work out closer to 20 years even allowing for inflation.

As for me I hope I last more than 20 years and the thought of being a geriatric and penniless in Thailand fills me with dread.

Just a few points:

1) the rate against GBP was 35 for many years, no reason at all why it will not return to that level and lots of reasons why it might.

2) the issue is not one of the strength of THB but the weakness of GBP and currently, USD strength.

3) If you haven't done the math you need to do it because it's 13 years and 4 months,, not 14, 15 or 16 years and definitely not 20 years.

Retirement.xls

I have derived an equation to (hopefully) take into account the above factors. it is

time to fund exhaustion (yrs) = LN(12*Q/(P*INF+12*Q-P*INT))/LN(INT-INF+1)

where P= lump sum, Q=monthly expenditure, INT=annual interest rate, INF=inflation rate

and LN is the natural logarithm. you will need a scientific calculator or use attached spreadsheet "Retirement.xls". P and Q have to be in the same currency ($,Baht,GBP). for interest of 5%, INT is entered as 0.05

it really depends on how long your midlife crisis lasts, which averages about 3 years, so plan accordingly

Knew of a guy who moved there 'permanently'. Took a couple of million quid. Came back broke.

Just a few points:

1) the rate against GBP was 35 for many years, no reason at all why it will not return to that level and lots of reasons why it might.

2) the issue is not one of the strength of THB but the weakness of GBP and currently, USD strength.

3) If you haven't done the math you need to do it because it's 13 years and 4 months,, not 14, 15 or 16 years and definitely not 20 years.

Are you suggesting parity Pound to Dollar and below parity Pound to Euro? How long can the Baht be supported by BOT keeping the Dollar at 35b?

it really depends on how long your midlife crisis lasts, which averages about 3 years, so plan accordingly

Knew of a guy who moved there 'permanently'. Took a couple of million quid. Came back broke.

Must have fallen in love :o

Hello Neil,

I gather that's what happened yes.

Fact is you need to balance east and west. Money comes from the west, heads east. It's called cash flow. The OP is way, way too young to retire, especially on a small sum.

I build up family infrastructure and lifestyle over there but do not delude myself that I could give it all up any time soon.

How are you anyway, bruv?

Must have fallen in love :D

Hello Neil,

Fact is you need to balance east and west. Money comes from the west, heads east. It's called cash flow. The OP is way, way too young to retire, especially on a small sum.

I build up family infrastructure and lifestyle over there but do not delude myself that I could give it all up any time soon.

Hello Mr Parry,

Yes im OK, 3 weeks today i'll be on the plane :o

I agree the OP is to young. I would'nt say it was a small sum, just to small to retire on. Maybe he needs to think about ways of investing but in the present climate not an easy task.

Where about do you live in Thailand anyway?

Must have fallen in love :D

Hello Neil,

Hello Mr Parry,

Yes im OK, 3 weeks today i'll be on the plane :o

I agree the OP is to young. I would'nt say it was a small sum, just to small to retire on. Maybe he needs to think about ways of investing but in the present climate not an easy task.

Where about do you live in Thailand anyway?

Live near Roi-Et and building another in Bang Saray (big ba$tard, 6000 sq.ft on 1.7 rai overlooking the bay, NICE!!!)

I'm home in a week, tops.

What was it, £200k. He'll burn through that in Thailand. That place is remorseless and unforgiving.

I'd want:

100,000 Baht per month to enable overseas travel etc etc

Worst case:

5.5% interest - no risk

2.5 % inflation and reinvested

3% drawn from capital

50 Baht to the pound to be on the safe side

So, I'd need 800,000 GBP to earn the 100.000 baht a month and not worry TOO much about inflation and exchange rates.

If the exchange rate is better, great - I can have more holidays

Some folks will dis me down for this but I dont want to live like a Thai and if I am going to benefit from living in Thailand, I want to live well.

Yep, thats it 800 grand

I'd want:

100,000 Baht per month to enable overseas travel etc etc

Worst case:

5.5% interest - no risk

2.5 % inflation and reinvested

3% drawn from capital

50 Baht to the pound to be on the safe side

So, I'd need 800,000 GBP to earn the 100.000 baht a month and not worry TOO much about inflation and exchange rates.

If the exchange rate is better, great - I can have more holidays

Some folks will dis me down for this but I dont want to live like a Thai and if I am going to benefit from living in Thailand, I want to live well.

Yep, thats it 800 grand

The way fiat currency's going, deflation then likely severe inflation, none us will ever stop working.

If you are single, the minimum needed to live normally, would be around 70,000bt / month.

Others will disagree. :o

In Bangkok, Samui and Phuket, which is where most of the action is, I'd agree on about 60 - 100k baht per month.

The provinces much less. 40k baht will get you a lot.

My own retirement funding calculation is based on what it would cost to live comfortably in Europe - not on what it would cost to live in Thailand.

My reasoning for this is with the exception of the very very few who obtain permanent resident status, all the rest of the foreigners in Thailand are guests, as such they need to be able to return home if for some reason they are no longer able to remain as 'guests' in Thailand.

The biggest problem with retiring early but with insufficient funds is that unless you are extremely fortunate you will at some point run out of money - Let's say for arguments sake that a guy retires early to Thailand and spends up in 5 years time - Returning to work after 5 years may not be possible, stretch that to 10 years and finding well paid work for most would be impossible.

The arguments about how much is required are as varied as the individuals who reply, we all of us have our own ideas of how much we need to live, how much of a safety net we require (if at all) but a factor many fail to consider is the costs they are going to incur when they inevitably get into a relationship with a woman in Thailand - I reckon those who get away with setting up home costs of less than Bht2 million should be smiling happily for having done so at such a bargain price. A house, furniture, white goods, a car, and then kids can punch a serious hole in almost anyone's budget.

And that's just the guys living overseas, earning overseas and planning to move to Thailand, I can only wonder how anyone without some serious capital behind them can live on a local Thai wage and save enough to guarantee their retirement.

Let us not forget too, many an Farang in Thailand marries a woman ten or more years younger than himself, perhaps having children and becoming a late middle aged/old aged father - How many have planned their finances to take care of their family after they've shuffled off this life I wonder?

If you are single, the minimum needed to live normally, would be around 70,000bt / month.

Others will disagree. :o

In Bangkok, Samui and Phuket, which is where most of the action is, I'd agree on about 60 - 100k baht per month.

The provinces much less. 40k baht will get you a lot.

But who wants to sit in a province year in year out? Retirement, to me atleast, is about travel.

for sure, some months you might only blow 30K - lets say 3 months, but on the 4th you might drop 300K on a trip to outer Mongolia. Who knows? To me, 40K as your only budget would suck.

He must of been one numb, dumb millionaire, a wise one would of invested half and lived like a prince for many years without batting an eyelid.

35 baht to the pound is very unlikely, just because it was during the heady days in the 1990s when 35 baht got you a lot more than it does now, doesn't mean it's gonna drop like a stone again. Ye of little faith :o

My own retirement funding calculation is based on what it would cost to live comfortably in Europe - not on what it would cost to live in Thailand.

My reasoning for this is with the exception of the very very few who obtain permanent resident status, all the rest of the foreigners in Thailand are guests, as such they need to be able to return home if for some reason they are no longer able to remain as 'guests' in Thailand.

The biggest problem with retiring early but with insufficient funds is that unless you are extremely fortunate you will at some point run out of money - Let's say for arguments sake that a guy retires early to Thailand and spends up in 5 years time - Returning to work after 5 years may not be possible, stretch that to 10 years and finding well paid work for most would be impossible.

The arguments about how much is required are as varied as the individuals who reply, we all of us have our own ideas of how much we need to live, how much of a safety net we require (if at all) but a factor many fail to consider is the costs they are going to incur when they inevitably get into a relationship with a woman in Thailand - I reckon those who get away with setting up home costs of less than Bht2 million should be smiling happily for having done so at such a bargain price. A house, furniture, white goods, a car, and then kids can punch a serious hole in almost anyone's budget.

And that's just the guys living overseas, earning overseas and planning to move to Thailand, I can only wonder how anyone without some serious capital behind them can live on a local Thai wage and save enough to guarantee their retirement.

Let us not forget too, many an Farang in Thailand marries a woman ten or more years younger than himself, perhaps having children and becoming a late middle aged/old aged father - How many have planned their finances to take care of their family after they've shuffled off this life I wonder?

Just out of interest - what does a guy working in the Saudi sand pitt consider enough to retire to Europe? Cheers