แต่นื่หรือนี่

tgeezer

ผู้เขียนไม่ต้องการให้ท่านพิมพ์ด้วยความรวดเร็ว แต่ ปราศจากความแม่นยำหรือไม่ถูกต้อง

If the concensus is that this makes sense I will take another look, but I have puzzled over it for ages already. If I make แต่ mean 'will result in' then of course it is ok but I am assuming it is a conjunction, 'but'. So I get, '....don't need speed but rather avoid certainty or mistakes'( or words to that effect).

My brain hurts now, as I look at it it floats into making sense then floats out again, I leave it to you.

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I can tell you I also don't get it.

If it would say ความไม่แม่นยำ I could guess what it means.

The author doesn't want to let you print it quickly but without inaccuracy or mistakes.

Edited by kriswillems

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I can tell you I also don't get it.

If it would say ความไม่แม่นยำ I could guess what it means.

The author doesn't want to let you print it quickly but without unaccuracy or mistakes.

Yes, you think as I do. On the way back from Hashibang the bell 'rang' though and it made sense. If it is an adverbial clause of the verb 'need' eg. need 'only' good food then the two things which are wanted are no inaccuracy and no mistakes. Therefore I say, ผู็้เขียนไม่ต้องการ.........แต่ต้องการปราศจากแม่นยำและไม่ถูกต้อง in this case a 'but' a conjuction, I hope. 'Or' in my first example means and/or to me, does that throw you too. someone who knows grammer will perhaps fix it.

Edited by tgeezer

is this the meaning you were intending?

วัตถุประสงค์ของผู้เขียนคือให้ท่านพิมพ์ด้วยความรวดเร็ว อย่างแม่นยำ และประศจากข้อผิดพลาด

Alternatively,

"ผู้เขียนไม่ต้องการให้ท่านพิมพ์ด้วยความรวดเร็ว แต่ ปราศจากความผิดพลาดหรือไม่ถูกต้อง"

"I would rather you sacrifice speed to achieve accuracy and understandability."

is this the meaning you were intending?

วัตถุประสงค์ของผู้เขียนคือให้ท่านพิมพ์ด้วยความรวดเร็ว อย่างแม่นยำ และประศจากข้อผิดพลาด

Sorry I should have put it in context. It is not a piece of prose of my creation it is from instructions in the notes of a typing course. Is ผิดพลาด not more to meaning of what is written? This is day three so just training the memory hand and eye. Yours would apply to the more advance sort of typist, what do you think ?

Alternatively,

"ผู้เขียนไม่ต้องการให้ท่านพิมพ์ด้วยความรวดเร็ว แต่ ปราศจากความผิดพลาดหรือไม่ถูกต้อง"

"I would rather you sacrifice speed to achieve accuracy and understandability."

Thanks, apologies as above.

Ohh.. ok. I thought you were translating a manual of some sorts.

It's also touching on a topic close to my heart - touch typing on foreign keyboards. One great thing about Thai is that it's built up in syllabic blocks - and as you type more, you realise high frequency of certain syllable blocks in particular. The drills that you do in such courses are going to be really helpful in getting your hands to drop in 'syllable chords' which will really speed your typing up - perhaps even faster than in English :o

Ohh.. ok. I thought you were translating a manual of some sorts.

It's also touching on a topic close to my heart - touch typing on foreign keyboards. One great thing about Thai is that it's built up in syllabic blocks - and as you type more, you realise high frequency of certain syllable blocks in particular. The drills that you do in such courses are going to be really helpful in getting your hands to drop in 'syllable chords' which will really speed your typing up - perhaps even faster than in English :o

That is good to hear. I am English so didn't learn at school and decided that the numbers were too much of a stretch and have discovered that not to be the case.

On the thread, I think in this case แต่ is a conjunction meaning 'but' as we would say it "quick job" (which is good) " but shoddy" (which is bad) If the two phrases were compatable the conjunction would be และ Is that correct does any one know? Hoping for Thai input: don't want to mislead anyone.

Edited by tgeezer

ผู้เขียนไม่ต้องการให้ท่านพิมพ์ด้วยความรวดเร็ว แต่ ปราศจากความแม่นยำหรือไม่ถูกต้อง

This sentence is correct. The conjuction แต่ is correct.

It means "The author don't want you to type fast BUT get inaccurate and incorrect job.". So, when you practice typing you should concentrate on accuracy and correctness too, not just try to type it fast.

It means "The author don't want you to type fast BUT get inaccurate and incorrect job.". So, when you practice typing you should concentrate on accuracy and correctness too, not just try to type it fast.

Mercy buckets

Sorry. I think I made a mistake. I'm not sure if my English was the same as I thought in Thai or not. :o

What if I translate this sentence to "The author don't want you to type fast but without accuracy or incorrect.", are they the same?

I just know it implies that when you practice typing you should concentrate on accuracy and correctness too, not just try to type it fast.

Edited by yoot

Could "แต่" have the meaning of "only" in this sentence?

"the writer doesn't want you to type fast, only (resulting in) to make inaccuracies".

Sorry. I think I made a mistake. I'm not sure if my English was the same as I thought in Thai or not. :o

What if I translate this sentence to "The author don't want you to type fast but without accuracy or incorrect.", are they the same?

I just know it implies that when you practice typing you should concentrate on accuracy and correctness too, not just try to type it fast.

I can say that the first try we would not use 'get ' in English. The second try is ok, but a translation of Thai using English words, I think it is called 'anglish', in that direction and what most of us do is called 'Thaigrit' in the other direction, or perhaps vice versa. In English I would say " the writer does not want you to sacrifice acurracy for speed."

I think that I only want to understand the overall meaning for now. I knew what 'ต้องการ ' and 'หรือ ' meant so thought I understood enough. Because I am learning structure now I wanted to know whether 'แต่ ' was a conjuction or an adverb. นอกเหนือจากนั้นครับคุณหยุด ผมอยากถามว่า แม่นยำกับถูกต้อง มีความหมายครงกันไหม It is good practise, even if wrong.

Edited by tgeezer

I can say that the first try we would not use 'get ' in English. The second try is ok, but a translation of Thai using English words, I think it is called 'anglish', in that direction and what most of us do is called 'Thaigrit' in the other direction, or perhaps vice versa. In English I would say " the writer does not want you to sacrifice acurracy for speed."

I think that I only want to understand the overall meaning for now. I knew what 'ต้องการ ' and 'หรือ ' meant so thought I understood enough. Because I am learning structure now I wanted to know whether 'แต่ ' was a conjuction or an adverb. นอกเหนือจากนั้นครับคุณหยุด ผมอยากถามว่า แม่นยำกับถูกต้อง มีความหมายครงกันไหม It is good practise, even if wrong.

Is there a phrase after this? I feel like it is saying that "the writer doesn't want you to type fast-BUT-without-accuracy-and-incorrectly" (the whole clause being the mode of typing) then there might be a phrase following it telling you how he would like you to type. This phrase seems to just tell you how the writer doesn't want you to type, mainly fast and without accuracy, as other posters have already told us. The whole clause is "how you type." Rather than using แต่ to separate two opposing clauses, namely, typing quickly and something we would expect to be counter to typing quickly, namely, WITH accuracy and correctness.

As to your question "แม่นยำกับถูกต้อง มีความหมายครงกันไหม" yes they have a comparatively similar meaning, and both are in the negative in this sentence one by means of ปราศจาก and the other ไม่

Could "แต่" have the meaning of "only" in this sentence?

"the writer doesn't want you to type fast, only (resulting in) to make inaccuracies".

I think it is a little out of my depth, but that is the thread. If the clause in question were not in the negative then it could be an adverb expanding on the verb 'type' but as it is, I think conjuction is correct. Perhaps someone who has been reading and writing more in his life would know.

Is there a phrase after this? I feel like it is saying that "the writer doesn't want you to type fast-BUT-without-accuracy-and-incorrectly" (the whole clause being the mode of typing) then there might be a phrase following it telling you how he would like you to type. This phrase seems to just tell you how the writer doesn't want you to type, mainly fast and without accuracy, as other posters have already told us. The whole clause is "how you type." Rather than using แต่ to separate two opposing clauses, namely, typing quickly and something we would expect to be counter to typing quickly, namely, WITH accuracy and correctness.

Nothing after this but this follows an exhortation not to proceed to the next exercise before accuracy has been achieved with the former exercise, in order to gain expertise, therefore slowly practise the next exercise. It then says เนื่องจากทางผู้เขียน ฯลฯ which I assumed was 'because', another conjunction. Do you think that I should have put that in?

Edited by tgeezer

Thanks for that. I think I always write in 'Thaigrit' as others often told me that my English always has Thai structure in it. :o

แม่นยำ and ถูกต้อง have similar meanings but not exactly the same. They can't be used interchangeably.

You'd often see they are often used together ถูกต้องและแม่นยำ.

If you type every single words correctly, then your typing is ถูกต้อง . But if you miss out some space or punctuation mark when it's important, then your typing is ไม่แม่นยำ.

quote]

Thanks for that. I think I always write in 'Thaigrit' as others often told me that my English always has Thai structure in it. :o

You come by that honestly at least. I think that the way we speak should reflect our origin, which is a happy situation for few people have the time to make it otherwise. Thanks for the info.