Why Are Local Forums Different?

colonelsing

I am wondering about something, and I do not mean to offend anyone but perhaps someone can explain this. I used to read and also write posts to both Chiang Mai forum and Central Thailand forum, as I had connections to both places. I continue to read them both even though I am currently not in Thailand. For some reason, in the CM forum, there are alot of times when a person will ask for help with something and then there are a number of replies which are either sarcastic or downright nasty. Then there are other times when the whole topic is forgotten and then there is alot of political ranting or complaining about Thailand and the Thais and nothing about helping the person with the original question. In the Central Forum I never see this happen. The replies are always helpful and sincere, at least from what I have seen.

This is not to say there are not many people in CM forum who are helpful and sincere, because the majority of the regular contributors are. I am just saying the Central Forum seems to me to be, in general, more mature and considerate. Is this because different kinds of people live there than in Chiang Mai? Or is there some other reason for this?

I do not mean to offend CM people. I love Chiang Mai and many people there are wonderful, but I think maybe some of the people there know what I am talking about.

I am wondering about something, and I do not mean to offend anyone but perhaps someone can explain this. I used to read and also write posts to both Chiang Mai forum and Central Thailand forum, as I had connections to both places. I continue to read them both even though I am currently not in Thailand. For some reason, in the CM forum, there are alot of times when a person will ask for help with something and then there are a number of replies which are either sarcastic or downright nasty. Then there are other times when the whole topic is forgotten and then there is alot of political ranting or complaining about Thailand and the Thais and nothing about helping the person with the original question. In the Central Forum I never see this happen. The replies are always helpful and sincere, at least from what I have seen.

This is not to say there are not many people in CM forum who are helpful and sincere, because the majority of the regular contributors are. I am just saying the Central Forum seems to me to be, in general, more mature and considerate. Is this because different kinds of people live there than in Chiang Mai? Or is there some other reason for this?

I do not mean to offend CM people. I love Chiang Mai and many people there are wonderful, but I think maybe some of the people there know what I am talking about.

Spend sometime around me mate and I will change your opinion of those fine folk in Chiang Mai. You know the saying , the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, well in Bangkok we don't have no grass. :o

Colonelsing.......Should change this to a poll but in the order of nastiness I think Chang Mai comes in third. Bangkok and Pattaya are way ahead for nasty posters. It appears that some take pride in their nastiness. Should give a annual award to the nastiest of them all.

:o

Bendix would win handsdown. But I reckon I could garner a few second place votes. :D

Colonelsing.......Should change this to a poll but in the order of nastiness I think Chang Mai comes in third. Bangkok and Pattaya are way ahead for nasty posters. It appears that some take pride in their nastiness. Should give a annual award to the nastiest of them all.

Bendix would win handsdown. But I reckon I could garner a few second place votes. :D

Don't want to upset Bendix but I would put you on the top of the list bkkjames, you do have a knack for being nasty. Not sure if that is a genetic trait or if you have to practice to become really good? :D

Don't want to upset Bendix but I would put you on the top of the list bkkjames, you do have a knack for being nasty. Not sure if that is a genetic trait or if you have to practice to become really good? :D

and i see it's rubbing off :D

Obviously you haven't seen Phuket section, they take the cake. Petty jealousies, big characters behind the keyboards at the end of their rope. <snip> seem to be much better place to get objective opinion.

Edited by Jai Dee
URL deleted as per forum rules

At least you are a good nasty cause you have a sense of humour. :o

shhhh,. don't tell anyone, they might think i actually live in Chiang Mai. But back to the OP's question, I do notice that things in the subforums are a how to say a bit more liberal on the policing front. Check out the Pattaya forum for an example. Chiang Mai is a walk in the park compared to that group :D

I might now re-double my efforts to be nasty so as not to feel left out.

I might crank it all the way up to being a right C**t, or would complete tosser suffice?

sorry, complete tosser has been taken. Would insignificant troll be ok?

Ooooh, you bitch.

I'll settle for utter pr*ck instead I think. :o

So in mastering the technique of being nasty. Do you think it is best to be nasty to a whole community or just to a individual. Which is the most effective to get in the "hall of fame of nastiness"?

I think we are being watched.

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

Look way way down.... Time for some self-moderation. Sorry, no booze since last friday's un-official tv p-up. :o

Lol... You two never even noticed when you were going at it, at one point, there were no less than THREE ADMINS reading this thread (including george)..

its the one's in red I worry about, based on the date one admin had last friday night, i wanna know where to sign up.

The subforums do attract their own special groups, the nicest sub forum imo interms of general banter & helpfulness is the Issan section, followed by central.

Samui, Pattaya, Phuket & Cm seem to bring out some real nasties & I dont know if it is to do with the larger percentage of farangs in those regions or if the type of people who settle in those areas tend to be of the more agressive/opinionated/troll like variety? :o

One of the reasons I think central & Issan are more kinder is that those areas are less set up for the farang community so posters tend to want to help each other out more as they may need somethign back later on. Just my view on it.

But to the op, if you ever see posts you think are not acceptable or out of order please do use the report button & someone on the mod team will have a look.

Spend sometime around me mate and I will change your opinion of those fine folk in Chiang Mai. You know the saying , the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, well in Bangkok we don't have no grass. :o

Do you get many shallow, glory hunters in Chang Mai?