Used Car Values In Thailand

mnbcm

Is there a place I can go to find car values in Thailand similar to Kelley Blue Book (www.kbb.com)? All used cars I've looked at seem way overpriced in Thailand. Is this normal? Thanks for help!

Yes, it's normal. Usually you are better off buying new.

Check out this site www.one2car . Pretty easy to navigate. Lots of cars for sale here through dealerships. It will give you an idea of what a model is selling for. Thais will always tell you " Don't buy from a tent dealership " as there are a lot of rip off artists out there. This is not necessarily true. Providing you know a bit about cars and car dealers there should be no reason to worry. The recommended way of purchasing a secondhand car is to get a ' Rot Bahn ' .... a private sale. All I can say about this is that if anything you are more likely to be conned unless you know the seller.

Another site is www.unseencar.com .

Finally, it pays to shop around and be patient. Do the research properly and you can find a nice car for under 200,000 baht.

Check out this site www.one2car . Pretty easy to navigate. Lots of cars for sale here through dealerships. It will give you an idea of what a model is selling for. Thais will always tell you " Don't buy from a tent dealership " as there are a lot of rip off artists out there. This is not necessarily true. Providing you know a bit about cars and car dealers there should be no reason to worry. The recommended way of purchasing a secondhand car is to get a ' Rot Bahn ' .... a private sale. All I can say about this is that if anything you are more likely to be conned unless you know the seller.

Another site is www.unseencar.com .

Finally, it pays to shop around and be patient. Do the research properly and you can find a nice car for under 200,000 baht.

It depents, what the poster looking for. If he looking for a 5 year old Beamer or a 12 year old Japanese car. Japanese cars are overpriced and for 200'k he maybe get a 95 Corolla or maybe just a 96 Soluna someting like that. Price depend much on quality. You find a piece of sh... maybe 30 grand cheaper than a good one, but it's not worth to buy it, because you gonnna spend more time and money to fix it. If he looking for a car not over 3 year old "japs", than it's better to buy a new one, because the price difference is nut that much.

It depents, what the poster looking for. If he looking for a 5 year old Beamer or a 12 year old Japanese car. Japanese cars are overpriced and for 200'k he maybe get a 95 Corolla or maybe just a 96 Soluna someting like that. Price depend much on quality. You find a piece of sh... maybe 30 grand cheaper than a good one, but it's not worth to buy it, because you gonnna spend more time and money to fix it. If he looking for a car not over 3 year old "japs", than it's better to buy a new one, because the price difference is nut that much.

I'm looking at a 97 Honda City with 126,000km on it.

Anyone reckon we could see big deflation in used car prices over the next year?

Thailand's been flooded with motors over the past ten years and the current bonkers prices must be about to tumble.

I think we are already seeing this.. And will see it accelerate as more cars come into the second hand market and the global economic picture starts to bite harder (especially applies to the tourist areas I live in).. Thais I have known simply put everything they have into cars on the faint hope that business will continue to expand year on year forever.

Recently seen an 06 fortuna for 850 asking... an almost new condition 07 vigo 3l for 650 asking (and aint getting it).. A buddy called and said a contact up north had called him where thier local garage usually had 3 - 5 pickups on the forecourt now had 15 or so.. Offered a 1 year old ranger with all options and toys for 400 asking.. Dmaxes and the like even less.. A mate took a huge haircut to get rid of a D-Max and get a new Honda civic, all while saying to me that you dont lose money buying new here !!! The depreciation curve is shifting with a steeper initial drop and through the midrange.. However the market is still really empty at the bottom (say 250 down) where 10 and 15 year old cars still command prices that make little sense over an extra 100k for a much newer one.

Edited by LivinLOS

I used to own a 98 honda city, manual with 80K on the clock. 4.5 years ago a car tent took it off our hands for 245K. Looking at websites today it is selling for about that much! I probably could have gotten 280K private, but wanted my new car fast, so wasn't bothered. I guess the car tent will have them for 200-250K now. It's a good reliable car, the earlier city, but get the 1.5L engine not the 1.3. The later Z model (1999-2002) also was a vtec engine, even better!

August 2004 bought a Honda Jazz new for 603,000 baht, sold last month to a 'Tent' got 465,000.. [notice they were asking 515,000, last week driving by noticed was no longer there...Sold??]

it was unmarked and full service history with a very small stone chip otherwise it looked brand new.

So if it sold for that price it lost 88,000 baht in just over 4 years !

Any advice on the car and truck sales by the Mee Chok plaza, north of Chiang Mai?

Was browsing for a pickup truck this weekend; found that it felt like a dealership and not the private sales I was told were there. Also they did want to give very much leeway for negotiating. Find it's not in my to buy a used vehicle unless; the price has a little breathing or can bid at auctions. Spent many a year buying my vehicles from Japanese auctions, gonna miss that.

Cheers

August 2004 bought a Honda Jazz new for 603,000 baht, sold last month to a 'Tent' got 465,000.. [notice they were asking 515,000, last week driving by noticed was no longer there...Sold??]

it was unmarked and full service history with a very small stone chip otherwise it looked brand new.

How does 603k to 465k make 88k lost ??? You need to use some really twisted logic to think that a dealers asking price shows a users depreciation !!

The Jazz also benefited from the new car price rising a couple of times, which I agree helped the second hand value in that model..

I sold one last month at 225'k, it was a Z Type. You should beable to get it for the same price, just a little bit over 220'k if it's fitted with a auto gear box.

Personally i think used car prices gona rise a little bit. For example, cheap cars (below 150'k) almost nothing on the market. Exeption if it's a junk. Many carbrands are desepierd on the Thai Market. For Example: NO Fiat, Renault, Peugeot, Holdens, Hyundais, Opels, Daewoos, VW, etc. All this brands was sold new about 12 year ago in large amounts. But most of them not in the market anymore. So all this cheap used cars are gone. Just a example. It's almost impossible to find a cheap Hyundai Scoupe (2 door sporty car) or a cheap Opel Corsa, anymore. And if you find one, it still cost about 130 to 160'k for a "junk", same prise as 10 years ago.

Other Problem: down Payment for new cars rises rapidly. Today Toyota want 20 or 25% for down payment. 2 years ago only 10% so with 10% for a Vios, let's say 60'k everybody like to buy a new car. But if the downpayment rises to 120 to 140'k, most of people will consider for a used car.

How does 603k to 465k make 88k lost ??? You need to use some really twisted logic to think that a dealers asking price shows a users depreciation !!

The Jazz also benefited from the new car price rising a couple of times, which I agree helped the second hand value in that model..

So if it sold for that price it lost 88,000 baht in just over 4 years

Read what I said......... I did NOT say I lost 88k, the dealer was asking 515k... I paid 603k on the 2nd August 2004, on the 15th October 2008 it was being sold for 515k..

Read what I said......... I did NOT say I lost 88k, the dealer was asking 515k... I paid 603k on the 2nd August 2004, on the 15th October 2008 it was being sold for 515k..

But there is the thing. Someone with brain wouln't buy a 4 year old car only 88'k cheaper than a new one. Doesn't make sense. This kind of things only happen in asia countries. It look like Toyota and Honda are "holy items" in Thailand. If it's a Ford Laser for example, it would lose the 50% of the new price and basycly it's the same.

Likewise on the older car….. having spent a few weeks driving around Tents prices for Honda or Toyota are crazy.

12 year old Honda Civic, lots for sale around 200k

12 year old Toyota 1.5 or 1.6 lt and again around 200k

Or the other hand

12 year old Audi A6, Volvo 850, Saab 900 or 9000, VW Passat, are around the same price, also lots for sale yet cost 3 or 4x more when new. Or what about a 2000 – 2002 Skoda Octava, noticed 5 different ones from 199k – 238k

Ask a Thai the answer is simple, Honda and Toyota you can get parts anywhere + repair at any garage or back street boy cheap, and for newer cars it is easier to get credit on a second hand car.

I did read what you said.. You said the car lost 88k in 4 years based on the asking price of a tent dealer.. If the tent dealer puts a sticker on it for 603k does that mean it lost nothing ??

The amount a car depreciates is what you sell it for after owning it.. As I agreed the jazz actually benefited due to the price of the jazz rising over time so the second hand market values also held up well..

I did read what you said.. You said the car lost 88k in 4 years based on the asking price of a tent dealer.. If the tent dealer puts a sticker on it for 603k does that mean it lost nothing ??

The amount a car depreciates is what you sell it for after owning it.. As I agreed the jazz actually benefited due to the price of the jazz rising over time so the second hand market values also held up well..

The Thread was:

Used Car Values In Thailand

So the value of the Jazz in October 2008 was 88k less then new price in 2004........ I also noticed plenty of other 'AS' Jazz For Sale from 480 -535K for 2004 models

This one is being sold for 140k. Does that sound reasonable? Seems like it should be half that but I'm used to U.S. used prices.

140k ? :o:D :D Hang off buying for a while , loads of cars are starting to hit the market , and motorbikes , Thais are getting the hang of auctions , and there have been quite a few happening , the only problem is getting to know where they are going to be , carparks of shopping centres seem to be a popular venue , no shoppers I guess , so plenty of room to do it . They roll the cars in late afternoon , and flog em off in the evening , sanook mak :D

This one is being sold for 140k. Does that sound reasonable? Seems like it should be half that but I'm used to U.S. used prices.

140k ? :o:D :D Hang off buying for a while , loads of cars are starting to hit the market , and motorbikes , Thais are getting the hang of auctions , and there have been quite a few happening , the only problem is getting to know where they are going to be , carparks of shopping centres seem to be a popular venue , no shoppers I guess , so plenty of room to do it . They roll the cars in late afternoon , and flog em off in the evening , sanook mak :D

140'k is very low. Automatic or manual ( different prices) Not Local Citizen would sell it for 140'k unless if it something wrong or car is in bad condition, because the finance company still offer 170' to 200'k for a 97' City if it's automatic. Market saleprises are just a little over 220'k. Ifr car is ok' you should buy immidently. Make sure there is no payment's in the finance to do, check engine and VIN number. US prices can forget, youll never beable to find one for 70'k

140k ? :o:D:D Hang off buying for a while , loads of cars are starting to hit the market , and motorbikes , Thais are getting the hang of auctions , and there have been quite a few happening , the only problem is getting to know where they are going to be , carparks of shopping centres seem to be a popular venue , no shoppers I guess , so plenty of room to do it . They roll the cars in late afternoon , and flog em off in the evening , sanook mak :D

140'k is very low. Automatic or manual ( different prices) Not Local Citizen would sell it for 140'k unless if it something wrong or car is in bad condition, because the finance company still offer 170' to 200'k for a 97' City if it's automatic. Market saleprises are just a little over 220'k. Ifr car is ok' you should buy immidently. Make sure there is no payment's in the finance to do, check engine and VIN number. US prices can forget, youll never beable to find one for 70'k

Yesd I agree the price is very low, especially if it is a 1.5. I would get the car properly checked, especially for accident damage.

Reckon on Ford Ranger or Mitsubishi L200, 2002 to 2005. Sensible(ish) prices, offer good utility and durability, won't go down too much in price, probably always get parts for them without having to pay Toyota or Honda premiums.

I'm a tight sod when it comes to vehicles. Used to getting used cars in the UK for less than a £1000. Last one cost me £800 and lasted 5 years. Just sold it for £300. Citroen Xantia TD.

EDIT: For newer motors looks like the Mazda BT50 is pretty good value.

Edited by MJP

I ended up buying it for 140k. It's automatic with low mileage (or is it kilometage? ha!) Thanks for the opinions!