Meaning Of: แด่นี้นะ

RealityCheck

Could someone please explain the meaning of:

แด่นี้นะ

It 'seems' to be used as a conversation terminator, as we would use "Cheers" or "So-long" or "Catch you later" in English.

A definition and transcription (for pronounciation purposes) would be really useful as I'm hearing it multiple times each day, and can't get my head around it. Is it used only between certain groups of people, eg friends but not strangers, etc? Can it be broken down into smaller, meaningful words?

Many Thanks.

แด่นี้นะ

It 'seems' to be used as a conversation terminator, as we would use "Cheers" or "So-long" or "Catch you later" in English.

A definition and transcription (for pronounciation purposes) would be really useful as I'm hearing it multiple times each day, and can't get my head around it. Is it used only between certain groups of people, eg friends but not strangers, etc? Can it be broken down into smaller, meaningful words?

Many Thanks.

Hi I think you meanแค่นี้นะ

I guess you could translate as แค่ = only , not more

นี้ = this

นะ = ok.

แด่นี้นะ

A definition and transcription (for pronounciation purposes) would be really useful as I'm hearing it multiple times each day, and can't get my head around it. Is it used only between certain groups of people, eg friends but not strangers, etc? Can it be broken down into smaller, meaningful words?Many Thanks.

Wrong word 'finger trouble' but incidentally แด่ is nice to know it is used in place of แก่ to show respect.

ฉันให้ของขวัญวันเกดแด่คุณแม่

Edited by tgeezer

Thanks everyone - that clears it up nicely.

Yes - Sorry - I do suffer from finger trouble when typing - happens when I type English also :o

Thanks sigeena for that very clear explanation.

Thinking about it, I 'have' heard it mostly used whilst people are on the phone.

Cheers.

Strangely that was one of the first phrases I picked up when I moved here. It was that I misheard what people were saying when they talked on their mobile phones. At first I thought they were saying the english word, "Canada", just before they hung up, lol. As other posters pointed out แค่นี้นะ is mostly a phone phrase, much like; อยู่ไหนเนี่ย

While my misheard words were amusing it was nothing compared to my sister's first sojourn here. When I picked her up at the airport, she asked why everyone was saying "sweaty cow" (สวัสดีค่ะ) and "my cow died" (ไม่เข้าใจ), as that was what her ears heard.

I use แค่นี้ or แค่นี้ครับ (picked it up from listening to Thai friends) after ordering in Thai restaurants when several items have been ordered. It's like saying to the waiter or waitress "That's it" or "That's all."

Edited by Groongthep
  • Thanks 1

• 13 years later...
13 hours ago, 2009 said:

Is it polite to say to a friend?

Wrong question.  Thais are not "polite" to friends, they are "polite" to strangers.

Answer to the question:

Yes. Thais use it with friends and family. 

It's not exactly very sweet and charming, but sweet and charming language is for strangers,  not for friends and family. 

Thais don't end a phone call to a business,  a grab driver or an office with this phrase. 

I hardly use it on the phone.

I do use it when I order things (like Groongthep said).

• 11 months later...