Will Your Business Still Be Open Next Year

As far a what businesses are "owned" by foreigners, this is the information I asked for earlier.

Don't forget that bars also make money on prostitution. Girls taken out are done so after paying a "bar fine," or so I am told...

By the way, the bar fine in Lamai is 300 baht (200 baht some places). If you are in the Combat Zone in Taipei, however, you'll be paying the bar the equivalent of 7,000 baht bar fine!

or so I am told.. :o

well new year peak season is in 6 weeks and then we can see if there is a slow down.

while the world is in a crisis Thailand is still very cheap (even after undervaluation currencies) compared with the western world and other destinations.

a cost of a holiday in Samui including accommodations ,extras on going out, shopping and even a lady companionship, is still very attractive and cheap compared with other holiday destinations.

however , I believe this year many chaweng and lamai businesses will feel a slow down.

other areas have been developed and offer nicer hotels and services. this is a continuing process over the past 4 years. and Menahm bang por and even banrak and the southern parts are now more developed and are attracting tourist that previously would have been in chaweng and lamai .

If there is a downturn i hope its not too bad...........for the bar owners and their girls to resorts,massage ladies etc.particularly the thai workers here on Samui,life can be hard enough in good times for them and of course the people in the villages who depend on the extra their offspring send home.I will do my bit to help.

Don't forget that bars also make money on prostitution. Girls taken out are done so after paying a "bar fine," or so I am told...

By the way, the bar fine in Lamai is 300 baht (200 baht some places). If you are in the Combat Zone in Taipei, however, you'll be paying the bar the equivalent of 7,000 baht bar fine!

Sound expensive....

Where is Combat Zone? Lot's of time in Taipei but never found a take-out bar... :o

As far a what businesses are "owned" by foreigners, this is the information I asked for earlier.

'or so i am told".for someone who is implying they dont partake you seem to know a lot about it!

It seems clear to me that this question leaves much to be desired without also including, "and what is your business?"
some business owners will be glad to see the back of the peripheral bars and certainly the bars only open for the bar owner to indulge his alcoholism, possibly a good time for a clear out, plenty of opportunities for the smart bar owner here i think

Peripheral bars? In Lamai, there must be 60 bars or more. What bars are you referring to that are, well, I will put words in your mouth here: "mainstream bars"?

I don't think that Outback cares one whit about the girlie bars everywhere. And Bauhaus recently closed 75 percent of their area (it stands abandoned as I write) and I would have considered that place almost an institution here.

Opportunities for the "smart bar owner"? Who are they? It seems to me that almost anyone who buys into a girlie bar, or refurbishes one, is borderline insane. Unless, of course, the aim is to break even (ie, enable one to stay in Thailand living a static life). Now I am aware that some bars make money, but I think if the owners of most of the bars here fessed up, the story would be one of barely breaking even or losing money (and the resale proposition including the sword of Damocles hanging over your head in the guise of the notorious key money).

Someone recently confirmed what I always suspected regarding bar ownership, peripheral or not, and that is, "If you don't have a lot of friends here [who will frequent your bar] you shouldn't open a bar in the first place."

Also, I have a university degree in business management and ran several eateries, once upon a time, and I wouldn't want to have a bar here. And I consider myself to be "smart" (some may debate that...).

Certainly I understand the, "I don't want to go back to [insert home country] so I have a bar since I can't work my usual job here [or don't have any real marketable skills that are needed in Thailand/Samui] and just breaking even keeps me here, so it's acceptable." But from what I have seen over the last almost three years, it's a less than salubrious way to earn a paltry existence.

And I can only think of one bar in Lamai where the foreign "owner" is a class AAA prick, who indulges in delusions of grandeur and is grounded in the reality of being sodden every night. Although many of the "group of friends" bars are very clique-ish, you can usually pull up a chair and have a civil evening.

It would be useful for those who have answered before to re-post telling us what business we are talking about. The impact of the possible downturn in tourist numbers is different for different businesses.

Firstly. At what point did I mention girlie bars?

Secondly. Look up the definition of peripheral you clearly did not understand the context in which it was used.

Third. Business management/studies are considered micky mouse courses for former polytechnic students who couldn't quite make the grade please don't flatter yourself to much.

As far a what businesses are "owned" by foreigners, this is the information I asked for earlier. Don't forget that bars also make money on prostitution. Girls taken out are done so after paying a "bar fine," or so I am told... By the way, the bar fine in Lamai is 300 baht (200 baht some places). If you are in the Combat Zone in Taipei, however, you'll be paying the bar the equivalent of 7,000 baht bar fine!

Do we have prostitution in LOS? really :o

The "bar fine" is only a compensation payment to the bar owner.

If the bar lady not working at the bar, she can not make any income for her boss

with selling alcohol to the customers, therefore you have to pay those bar fine.

Well i think we will see a lot Bars,Restaurants, furniture shops and Real Estate businesses going out of business in the next year. Survival of the Fittest i would say and it may not be a bad thing for the businesses that survive. I believe the reason why my own business is doing well is that we beat prices. People are looking for more for their BAHT and businesses that offer value for money will do ok.

Just got to keep the overheads down and maybe look for a second market to sell in.

Bangkok airways is currently landing 400 people a day down from a low season average of 1200. Thats not a lot of tourists to spread around.

Just got back from a week in Bali. Restaurants full, Hotels full. ...we had a great time.I was in a great position to compare both Bali and Samui. Bali is much cheaper, you get in a taxi at night and they put the meter on. you get to your destination you pay the small amount and leave a good tip. he smiles at you and you smile at him. Its a great feeling. Quality restaurants are very rarely over 1200b for 2 people with drinks.

A good room in a good hotel will cost you around 900b, a luxury bungalow with Balinese bathroom 2700b. beaches were cleaner. There is also an international airport with low cost airlines landing.

When will someone realize that right now samui does not need a Boutique Airline? What it needs is cheaper airfares,cleaner beaches, good roads,cheaper accommodation to be able to compete with the likes of Bali?

By the way can anyone tell me is so boutique about a Bangkok Airways chicken burger and walking 300m in the sun to a departure lounge? :o

Edited by snakehips

As far a what businesses are "owned" by foreigners, this is the information I asked for earlier. Don't forget that bars also make money on prostitution. Girls taken out are done so after paying a "bar fine," or so I am told... By the way, the bar fine in Lamai is 300 baht (200 baht some places). If you are in the Combat Zone in Taipei, however, you'll be paying the bar the equivalent of 7,000 baht bar fine!

Do we have prostitution in LOS? really :o

The "bar fine" is only a compensation payment to the bar owner.

If the bar lady not working at the bar, she can not make any income for her boss

with selling alcohol to the customers, therefore you have to pay those bar fine.

correct, and besides, prostitution is illegal in Thailand :D

Bangkok airways is currently landing 400 people a day down from a low season average of 1200. Thats not a lot of tourists to spread around.

It's raining season, 400 are really a lot!

When will someone realize that right now samui does not need a Boutique Airline? What it needs is cheaper airfares,cleaner beaches, good roads,cheaper accommodation to be able to compete with the likes of Bali?

By the way can anyone tell me is so boutique about a Bangkok Airways chicken burger and walking 300m in the sun to a departure lounge? :D

After a 20 hours and more than 1KE intl flight i don't need a low cost airline, i need a flight every hour to go to sleep in Samui.

With low cost you save 40E, but you do not have a flight every hour, and if you miss the one you payed you pay again.

BKK Airline is a bit costly but they always get me a flight, the first one leaving.

If you do not have intl flight to Samui, the island will never have tour operators, and for me it is good, one Puket is enough.

The problem is that the price of everything in Samui is not corresponding to the service. Resort that go in 3 years from 800b to 3000b, 20% increase of restaurant every december, taxi well, forget abut them. Beach never cleaned, and so on.

Maybe Bali is a good solution.. :o

Maybe after this winter without tourists the situation will improve, or everybody will just double the price to cover the loss and we all go to Bali.

cleaner beaches,safer roads yes,but i like bangkok airways,reliable and friendly services,Samui is or has gone higher end market but you can still find places for 700-800baht a night.

We got stuck buying "business class" flights back to BKK, and I have to say it was quite nice. I'd argue it was better seats and service than United, albeit for a 50 minute flight rather than a 12-hour one.

Samui is a nice place. The taxis piss the living sh!t out of me and have for a decade. The taxis and traffic make me avoid spending money on Samui except as a transit point to Koh Tao.

Next year is going to be rough; anybody thinking otherwise is kidding themselves. Well run businesses will survive, and if the Baht drops enough then tourism won't get completely killed. Poorly run businesses, which is the vast majority from what I have seen, will either need a cash infusion, or will have to reduce costs and eliminate profit. Well run businesses that don't think they are impacted directly by tourist levels will see a time lag--either a leading effect that has already hurt things, or a lagging impact that may not hit for another year.

Personally, my company has an extremely strong cash position and solid backlog, but I worry. I don't expect to lay anybody off, but I will try to operate more efficiently and anticipate a lower profit margin.