Sort Out Your Head First If You Want To Stop Smoking!

JimShortz

Hi there quitters and wanna be quitters!

I feel like this is some sort of AA group for smokers, but if it helps, then why not?

I've quit for a little over a month now after 27 years of smoking - and yes, it is basically EASY. I really can't believe how easy it has been (so far!) and that's the point of my post. We are all conditioned to believe how difficult it is; how we'll never be able to enjoy a drink again, how life will be miserable, always craving cigarettes, we'll be irritable and unable to relax, etc... Bol*ox! NONE of this is true - believe me: not if you have sorted your head out properly (see advice below)

This is how I did it, having for many months been contemplating the idea of quitting:

Got drunk on Friday night, smoked far too much and couldn't face them on Saturday. Consequently I smoked only one cigarette on Saturday. On Sunday morning I woke up, and thought hel_l I'm one day up all ready - that's it then I quit! I then went online and found The Little Online Book of Quitting Smoking (http://www.hypnos.info/book3/book3.html). This is a FREE web based book written by a couple of American psychologists who really knew what smokers think/fear. What it does is challenge all of your fears and preconceptions - helping you to SORT YOUR HEAD OUT! I cannot recommend this enough. I have no association with it, except a deep gratitude to the authors...

I found it extremely useful and read it several times during the first few days. I also used a self hypnosis recording that I'd downloaded as a torrent ages ago (on some vague idea that I would pack in sometime). I only used this a couple of times, when I frst woke up in the morning. This was basically relaxation and breathing exercises along with positive thought reinforcement. One very useful thing it taught me, however, was to take long deep breaths of air when I wanted a cigarette ( only needed during the first few days of quitting). The rush of oxygen, or whatever, satisfies a good portion of the craving feeling and so makes life a lot easier.

I hope this helps somebody - roll on eternal life (non-smokers fantasy belief!)

I quit over 10 years ago now and found it so easy. The thing is you have to want to quit. As long as you do then its easy. I know that I will never have another cigarette again in my life. The thing that made me decide to quit was I finally realised just how much I was spending on them. I was smoking 2 packs every day and if I went out it was 3. Over the month I was spending more on cigs than I was on my mortgage. I figured if I didnt smoke I could have a nice bike. That day the cigs finished and that weekend I had a brand new R1 and the monthly payments were still less than the cigs. In all the best thing I ever did. I didnt realise just how much you stink of cigs till I stopped. I realise now I smelt like an old ashtay all the time. Also food has never tasted so good as well. My taste buds came alive again after all those years. As I said the main thing is wantng to quit so make sure you are trying for the right reasons and then go for it ! GOODLUCK :D:o

• 1 month later...

I quit 26 years ago. I had promised my wife if we moved to Cayman Island I would quit smoking, never expected it to happen but it did so I gave it up. Smoked between 40 and 60 a day. But actually it was very easy, missed them alot for the first 3 weeks and after that once in a while I would crave one, but never had another one.

Interesting thing is my wife told me a few years later that she didn't remember me promising to quit.

A day at a time it isn't hard.

• 6 months later...

hey bro i have been smoking for 13 years im 25 now, smoking is apart of my life now, i want to quit cuase 30 a day is cuasing me now after 13 years to use a asma pump in the morning, im going to follow your steps and what not, and im going to report daily on this so that others can see how i feel cuase i am addicted i have smoked over 6 packets in 1 day at a time ,and was rush to hospital all my spit turned to yellow hardened jelly and had to be sucked out, and omg it stinks im 25 people say im a 70 year old man, the smell of my room sticks on the walls and clothing and stuff , anycase il be totally honest , this will be day 1 )7:05 am

hey bro i have been smoking for 13 years im 25 now, smoking is apart of my life now, i want to quit cuase 30 a day is cuasing me now after 13 years to use a asma pump in the morning, im going to follow your steps and what not, and im going to report daily on this so that others can see how i feel cuase i am addicted i have smoked over 6 packets in 1 day at a time ,and was rush to hospital all my spit turned to yellow hardened jelly and had to be sucked out, and omg it stinks im 25 people say im a 70 year old man, the smell of my room sticks on the walls and clothing and stuff , anycase il be totally honest , this will be day 1 )7:05 am

same me i am 25 too ,smoke 20 a day,lets start this today,i will also try,