Thailand News Forum

Colonel_Mustard

While attempting to open a new topic on the news forum I received the message that I don't have permission to open new topics on that forum.

Just out of interest how does one gain permission to post new topics on that forum?

At present it does seem that the members with permission to start new topics are perhaps creating a distorted forum eg Thaksin begs for royal pardon (or something of that nature) when there was to the best of my knowledge no begging at all. It appears to me that the majority of topic starters have a certain political agenda which is creating a rather one sided feel.

Is there any particular reason that only certain members can start new threads? Or is there any reason why regular members cannot?

The News Clipping forum is only open to moderators or admin to open new topics.

If you have an accredited news article (ie you must post the source of your news) do so in the General forum and alert a mod by using the report button after posting that you would like it moved to News.

Is there any particular reason that only certain members can start new threads? Or is there any reason why regular members cannot?

I'm sure the reason is to prevent the News Clippings forum from being flooded with all sorts of junk topics, thus hiding real news topics. Also to prevent numerous threads on the same story being opened.

It seems that some people see a story, and want to rush here and post it, without even glancing to see if it has already been posted. This results in numerous threads being opened about the same thing, sometimes with only a slightly different heading. This happens often enough in the General (and some other ) forums already.

If I come across a worthy news article, I post it in General. If the Mods/Admin decide it would be better off in the News forum, they'll move it over.

Cheers Kerry, that is exactly the reason why :o

Good point, please do a search first to make sure the topic hasn't already been posted

Understood. However, is it not strange that when I posted on the thread I mentioned, complaining about the blatantly biased title (and suggesting a more appropriate forum name), my post was immediately deleted without any explanation.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

As is commonly done with posts written in a flaming manner.

I'm surprised that as a 3-year-long member, you were unaware of the system employed for the News Clipping Forum as Kerry's well-written explanation has been mentioned numerous times over that time span.

Still, I'm glad you're up on how it works now and look forward to your non-flaming additions to the discussions and news sharing.

Often the sensationalist style headings are used in email broadcasts to better grab people's attention and try to persuade them to click into the site. The more people that click into the site, the more potential revenue is gained. So it's primarily a marketing device really, although also sometimes a news item is rushed onto the site in order to be more "hot off the press" and sometimes mistakes are made.

Unsure why your post was deleted though - perhaps it was phrased in a not-so-polite manner? Also, if a news article is popular and many people have clicked into it from the emails in their inboxes, it's probably not great to have negative criticism of the site in there. So often posts are censored for this reason.

I followed the step sbk adviced. I posted my topic in General forum and asked the Moderator to move it to News Clippings forum.

Now my topic appears like this:

Moved: Thaksin Slams Corruption Judgment As Politically Motivated

But when I click on it, all I can read is this:

Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.

What did I go wrong?

its been moved to the Thaksin court case thread, but I don't understand why the link didn't just take you to the thread in question. :o

Anyway, your post can be found here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2319806

One thing to bear in mind is that you can post related news articles in threads already running, we don't necessarily need a new thread for every development in a news story.

Cheers Kerry, that is exactly the reason why :o

Good point, please do a search first to make sure the topic hasn't already been posted

Understood. However, is it not strange that when I posted on the thread I mentioned, complaining about the blatantly biased title (and suggesting a more appropriate forum name), my post was immediately deleted without any explanation.

Yes interesting this. There was a thread titled " UDD Rallies at Rajamangala National Stadium in Bangkok " opened first by Bangyai. After half a dozen posts it was closed and moved to the news topic where its title was changed to " Taksin Begs ...."

Try as I might I can't see any ' flaming ' in the objectively named original thread ???

its been moved to the Thaksin court case thread, but I don't understand why the link didn't just take you to the thread in question. :o

Anyway, your post can be found here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2319806

One thing to bear in mind is that you can post related news articles in threads already running, we don't necessarily need a new thread for every development in a news story.

ESPECIALLY... news items that are 15 days old and report nothing different than what had been already posted weeks ago... :D

my post was immediately deleted without any explanation.
Unsure why your post was deleted though - perhaps it was phrased in a not-so-polite manner?

see above :o

Do you think the person cannot read and you had to quote 3 parts for him?

Thank you sbk.

sbk,

Could you kindly fix the problem why clicking it from General Forum doesn't bring readers to my post? I'm sure many members want to read that article and they may not know they can find it when clicking my profile. I'll have more posts everyday so it will be buried. Majority of posts and topics in the News Clipping Forum are anti-Thaksin.

Thank you.

my post was immediately deleted without any explanation.
Unsure why your post was deleted though - perhaps it was phrased in a not-so-polite manner?

see above :o

Do you think the person cannot read and you had to quote 3 parts for him?

The poster clearly said he was "unsure"... I simply pointed to the reason why...so that he can be "sure."