Pond Liner Prices Etc.

Smithson

There's been a bit of talk about pond liners, so I thought I'd post the info I've found.

Ideally we wanted EPDM liner, however we've been unsuccessful. So it looks like we'll have to settle for UV treated PVC with a 5 year guarantee. After hunting around for prices, the best we've got is 30 x 2m rolls for:

1mm = B135 per meter (although I have to confirm this price)

1.5mm = B185 per meter

We'll be raising fish to eat in the pond, so I was a bit worried about nasties leeching from PVC, however it seems the stuff is commonly used for prawns etc., so I figure I'm already getting my fair share.

To be on the safe side, I will probably go for the 1.5mm. If anyone has comments on additional info, pls post.

Smithson,

Have you thought about lining with clay or even with a cement/clay render? Just a thought..

It's only a small pond and it's supposes to look nice with waterfalls etc. so we want to get the water as clear as possible. I'm planning on doing the clay thing on another, larger pond.

• 2 weeks later...
Smithson, How are you doing the 'clay thing'? how deep for the clay? sides and bottom? How do you pack the sides? Thank you for any help you have.

I'm not really sure, it'll be a long time before I do it. If you search for 'ponds', you'll find a thread with pics were the clay lining was discussed.

Smithson, How are you doing the 'clay thing'? how deep for the clay? sides and bottom? How do you pack the sides? Thank you for any help you have.

I'm not really sure, it'll be a long time before I do it. If you search for 'ponds', you'll find a thread with pics were the clay lining was discussed.

I found this from the search: Adding Clay

If the existing soil is too coarse (i.e., too much sand or gravel), clay can be added to provide a better seal. The added material should be at least 20 percent clay. Luckily, adequate clay is common throughout Pennsylvania and may even be available near the pond site. The clay should be spread in layers at least 6 inches deep but preferably 1 foot deep.

at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Photos-t133032.html&st=25

might help some others also. Thanks.

• 8 months later...
There's been a bit of talk about pond liners, so I thought I'd post the info I've found.

Ideally we wanted EPDM liner, however we've been unsuccessful. So it looks like we'll have to settle for UV treated PVC with a 5 year guarantee. After hunting around for prices, the best we've got is 30 x 2m rolls for:

1mm = B135 per meter (although I have to confirm this price)

1.5mm = B185 per meter

We'll be raising fish to eat in the pond, so I was a bit worried about nasties leeching from PVC, however it seems the stuff is commonly used for prawns etc., so I figure I'm already getting my fair share.

To be on the safe side, I will probably go for the 1.5mm. If anyone has comments on additional info, pls post.

Smithson - some more detail please: take a piece of the 1mm think film measuring around 20cm by around 5cm - stretch it, and tell me how far it stretches before it tears. ... I'm trying to get an idea of just what type of film you have there.

Test 2: light a piece with a cig lighter - is the smoke white or black?

Those 2 basic tests will be a good indicator of the compound used in this film, and I'll then offer a comment regards what "nasties" are likely to leak out opver time.

GSE manufactures HDPE film in Rayong.

Their website is www.gseworld.com

They offer various thickness, on a standard 7 meter wide roll.

My information is two years old, so you'll want a fresh Quotation.

The price at that time came out to around 2X a 5 cm layer of concrete,

around same price as 10cm concrete

but it doesn't crack and requires far less labor to apply.

They will sell to the private fish farmer,

but their standard freight charge was B20,000 per shipment.

You will probably want to pick up at their dock.

HDPE does not respond to glue,

or shall I say, only to very specialized extremely expensive glue,

so it is melt bonded for we fish farming mortals.

GSE will receive your pond dimension,

factory fabricate 7 meter rolls to a one piece liner until a certain weight limit is reached,

then they will fabricate more than one piece,

and send a team to our site to seam weld the pieces on site.

The seam welder was for sale, B400,000 each.

As I just posted on a related site,

I didn't buy plastic,

delayed for lack of funds,

finally opting for seasonally available bulk Bentonite