Driver's License Test For Renawls

corkscrew

Today I visited the Thai driver's license office in order to change the address on my Thai driver's license. It was a fairly simple procedure (a visit to my consulate to notarize the address change and a visit to the Thai driver's license office to get a new license).

HOWEVER, that same Thai driver's license office said that on the next visit for a renewal for all Thai license holders would require a written road test and an eye test. This means, she said, that all holders of Thai driver' licenses (Thai and farang) would have to undergo a new written test and eye test.

Have you heard about this?

Heard nothing about this and i don't think it is correct.

I renewed my license a few months ( 5 year license ) ago in phuket without any problem.

There is also nothing mentioned in the local papers or gossip.

Went in recently and got our 5 year license in Cha Am. At that time we were told when we renew in 5 years we will have to take the class.(all in Thai) They never mentioned the test. Asked my Thai friend and she said they told her the same thing. Of course this being Thailand in 5 years who knows what the procedure will be.

Went in recently and got our 5 year license in Cha Am. At that time we were told when we renew in 5 years we will have to take the class.(all in Thai) They never mentioned the test. Asked my Thai friend and she said they told her the same thing. Of course this being Thailand in 5 years who knows what the procedure will be.

Yesterday the driver's license officer told me that when I renew my 5 year license I'll have to listen to the one hour lesson and then take the test. In fact there were some renewers at the office yesterday who were about to take the written test. This was at the Bangkok office.

Yesterday the driver's license officer told me that when I renew my 5 year license I'll have to listen to the one hour lesson and then take the test. In fact there were some renewers at the office yesterday who were about to take the written test. This was at the Bangkok office.

So somehow you forget to drive within the five hears of driving? What ar ethe road rules anyway? A lecture in Thai and a test (presumably in Thai). So what if you can't read Thai your screwed? So if it is enforced it's just another thing to piss off falangs in this country. Maybe they should be reminded that more than a few people in this country can't read enough Thai to pass the test. I guess it's just another reason to pack up and go home then..

So increase the rules for law abiding citizens, but what about all the unlicenced drivers in this country? Any law changes for them?? So how many other countries make you resit a test every time you renew?Sounds like another money scam to me...

Taking the Thai Drivers License WRITTEN test is done in ENGLISH if you want. I've taken and passed that WRITTEN test in 2006. You just have to remember to answer what is not what you SEE and EXPERIENCE while driving in Thailand, but what it SHOULD BE in a more perfect society. The written test choices was obviously composed by a person who had NEVER driven in Buriram Province. The DRIVING test in a smaller vehicle is EASY, a bit more difficult for me to parallel park in a larger vehicle. I was graciously given the chance to try again on the parking. In my opinion if they actually ENFORCED people to take a written class and driving test every 5 years it might slightly improve awareness of driving laws. Some Thai people do not understand the process of obtaining a legal license and it is not a financial priority for some Thai people. To me the benefits would outweigh the costs by a wide margin for the average Thai to obtain a license and then avoid the roadside hassles. I've seen firsthand the drama and expense of driving a larger class truck with an improper class drivers license. It takes at least two days of classes and testing to obtain a commercial class drivers license which might PALE in comparison to a more developed Nation's requirements.

So increase the rules for law abiding citizens, but what about all the unlicenced drivers in this country? Any law changes for them?? So how many other countries make you resit a test every time you renew?Sounds like another money scam to me...

Surely a money scam. Imagine all those 100bht. notes.

Not a scam at all as it doesn't cost any more to get the license. First they will point at an eye chart that has different colored/sized spots on it, red,green or yellow. You will then do a reaction test to see how fast you can pull your foot off the gas pedal and onto the brake. Depth perception is the next step to line up 2 lines. They also check your perrifial (sp) vision and ask what colors you see on each side.

The film is all in Thai and I did not sit through it. The written test can be taken either in Thai or English on a computer type machine. A card is placed into the machine and you make your best guess (LOL) of the 30 questions. You must get 23 out of 30 to pass the test. Picture quality

is not great and they are small. After you have answered all of the questions, it instructs you on what to do and then will even give you the questions you got wrong and the correct answer.

The driving portion is next and very simple, drive around the course, give your signals, reverse parking and then drive up to the office and give your number. They were very nice and helped me whenever I couldn't understand the Thai. They do a sample drive around for the motorcycle and a car on the driving course, so you shouldn't have any problems as long as you look at them.

Edited by SnakeBite

Everybody is always complaining that Thai people don't know anything about the rules, and cannot drive.

Now everybody will have a kind of refreshment course, and we all start complaining.

Or is it that we are scared to flunk the test, being the very good and better and knowledgeable drivers we claim to be ?