Electric Water Heater Tripping

surface

In a new condo and was told by the owner to push the reset on the electric water heater in the shower before using it. I haven't tried using it without pushing the reset button first (would it work?), and it never trips while I'm in the shower, but the trip light almost always on when I go to use the shower again.

Is it safe to shower?

What could be causing this?

Should I insist the landlord fix it? If so, what reason should I give him?

How can I look into the problem myself and be sure it's properly fixed as I likely won't be able to communicate with whoever comes to work on it?

You might consider phoning the COMPANY THAT MADE THE HEATER. Not difficult to track down on the Internet and I suspect they do have technical staff or customer service staff in Thailand who SPEAK and UNDERSTAND English. Could be a loose wire, or undersized circuit breaker. That same technical staff could perhaps communicate on the phone in Thai to any "repair person" you have sent and then tell you on the phone in English what they told the repair person as they try to diagnose and fix the problem in your residence.

As you fear a "reset button" is not a long term or proper solution, and NOT the on and off button. The fact you are using the "reset button" tells you that something is NOT correct. Some Thai people "take it easy, no problem" and then want to "buy new" when something mechanical or electronic goes "Kaput" and you knew it should have been fixed initially.

You would be amazed at the number of home appliance or home fittings sold in Thailand by reputable firms where the Manufacturer will graciously send out TRAINED service technicians at no charge to solve your problem. It is not like trying to RETURN a two day old broken DVD player to a merchant and getting the "run around".

In a new condo and was told by the owner to push the reset on the electric water heater in the shower before using it. I haven't tried using it without pushing the reset button first (would it work?), and it never trips while I'm in the shower, but the trip light almost always on when I go to use the shower again.

Is it safe to shower?

How can I look into the problem myself and be sure it's properly fixed as I likely won't be able to communicate with whoever comes to work on it?

I hope I don't get you electrocuted, but normally the trip (ELB) should be lit when you power the shower.

Generally, you only need to touch the RESET/TRIP onece a month, for testing.

If I was you, I would trip the ELB..press the button, make sure something shoots out from the bottom of the shower heater. Push it back in place, then switch on the shower..if the ECB doesn't pop back out, you should be OK. The water heater should then start heating the water, the ECB is a safety device, you don't need to trip it every time you shower, once a month is enough, just make sure it "jumps" out..if it doesn't...don't use it!THE LIGHT SHOULD BE ON! it indicates that it is operational..if it doesn't light, get an electrician!

Edited by Underdog

Thanks kamalabob2 and underdog. I'll have a friend who is a contractor over today to speak with the manufacturer. I'll update the post once I get a solution, if one is even needed. The last one I had never had the trip light go on over a period of 7 months, so I don't know how normal that is, but I'll find out today.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it safe to shower?

Something is wrong with the heater as it shouldn't be doing this. Highly recommend you "press the landlord" to replace the heater.