Opening Programmes

tgeezer

I downloaded a dictionary icon on desktop etc and when I try to open get a message:

"windows can not find javwaw make sure that you typed the name correctly and try again." needless to say I have typed nothing so does anyone know how to open the dictionary.

Any help will be appreciated; I am happy to ditch it but it did take nearly an hour to get it so don't want to be hasty.

I downloaded a dictionary icon on desktop etc and when I try to open get a message:

"windows can not find javwaw make sure that you typed the name correctly and try again." needless to say I have typed nothing so does anyone know how to open the dictionary.

Any help will be appreciated; I am happy to ditch it but it did take nearly an hour to get it so don't want to be hasty.

A Icon isn't a program! What you need to do is to install the program to run it. Maybe you need to download that program to first if you didn't have it.

Cheers.

A Icon isn't a program! What you need to do is to install the program to run it. Maybe you need to download that program to first if you didn't have it.

Cheers.

Thanks for the swift reply. The programme was downloaded and installed and presumably 'run' with 'Installation Wizard' my input restricted to the 'next' button. The icon was added to desktop automatically, that is what puzzles me. It is 'for' windows Vista which I have also.

Any clues there?

Isn't the "javwaw" missing file related to Java?

Could it be a file required to run the downloaded program is missing on the OP's PC?

A google gave some ideas but they are not clear.

To the OP:

what is the file you downloaded? any link?

opalhort

Maybe you should post clearly:

1. what program you try to install and run(full real name);

2. where that program came from (link);

3. what windows you use

and other infos related!

It's not easy to help without detailed infos!

Cheers.

Isn't the "javwaw" missing file related to Java?

Could it be a file required to run the downloaded program is missing on the OP's PC?

A google gave some ideas but they are not clear.

To the OP:

what is the file you downloaded? any link?

opalhort

I appreciate you trying to be helpful, I am completly computer illiterate but will try to get the link. Thank you both for your patience and bear with me.

I appreciate you trying to be helpful, I am completly computer illiterate but will try to get the link. Thank you both for your patience and bear with me.

Actually all I did was 'google' Lexitron and it was the first site suggestion. You will see 'exe without Java' mentoined. I downloaded 2.5 with sound.

From looking at the site it shows both versions of LexiTron, with and without sound, do not have the Java runtime environment included. Try downloading Java runtime and installing it from here > http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/ and try again. Sounds like it is a jar file and requires this to run it.

how could anyone be so thick? now that you put it like that it makes sense. Thanks very much, when I plug-in I will try it.

From looking at the site it shows both versions of LexiTron, with and without sound, do not have the Java runtime environment included. Try downloading Java runtime and installing it from here > http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/ and try again. Sounds like it is a jar file and requires this to run it.

how could anyone be so thick? now that you put it like that it makes sense. Thanks very much, when I plug-in I will try it.

Thank you all for helping it now works.