Gastric Band.

ishmael

Dear Sirs,

thank you for taking the time to read this query. I wish to have a gastric band fitted in Thailand, preferably in Chiang Mai and preferably the "Swedish Adjustable Gastric- Band" (SAG-Band).

I write "preferably in Chiang Mai" due to my being there but the overwhelming consideration is to find a surgeon who performs at least one hundred of these surgical procedures annually, ie, a skilled and practiced surgeon. Other, lesser points would be a good hospital to have it done in and of course, a good price.

If anyone of your goodselves can give me the information I seek I'd be most obliged.

Once again, thank you for your valuable time in reading this.

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

• 2 weeks later...

The gastric bypass known as Roux-n-Y or Roux en Y is actually the 'gold standard'. It is more permanent and involves reducing the stomach itself by blinding it off with special staples or sutures AND cutting out a section of the jejunum/ileum (small intestine) so that less food is absorbed. The stomach ends up about the size of an egg, and gets a bit bigger over a year.

It is more expensive than lap-banding and theoretically more complex. However, it is now done 80% of the time with scopes (like robot arms controlled by the surgeon--I had 6 scopes in my belly during the 5 hour operation), which means that scars are small and recovery is days not weeks. This is what is meant by laparoscopic surgery.

With banding, the band is inflated with saline and tightens around the stomach to make the capacity smaller. The advantage is that it can be changed, removed or reversed easily. In lay terms, it is like placing a tight rubber band around the stomach--of course, the surgeon must place it, so will open you up or use scopes.

The disadvantages of banding include:

There is a tap used to inflate or deflate the band. this is just under your skin so doctors can find it. It does not go away.

Banding is cheaper but "simpler". The surgeon does not cut away your intestine by 150cm as a double measure.

If you are very big, therefore, Roux en Y will help you lose more. Banding loss is normally less than roux loss over time.

-----

With roux en Y, there is a greater chance of other early complications because the anatomy is actually changed. Also, it is permanent, so you will take vitamins and calcium for life (because you lose them more easily now). However, roux is the "king", more profound, better results, forever. With either, TALK to the surgeon about what you need and the options. AND make sure you get a guy who has done 100-200 procedures. Both are complex, and the surgeons are puppy-walked when they are learning. Many train in the USA or UK AFTER they are full surgeons. There is a 1% chance of serious complications after roux (1 in 100 people die or get very ill, but they are often very ill before).

The band is generally cheaper, too. In the USA, a roux can cost 40,000usd or more. here maybe 10-15k. band is cheaper in both.

What is not normally realised is that these ops are ALSO done for morbid obesity--when there are co-factors. So, if you are a bit fat (BMI 35 or up) not huge--- BUT you also have a bit of diabetes, blood pressr, arthritis, then thse ops can be GREAT. My cholesterol has now gone!!!

with both OPs, but more especially Roux, you will eat soups and liquid stuff for at least 4 weeks, and it will be 2 months before you can eat kinda normal but much less. U wont wanna!!!!!!!!!

Google to know more.

I have sent Ishmael a PM.

I am not an advert or a gut surgeon. However, I do have a clinical background. My surgeon invited me to wake up and do the op with him (jokingly). If you want to know anythg more , PM me.

P.eddy