PM Calls On Nation To Band Together Against Narcotics

Jai Dee

PM calls on nation to band together against narcotics

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat presided over the "90 days to End Drug Trafficking" event, where he affirmed the narcotics problem is a priority issue for his administration and calls on the nation to band together against drug trafficking.

Mr. Somchai elaborated at the event that the 90 day time frame is not in hopes to competely eradicate narcotics but is simply a more condensed period for authorities to pool their efforts. The PM said that anti-drug policies would be reviewed and evaluated on a monthly basis, assuring that authorities who failed to produce results would not be penalized as the evaluations would see that officers are operating within regulations and strategies.

The premier continued to request all facets of society to help prevent drugs from entering into communities and schools and disrupting their sales cycles. He reminded that unstable families are a major catalyst for youths to turn to drugs.

Mr. Somchai remarked also that he believed the policies set by the Thaksin Administration against drugs were effective in reducing the problem while admitting that the issue of extra-judicial execution would have to be examined by the court.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 06 November 2008

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Somchai remarked also that he believed the policies set by the Thaksin Administration against drugs were effective in reducing the problem while admitting that the issue of extra-judicial execution would have to be examined by the court.

Yes, after 3 years....

The sole effect will be the raise of the street price of yabaa with a better profit for the untouchable drug's kings.

The premier continued to request all facets of society to help prevent drugs from entering into communities

Well, why than I pay my part of tax to all of those Men-in-Brown, to all of those clowny "Anti-drugs Ministries", or how you call'em...WHY, if we must do that ourselves? WHY??

Just gimme these money back (and I'll buy the shotgun) + gimme rights to use it, and show the nearest drug-pusher's point.

And the whole problem will be fixed by the people themselves VERY soon - without tons of useless speeches, believe me.

Goddamn politicans... Once again: THEY are our servants (they get their salaries for that). Not WE are their 'helpers'.

So, WHY must we do their part of their prepaid job? :o Maybe because somebody NEED the things in this only way?

Crazy world.

Edited by alex_aka_P

Govt's war on drugs launched to last 90 days

The government has launched a new round of drug suppression in a ceremony presided over by Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on Thursday.

The war on drugs is scheduled between November and January.

In his speech, Somchai encouraged authorities to devote their full attention to fight trafficking although he cautioned them that his government would not condone silent killings which mired the 2003 campaign against illicit drugs.

Source: The Nation - 06 November 2008

Yes, after 3 years....

Yeah...and during this time YOU and ME will be his\her feeders, paying his\her food&etc from our pockets (by paying the taxes).

And much longer - if he\she get a lifetime jail sentence....

Why not overdose the pushers by their "product for sell"? It will cost taxpayers just a single injection and 10-15min of time. No courts, no jails, no budget wasting...

Rude? Yes. Strong? Yes. Impolite? And so what? All of those pushers doing THE SAME to our kids. Lets just turn the process back...

Somchai elaborated at the event that the 90 day time frame is not in hopes to competely eradicate narcotics but is simply a more condensed period for authorities to pool their efforts.

So the brother-in-law stepped in and whispered, "Don't make the same moronic, asinine speaking gaff I did."

Thaksin declares the country 'drug free area'

"The government is pleased to announce that the country is now a drug-free area and will proclaim victory in its war on drugs," said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

- The Nation / April 13, 2003

Edited by sriracha john

Govt's war on drugs launched to last 90 days

The government has launched a new round of drug crackdown in a ceremony presided over by Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on Thursday.

The war on drugs is scheduled between November and January.

In his speech, Somchai encouraged authorities to devote their full attention to fight trafficking although he cautioned them that his government would not condone silent killings which mired the 2003 campaign against illicit drugs.

The fight against traffickers will strictly follow the prescribed legal proceedings, he said.

He called for the step-up of awareness campaign for young people to realise the harmful effects of drug abuse.

Source: The Nation - 06 November 2008

Let's ignore history... or simply modify it to our needs, wishes, and whims... :o

90-day war on drugs

BANGKOK - THAILAND'S premier vowed on Thursday to step up an anti-narcotics campaign, and defended ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra against accusations that his drugs war was mired in extra-judicial killings.

Somchai Wongsawat said he was launching a 90 day campaign aimed at reducing drug use and trafficking in an extension of a crackdown initially started by his brother-in-law Thaksin.

"In the next 90 days the government will reduce the number of drug users and will intercept drugs from entering Thailand, but there will be no extra-judicial killings," Somchai told justice and police officials.

"Implementing extra-judicial killings to solve the drugs problem is absolutely banned," he added.

Thaksin launched his war on drugs in 2003, and human rights groups have said that at least 2,500 people were killed in extra-judicial killings during the campaign.

Somchai, however, said that Thaksin was not responsible for the deaths.

"In fact, those people had committed wrongdoing. It was not extra-judicial killing by police. They were killed by drugs dealers," he said, repeating the government line at the time.

Thaksin, who is living in exile in Britain, previously defended the deaths as "bad guys killing bad guys."

- AFP / 2008-11-06

Must be an election on the horizon. Probably a good opportunity to off anyone of a contrary voice to the PPP hymn book too. Anyway lets hope it doesnt turn into anopther killathon of the innocent sponsored by Thaksin regime part two.

Somchai is a pretty inhuman or utterly insane character to repeat that nonsense that the old Thaksin regime used to spit out. By the way, I thought Thaksin believed in democracy and justice;)

I wonder what will happen to all the dealers who are in the PPP, support and fund the PPP and are in positions of power helping the PPP. Oh I should remember last time not one of them was ever targetted or arrested and were left to mop up the market at a later date.

Interior Minister : Thailand must be against drugs

The Minister of Interior has indicated the nation's narcotics problem was of paramount importance, adding it deserved immediate and serious actions.

Minister of Interior Pol Gen Kowit Wattana (โกวิท วัฒนะ), acting as Director of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board's Centre for Protection and Suppression Against Drugs, spoke on the occasion of the centre's launching of the "90 days to End the Threat of Drugs" project today (November 6), saying that the drug problem was a pressing matter that affected stability of the nation. He said that the issue was a priority that must be dealt with immediately and consistently by ending the spread of narcotics. The government has set the eradication of drugs as its priority agenda for the first year.

The 90 days project was extended from November 3, 2008 to January 31, 2009. It would focus in high risk areas and groups. The Minister of Interior insured that all legal dealings would be in a just and transparent. He stated that areas that showed potential escalation for the drug problem included Bangkok and its vicinities and the far south.

Interior Minister : Thailand must be against drugs

The Minister of Interior has indicated the nation's narcotics problem was of paramount importance, adding it deserved immediate and serious actions.

Minister of Interior Pol Gen Kowit Wattana (โกวิท วัฒนะ), acting as Director of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board's Centre for Protection and Suppression Against Drugs, spoke on the occasion of the centre's launching of the "90 days to End the Threat of Drugs" project today (November 6), saying that the drug problem was a pressing matter that affected stability of the nation. He said that the issue was a priority that must be dealt with immediately and consistently by ending the spread of narcotics. The government has set the eradication of drugs as its priority agenda for the first year.

The 90 days project was extended from November 3, 2008 to January 31, 2009. It would focus in high risk areas and groups. The Minister of Interior insured that all legal dealings would be in a just and transparent. He stated that areas that showed potential escalation for the drug problem included Bangkok and its vicinities and the far south.

Having been in charge of the police who failed to catch anyone for the Bangkok bombings a few years ago when he was in the coupmeisters gang and having been interior minister who allowed the border police from 3 divisions to come to Bangkok to be involved in the littel missing limbs adventure and having found this level of failure to be too much of a loss of face our intrepid interior minister and serial failure decides having a Thaksin style drugs war is the way to improve his image. One wonders if he will personally lead raids where elderly couples houses are sprayed with bullets from machine guns or where children must be offed rambo style? One wonders why the areas identiifed for a Thaksin style drug war are limited to those that poltically dont support little floppy Somchai's government?

Oh yes its serious intimidation time dressed up as a drugs war and wont it go down well with the upcountry faithful who will be well taught again by their PPP employed headmen to chant "who beat the drug gangs" and this time they wont even see their cousins offed but ti will all be those nasty people from the south and Bangkok.

Thai govt kicks off new anti-drug campaign

BANGKOK: -- The government has declared a 90-day war against drugs nationwide and plans to deter possible killings among suspected drug dealers.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat launched the 90-day anti-drug campaign, enforced since Monday until January 31, and named Interior Minister Kowit Wattana as chief of the government's drug suppression and control centre and Justice Minister Somsak Kiatsuranond as deputy chief of the centre.

Mr. Somchai said the 90-day anti-drug campaign might be considered a follow-up to the earlier campaign launched in the times of the former Thaksin administration, but the prime minister said the authorities would take measures to prevent and contain slayings among suspected drug dealers as had been the cases which occurred during a previous Thaksin administration.

Human rights groups say at least 2,500 people died during the notorious campaign held between 2003 and 2004.

The premier called on the authorities attached to all government agencies to join together in the 90-day nationwide crackdown on drugs.

Gen Kowit called the 90-day campaign a national agenda and said the authorities will focus on suspected drug-dealing areas of Bangkok and its metropolitan region as well as the southern border provinces.

The Office of Narcotic Control Board plans to seize an estimated Bt400 million in assets owned by suspected drug dealers, especially those arrested in border areas within this year.

-- TNA 2008-11-06

PM calls on nation to band together against narcotics

Did he REALLY say that? WoW I could almost be impressed by that statement!

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat....

elaborated at the event that the 90 day time frame is not in hopes to completely eradicate narcotics

Interior Minister Kowit Wattana set the eradication of drugs as its priority agenda for the first year.

The Interior Minister is establishing the same ludicrous end goal that Somchai's brother-in-law established, but that even Somchai has not... can any 2 persons within this government ever agree on their frickin' announcements???

Bunch of Bozos...

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin launched his war on drugs in 2003, and human rights groups have said that at least 2,500 people were killed in extra-judicial killings during the campaign.

"In fact, those people had committed wrongdoing. It was not extra-judicial killing by police. They were killed by drugs dealers," he said, repeating the government line at the time.

Somchai remarked also that he believed the policies set by the Thaksin Administration against drugs were effective in reducing the problem while admitting that the issue of extra-judicial execution would have to be examined by the court.

Did he REALLY say that? WoW I could almost be impressed by that statement!

He said it... but his elaboration on it is found in the first quote... in other words, it's ALREADY been examined and determined they were all justified as it was all merely drug dealers killing each other... NONE of them were committed by the police.

Edited by sriracha john

Yes, after 3 years....

Yeah...and during this time YOU and ME will be his\her feeders, paying his\her food&etc from our pockets (by paying the taxes).

Why not overdose the pushers by their "product for sell"? It will cost taxpayers just a single injection and 10-15min of time. No courts, no jails, no budget wasting...

Rude? Yes. Strong? Yes. Impolite? And so what? All of those pushers doing THE SAME to our kids. Lets just turn the process back...

you forget that the last time they killed approx. 3000 people, half of them had nothing to do with drugs.

head of village made lists of drug dealers but put instead his enemies on the list etc....

So it is more the shoot your kids than protect them.....

Thai govt kicks off new anti-drug campaign

BANGKOK: -- The government has declared a 90-day war against drugs nationwide and plans to deter possible killings among suspected drug dealers.

yeah, the police have first dibs on that....

It is utterly amazing that the government think anyone believes the old they all killed each other stuff after HRW and Amnesty reports. Shouldnt mention the UN as didnt say the UN was not his father.

Yes, after 3 years....

Your precious kids can always say no you know. Its not compulsory to take drugs .. its a choice.

When i was a kid there was much peer pressure to smoke cigarettes. I never did. I had a choice and exercised it. The same with alcohol and drugs. I had all these choices when young and made my own decision (no on all counts in case you were wondering)

Just curious - how exactly do you "kick off" a war on drugs. Is it as it sounds with both sides ready to go and the referee (Wattana I guess) blows his whistle, 45 days eradicating drugs in Bangkok and then 45 days eradicating them in the deep South? What if its a draw after 90 days - extra time or straight to a shoot out? The government better make sure they got some Germans on their side if it comes to that and fill up the opposition with Brits...

And will they also crack down on illegal gambling on the outcome?

And definitely no university students with tight blouses and short skirts for the half time entertainment...

Yes, after 3 years....

Your precious kids can always say no you know. Its not compulsory to take drugs .. its a choice.

When i was a kid there was much peer pressure to smoke cigarettes. I never did. I had a choice and exercised it. The same with alcohol and drugs. I had all these choices when young and made my own decision (no on all counts in case you were wondering)

What are you on?

Kids getting shot has nothing to do with them using drugs and not saying no but with Police units raiding homes on non-dealers on false info (added on purpose by someone higher up in the chain) and shooting up the place, killing completely innocent people in the process.

Where are the toilets ? I have to vomit.

Yes, after 3 years....

What are you on?

Kids getting shot has nothing to do with them using drugs and not saying no but with Police units raiding homes on non-dealers on false info (added on purpose by someone higher up in the chain) and shooting up the place, killing completely innocent people in the process.

What are you on TAWP?

The post i was replying to was asking why not give the pushers a dose of their own drugs ... like they are doing to the kids. So i replied stating , correctly , kids have a choice. Like everything with demand and supply be it sex or drugs , there will always be a trade (despite the many attempts to stop them.. why do they bother?) , and kids like everyone else have the choice to get involved or not. Thats all i was saying ... take a pill TAWP and have a nice day !!

Where are the toilets ? I have to vomit.

Mr. Happy to the rescue.... feel free to puke here... and no need to wait for him to move... puke3.gif

30070474-01.jpg