Extension Retirement Visa Requirements.

At the present time I am holding a one year retirement visa that is due to expire next month.

I presume I need th following docs,

1. Passport.

2. Bank Passbook

3. A bank statement that I hold account 800 KB in my account.

4. A bank statement regarding this year incoming foreign banktransfers

5. 1,900 Bath Fee

Are there any other requirements you know off ? For instance do I need again a doctors certificate, copy of passport, passbook and or anything else ?

Thanks in advance.

I think you will have to supply copies of everything and two photos.

The medical cert. appears to be at the discretion of the officier.

Ohh, yes, one more thing, a little present for the nice policeman who is about to let you stay another year. Well worth the money.

Among the items JaiDee listed was:

4. A bank statement regarding this year incoming foreign banktransfers

It thought that a statement in Thai language certifying that the balance in the account was from external sources was all that was required. If you still had 800k from the previous balance why would it need to certify the past 12 months inputs/ Suppose there were none? :o

At the present time I am holding a one year retirement visa that is due to expire next month.

1. Passport.

2. Bank Passbook

4. A bank statement  regarding this year incoming foreign banktransfers

5. 1,900 Bath Fee

Are there any other requirements you know off ? For instance do I need again a doctors certificate, copy of passport, passbook and or anything else ?

Thanks in advance.

You need a TM 7 form.

Passport.

Photocopy of all relevant pages of passport - your picture page, visa page, last entry stamp page, any other extension page, any other page that you can think of that might be useful :o

Sign all copies of passport pages.

Letter from bank (200 baht?) stating your current balance (>800,000 baht).

Bank statement (computer printout) of your balance.

Your bank book - recently updated at the bank.

Medical certificate from hospital or reputable clinic (ask for certificate for "visa" - they should know what is needed) - 80 baht (?).

Photograph (4 x 6 cm) for TM 7 form.

Fee 1,900 baht.

As Peter said, you don't need your item no. 4 if you have the 800 k baht.

I also take copies of my landlord's ID card, house registration document for her own house and the house that I rent, but these are - in theory - not required.

You should not need the bank book either, but best to take it along.

If you also want a multiple re-entry permit, that'll be another 3,800 baht.

That's all (unless anyone else knows different...)

1. Passport.

2. Bank Passbook

4. A bank statement  regarding this year incoming foreign banktransfers

5. 1,900 Bath Fee

Thanks in advance.

You need a TM 7 form.

Passport.

Photocopy of all relevant pages of passport - your picture page, visa page, last entry stamp page, any other extension page, any other page that you can think of that might be useful :o

Sign all copies of passport pages.

Letter from bank (200 baht?) stating your current balance (>800,000 baht).

Bank statement (computer printout) of your balance.

Your bank book - recently updated at the bank.

Medical certificate from hospital or reputable clinic (ask for certificate for "visa" - they should know what is needed) - 80 baht (?).

Photograph (4 x 6 cm) for TM 7 form.

Fee 1,900 baht.

As Peter said, you don't need your item no. 4 if you have the 800 k baht.

I also take copies of my landlord's ID card, house registration document for her own house and the house that I rent, but these are - in theory - not required.

You should not need the bank book either, but best to take it along.

If you also want a multiple re-entry permit, that'll be another 3,800 baht.

That's all (unless anyone else knows different...)

Do not believe a bank statement is required if you have a passbook - that is the statement - but you will need copies of each page and sign them. This also provides proof of foreign transfers, in most cases, with a code number.

Photo must be current within six months (and may be checked) so don't use last years.

Re-entry permit time if you plan any travel.

I know it varies from place to place but for the past ten years I have needed both bank passport and letter from bank.

The letter being  a signed statement.

That is correct. You always need a current letter confirming amount in the account plus account paperwork (bank passbook or statement). The letter is addressed to the immigration police and signed by an official of the bank and usually costs 200 baht to prepare.

Ohh, yes, one more thing,  a little present for the nice policeman who is about to let you stay another year.  Well worth the money.

Please advise on what is "a little present" to the guy who is authorizing another 1 year stay. I am new here and will have to go through this next year and a little nieve about this sort of thing.

I heard that you can not give money to immigration officials?

Thaks.

Ohh, yes, one more thing,  a little present for the nice policeman who is about to let you stay another year.  Well worth the money.

Please advise on what is "a little present" to the guy who is authorizing another 1 year stay. I am new here and will have to go through this next year and a little nieve about this sort of thing.

I heard that you can not give money to immigration officials?

Thaks.

I believe Thetyim was being humorous.... :o

Do not believe a bank statement is required if you have a passbook - that is the statement - but you will need copies of each page and sign them.  This also provides proof of foreign transfers, in most cases, with a code number....

Good point. I think next time I'll copy and sign the bank book too. My approach to getting the extension is to "provide whatever Immigration could possibly want". It only takes a few minutes to copy and sign - and you have all year to prepare for it, so why not? :o

I know it varies from place to place but for the past ten years I have needed both bank passport and letter from bank.

The letter being  a signed statement.

I take my previous year's letter to the bank and tell them I want the same for this year. On headed bank paper, my letter states:

"This is to certify that ............. has maintained a Savings account no. .......... with our Phuket branch. The total balance as at <date> is THB 8xx,xxx.

Any assistance which you may render to the above person would be gratefully appreciated.

Yours faithfully

KTBank

Phuket

<signature>

<Bank stamp over signature>"

Taking the bank book will show the immigration officer that the money came from outside Thailand - so it probably is a good idea to take it too. It will also show regular withdrawals - for living costs - over the year. It would be a bit suspicious to them if they saw 800,000 going in last year and taken out again a couple of days later! They want to see you living off your transferred in money.

...Ohh, yes, one more thing,  a little present for the nice policeman who is about to let you stay another year.  Well worth the money.

I gave 100 baht to the girl sitting next to the immigration officer because she completed the "multiple re-entry permit" application form.

Well, I didn't actually give it to her, the immigration officer was giving me my change for the extension and permit fees, kept a one hundred baht note in his hand, nodded in the direction of the girl who was doing the re-entry permit and said "OK?" :D

No I am not joking about giving the police money.

I and three other falangs here always give them a present when we apply. We do this openly, it is a gift not a bribe.

Not surprisingly they are always very happy to see us each year.

The chief immigration officier in Phuket is quoted on this forum somewhere saying that any gifts were gratfeully accepted.

The chief immigration officier in Phuket is quoted on this forum somewhere saying that any gifts were gratfeully accepted.

I'll bet they were.

In many countries that is called bribery, whether solicited or not.

So are "Donations for underprivileged children......." etc

Bribery, gift, oiling the wheels, call it what you like.

I am happy to get another one year extension and the policeman is happy. No harm done.

Remember the extension is at the discretion of the interveiwing officier.

He can refuse you even if all your paperwork is correct and he can pass you if some of it is missing.

I have a year's extension (retirement) and have a letter from the US embassy stating I have well over the required monthly pension income. I live fairly inexpensively and find that in my first year here I will spend something less than 600,000 baht which is the amount of money I will transfer in in the course of the year....

My question is:

If my bankbook reflects three overseas transfers of money with about 200,000 in the bank plus the letter from the embassy, will this be seen as sufficient funds to renew the extension?

For financial reasons I would prefer not transfering in any more money than I will actually spend in a year.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

I have a year's extension (retirement) and have a letter from the US embassy stating I have well over the required monthly pension income.  I live fairly inexpensively and find that in my first year here I will spend something less than 600,000 baht which is the amount of money I will transfer in in the course of the year....

My question is:

If my bankbook reflects three overseas transfers of money with about 200,000 in the bank plus the letter from the embassy, will this be seen as sufficient funds to renew the extension?

For financial reasons I would prefer not transfering in any more money than I will actually spend in a year.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Not sure I understand. If you spend 600k per year why can your account not be at 600k? Spend down and replenish before extension date.

You may not have a problem with only 200k in bank but, as you will be spending more anyhow, I would try for 400k. Unless you have a really high interest account somewhere that you can share with us. :o

Hi all,I understand Craig's outlook as Im in much the same situation he is. Most of my cash is in a tax- exempt money market fund at Vanguard

which will give me a considerably higher return than any bank acct. would,in U.S. or LOS.maintaining a steady dollar value at all times.(no fluctuation in net asset value) Naturally,I would like to keep as much as possible in there at all times.Sounds like Craig may be in a similar situation.

As to his question.if you have enough

pension income to make up for the bank shortfall,you SHOULD be ok.

But it would be still be at the discretion of the immigraton officer as to how much of a bank balance he/she would like to see. I would just go ahead as planned,and make changes if necessary ,depending on what immigration tells you they need.

Hi Guys,

Re the little gifts for Immigration officals, the lady with the long dark hair who fed all your details onto the computer and asked for 500baht for the "computer" was not there when I renewed my visa in Nov. at Pattaya Soi 8. So nothing was asked for and nothing was offered. I suggest everyone does the same, ie. don't offer. I've heard some guys in the past say it would be worth X 000's baht to get their visa, but remember if one person pays, the rest of us are expected to do the same. Just my 2 pence worth! MonsH.

Hi Guys,

Re the little gifts for Immigration officals, the lady with the long dark hair who fed all your details onto the computer and asked for 500baht for the "computer" was not there when I renewed my visa in Nov. at Pattaya Soi 8. So nothing was asked for and nothing was offered. I suggest everyone does the same, ie. don't offer. I've heard some guys in the past say it would be worth X 000's baht to get their visa, but remember if one person pays, the rest of us are expected to do the same. Just my 2 pence worth!  MonsH.

Blimey! Who gave 500baht? I gave 100 baht once, and 50 baht for an address certificate - again, just once. But this "over-tipping" is a problem for all expats actually living (retired or working) in Thailand. Tourists flushed with their year's worth of holiday money, throw it around like it's going out of fashion, thinking they are impressing their new "friends" but what they don't realise it that it sets a standard for people who are here 52 weeks a year to live up to. And ex-pats who say to the immigration staff things like "this visa is worth so much to me", deserve shooting!

Hi Guys,

Re the little gifts for Immigration officals, the lady with the long dark hair who fed all your details onto the computer and asked for 500baht for the "computer" was not there when I renewed my visa in Nov. at Pattaya Soi 8. So nothing was asked for and nothing was offered. I suggest everyone does the same, ie. don't offer. I've heard some guys in the past say it would be worth X 000's baht to get their visa, but remember if one person pays, the rest of us are expected to do the same. Just my 2 pence worth!   MonsH.

Blimey! Who gave 500baht? I gave 100 baht once, and 50 baht for an address certificate - again, just once. But this "over-tipping" is a problem for all expats actually living (retired or working) in Thailand. Tourists flushed with their year's worth of holiday money, throw it around like it's going out of fashion, thinking they are impressing their new "friends" but what they don't realise it that it sets a standard for people who are here 52 weeks a year to live up to. And ex-pats who say to the immigration staff things like "this visa is worth so much to me", deserve shooting!

I could not agree more about the stupidity of saying such things to Immigration Officers and giving them money when there is no need. All that does is encourage some Officers to try it on as their expectations have been raised. If and when they were to try it on and were refused, their veto in terms of the discretion they are supposedly allowed on a case by case basis could quickly come into play because they have again become accustomed to dropsy.

As for the 500 Baht, that was a different story altogether and it happened to me when I applied for my first extension earlier this year (March). When the woman officer had finished entering my details, she turned to me and said: “500 Baht for use computer.” This was not a ‘tip’ instigated by me, it was a clear demand for payment made in front of two other officers. It was obvious to me that it was a con, but was I going to make a fuss and jeopardize getting the extension? Not likely, I just paid up.

Last week I successfully applied for a second year, but this time no such demand was made and I certainly did not offer. Perhaps the new Chief is playing it by the book?

That said, the more people who bung the officers then the higher the chance it will become the norm. If Immigration play by the rules, why tempt them if you are a legit applicant? :D:o

• 4 weeks later...

By this I want to let you know and to congratulte immigration office for the fast and profesional approach in regards of retirement visa extension job well done.

Visa visit went as follows;

For retirement one year extension visa I went last Tuesday at Suan Phlu at 11:30AM with the following:

1) Visa application form with photo.

2) One copy of relevant passport pages.

3) A Letter of Guarantee from Bangkok Bank that I had deposited the money from an overseas account.

4) One copy of my Bangkok Bank passbook, updated Friday, to show the money was still in the account.

5) 1,900 Bath Visa extension Fee

6) 3,800 Bath Multiple entry Visa.

After I went to the application window and paid B 1,900, I was sent back to room 102. I waited about 20 minutes and then sat down in front of a very friendly enough lady. She looked through each of the documents. No problems.

After double check with other officer I receivd immediately my one year retirement visa extension.

Next I proceeded to counter 9 for multiple entry visa.

At 1.30 PM I left Suan Phlu with the new one year extension retirement visa.

By this I want to let you know and  to congratulte immigration office for the fast and profesional approach in regards of retirement visa extension job well done.

Visa  visit went as follows;

For retirement one year extension visa I went last Tuesday at Suan Phlu at 11:30AM with the following:

1) Visa application form with photo.

2) One copy of relevant passport pages.

3) A Letter of Guarantee from Bangkok Bank that I had deposited the money from an overseas account.

4) One copy of my Bangkok Bank passbook, updated Friday, to show the money was still in the account.

5) 1,900 Bath Visa extension Fee

6) 3,800 Bath Multiple entry Visa.

After I went to the application window and paid B 1,900, I was sent back to room 102. I waited about 20 minutes and then sat down in front of a very friendly enough lady. She looked through each of the documents. No problems.

After double check with other officer I receivd immediately my one year retirement visa extension.

Next I proceeded to counter 9 for multiple entry visa.

At 1.30 PM I left Suan Phlu with the new one year extension retirement visa.

They didn't want a medical certificate ?

[They didn't want a medical certificate ?

Nope, no medical certificate was required for the retirment visa extension.

A medical certificate ws provided for the initial retirement visa last year.

You were lucky! It is a requirement, so maybe the guy just forgot.

The rules are that there are no rules :o