Philippines-usa Birth Report

DE88

Hi,

Hoping someone has an answer to my question.

My Mom was born in the US in 1929. Both her parents were born in the Philippines. She returned to the Philippines in 1936 at the age of 7. She has only been to the US one time in the 80's for a vacation. She has a US birth certificate and US passport.

I was born in the Philippines in 1952.

My question. Is it possible for me to obtain US citizenship? I know there is a requirement for a one parent being a US citizen and the other a alien. But it only states the earliest years from 1952-1986. I don't see anything that applies before 1952. Would this be because the Philippines was a commonwealth from 1935-1946?

I would appreciate if someone is familiar with this could respond.

Thanks!

Hi,

Hoping someone has an answer to my question.

My Mom was born in the US in 1929. Both her parents were born in the Philippines. She returned to the Philippines in 1936 at the age of 7. She has only been to the US one time in the 80's for a vacation. She has a US birth certificate and US passport.

I was born in the Philippines in 1952.

My question. Is it possible for me to obtain US citizenship? I know there is a requirement for a one parent being a US citizen and the other a alien. But it only states the earliest years from 1952-1986. I don't see anything that applies before 1952. Would this be because the Philippines was a commonwealth from 1935-1946?

I would appreciate if someone is familiar with this could respond.

Thanks!

Reckon you have a very good and complicated question here.

Take a look at the info here, might help: http://www.shusterman.com/acquisit.html

You might also see if the Manila office of U.S. "immigration", Citizenship and Immigration Services, can answer your question. Info below.

Mac

USCIS Service and Office Locator

Services Overview » Find An Overseas Office » In the Bangkok District » Office Detail

Manila Field Office for the Bangkok District

Who Are We?

Field Office Director:

John Abram

Service Area

The USCIS Manila Field Office accepts and adjudicates U.S. immigration benefits filed by residents of: The Philippines, New Guinea, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Palau, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Samoa, Wallis, Futuna, New Caledonia, Pitcairn Island, Overseas French territories of French Polynesia, and most island nations in the Pacific region that are not covered by the other Field Offices in the Bangkok District.

Where Are We?

Street Address:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Department of Homeland Security

Embassy of the United States

1201 Roxas Boulevard, Annex. 4th Floor

Ermita, Manila 1000

Philippines

Mailing Address FROM THE UNITED STATES:

Field Office Director

USEMB DHS USCIS

PSC 500 Box 22

FPO AP 96515-1000

Express Mail:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Department of Homeland Security

Embassy of the United States

1201 Roxas Boulevard

Ermita, Manilla 1000

Philippines

Visiting Our Office

We are located at the U.S. Embassy Compound on Roxas Boulevard, Annex Building on the 4th floor. Please use the public entrance access.

Directions:

By bus or taxi - Roxas Boulevard

Parking within the Embassy compound is limited to authorized guests only.

Accessibility for individuals with special needs is available.

Contacting Us

Hours of Operation:

The office is open to the public Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon. It is closed on Philippine and American holidays.

If calling from the United States, please dial 011 first.

Phone: For General inquiries in Tagalog or English, please call the following numbers: (63-2) 301-2000 Ext. 2224 (from the U.S.), (02) 301-2000 (within the Philippines but outside Metro Manila), and 301-2000 (within Metro Manila)

Mail: Please contact us at the address listed above.

In Person:

Appointments:

Please contact us by phone.

Walk-ins:

Walk-ins are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis at the USCIS Customer Service Window Number 35 in the Immigrant Visa Section. To receive service, obtain a number from the window and wait for the number to be called.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Go ask at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Odds are you already have citizenship, according to my very limited understanding of the law. There might be an issue with not having claimed it for so long, but I've never heard of such a problem. (Permanent residents can't leave for extended periods without losing PR, but as far as I know, citizenship is for life unless formally renounced.)

Congratulations! Now you have to file back taxes for the last fifty-six years. :o