Thai Eyes For The Oh-bah-mah Guy

Jingthing

At the noodle stall tonight, I observed a group of Thais gathering around the front page of a Thai newspaper with a story about the election of Obama in the US. It was very interesting to watch and made me wonder if this will have an impact on Thai society.

Man with paper: points to photo of Obama, says Obama

Woman says: Dee mai (Is he good?)

Man with paper says: Dee. Dee, Jing! (Very good. Really!)

Man with paper touches picture of Omaba and says: See dtum (He's black!)

Women touches picture of Obama. (I am touching his face)

OK, this made me wonder.

Does this historic event have an impact on THAI society?

I have read other cultures all over the world are reacting in different ways. For example, there is a human rights movement in India to raise up the rights of untouchables there. I read they intend to use the Obama phenom to help their cause.

How are Thais seeing this from the perspective of THEIR country?

Do they possibly see him as a populist figure (perhaps like Thaksin?) who is raising the dark skinned exploited underclass (as in Isaan?) Will it make Thais hunger for a unifying figure with charisma who will attempt to UNIFY their divided country? (Someone like Abhisit with balls, vision, and charisma?)

What have the Thais in your life said about the remarkable dramatic rise of Obama in relation to how it may affect the political situation IN THAILAND? Or am I barking up the wrong tree, if you think there won't be any impact.

Edited by Jingthing

one Thai perspective:

IMO slightly more competence than the last guy, more likely to strengthen the US$ than the last guy. Hence from the Thai side, hopefully will fatten my forex revenue (I can already count on Thai politicians both Democrats and PPP/TRT to do things that will keep the Baht weak).

:o

A stronger dollar, I like it. I was thinking more on the lines of is there any reason that any of the factions involved in the lingering Thai political crisis would find any meaning or inspiration that they might channel into in Thailand. The only thing I can really imagine is that perhaps some kind of new national unity party with a charismatic leader could emerge with an inspirational message similar to Obama's: there is no such thing as red shirt Thailand, there is no such thing as yellow shirt Thailand, there is only one Thailand ... something like that. I don't see Abhisit or his party as being this kind of leader (their party base seems too limited geographically and he doesn't seem bold enough). It isn't unheard of at all for politicians to "steal" political strategies from successful politicians from other countries. Anyway, just a thought.

OK, this part is a joke, proposed name for this fictional new Thai party: Barack Thai

Edited by Jingthing

I don't see any reason why Thais should draw anything from Obama's election. Although the fact that Americans have managed to overcome their unfortunate history of race relations - sadly something I don't expect Europe to do any time in the near future - is enormously to America's credit, Democrat presidents have been as much of a curse for the rest of the world as Republican presidents. Perhaps Obama will do something about America's profligate use of world resources, about their grossly unfair trade arrangements, about their immoral and illegal interference in the domestic affairs of other countries, or about any number of other world problems but given the historical failure of any American president to do this, I don't hold out much hope. I suspect that the only lesson that will be learnt - as if it needs to be learnt yet again - is that talk is cheap.

I think it will have an effect on Thai society. The class system and color bias in the country will be affected. I don't expect big changes, but I think the idea of discrimination on the basis of color will be challenged, ever so slightly. And that is a start.

Barack Obama's presidential election to me...

- he is not some kind like the victory to the color people..

I don't care for this, any color.. we all are human, also we don't have this problem in our country.

- I don't see Obama as he is khun Taxsin...through he got mainly votes from lower class US people and color people.

IMO, they are so much different..by their backgrounds, thier visions... I see khun Taxsin is a political-bussinessman, he is not a politician.

- I admire for his strength and his success in his profession only at 47, is not much older than me...

Well, but not too close na... he can be my big.. big.. and big brother, actually :o

I wish to be success in my profession as him when I will be at his age..

- I admire for his vision, seem like he will choose his teamwork by putting the right man onto the right job.

Though some are Republican, this is a "must-be" for leader's vision.

- What will really effect me is US currency, new foreign affair policy and of course, International trade policy

And also the War-thing, these all effect to our Thai Economics, more or less, it will...

(My business too, though it is so petit.... but got impact too.. no doubt..I cannot sell my products, if you don't have money to buy..Right? :D

and also some of you will go home if exchange rate will become low and low...I really don't want this to happen..eiei)

My grammar is wrong...

Edited by MidoriApple

I don't see any reason why Thais should draw anything from Obama's election. Although the fact that Americans have managed to overcome their unfortunate history of race relations - sadly something I don't expect Europe to do any time in the near future - is enormously to America's credit, Democrat presidents have been as much of a curse for the rest of the world as Republican presidents. Perhaps Obama will do something about America's profligate use of world resources, about their grossly unfair trade arrangements, about their immoral and illegal interference in the domestic affairs of other countries, or about any number of other world problems but given the historical failure of any American president to do this, I don't hold out much hope. I suspect that the only lesson that will be learnt - as if it needs to be learnt yet again - is that talk is cheap.

I am not agreeing with you or disagreeing. It is really too early to tell, either way. The difference I see, at the least at this early stage, is that Obama is not just another generic US president. Far from it. To boil it down, his organization created more of a MOVEMENT than a typical campaign. He mobilized youth. He mobilized the internet and cell phone messaging. He projects a physical IMAGE that has quickly already become graphically ICONIC internationally. (Why did those Thais I observed TOUCH his picture? Is that odd?) He personally may turn out to be a monumental failure and that would of course lessen his potential global impact. Back to the Thai subject, Thais appear to respond culturally to image and trendiness, so I do think there is potential for some kind of noticeable influence on Thai politics, but even if that happens, of course it is too early to tell exactly what that would be. I don't mean that Obama himself is interested in Thai politics other than the usual issues of Thai-American relations, I mean I wonder whether Thais themselves will react to the Obama phenom in their own way and adapt it to their culture.

Edited by Jingthing

Newsweek recently asserted that this current US election was a GLOBAL election. I agree to some extent but don't really think Thai's would go so far as to feel that Obama is "our president too" which if course, he is not. The salient point that relates to this topic is the quote: To the rest of the world America's election is about change but not just at home.

Well, the change brand won. The question remains, does this really mean anything to Thailand?

Newsweek magazine cover story abstract

COVER: The Global Election (All overseas editions). London Bureau Chief Stryker McGuire reports on why the world is fascinated by the U.S. presidential election. In country after country, polls show record-high fascination with the outcome of the U.S. elections this Tuesday. To the rest of the world America's election is about change but not just at home. Jonathan Freedland, a columnist for The Guardian in London, says the past seven years have been a long, painful public education for the world in the importance of decisions made by the United States. "Two wars and a global financial crisis-those events, at least to some extent, had their origins in decisions taken in Washington." What's more, the connection between the world and the occupant of the Oval Office has become deeply personal," says Constanze Stelzenmüller, director of the Berlin office of the German Marshall Fund. "In a globalized world," she says, "America's president can shape lives worldwide. He is our president, too."
Edited by Jingthing

Newsweek recently asserted that this current US election was a GLOBAL election. I agree to some extent but don't really think Thai's would go so far as to feel that Obama is "our president too" which if course, he is not. The salient point that relates to this topic is the quote: To the rest of the world America's election is about change but not just at home.

Well, the change brand won. The question remains, does this really mean anything to Thailand?

Newsweek magazine cover story abstract

COVER: The Global Election (All overseas editions). London Bureau Chief Stryker McGuire reports on why the world is fascinated by the U.S. presidential election. In country after country, polls show record-high fascination with the outcome of the U.S. elections this Tuesday. To the rest of the world America's election is about change but not just at home. Jonathan Freedland, a columnist for The Guardian in London, says the past seven years have been a long, painful public education for the world in the importance of decisions made by the United States. "Two wars and a global financial crisis-those events, at least to some extent, had their origins in decisions taken in Washington." What's more, the connection between the world and the occupant of the Oval Office has become deeply personal," says Constanze Stelzenmüller, director of the Berlin office of the German Marshall Fund. "In a globalized world," she says, "America's president can shape lives worldwide. He is our president, too."

I appreciate Obama as a fresh start and sure the people here (Thais) do as well, but as usual and its been this way since JFK, goverment's around the world are not elected, they are defeated.

I appreciate Obama as a fresh start and sure the people here (Thais) do as well, but as usual and its been this way since JFK, goverment's around the world are not elected, they are defeated.

You told us a few posts previously that Thais couldn't care -make your mind up - not that anyone listens to you.

Edited by Neeranam

I would think that the Thais are more worried about trade issues, such as paying no taxes on their exports to the USA, as compared to goods imported to Thailand from the USA, which are heavily taxed. How will the new president get Americans back to work and the country prospering with such inept business dealings, not to go into the subject of just giving money away. I hope our new president will address such issues in favor of Americans. I also hope that he will bring our men and women in uniform back home and stop fighting wars which don't affect our borders.

I would think that the Thais are more worried about trade issues ...

Of course, trade issues are important. But I would argue even more important to Thailand is somehow finding a way to resolve the long standing political crisis here and a very divided country, some have even gone as far to fear civil war here. Thais are saying the country has gone 20 years backwards in democratic progress. Here is an example of dramatic political change and transfer of power without any bloodshed, a striking example that democracy can still work and perhaps that the example of America can still be relevant.

Note: there is a separate officially sanctioned thread dedicated to talking about the specifically American aspects of this election. I am hoping this thread can stay mostly about the potential Thailand implications of Obama phenom.

Edited by Jingthing

Well time will tell whether he can follow though on his promises for change.

I believe he can if given enough time and suppport from the people around him.

As for what the influence to Thailand he will bring about, it will provide a positive image rather than the typically stereo type of a black person. That a person's character and ablilites are not to be judged by the colour of he/her skin.

It also gives hope to minorities in the US and to some extent here that there are opportunies available for any one from any race to succeed in life. :o

Guest Bellini

GUIDELINES FOR PRE-SCHOOLERS

Education Ministry inspired by Obama's policies

SIRIKUL BUNNAG

071108_new01.jpg

Kasama: Educating

parents the key

Barack Obama's education policies have inspired the Education Ministry to change its own policies in the early childhood sector.

Changes inspired by the US president-elect's platform will be introduced as guidelines in national education development for the 2009 academic year.

She urged directors of education zones to study Mr Obama's "Zero to Five" policy from his website and adopt it as a development guideline.

Source: Bangkok Post - November 7, 2008

Guest Bellini

Somebody at the Ministry of Education certainly seems to be inspired by Obama. Will the individual directors of education zones correctly understand what they read on Obama's website and adapt it to Thailand in a suitable fashion?

www.barackobama.com/issues/education

From what I observe, Thais don't really care about Obama or his "inspirational" message. Like Midori said - they don't relate to black-white issues in the US, it's a non-event.

In popular culture half of US presidents are already black, from Morgan Freeman to Dennis Harbert (of 24). They also have Densel Washington and Wesley Snipes and a whole bunch of other cool black actors, singers and athletes. The Obama guy is just the newest one in que, nothing special, let alone "iconic".

The Obama guy is just the newest one in que, nothing special, let alone "iconic".

Well, I disagree with that, but it probably depends on which countries we are talking about. For example to this day JFK is iconic in Ireland. I have read that many of the poor of Africa believe that the Obama victory means Obama will build them roads (he won't) but even when he will disappoint them I think Obama will be an icon in many countries in Africa maybe forever, like Nelson Mandella.

Whether Obama becomes an icon in Thai eyes, well, that is part of the question I am asking which nobody of course can answer with certainty.

post-37101-1226047967_thumb.jpg

BTW, I disagree with the politics of this graphic, but more evidence that the Obama image is already an international ICON, and he hasn't even taken office yet!

post-37101-1226048313_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know about Africa, but in Thailand neither he nor JFK are iconic.

He needs to DO something to get talked about here, simply being elected is not nearly enough. Bush has invaded two countries against loud protests from all over the world - that's a tough man for you, that's the spirit. I hope Obama finds a better venue to prove himself.

So far Al Gore's campaign has been far more inspirational, btw. He really breathed life into the green movement. Let's see if Obama can top that.

>>>

I completely understand the overwhelming feelings that americans want to share with the whole wide world, I'm just saying that in this part of the world your triumph is slightly underappreciated. Don't expect too much of a change from Thais, that's it.

I'm just saying that in this part of the world your triumph is slightly underappreciated.

You may be right. I really don't know. But can someone address my question about whether it is strange behavior for Thai people to want to TOUCH the picture of a political leader in a newspaper? This was new to me.

I'm just saying that in this part of the world your triumph is slightly underappreciated.

You may be right. I really don't know. But can someone address my question about whether it is strange behavior for Thai people to want to TOUCH the picture of a political leader in a newspaper? This was new to me.

Well Jing, I think you are onto something. If I had dollar for every Thai that made reference to (their) black skin, I would not have to worry about the current exchange rate for my (Canadian) dollar.

I can't help but think that the fact the USA elected a black man will be positive for the many darker-skinned Thais, even if only on a sub-conscious level.

This is an important election on a social level for the whole world.

Having said that, his timing could have been better. :o

Somebody at the Ministry of Education certainly seems to be inspired by Obama. Will the individual directors of education zones correctly understand what they read on Obama's website and adapt it to Thailand in a suitable fashion?

www.barackobama.com/issues/education

Well, possibly there is more to it than that. It is a sign that someone from the ruling government PPP thinks channeling a relation to Obama is a powerful thing to do. Obviously, this is a mild reaction so far, but just perhaps, a sign of things to come from either the PPP or other parties.

Edited by Jingthing

Although the fact that Americans have managed to overcome their unfortunate history of race relations - sadly something I don't expect Europe to do any time in the near future

Whoa, hold the horses!

"Just" because the new president is a shade darker than his predecessors does not make the USA overcome their race problems; which, I postulate, have not existed in Europe at least for a generation. And while it is true that no European country has a colored president, it is also a fact that Europe did not import such insane masses of people from Africa, so you will have to put this little statistical fact in there.

I would rather gather that the Bush administration did such a good job of f*cking up the USA that the people would rather take anybody else as their president than another one of Bush's ilk.

Does this actually have any relationship to Thai politics or the inherent Thai racism. I would guess not at all. Maybe the fact that neighboring giant China is ruled by Chinese is much more significant, looking at their skins' color.

SIRIKUL BUNNAG

071108_new01.jpg

parents the key

Barack Obama's education policies have inspired the Education Ministry to change its own policies in the early childhood sector.

Changes inspired by the US president-elect's platform will be introduced as guidelines in national education development for the 2009 academic year.

She urged directors of education zones to study Mr Obama's "Zero to Five" policy from his website and adopt it as a development guideline.

That's hilarious, thanks. Sounds like the Dept. of Education is really going the extra mile here.

SIRIKUL BUNNAG

071108_new01.jpg

parents the key

That's hilarious, thanks. Sounds like the Dept. of Education is really going the extra mile here.

Thai government planning at its best; without having statistics, or researched anything, lets just copy some stuff for a website and roll it out countrywide. The base assumption that children in the first world are absolutely the same as the kids back in Isaan must be just true!

Edited by jts-khorat