Smooooking

dazdaz

So i'll be in my favourite country sitting on the beach Xmas day and I like to smoke my special and favourite Cuban cigars.

Are these banned in Thailand, because afaik in some countries they ban the importation of Cuban cigars and i'd hate to loose my Cohiba's upon entry :-)

So i'll be in my favourite country sitting on the beach Xmas day and I like to smoke my special and favourite Cuban cigars.

Are these banned in Thailand, because afaik in some countries they ban the importation of Cuban cigars and i'd hate to loose my Cohiba's upon entry :-)

I thought they were only banned in the US? Just politics, right?

I seriously doubt you'd have any problem at customs...

I think it it also illegal for any American to smoke them, according to your Law. :o:D

I think it it also illegal for any American to smoke them, according to your Law. :o:D

Yeah, in America.

Frankly, laws have never really influenced what I've smoked... :D

Yeah, in America.

:D:D

You might find that George and his mates have made it Illegal for any American to smoke Cubans in any country, not just in the USA.

I think it it also illegal for any American to smoke them, according to your Law. :D:o

Yeah, in America.

You might find that George and his mates have made it Illegal for any American to smoke Cubans in any country, not just in the USA.

Good Luck, George :D

I think it it also illegal for any American to smoke them, according to your Law. :D:o

Yeah, in America.

Good Luck, George :D

If I remember rightly Americans are not allowed to smoke cuban cigars anywhere in the world, I wonder if Bush has set up a task force to arrest these American criminals.

Have a look in the below link.

Meanwhile, don't worry. If you come from a free and democratic country (you stated UK) you are free to smoke and/or buy your Cuban cigars in Thailand.

It is only prohibited for US-citizens who are in a kind of war with Cuba.

Importer in Thailand, I believe, is Pacific Cigars, shops in the major hotels in Bangkok, at least.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18641&hl=

Check out Foodland and Woodstock on Nana. Both have a good selection of cigars. Best of all is the Regen Hotel's selection!

Regent's, Oriental Hotel, Peninsula for sure.

Woodstock I do not know, but Foodland for a decent Cohiba I doubt.

I mentioned the importer, believe headoffice in Hong Kong. They do cover the market of Cuban cigars in LoS for abt. 7-80% and go for the upper end outlets

Yeah, in America.

I second that notion.

If I remember rightly Americans are not allowed to smoke cuban cigars anywhere in the world, I wonder if Bush has set up a task force to arrest these American criminals.

It's against the law for any nationality to bring/import Cuban cigars (or any other Cuban product) into the USA because of the ridiculous US trade embargo against Cuba.

There's no law that says Americans can't smoke Cuban cigars though, and American tourists do so in great numbers in neighbouring Mexico and Canada (not to mention Thailand :o. )

It's against the law for any nationality to bring/import Cuban cigars (or any other Cuban product) into the USA because of the ridiculous US trade embargo against Cuba.

There's no law that says Americans can't smoke Cuban cigars though, and American tourists do so in great numbers in neighbouring Mexico and Canada (not to mention Thailand  :o. )

According to this topic, Americans are not allowed to smoke Cuban cigars - anywhere:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=cuban+cigars

There's no law that says Americans can't smoke Cuban cigars though, and American tourists do so in great numbers in neighbouring Mexico and Canada (not to mention Thailand  :o. )

According to this topic, Americans are not allowed to smoke Cuban cigars - anywhere:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=cuban+cigars

Although the VOA News did publish such a report in October of this year, I could find no other mention of this alleged policy anywhere else on the Web, so I remain sceptical. All other mentions on the web quote the VOA announcement. Very odd it doesn't come up in any English-language media except when quoting the VOA. How could such a change in policy have gone unnoticed by major US (or British, for that matter) dailies?

Having listened to the VOA on the subject of Myanmar and China, I know that a healthy percentage of what they report isn't factual. The VOA may have intended the announcement as propaganda designed to demoralise Cubans, etc.

I did read the official US Treasury Dept announcement on the web, in pdf form and dated 30 Sep 04 (a week before the VOA News made itsreport), reiterating that it's illegal for Americans to purchase Cuban cigars, whether in Cuba or elsewhere. This announcement (which is also cited on the other tv.com thread) says nothing about the consumption of Cuban cigars, only purchase.

So I think the VOA report is erroneous.

If not, of course I stand corrected. In which case law-abiding yanks will have to stick to pre-embargo Cuban cigars (60 quid and up per stick). Not that any American would pay any attention to such a law ...

actual treasury dept FAQ

Although the VOA News did publish such a report in October of this year, I could find no other mention of this alleged policy anywhere else on the Web....

What you say does make a lot of sense! I found the VOA on-line article and it says exactly what George posted. But I too find it more than odd that it hasn't been reported elsewhere. So I've sent them an email asking them if their story is true!! Let's see what happens :o

You should bring your own supply for your entire stay due to the high prices here. Cubans are available and legal but a bit expensive. I'm returning next week and will bring at least a 4 month supply. Last Cubans I priced were at the airport, a box of Montecristo #3 was 8500 Baht. Not a bad price actually but that is duty-free, probably much more at retail price.

I like sitting out on my lanai in the morning with a cigar and the newspaper. The GF dosen't like it, but one a day, outside, is the accepted compromise.

Got a reply from VOA:

This is the announcement on the Treasury website:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/o...ons/ccigar2.pdf

While it makes general reference to purchase of Cuban cigars in 3rd

party countries, it doesn't go into detail about how it would enforce

any consumption of such cigars by Americans outside the country. The

main emphasis seems to be against import.

The treasury web site does say that US citizens may not purchase Cuban origin goods in a third country for personal use outside the US.

Unfortunately, it doesn't give the number to call if you spot one of these transgressors. :o

Another reply from VOA:

VOA Worldwide English Division Director, Neal Lavon, confirmed that the Cuban Cigar story is true, including the third paragraph.

VOA Audience Mail Staff

US Tightens Restrictions on Cuban Cigars

By VOA News

6 October 2004

The United States Treasury Department has tightened its prohibitions against U.S. citizens importing or consuming Cuban cigars.

The department's Office of Foreign Assets Control has announced in a notice posted on the Internet that even Americans licensed to bring back up to $100 worth of Cuban goods will no longer be allowed to include tobacco products in what they carry. Previously, those licensed were exempted from what was otherwise a total import ban on Cuban tobacco products.

The notice also clarifies that Americans are barred from not  only purchasing Cuban goods in foreign countries, but also from consuming them in those countries.

The penalties for violating the prohibitions include maximum criminal fines for individuals  of $250,000 and imprisonment for up to 10 years. Corporations can be fined as much as a million dollars.

:D:D:D:D:D:o:D

I still don't see how the US has legal juristiction here. It's simply bullshit afaik.

What a citizen of country a does in country b, is dictated by country b and not country a.

I still don't believe it, but then the US has become a disused and overflowing toilet for the world. It's one convenience that you don't want to use ;-)

Guess you are right dazdaz and Thailand should be very upset with the USA, meddling in such a way with her internal affairs.

But than believe the big Texan brother does not care too much for Thai (and other countries') feelings.

Guess you are right dazdaz and Thailand should be very upset with the USA, meddling in such a way with her internal affairs.

But than believe the big Texan brother does not care too much for Thai (and other countries') feelings.

I wonder just how much autonomy the US Treasury Department has? Maybe they don't have to refer to Dubya to make such "pronouncements"?