I'm Stuck In Chang Mai

el gaucho

I'm loving Chang Mai, but dying to head south for the beaches. I was going to go to krabi and Lanta, but the weather is terrible I understand?

Can anyone confirm this please?

Any other coastal destinations anyone can recommend? Maybe Kho Chang?

Thanks in advance!

EG

Weather's OK in the south.

Forget Phuket or Samui, too touristy especially this time of year!

Koh Lanta rocks, have to agreewith Jockstar. From Lanta, take a longtail to Koh Jum for a night, it's only 15 mins away. The most idyllic, perfect escape anywhere in the whole of Thailand.

Stay at Joy Bungalows where the boats drop you off. No electric on the island, just oil lamps, an ocean breeze and mossie nets - WICKED!

:o

Koh Lanta rocks, have to agreewith Jockstar. From Lanta, take a longtail to Koh Jum for a night, it's only 15 mins away. The most idyllic, perfect escape anywhere in the whole of Thailand.

Stay at Joy Bungalows where the boats drop you off. No electric on the island, just oil lamps, an ocean breeze and mossie nets - WICKED!

:o

Andaman sea is generally better than the Gulf of Thailand in November and December. You might give the islands off Trang or Satun a try too, for some more laid-back beach action without too many other tourists. For more action, head for Ao Nang or Raileh beach near Krabi, or Koh Phi Phi.

:D

thats no good, where can i charge my phone or cool my beer? :o

I'm loving Chang Mai, but dying to head south for the beaches. I was going to go to krabi and Lanta, but the weather is terrible I understand?

Can anyone confirm this please?

Any other coastal destinations anyone can recommend? Maybe Kho Chang?

Thanks in advance!

EG

Ko Karm. Go to Trat, get ferry to Ko Mahk, then transfer to Ko Karm (as I vaguely recall)

Haven't been to Krabi for a while, but the hotels just behind the first wave of lodgings on Ao Nang Beach are central and are fairly cheap. The island where Morakot (Emerald) Cave is that Teatotaller is talking about is Koh Muk just southwest of Trang, a 20-minute ferry ride from the mainland. Go to the cave early in the morning at low tide before all the tourists get there. A guy collects money off of everyone from about 8 or 9 O'clock, but if you get there before you should get in for free.

God I wish I hadn't bothered with Ao Nang: what a shit hole! Really nice scenery, but full of tourists and tacky shops: and so many Italian restaurants!!

Headed for Ko jum: thanks for the recommendations guys: loevly island.

Stayed at Woodland Lodge (just north of Joy House): so much tranquility, but how long will it last.

Now on Koh Lanta: not as quiet, but still nice, more to do.