Ubc's New Package

Longsands

After UBC went down (again!) and subsequent email to them I received this reply. I wonder if the technicians wear numbers and I get to choose the one of my fancy?

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you very much for your support in our service. With regards to your inquiry, UBC would like to inform you that we have already resent the signal for you. Please check your signal once again. If you could not recieve the signal, please reset your decoder again. If the problem still persist, kindly inform us back and we will arrange the technician to service you. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience that may have caused.

Should you have any further queries, please contact our customer service at tel: 0-2271-7171 or email; [email protected]

Best regards,

Customer Service Support

hehe, could almost be a machine generated response...

After all the troubles I have read recently I will not be getting ubc, although persuading my wife that will be another story :o

BTW, we have PTV via cable at the moment.

and we will arrange the technician to service you.

hmmm...was considering getting UBC but don't like the idea of being serviced by one of their technicians :o

All depends on if the technician is a pretty woman or not, and if the service involved oil and some gentle rubbing.

UBC is a rip-ff - get PSI satellite ! No subscription and premiership football every weekend !!!

hmmm...was considering getting UBC but don't like the idea of being serviced by one of their technicians :o

All depends on if the technician is a pretty woman or not, and if the service involved oil and some gentle rubbing.

UBC is a rip-ff - get PSI satellite ! No subscription and premiership football every weekend !!!

So where do I get it and what's the initial cost? Also, what other channels are available? Thx in advance.

So where do I get it and what's the initial cost? Also, what other channels are available? Thx in advance.

There website is http://www.psisat.com, but it's in thai, so i'm not sure how useful it is to you. There's a shop below Phrakanong bts (opposite side to the post office) that just sells it, and i heard there other small electronics shop that do it, but it doesn't seem to be widely available or very well advertised. Originally, the price was 17000bht for everything, including large motorised dish, sat box and installation, but it has recently been reduced to 14,500bht, which is about the same as getting UBC installed. I got mine installed for 13,000bht because one of my thai neighbours installs satellite dishes and tv aerials, so it's a good idea to ask your local tv aerial guy.

Most of the 300 or so channels are crap (indian, Arab and chinese), but if you take your time looking there a number of good channels. Here are some of my faves:-

BBC WORLD

STARSPORTS (CHINA VERSION-no soccer, but have rugby, f1, tennis etc)

MTV INDONESIA

BLOOMBERG (TO CHECK ALL MY INVESTMENTS)

TRACE TV - GOOD MUSIC CHANNEL

MATV - SHOWS HK ACTION MOVIES (SOME SUBTITLED)

NOW - LOTS OF STUFF ON LATEST COMPUTER GAMES

FASHION TV

The indonesia satellite, PALAPA, shows the premiership football every weekend on channel MWD. It also shows a lot of english stuff (movies and u.s series) in the late evening.

The only thing i miss from UBC is a good premium movie channel and Larry King on CNN, but with the amount i save on subscription, i got broadband internet and i rent the latest movies from tsutaya, and it still less than UBC - that's why i say UBC is a rip-off !!

Thanks for the info Zovox. When the missus gets home I'll ask her to check out the website.

I've heard people in the south can pick up Malaysian satellite signals using an Astra dish. I gather the initial cost is 10-14,000 baht, but after that it's subscription free. The channels include most of the UBC package including Star World, Star Movies, HBO, ESPN, Star Sports...etc. I'll try and get some contact details and post them here.

Thanks for the info Zovox. When the missus gets home I'll ask her to check out the website.

I've heard people in the south can pick up Malaysian satellite signals using an Astra dish. I gather the initial cost is 10-14,000 baht, but after that it's subscription free. The channels include most of the UBC package including Star World, Star Movies, HBO, ESPN, Star Sports...etc. I'll try and get some contact details and post them here.

If anybody tries to sell you astro, DON'T get it !! because they're trying to dump there old equipment on you. Astro recently changed their encryption, rendering all current pirate decoders/sat boxes useless. That's why a lot of hotels and apartments no longer offer satellite channels because they were using pirate sat boxes.

If you wait about a year, there may be new equipment with a new hack for the new encryption, but the new encryption astro are using is very good, so i wouldn't hold your breath.

If anybody tries to sell you astro, DON'T get it !! because they're trying to dump there old equipment on you. Astro recently changed their encryption, rendering all current pirate decoders/sat boxes useless. That's why a lot of hotels and apartments no longer offer satellite channels because they were using pirate sat boxes.

If you wait about a year, there may be new equipment with a new hack for the new encryption, but the new encryption astro are using is very good, so i wouldn't hold your breath.

ASTRO is still available but now you have to pay.The packages start from Baht11,800.

I have all the news channels,sports channels along with Nat Geo,Discovery along with a host of free Malay Channels.

One can also try John Clarke @ http://www.jsat.tv

ASTRO is still available but now you have to pay.The packages start from Baht11,800.

I have all the news channels,sports channels along with Nat Geo,Discovery along with a host of free Malay Channels.

Where did you get your decoder and card for ASTRO? Did you get from jsat ?Astro themselves only issue cards and decoders if you have a Malaysian address.

Where did you get your decoder and card for ASTRO? Did you get from jsat ?Astro themselves only issue cards and decoders if you have a Malaysian address.

I got mine from Psisat and they organise the card from Malaysia.It's an official card and PsiSat offer the decoders also.

Jsat is another company.

I got mine from Psisat and they organise the card from Malaysia.It's an official card and PsiSat offer the decoders also.

Jsat is another company.

How much monthly/yearly subscription are you paying for the card ? Also, how much was the decoder ? Thanks !

Jsat is another company.

How much monthly/yearly subscription are you paying for the card ? Also, how much was the decoder ? Thanks !

tf3000cipro.jpg

Baht11,800 per year (subscription) and the Dish(10ft),Decoder(Topfield TF3000 CIp Pro) ,installation Baht25,000

Thanks to both of you. As it's Xmas I'm going to treat myself to a dish. The info you've posted will help me reach a decision.

One question however, why do memebers of this forum use the quote function when their comment directly refers to the last post. It seems totally unnecessary.

BTW- A 10-foot dish (assuming that's the diameter) seems v.big.

Thanks to both of you. As it's Xmas I'm going to treat myself to a dish. The info you've posted will help me reach a decision.

One question however, why do memebers of this forum use the quote function when their comment directly refers to the last post. It seems totally unnecessary.

You need a big dish because the satellites are over other countries, so the signal is weaker in Thailand, but 10ft is a bit excessive - 7.5/8ft is enough.

Why i use the quote ?

I have no idea, i just followed everybody else and it looks pretty on the screen. I guess it does help you track your particular line of conversation, especially when there are many people inputting.

You need a big dish because the satellites are over other countries, so the signal is weaker in Thailand, but 10ft is a bit excessive - 7.5/8ft is enough.

Why i use the quote ?

I have no idea, i just followed everybody else and it looks pretty on the screen. I guess it does help you track your particular line of conversation, especially when there are many people inputting.

I would contact http://www.jsat.tv first and see what he has to offer.I was getting the FREE Astro before September so I had no real choice but to get the PAY Package.If you want John's mobile from JSAT,then PM me.

UBC might be a rip off at the price they charge,but at least you know what you are paying for up front. Sky in UK started off for free,then added one pay film channel, then charged for every channel,then charged extra for special films or Football matches,now for football all you get for your subscription is one or two matches a week. The rest you must pay extra for. Same with films. For your subscription fee you get all the old films to see an up-to-date film again you must pay another charge. That's a rip off

UBC might be a rip off at the price they charge,but at least you know what you are paying for up front. Sky in UK started off for free,then added one pay film channel, then charged for every channel,then charged extra for special films or Football matches,now for football all you get for your subscription is one or two matches a week. The rest you must pay extra for. Same with films. For your subscription fee you get all the old films to see an up-to-date film again you must pay another charge. That's a rip off

I agree with you that sky is a rip-off. But sky only had free programming at the start to get people to buy the equipment. It was obvious that once they had enough people with the satellite equipment, they would start to charge. Psi in thailand is pointed at about 10 satellites, with about 300 free channels, so there will always free channels available - it's just that the channels will change, sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worst. Also, in the future, UBC will undoubtedly offer pay-per-view and you'll find that much of what you are watching now, is no longer free.

Dream Tv from the philipines is still available.

Feel free to gamble on it since sooner or later they will upgrade ther encoding system as well.

On the other hand, buy the equipment, try to watch for free as long as it lasts, and afterwards you can still get genuine subscriptions for a lot less then UBC charges!

Astro is a little less then 1000 Baht/month, Dream 750Baht/month.

Not sure you can get Dream cards over here though!

PSI as well as www.satthai.net can arrange the astro cards.

Euro_Pean,

You might want to invest in either an atlanta 5400 (at 7500 Baht) or an XSAT CDTV (at 5900 Baht)

For both receivers is modified firmware available which allows you to enter seca2 keys with your remote. Both ZeeTV and Astro are on seca2(also called mediaguard2).

Astro since september...

Keys freely available on the net :o

Euro_Pean,

You might want to invest in either an atlanta 5400 (at 7500 Baht) or an XSAT CDTV (at 5900 Baht)

For both receivers is modified firmware available which allows you to enter seca2 keys with your remote. Both ZeeTV and Astro are on seca2(also called mediaguard2).

Astro since september...

Keys freely available on the net  :o

Have they hack the new encryption for astro already ? If so, can i buy a decoder/card for my psi sat box (DP303) to recieve it ?

Dream Tv from the philipines is still available.

Feel  free to gamble on it since sooner or later they will upgrade ther encoding system as well.

On the other hand, buy the equipment, try to watch for free as long as it lasts, and afterwards you can still get genuine subscriptions for a lot less then UBC charges!

Astro is a little less then 1000 Baht/month, Dream 750Baht/month.

Not sure you can get Dream cards over here though!

PSI as well as www.satthai.net can arrange the astro cards.

Euro_Pean,

Astro since september...

Keys freely available on the net  :o

I contacted satthai.net and they say there is no reciever that can give you free astro. the codes on their site are old, and are not a hack for the new encryption.