Did The Wetseason End In First Week Of November 2008?

PeaceBlondie

Sure feels like it, PB.

Slept under my comforter last 2 nights, no fan, windows open a crack.

Unless there is a late season typhoon that hits the north of Vietnam, I would say it is a good call....no rain till April/May.

On the CR forum, locals are reporting people gathering up materials to burn, as we speak.

Burn, Baby, Burn... :D

OK, over to you, Smoke People.... :o

Sure feels like it, PB.

Slept under my comforter last 2 nights, no fan, windows open a crack.

Unless there is a late season typhoon that hits the north of Vietnam, I would say it is a good call....no rain till April/May.

On the CR forum, locals are reporting people gathering up materials to burn, as we speak.

Burn, Baby, Burn... :D

OK, over to you, Smoke People.... :o

Well, thanks, McG! Sorry you are worn out by the discussion already!

We "smoke people" have indeed not disappeared in a puff of... well ... smoke! Why? The serious seasonal problem of air pollution in Chiang Mai is still a reality unfortunately. We have all much enjoyed the weather of the past many weeks, and it isn't going to be miserable for a while yet. So, what to do?

Try learning more, for one.

There is no coherent thread regarding the Chiang Mai pollution problem on TV. It is splashed all over the place. It is hard to find all relevant threads due to confusing, vague or just misleading casual topic headings.

If you do find them, you will find a lot of speculation, dross, and some priceless but pointless statistical arguments as well as useful stuff. There are many, many useful points made in general and some specifically for personal implementation to make some individual contribution (however small) to alleviating a serious problem for Chiang Mai public health and to making Chiang Mai ultimately a very lovely and healthy place to live in and visit year round.

The issue presents a paradox: it is at once simple yet complex, particularly in lessening or eliminating the pollution. For certain, air pollution problems are both regional and transregional as well as local. But now that George Bush is gone perhaps a little more progress will be made worldwide. Unfortunately, it is not yet seen how effectively the draconian (and reasonably successful) Chinese measures taken at the time of the Olympics will translate effectively countrywide over time there or even, regionally, around Beijing. Why worry about China in particular? We are downwind. But that's another story. Something can be done here.

If you do want to keep up to date. If you do want to support Chiang Mai-based action, then support Dr. Duongchan Apavatjrut Charoenmuang and UDIF, The Urban Development Foundation, a local organization. The web site is: www.udif.or.th. The email address is: <e-mail address removed>.

Dr. Duongchan has studied and continues to study the pollution situation along with her colleagues in a few departments at Chiang Mai University. She has written Sustainable Cities in Chiang Mai: A Case of a City in a Valley (ISBN: 978-974-672-293-3) printed by Chiang Mai Sangsilp Printing Ltd., Part. (Tel.053.221.212 or 053.219.647 or email <e-mail address removed>) The book is available in English as well as in Thai. Not the best translation in the world --- indeed challenging --- but worth reading. Here, locally, as well as at authoritative organizations in Thailand and worldwide, you will find thoughtful and informed study of the situation, not idle speculation.

You will also find through Dr. Duongchan very clever, well-crafted, and useful public information tools, some of which you can distribute yourself. They are really very, very well done.

Enough for now. Thanks, McG, for the hand off! Now, over to you, cholesterol-clogged hamburger lovers! :D:D

That's why it's a bet. If it was certain one way or the other then it wouldn't be much of a bet. :o

And also last year the wet season went on and on in the Southern Gulf side (Samui etc), with heavy rain all the way into December. Perhaps some of that spilled to places further North once, but I don't think it was typical.

You're looking at a LOT more days like today in the next 2 months.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

if the rain has stopped for now, then my bet would go towards May next year for the raining season.

As I recall, every rainy season begins in May. This year, last year, every year.

Not always and not everywhere.

Last April it rained for 15 of the 30 days in Buriram.

if the rain has stopped for now, then my bet would go towards May next year for the raining season.

As I recall, every rainy season begins in May. This year, last year, every year.

Not always and not everywhere.

Last April it rained for 15 of the 30 days in Buriram.

As in Chiang Mai, it doesn't start the first day of rain. There is a period of wet, windy, hot weather before, then it becomes mostly regular, with less heat. That is May in Chiang Mai, most likely the same in Buri Ram...

Yep, it ended. Next rain will be on April 16.

What a beautiful day today! Went for bike ride and a friend reminded me of the movie Forrest Gump where he speaks of "Vi-et Nahm", where "it rained and rained and rained, and rained, and then rained some more and it rained and rained....... Aund then it cleared up"

A THAIVISA OSCAR WINNER!!!

Three guys --- Charlie, Ernie, and Bert --- sitting chowing down at the Tops Market fast food emporium on the ground floor of Kad Suan Kaew. It is a typical day in the mall It is cool and dry. Bert scares away two preschoolers playing nearby. Charlie, with fond memories, plays with himself under the table and does a continuous chick scan. Ernie reads the Chiang Mai Mail for the fifth time.

BERT: Where's your mother, you little jerks?! What? You don't speak English?! BOO! (Kids exit)

CHARLIE (spying a passing feminine target): Hey, lighten up! Willya looka that booty!!! I am ready for that, man.

BERT: You're ready for the home, man!

ERNIE (looking up from his "news"paper): Hmm? Ah! Um! Yeah! Looka that! Hey, says here it's the winter season. "RUUDO NAO," ya know? Cold.

CHARLIE: You been here too long! You don't appreciate youth on parade!"

ERNIE: Lay off! I got a memory!

BERT: Cold, huh?!

CHARLIE: That's all you've got! A memory.

BERT: Wait a minute! He said it's cold. Its stopped raining! You guys been outside? (Thinking) Maybe we could go sit in the zoo instead of here every day.

CHARLIE (as another sweet young thing passes): This IS a zoo. And I like the animals.

BERT: You got delusions of grandeur!! (To Ernie) You sure it's stopped raining? I mean, really sure?

ERNIE: Yeah. Read it right here in the Chiang Mai Mail. It's featured on the program at the next Expats Club meeting, too, on Saturday.

BERT: You sure?

ERNIE: Yeah, sure. Just check ThaiVisa!