Good Indian Food In Isaan

Laeotaekhun

Hi all.

What I am trying to establish is a list of potential clients (bars/restaurants/hotels etc.) who would appreciate a reliable company who can deliver, either, typical English "curry house" recipies, or something more sophisticated in Isaan.

Every dish would be of the highest quality with the spices & essential rare ingredients imported directly from India.

Can anyone help me in compiling this?

I think I know most of the major hotels but NOT lower level hotels/guest houses etc., so would appreciate maak maak any imput regarding any places that forum members may know, especially bars and restaurants which, normally, only have mobile numbers so are not listed in Yellow Pages etc.

Cheers in advance.

:o

Edited by Laeotaekhun

Hi all.

What I am trying to establish is a list of potential clients (bars/restaurants/hotels etc.) who would appreciate a reliable company who can deliver, either, typical English "curry house" recipies, or something more sophisticated in Isaan.

Every dish would be of the highest quality with the spices & essential rare ingredients imported directly from India.

I think I know most of the major hotels but NOT lower level hotels/guest houses etc., so would appreciate maak maak any imput regarding any places that forum members may know, especially bars and restaurants which, normally, only have mobile numbers so are not listed in Yellow Pages etc.

Cheers in advance.

Why on earth would you move to a country like Thailand with exquisite food of its own ,then try to impose a garbage food from India of all places on the local populace ? You think there are that many expats from India living there just because so many are dark skinned from honest work in the rice paddies ?

Hi all.

Cheers in advance.

:D

Why on earth would you move to a country like Thailand with exquisite food of its own ,then try to impose a garbage food from India of all places on the local populace ? You think there are that many expats from India living there just because so many are dark skinned from honest work in the rice paddies ?

"Garbage food"?

You may not like Indian food yourself and that is a matter of opinion, however Indian food is a world-wide renowned international cuisine of the highest order.

And why does it only need to cater for expats from India? Go to a curry house in any of the worlds cities and you are likely to find that most of the patrons are not Indian or even from Indian descent (Except in India, Malaysia ect).

Sure Thailand has exquisite food of it's own yet they are still happy to get stuck into a Burger or Pizza etc, and so why not another cuisine that is more similar to their own.

I say good luck to the O.P. I hope that you have done your market research, but IMO you can never be to far away from a good Ruby*. :o

* Ruby = Ruby Murray = Curry (Rhyming Slang, for the Ill-informed)

Edited by globalj

Hi all.

Cheers in advance.

"Garbage food"?

You may not like Indian food yourself and that is a matter of opinion, however Indian food is a world-wide renowned international cuisine of the highest order.

And why does it only need to cater for expats from India? Go to a curry house in any of the worlds cities and you are likely to find that most of the patrons are not Indian or even from Indian descent (Except in India, Malaysia ect).

Sure Thailand has exquisite food of it's own yet they are still happy to get stuck into a Burger or Pizza etc, and so why not another cuisine that is more similar to their own.

I say good luck to the O.P. I hope that you have done your market research, but IMO you can never be to far away from a good Ruby*. :D

As in DUMBALL maybe?

We all pick our own user names!

Hi all.

Cheers in advance.

"Garbage food"?

I say good luck to the O.P. I hope that you have done your market research, but IMO you can never be to far away from a good Ruby*. :D

As in DUMBALL maybe?

We all pick our own user names!

Now , Now , no flaming please , we are all entitled to an opinion whether you agree or not .

Quote Dumball, Why on earth would you move to a country like Thailand with exquisite food of its own

Yes, really exquisite, rubber beef,chicken full of sinews and gristle, roadside vendors food covered in dust and traffic fumes, undercooked pork, fish with so much spice it tastes like a chilli, and full of bones, list is endless. Unless of course you can afford a posh eatery every night.

Laeotaekhun, Im not a retailer, but i am a keen curry fan, Oh for a meat Madras, with chipaties and the golden circle of chutneys and pickles, mint ratia ect,

Best of luck with your venture, Cheers, Lickey.

Hi all.

Cheers in advance.

so let me get this straight, you're after a database of catering outlets in all isaan provinces; a database that contains business names, addresses, phone numbers, contact details and type of business etc... do I read this right?

Hi all.

Cheers in advance.

so let me get this straight, you're after a database of catering outlets in all isaan provinces; a database that contains business names, addresses, phone numbers, contact details and type of business etc... do I read this right?

Exactly right!

Cheeky I know but any help would be much appreciated (and rewarded) with more than the occasional curry!

Edited by Laeotaekhun

Quote Dumball, Why on earth would you move to a country like Thailand with exquisite food of its own

Yes, really exquisite, rubber beef,chicken full of sinews and gristle, roadside vendors food covered in dust and traffic fumes, undercooked pork, fish with so much spice it tastes like a chilli, and full of bones, list is endless. Unless of course you can afford a posh eatery every night.

Laeotaekhun, Im not a retailer, but i am a keen curry fan, Oh for a meat Madras, with chipaties and the golden circle of chutneys and pickles, mint ratia ect,

Best of luck with your venture, Cheers, Lickey.

Cheers Lickey.

It is my love of GOOD Indian food - plus the lack of anything resembling it (outside of Bkk) that is making me think this way.

If you are in Isaan please pm me and when I get things moving you can be my first "official" taster!

On the house, of course!

Martin at the Farang Connection does some Indian food, perhaps get in touch with him or try posting in the Issan Forum.

Apparently his stuff is very good, considering he's in the sticks (so to say). Indian is not my cup of tea, so I can't comment, however good luck on your venture.

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

Hi all.

Cheers in advance.

Exactly right!

Cheeky I know but any help would be much appreciated (and rewarded) with more than the occasional curry!

this kind of info cost a LOT more than the occasional curry, and yes you're being cheeky. go back to daydreaming pal

Martin at the Farang Connection does some Indian food, perhaps get in touch with him or try posting in the Issan Forum.

Apparently his stuff is very good, considering he's in the sticks (so to say). Indian is not my cup of tea, so I can't comment, however good luck on your venture.

John.....

Thanks mate.

What I'm thinking of is forming a company to supply any catering establishments, in Isaan, with top notch Indian food.

We would have a genuine tandoor and all of the spices that can not, normally, be obtained in Thailand will be imported from India.

Many places try to use "bottle sauces" which (to me) are as desirable as whooping cough!

What I want to provide, to catering establishments, are the sort of Indian dishes that any Englishman would be very familiar with PLUS some of the more sophisticated dishes that he may not be, ranging from starters, main dishes and vegetables to breads etc., ALL cooked to a very high standard!

A simple example would be "Vindaloo".

Most people think that it is something cooked with bucketfuls of chilli powder.

Wrong!

It is a dish cooked to ANY chilli heat - mild to HOT!

The flavour comes from the marinade which, as the name suggests, includes vinegar (originally from Goa and cooked with pork).

Every dish MUST have flavour - heat is a personal choice.

Edited by Laeotaekhun

Hi all.

Cheers in advance.

Exactly right!

this kind of info cost a LOT more than the occasional curry, and yes you're being cheeky. go back to daydreaming pal

Not a daydreamer, please see my pm!

in reply to your pm, dunno if there's such database but if there is, it'd prolly be in Thai. There are just a handful of foreign outlets outside the main touristic areas. In any case such detailed file will cost you a lot of money, if you want it all nice a packaged. However it can partially be achieved on your own but it requires a lot of legwork, the right contacts and knowledge. If you pose that question here it means you haven't got clue, sorry to be blunt mate.

I'm curious to know why you chosen Isaan, considering that there are just a few expats there and also to the fact that thais don't really like indian. mind you, I love it and agree that Blighty offers the best version outside India.

in reply to your pm, dunno if there's such database but if there is, it'd prolly be in Thai. There are just a handful of foreign outlets outside the main touristic areas. In any case such detailed file will cost you a lot of money, if you want it all nice a packaged. However it can partially be achieved on your own but it requires a lot of legwork, the right contacts and knowledge. If you pose that question here it means you haven't got clue, sorry to be blunt mate.

I'm curious to know why you chosen Isaan, considering that there are just a few expats there and also to the fact that thais don't really like indian. mind you, I love it and agree that Blighty offers the best version outside India.

Cheers mate.

I have, already, a reasonable database of potential clients.

What I am hoping for is that board members can help me to complete it (no database is ever 100% accurate).

In relation to your question, maybe the 20,000 ferangs in Udon Thani province alone (Thai Government figures) would consider themselves to be more than "a few"!

Homework is all!

Thai people hate Indian food. Presumably most farang in Isaan live a Thai partner who, like my wife, just cannot even stand the smell of the stuff. I doubt that there is a market for Indian food anywhere in Thailand except maybe in BKK.

Thai people hate Indian food. Presumably most farang in Isaan live a Thai partner who, like my wife, just cannot even stand the smell of the stuff. I doubt that there is a market for Indian food anywhere in Thailand except maybe in BKK.

My wife loves Indian food, and yes, she is Thai.

Southern Thai fare is a little similar to Indian food, but a lot of Thais don't like the "gamey" taste / smell of lamb, for instance. Also, a lot of Thais tend to be rather disdainful of other Asian foods (and cultures) other than Chinese / Thai. Even if they have no idea what they are like... :o

My wife loves Indian food, and yes, she is Thai.

Same here.

Southern Thai fare is a little similar to Indian food, but a lot of Thais don't like the "gamey" taste / smell of lamb, for instance. Also, a lot of Thais tend to be rather disdainful of other Asian foods (and cultures) other than Chinese / Thai. Even if they have no idea what they are like... :o

Since we are voting, spot on, my wife is not an Indian fan either.

Personally, i am looking forward to the advent of curry houses in Issan, we have the Mc <deleted>, Chick King, and Pizza Hut, yes, great if you like batter and pastry,

I cook a meat/veg curry 2 times a week, the mrs loves this on a bed of sticky rice, although its hot, she always adds a dessert spoon full of chopped green and red chillies, if there is any left over, the salon staff eat the remains at breakfast,

I can buy Waughs curry powder and basil leaves, cardoman pods in Makro, but to go to a resturant that specialises in curries would be a real treat!

Cheers, Lickey.

Personally, i am looking forward to the advent of curry houses in Issan, we have the Mc <deleted>, Chick King, and Pizza Hut, yes, great if you like batter and pastry,

I cook a meat/veg curry 2 times a week, the mrs loves this on a bed of sticky rice, although its hot, she always adds a dessert spoon full of chopped green and red chillies, if there is any left over, the salon staff eat the remains at breakfast,

I can buy Waughs curry powder and basil leaves, cardoman pods in Makro, but to go to a resturant that specialises in curries would be a real treat!

Cheers, Lickey.

I'm lucky to have a Indian minimart just down the road.

Only thing they have is spices and Bollywood movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my brother in law has a bar in Khukan,sure he might be able to shift one or two a week...if they eat it outside. And I've got a mate in Nong Khai who might be able to double that!!! Only a few hundred miles apart.

I love Indian food, just finished a Lamb Madras, but if ever I have heard a non-starter as a business you have hit upon it.

Good luck but I've just come across a nice little line in underwater hula-hoops that I'm sure will catch on... :o

Edited by roamer

Nonsense, they hate Indians(don't realise the Buddha was one)but love the food.

What about roti, kao mok gai, masaman?

Hi all.

Cheers in advance.

Laeotaekhun

Have tried to message you but you seem to be unavailable

Maybe I have something for you. Give me a PM

Nick

John.....

Thanks mate.

What I'm thinking of is forming a company to supply any catering establishments, in Isaan, with top notch Indian food.

We would have a genuine tandoor and all of the spices that can not, normally, be obtained in Thailand will be imported from India.

Many places try to use "bottle sauces" which (to me) are as desirable as whooping cough!

What I want to provide, to catering establishments, are the sort of Indian dishes that any Englishman would be very familiar with PLUS some of the more sophisticated dishes that he may not be, ranging from starters, main dishes and vegetables to breads etc., ALL cooked to a very high standard!

A simple example would be "Vindaloo".

Most people think that it is something cooked with bucketfuls of chilli powder.

Wrong!

It is a dish cooked to ANY chilli heat - mild to HOT!

The flavour comes from the marinade which, as the name suggests, includes vinegar (originally from Goa and cooked with pork).

Every dish MUST have flavour - heat is a personal choice.

I'm afraid you're too late. A guy called Gary from Prasad is doing exactly what you are suggesting and has been for a year. And his food is fantastic. Pop along to the FC and try it. You can even have a ' Surindaloo" All meals served with Nan,Poppadums, Indian mint dressing, mango chutney and Pilau rice. Bargees & Samosa'a extra.