What Is Your Opinion Of The Expat Scene In Thailand?

sassienie

A few years ago, I happened to be seated next to a very straight laced looking lady on her way to London via Bangkok. She told me she and her husband's experience of expat communities anywhere were to be avoided at all costs. Well, just take a look at the number one topic this evening re the sexual appeal or otherwise, with a 'poll' no less, of a fugitive and devisive demagogue's young daughter.

Their are 'expats', and there are those that have chosen to live in a country not of their birth.

It sounds like she probably was a world away from some lofty glitter-brigade expats seen in other countries.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that to be an expat means some 'ivory tower' corporation/company has to be paying you an 'expat package'

I know many fine expatriates who have CHOSEN to live in LOS and are self-made in getting an ordinary job and earning a decent living.

Obviously these can't, by your reckoning, be 'expats' then can they? :D

Everyone needs to take a few steps back, remember this is Asia we're in, not some prudish and rigid office with David Brent shuffling around and chill. :D

What on earth are you on about? :o

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating and interesting comments here that really does give an in-sight into the lives and thoughts of the ex-pat population here in Thailand.

Truly though, there are no rights and wrongs as to how we may view our fellow non-immigrant peers living amongst us. But it does bring certain aspects to light, especially for those who are considering throwing in the towel in their own countries and moving to Thailand.

Analysing the comments and general opinions on this thread:

There is certainly no brotherhood/sisterhood here among any ex-pat groups, nor is there likely to be any ex-pat communities such as in other countries like Spain and South Korea. Most seem to mainly indulge in self interests with self imposed segregation either with themselves or close knit circles. Again I am not suggesting that this is wrong, everyone is entitled to live their own lifestyles to what suits them.

What this does mean for those now still living in their home countries and gagging to come over to Thailand, should take into consideration that once they give up their friends and workmates back home, there is very little hope of creating the same sort of social scene with friends they can relate to and will speak their native language in Thailand.

I realized and accepted this prior to moving here 5 years ago, and have learned to enjoy my own company with just a few Thai and Farang acquaintances and that of my wife, Daughter and dogs. There are really no other options where I live and this hasn't discouraged me from enjoying my life and living it to the full.

But it is beneficial to those future European/American/Canadian/OZ/NZ long term residents to read this thread and note the comments, rather than become disillusioned and feel isolated once they are here.

sorry but thats hogwash,i have far more mates here in thailand and also i see them more regular than mates back in uk as i was working.I had many good friends in uk and some not so good but thats the same everywhere including Thailand.must admit though i have never had so many so called friends borrowing money here,some genuine and some not.dont tar everybody and everything with the same brush just because of your lifestyle.

In my 16 years plus in the LOS I've met many fellow Expats some friendly some not so friendly. I found that the Aussie, Yanks, and the American are the most friendly. Maybe thread here in the future "what country has the friendly expats in the LOS(Thailand)"?? :D:D:o:D OVER TO Y"ALL

I don't understand why you should acknowledge a fellow farang you have never met ?? You dont know them, do you do this in any other situation/country?

Well said that man.

Applause.gif

I've got plenty of farang friends, all of whom I've met in either work or social situations. The numpties who grin at me on the Skytrain or 7-Eleven get ignored.

Why?

do you ignore the Thai 'numpty' who smiles at you also?

I understand what your saying but have the same kind of circle of executives and so on and we go out every once in a while but they all seem to be put off by this type of behavior.

I find this difficult to believe. Perhaps they are a bunch of lying phonies? :o

Maybe but speaking for myself I work longer hours here than I ever worked back home in Canada or the States add the 6 day work here and I'm left with very little energy for hitting up the girly bars. I don't really find these types of girls attractive anyways so...I think we have the same oportunity to get in trouble back home and don't see how it's any different here to be honest.

I thought yanks were Americans???

tell me more if this is not true

Yes :D there is a difference :o

yanks are the ones who live at west,Americans are the ones who are living elsewhere :D

I thought Yanks were the ones riding around on 1200 cc bikes with their shirts off trying to look like an action hero :D

Don't feel any urge to meet expatriates. Sometimes have an accidental meeting at some pump on highway NR 1 when I fill my tank and have some drink outside an 7/11. When I see a farang in the supermarket I make an eye contact and have a smile, to be polite. I don't see any reason why expats must start to make acquaintances with any other expat they see, or visit expats clubs. I'm perfectly happy in my own circle of Thai friends and family.

The only expat I see once in wheel is somebody I know from my home town and both our wives have been friends since back home. Only when I make some traveling and I hear some tourist speak my language at the breakfast table I say hello with them and have some conversation about back home, and give some tips about shopping or places of interest if they ask, and even show them around if they like, if I had spare time to do it. But I never visit tourists spots in BKK Pattaya, Phuket and others so this is happens very rarely.

And certainly I stay away from beer bars where I see expats with a big L on their forehead hanging out telling how successful they are, and bragging about their sexual escapades, sitting in their short pants, singlets and slippers, slurping their Singha. Its just not my style.

Don't feel any urge to meet expatriates. Sometimes have an accidental meeting at some pump on highway NR 1 when I fill my tank and have some drink outside an 7/11. When I see a farang in the supermarket I make an eye contact and have a smile, to be polite. I don't see any reason why expats must start to make acquaintances with any other expat they see, or visit expats clubs. I'm perfectly happy in my own circle of Thai friends and family.

The only expat I see once in wheel is somebody I know from my home town and both our wives have been friends since back home. Only when I make some traveling and I hear some tourist speak my language at the breakfast table I say hello with them and have some conversation about back home, and give some tips about shopping or places of interest if they ask, and even show them around if they like, if I had spare time to do it. But I never visit tourists spots in BKK Pattaya, Phuket and others so this is happens very rarely.

And certainly I stay away from beer bars where I see expats with a big L on their forehead hanging out telling how successful they are, and bragging about their sexual escapades, sitting in their short pants, singlets and slippers, slurping their Singha. Its just not my style.

Wrong wrong wrong!!!! I drink Heineken.

Stores give you bags for purchases.....LOOSE the backpacks!!! Looks stupid.

OK schmacko, here's something for you to learn: The word you are looking for is LOSE. "Loose" means baggy; not tight; unfastened. Got it? And don't you dare try telling me that was a typo! You screwed up.

Maybe if you spent a little less of your obviously considerable wealth on propping up the Thai economy and a little more on books you could avoid these irritating mistakes.

I prescribe a trip to UG's store.

UG sort this charlatan out!

I concur. Buy my books!

(Spell check might be worth a thought as well). :o

A few years ago, I happened to be seated next to a very straight laced looking lady on her way to London via Bangkok. She told me she and her husband's experience of expat communities anywhere were to be avoided at all costs. Well, just take a look at the number one topic this evening re the sexual appeal or otherwise, with a 'poll' no less, of a fugitive and devisive demagogue's young daughter.

Their are 'expats', and there are those that have chosen to live in a country not of their birth.

It sounds like she probably was a world away from some lofty glitter-brigade expats seen in other countries.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that to be an expat means some 'ivory tower' corporation/company has to be paying you an 'expat package'

I know many fine expatriates who have CHOSEN to live in LOS and are self-made in getting an ordinary job and earning a decent living.

Obviously these can't, by your reckoning, be 'expats' then can they? :D

Everyone needs to take a few steps back, remember this is Asia we're in, not some prudish and rigid office with David Brent shuffling around and chill. :D

What on earth are you on about? :o

What are YOU on about. :D

To me and others that last post I made was pretty straightforward, except for the David Brent bit :D

Very nice responce Gary.

Tattoos, Piercings, Attitude....it is all alive and thriving here in Perth, Australia at the moment. More ink that a Rupert Murdoch get together.

Black socks and sandals? ahhhh no, not that bad yet, but a fair amount of checked shorts and striped shirts (or visa versa)

English backpackers are still the main source of loud mouthed, aggressive street behavour here in down under paradise, <deleted> is it with these goons? I live in an inner city apartment when I am here and by Christ these pommy yobs are causing some grief

Edited by khunandy

The expats who speak Thai think they are better than the ones that don't. The ones that don't speak Thai think the ones that do are 'we be Thais" or some sort of wannabes. The wealthier expats, which I think here is anyone who owns his own motor scooter, think the poorer ones are useless drifters. The poorer ones call the wealthier ones spoiled and arrogant. The young expats think the older ones are horny, old geezers and the older expats think the young ones are unwashed pot-heads. Depending on where you are from, American ex-pats are gun crazy warmongers, English are smelly drunks, French are arrogant poofs, and Australians are just weird. Much of this forum is taken up by people judging each other and trying to prove they are better than someone from some other group. Especially the guy from hyde park. And what is a potty yob and who is David Brent? Let everyone wear what they want, speak how they want and as long as what they are not doing does not harm anyone, who cares?

The expats who speak Thai think they are better than the ones that don't. The ones that don't speak Thai think the ones that do are 'we be Thais" or some sort of wannabes. The wealthier expats, which I think here is anyone who owns his own motor scooter, think the poorer ones are useless drifters. The poorer ones call the wealthier ones spoiled and arrogant. The young expats think the older ones are horny, old geezers and the older expats think the young ones are unwashed pot-heads. Depending on where you are from, American ex-pats are gun crazy warmongers, English are smelly drunks, French are arrogant poofs, and Australians are just weird. Much of this forum is taken up by people judging each other and trying to prove they are better than someone from some other group. Especially the guy from hyde park. And what is a potty yob and who is David Brent? Let everyone wear what they want, speak how they want and as long as what they are not doing does not harm anyone, who cares?

I like you- you're nice :D

And right :o

I prefer Heineken too, but I don't have an "L' on my forehead. What is up with that? :o

Wrong wrong wrong!!!! I drink Heineken. I did not know that there are still people who call heineken a beer. :o Not any beer drinker whit a little bit self-respect should drink this tasteless dishwater.

Interesting the comments on here.

Clothing speaking Thai or not who cares. Not my business.

If I can decide to study Thai or not or what I wear in public, now that is my business.

We see remarks about the Thai class system seems we have our own.

I prefer Heineken too, but I don't have an "L' on my forehead. What is up with that? :oOh another Heineken drinker who thinks that he drink beer. You should learn to drink real beer like Duvel, Hoegaerden or a Leffe. :D

I'm probably one of those non social types that so many of you don't understand. I happen to enjoy my own company and that of my Thai wife. My wife is a country girl. She doesn't own a dress or a tube of lipstick. She enjoys working on our two small farms and other than the actual tilling of the ground, I avoid the manual work.

Once a month or so, I meet up with a farang or two and have a few beers. My wife's family accept the fact that I'm a crotchety old fart and they respect my desire for privacy. Like most Thais, my wife is close to her family. Her family lives in the next village and my wife visits them on a daily basis. I'm perfectly content to stay at home. I have many projects to work on and don't get bored. This is my idea of a perfect retirement. I worked all my life looking forward to my laid back life style and I plan to enjoy it as long as I can. It's been several months since I wore long pants and shoes. I hope it is several more months before I have to dress uncomfortably. :o

hi gary how do you like living in loei province ? i have a rubber tree plantation in dan sai area ,tung nam sai ........heading back there in a few weeks again

We are about 50 kilometers south of Loei city. I like it very well here. It is peaceful and quiet as well as being scenic. Cities don't really agree with me and I much prefer the country. It would be nice to have a super store closer but I can drive the 150 kilometers to Udon Thani if I feel the need for farang things.

My over 20 years of living on and off in Thailand, I have only found a handful of my fellow expats that seem interested in becoming involved with other Farangs socially with exceptions to those who frequent the bar scene, (barmates) who will chat and when we are customers of some sort, visiting a Farang owned restaurant, bars etc.

Some Farangs may feel that Thailand is less open and far less accepting or tolerant of us than the Thais say they are, which can make one feel they are in an isolated situation and that the level of disinterest, or even rudeness occasionally illustrated by their fellow expats can be rather discerning and even considered as a type of discrimination towards their own kind, that rather puts a dampener on the whole Thai experience.

To my fellow expats, what is your opinion of the expat scene in Thailand? Do you feel that expats could be more hospitable and sociable to their peers here? Or now that you are living in Thailand, consider that this a new beginning and prefer to keep yourself to yourself, perhaps even reclusive?

What about the newbies? Would you like to see more expat support for expats? More expat social clubs, expat advice centres set up, especially for those trying to get adjusted to Thai life and don’t know the ropes yet.

I tend to socialize with people i like, some of them are expats, and some of them are thais.

As long as i don´t have to deal with too many brits or french, i am ok :o

I have found the expats here not to be particularly friendly. Maybe 20% will acknowledge me when I see them on the street, restaurant, etc. They are not at all as friendly as the Thais. Maybe a lot of social misfits. Fortunately, I have a couple of good foreign friends, where I live, that I talk with regularly.

I don't understand why you should acknowledge a fellow farang you have never met ?? You dont know them, do you do this in any other situation/country?

I must be a social misfit too. Who can be bothered striking up conversations with every Tom, Dick or Harry who says hello to you?